Santa Fe Pride: Rainbows of support

Photo: Luis Sanchez-Saturno /The New Mexican Dan Koffman, left, takes Mayor David Coss and his wife, Carol Rose, for a ride on a pedicab on Paseo de Peralta during Saturdaya TMs Santa Fe Pride Parade. Full Story
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Gnarlodious

Tempe, AZ

#1 Jun 27, 2009
Wow, such a negative impression! The parade was short, great, and not overcrowded.

Unfortunately the Railyard Park is a horrendous venue. It is physically disjointed and difficult to navigate. Many parents were seen struggling with strollers over obstacles and rough surfaces. People in a wheelchair (like myself) should stay out of the park altogether, as it is downright dangerous. Probably intentionally, to keep skateboards out. But they are also keeping the disabled out.

In addition, the grassy lawn was muddy, the DJ played space music so nobody danced, and the food concessions were more suited to the greasy street fair style. I hope someone plans next year's venue better.
Gnarlodious

Tempe, AZ

#2 Jun 27, 2009
And why does it say I am in Scottsdale, when I am obviously in Santa Fe?

Sheesh!
Gato

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Jun 28, 2009
Still can't get my head around why personal sexual practices equate with pride. It's not like it's even special, I mean everyone has a sexual component to their being. Nothing outstanding at all in that. If you're wrapping your self in pride over what you do with your sexuality, what value does that have? Seems as common as fingernails. Pride is related to outstanding achievement, not commonalities. But as usual, start a parade, and everyone follows. Kinda foolish.
Think

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Jun 28, 2009
Gato wrote:
Still can't get my head around why personal sexual practices equate with pride. It's not like it's even special, I mean everyone has a sexual component to their being. Nothing outstanding at all in that. If you're wrapping your self in pride over what you do with your sexuality, what value does that have? Seems as common as fingernails. Pride is related to outstanding achievement, not commonalities. But as usual, start a parade, and everyone follows. Kinda foolish.
harder - if you have a society where people feel they can take your rights away from you based on this identity, then you need to stand up for yourself with others who share this same aspect of identity.

Kinda foolish post.
Strange

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jun 28, 2009
That the paper would have such negative coverage. Have you "got a new attitude?"
Just asking

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jun 28, 2009
Think wrote:
<quoted text>
harder - if you have a society where people feel they can take your rights away from you based on this identity, then you need to stand up for yourself with others who share this same aspect of identity.
Kinda foolish post.
I thought it was a legit question. Not sure you answered it. What rights exactly "can be taken away". And hopefully this is not considered another foolish post.
to just asking

Santa Fe, NM

#7 Jun 28, 2009
At the time of the stonewall riots (1969), it was illegal to be gay in all fifty states. In fact, in 7 states, homosexuality was punishable by castration for men. Even today, homosexuals are actively discriminated against by the laws in this country in ways no other marginalized group is. It has been literally beaten into homosexuals to be ashamed of themselves. The "pride" movement is an attempt to counter this long and painful history.
Eideard

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Jun 28, 2009
Well, then, try "ignorant" instead of foolish.

Nothing new about the most backward elements of a society being perfectly accepting of limiting the civil rights of part of the population of that society.

Usual they base the sanction on race, religion, sex, you name it - people will find a way to smack down someone else for a stupid reason.
New Mexico Photographer

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jun 28, 2009
It was a much smaller parade than in years past, and there were no big floats. Any theories why? Was it the change of location and different organizing, or are these events growing less popular?
ouirsophuct

Rio Rancho, NM

#10 Jun 28, 2009
Eideard wrote:
Nothing new about the most backward elements of a society being perfectly accepting of limiting the civil rights of part of the population of that society.
Usual they base the sanction on race, religion, sex, you name it - people will find a way to smack down someone else for a stupid reason.
And "hate crime" laws show that those previously on the receiving end are not above applying the same to others. We're heading toward a time when its illegal to speak badly of people in a protected class.
StillCurious

Santa Fe, NM

#11 Jun 28, 2009
"if you have a society where people feel they can take your rights away"
I want to understand...what rights are people trying to take away.
to just asking wrote:
At the time of the stonewall riots (1969), it was illegal to be gay in all fifty states. In fact, in 7 states, homosexuality was punishable by castration for men. Even today, homosexuals are actively discriminated against by the laws in this country in ways no other marginalized group is. It has been literally beaten into homosexuals to be ashamed of themselves. The "pride" movement is an attempt to counter this long and painful history.

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Since: Sep 08

Sangre De Cristos

#12 Jun 28, 2009
Gato wrote:
Congratulations! You get two "spam" votes. Obviously or undereducated readers don't know what spam is. I agree with your point, btw, and wonder when i'll get my special pride day, complete with grossly re-named sandwiches because i like to walk my dog. i mean, really, is there anything less appetizing than a "gay lesbian bisexual transgender" sandwich?? yuk. But, don't worry, you can hardly throw a glbt sandwich at someone in this town without offending someone.
maybe

Rio Rancho, NM

#13 Jun 28, 2009
New Mexico Photographer wrote:
It was a much smaller parade than in years past, and there were no big floats. Any theories why? Was it the change of location and different organizing, or are these events growing less popular?
they're not so proud of being gay.

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Since: Sep 08

Sangre De Cristos

#14 Jun 28, 2009
New Mexico Photographer wrote:
that, and like most every other "organized" event in this town, you don't know about it until the day after. Unless, of course, your somehow involved with the event or an "insider".
stupidity

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Jun 28, 2009
Jimmy Green wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations! You get two "spam" votes. Obviously or undereducated readers don't know what spam is. I agree with your point, btw, and wonder when i'll get my special pride day, complete with grossly re-named sandwiches because i like to walk my dog. i mean, really, is there anything less appetizing than a "gay lesbian bisexual transgender" sandwich?? yuk. But, don't worry, you can hardly throw a glbt sandwich at someone in this town without offending someone.
is nothing to be proud of, but you can have your own day with "still clueless"
PlacitasRoy

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jun 28, 2009
ouirsophuct wrote:
<quoted text>
And "hate crime" laws show that those previously on the receiving end are not above applying the same to others. We're heading toward a time when its illegal to speak badly of people in a protected class.
There happens to be a little phrase called the 1t amendment that prevents ever making it "illegal to speak badly of people in a protected class." Even though the right-wing propaganda machine, Theo-con rapture right bigoted fund raising preachers, and hate radio make the claim, it is as bogus as claiming there is no hate crimes.
I don't understand how "'hate crime' laws" show a damn thing. They only define what a hate crime is.
Spam

Santa Fe, NM

#17 Jun 28, 2009
Jimmy Green wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations! You get two "spam" votes. Obviously or undereducated readers don't know what spam is.
is the SOS repackaged and redistributed. You hear this BS every time there is mention of this topic.
ken

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jun 28, 2009
I suspect that part of the issue with the smaller parade, etc., revolved around the problem of planning for an event in a new venue when the policies and procedures for that space were not approved until a month or so ago, and still no one seems to know exactly what was approved, since the approved version, which differed substantially from the proposed version (after two years of "planning") is still not publicly available.
For example, the beer garden was in contradiction to two separate elements of the policies as originally proposed. It's hard to plan and promote when no one knows what can be done.
Lucia Valdez

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Jun 28, 2009
WE have attended the gay pride parade in Santa Fe for 20 years. This year we did not attend.
There were many reasons for this, one we have always felt that gay pride was not only about sexual identification, but about education. We volunteered and organized pride parades in San Francisco, Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Our goal was always to educate the straight community about our existence "among them". The striaght community never saw us, we were invisible. Thus the largest parade ever was when Harvey Milk said, "out of the bars and into the streets" (and now we have a beer garden...duh). Gay Pride was a huge movement, not a special interest group. When pride was moved to the Railyard and away from the plaza, it changed the celebration. I wonder why...was it the need of the city to have the Railyard occupied when it is so often vacant? Because we could not have had booths in the interior of the plaza, we could have set up booths on the sidewalks or in the street. Our beloved city government pushed us aside...a parade down Paseo de Peralta, who sees us then, the action is in the plaza, can you see Indian Market at the Railyard, or Spanish Market or the Fiestas. The tourists at the plaza became pride participants, the dancing was an all day affair, and the business's loved us, there were other things to do, if we wanted a beer we went to La Fonda or to other businesses for food. Why didn't we go to the Gay Pride Parade because it was not a show of our strength, a statement of our political agenda, a venue where we are part of the community at large and not an isolated separtist event on the sidelines.
the last word

Grants, NM

#20 Jun 28, 2009
gay pride parades are really passe...so 90's. Isn't there another gimmick someone can come up with that would help the cause? The flamers running around in glittery panties is a really tired scene and nobody really wants to see or pay attention too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peralta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Main Street Muscle & Fitness Center Oct 6 Mark Johnson 9
Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Oct 4 jra709 183
NM utility works on 3 new solar power centers Sep '14 Solarman 9
250 manufacturing jobs coming to Los Lunas Aug '14 John Ingram 1
missing girl (Jan '12) Aug '14 sidali guerine 3
Parking and Bus Information for Indian Market Fans (Aug '12) Aug '12 Best 1
[NM] Sheriff's Sgt. Chris LaBate arrested after... (Feb '11) Mar '12 u are still a loser 12
Peralta Dating
Find my Match

Peralta Jobs

Peralta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Peralta News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Peralta

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]