States look to booze for shots to eco...

States look to booze for shots to economy

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 16, 2009, titled States look to booze for shots to economy. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

College women: Summit , 7 p.m. - UMKC at North Dakota State; Southern Utah at South Dakota State.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Motley Larry

Apopka, FL

#1 Feb 16, 2009
Minnesota,get a life,sell on Sundays,holidays,whenever.It's not your business when people buy booze or drink it.Get rid of the joke 3.2,and allow grocery stores to sell beer and wine.Church groups,get a life,people will drink booze when they see fit.If you quit trying to legislate morality,you might have more time for important things,like deciding who the he-- is senator.The whole nation is laughing about it.
Candace

Middleton, WI

#2 Feb 16, 2009
MN is becoming the butt of jokes around the country anyway. Alcoholism is on the rise, the DUI level is down to .08(I can see it hitting .06 before long) and soon you will be arrested for walking down the street if you are considered intoxicated. But on the other hand they think it's okay to make money off the sale of alcohol and free up the hours available to buy it. It is all about the money, isn't it. They will make it off the public anyway they can. Just to support the career politicians and their lifestyles.
iLBdamIfINo

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Feb 16, 2009
Candace wrote:
MN is becoming the butt of jokes around the country anyway. Alcoholism is on the rise, the DUI level is down to .08(I can see it hitting .06 before long) and soon you will be arrested for walking down the street if you are considered intoxicated. But on the other hand they think it's okay to make money off the sale of alcohol and free up the hours available to buy it. It is all about the money, isn't it. They will make it off the public anyway they can. Just to support the career politicians and their lifestyles.
Not to mention, all the freeloaders that are pouring into the state.

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

#4 Feb 16, 2009
"Six days thou shalt buy your beer and spirits. On the seventh day yea shall drink, be merry, do or watch sports, and not drive! What more can one ask for?"; an old defrocked Baptist preacher.

You can only drink so much to support taxes, sate politics, government, and the like. Government should be more fiscally responsible like it preaches and espouses. Amen and Hallelujah!
Friend

Emily, MN

#5 Feb 26, 2009
gtVoyageur wrote:
"Six days thou shalt buy your beer and spirits. On the seventh day yea shall drink, be merry, do or watch sports, and not drive! What more can one ask for?"; an old defrocked Baptist preacher.
You can only drink so much to support taxes, sate politics, government, and the like. Government should be more fiscally responsible like it preaches and espouses. Amen and Hallelujah!
Enough with the preaching about god. When we need him he is not here. If a store wants to sell on Sunday they should be able to.
Stocked for Sunday

Clifton, TN

#6 Mar 30, 2009
Motley Larry wrote:
Minnesota,get a life,sell on Sundays,holidays,whenever.It's not your business when people buy booze or drink it.Get rid of the joke 3.2,and allow grocery stores to sell beer and wine.Church groups,get a life,people will drink booze when they see fit.If you quit trying to legislate morality,you might have more time for important things,like deciding who the he-- is senator.The whole nation is laughing about it.
Couldn't agree more with ya man. You hit the nail with that one.

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

#7 Mar 31, 2009
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough with the preaching about god. When we need him he is not here. If a store wants to sell on Sunday they should be able to.
Friend[?];
You must be thirsty,'friend'! I wasn't preaching but quoting a former preacher. You have six days to buy spirits, wines, and beer to stock your libation stocks. Why waste gas etc. on Sundays to buy libations? Don't you have one day a week for yourself, family, or friends without running around for beverages?

The world is crazy and fast-paced enough without my ruining my one day of rest and recreation. I rather be enjoying my hobbies and my family or friends than having to run to get more booze. I can't afford to just drink for the heck of it. Enjoying a good cold brewski, a smooth bourbon, or a good wine makes my day of rest pleasurable.

"Carpe Diem" {Latin; 'seize the day'] and enjoy life's simple pleasures.
gtV
Monk

Portland, OR

#8 Mar 31, 2009
gtVoyageur wrote:
<quoted text>
Friend[?];
You must be thirsty,'friend'! I wasn't preaching but quoting a former preacher. You have six days to buy spirits, wines, and beer to stock your libation stocks. Why waste gas etc. on Sundays to buy libations? Don't you have one day a week for yourself, family, or friends without running around for beverages?
The world is crazy and fast-paced enough without my ruining my one day of rest and recreation. I rather be enjoying my hobbies and my family or friends than having to run to get more booze. I can't afford to just drink for the heck of it. Enjoying a good cold brewski, a smooth bourbon, or a good wine makes my day of rest pleasurable.
"Carpe Diem" {Latin; 'seize the day'] and enjoy life's simple pleasures.
gtV
Interesting gtV, because that is what a number of liquor store owners are saying. Most work 6 days a week as it is and they are lobbying against Sunday sales.
Wisconsin has much more liberal liquor laws and they have alot more alcohol related problems, including drunk
driving deaths. Would Minnesota be Minnesota without
3.2 beer? Monk
Finn-lander in Crosslake

Perham, MN

#9 Mar 31, 2009
selling alcohol should be allowed. For those alcohol offenders (DUI) they will offend any day of the week. This is coming from someone who vacations in the area as well as travels around the country. Why not support the local economy.
3 Point Land

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Mar 31, 2009
gtVoyageur wrote:
<quoted text>
Friend[?];
You must be thirsty,'friend'! I wasn't preaching but quoting a former preacher. You have six days to buy spirits, wines, and beer to stock your libation stocks. Why waste gas etc. on Sundays to buy libations? Don't you have one day a week for yourself, family, or friends without running around for beverages?
The world is crazy and fast-paced enough without my ruining my one day of rest and recreation. I rather be enjoying my hobbies and my family or friends than having to run to get more booze. I can't afford to just drink for the heck of it. Enjoying a good cold brewski, a smooth bourbon, or a good wine makes my day of rest pleasurable.
"Carpe Diem" {Latin; 'seize the day'] and enjoy life's simple pleasures.
gtV
Carp, you have no friends.

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

#11 Mar 31, 2009
Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting gtV, because that is what a number of liquor store owners are saying. Most work 6 days a week as it is and they are lobbying against Sunday sales.
Wisconsin has much more liberal liquor laws and they have alot more alcohol related problems, including drunk
driving deaths. Would Minnesota be Minnesota without
3.2 beer? Monk
Monk;
Thanks for your comments. A friend of mine is a manager of a liquor store and due to business necessities works, at present, 72-80 hours a week. His boss, the store's owner, has joined with others to lobby against liquor/wine stores being open on Sunday for the reasons you mentioned earlier.

There are far too many problems facing all of us that worrying or fighting for liquor/wine stores being open on Sundays. Besides if you are not working or have been laid off, liquor probably is the last priority to spend money on.

Oh. well, I guess if one needs a beer or drink on Sundays, there are six days to stock up for Sunday.
gtV

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

#12 Mar 31, 2009
3 Point Land wrote:
<quoted text>Carp, you have no friends.
3 Point Land;
You need to read my posting in its entirety. I said the Latin motto and expression, "Carpe Diem!", meaning 'seize the day [or moment]'. Also, Carp, the fish, can be delicious if prepared in certain ways. In some countries, carp are a food staple for many people.

Remember, "Carpe Diem"!. and enjoy life.
gtV

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pequot Lakes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WAPOA Offers Discounted Trees and Shrubs to Pro... Mar 28 Richard scott 1
News Prosecution rests in trial of man accused of sl... (Aug '06) Nov '17 Matt 3
News Worker shortage grows as number of internationa... (Jun '17) Jun '17 spytheweb 2
News Nisswa students pack meals for Kids Against Hun... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Addison Lullo 25 1
News Juno winner Francey to perform at Nisswa (Jul '16) Jul '16 Beware place like... 1
News Juno winner Francey to perform April 15 in Niss... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Beware place like... 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17

Pequot Lakes Jobs

Personal Finance

Pequot Lakes Mortgages