High school introducing random alcohol test

Some teenagers who drink over the weekend could be in big trouble come Monday morning: A New Jersey school district plans to institute random urine tests capable of detecting whether alcohol was consumed up to ... Full Story
Marie

United States

#1 Jan 31, 2007
I agree with a quote from the article that states, "Medical care and treatment are issues between parents and children," but at the same time I am wondering just what if the parents don't know! So I am conflicted with this because I can see both the up and the down sides of this! I think the consequences from having a positive test result are reasonable and actually a very rewarding to the student! Just maybe is a touchy subject with the parents of these students.
Unknown Author

Franklin, IN

#2 Jan 31, 2007
I think that this is America, having the rights to invade a person's privacy. It's crazy. Kids will be kids, and will probably try or drink alcohol. What they do outside of school, is their parents business. Not the school systems.
momoftwoboysanda dog

United States

#3 Jan 31, 2007
As a mother of two 15 year old boys, I am torn by this...I think as a community, we have to do it together (neighbors helping neighbors, families helping families, etc) but I am not sure just how much more government we actually want in our lives...I am quite sure that if a child tested positive once and then yet again, there would be some repercussions (not to mention that some parents would just beat the he@! out of their child if they found out)...Very torn
Marie

United States

#4 Jan 31, 2007
Unknown Author wrote:
I think that this is America, having the rights to invade a person's privacy. It's crazy. Kids will be kids, and will probably try or drink alcohol. What they do outside of school, is their parents business. Not the school systems.
The way our children are beginning to act these days, I think maybe a little help from the school system will do good! I understand your point as well, I am just stating in my opinion there may be a chance this program could save a life or keep a child from steering down the wrong path and turning to alcohol to think they need it to have fun or be cool or to fix a problem!

Since: Jan 07

United States

#5 Jan 31, 2007
Unfortunately parents like Deborah Jacobs do not care if their children do drugs or drink alcohol. The ACLU is a joke!
YuppiesSuck

Louisville, KY

#6 Jan 31, 2007
It's about time they started doing this.

I remember when I was in school and all the hell I used to catch because I was a "longhair"...we were always assumed to be the troublemakers because of our appearance.

The people that are going to get caught up by this are the same jerks that act like they can do whatever they want because mommy and daddy are so-and-so or because they're on the football team or the swimteam.

It's about time that these yuppie chumps are outted for doing worse things than the people that they ostracize in school.

But I will agree that it's not the schools place to do ANY type of alcohol or drug testing in the first place...it's called invasion of privacy.

“Fight Terrorism Buy Domsestic”

Since: Dec 06

Hippiegene

#7 Jan 31, 2007
Remember parents who support this,not only will they be tested for alcohol they will also be tested for illegal drugs.Also do not forget,drug dogs and strip searches have already been approved for students.So now if your little 12 year old daughter hits a doobie and tests positive her body can be violated legally,she is kicked out of school with no hope for a future.ZIEG HIEL COMMIE BASTARDS. Your childs whole life,future education or employment will be ruined by a positive. There is NO -0000000000- Federal Aid or Pell Grants if your child test positive for drugs,it is LAW.

Hippiegene

#8 Jan 31, 2007
SEXTRA CREDIT
School strip searches
mandated by House
With student molestations skyrocketing,
lawmakers demand weapon in drug fight

----------
Posted: September 23, 2006
9:40 p.m. Eastern

By Joseph Farah
2006 WorldNetDaily.com

WASHINGTON Even though student molestations seem to be reaching epidemic proportions in schools across America, the House of Representatives has approved a tough new anti-drug and anti-weapon law that would require local districts to develop search policies including strip searches with immunity against prosecution for teachers and staff.

Schools would have to develop policies for searching students, or face the loss of some federal funding, under the bill HR 5295, approved by a voice vote Tuesday. It moves to the Senate, which does not have similar legislation pending at this time.

The American Civil Liberties Union, the American Federation of Teachers, the Drug Policy Alliance, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, the National Parent Teacher Association, the American Association of School Administrators and the National School Boards Association all opposed the bill saying it could invite unconstitutional searches. The National Education Association supports the legislation, according to the sponsor.

The bill was the brainchild of Rep. Geoff Davis, R-Kentucky, who said the idea was to "put a process in place so that the teachers don't have any fear of liability, but at the same time it protects the rights of the students from an unreasonable search."

The bill says only that search methods cannot be "excessively intrusive."

It drew opposition from the American Federation of Teachers, a smaller teachers union, and the American Civil Liberties Union.

The "Student Teacher Safety Act of 2006" passed on a voice vote, bypassing the committee process and with no way to hold individual members of the House accountable for their votes.

Particularly controversial is the requirement that each local school district have search policies in place, with the process defined like this:

"A search referred to in subsection (a) is a search by a full-time teacher or school official, acting on any reasonable suspicion based on professional experience and judgment, of any minor student on the grounds of any public school, if the search is conducted to ensure that classrooms, school buildings, school property and students remain free from the threat of all weapons, dangerous materials, or illegal narcotics. The measures used to conduct any search must be reasonably related to the search's objectives, without being excessively intrusive in light of the student's age, sex, and the nature of the offense."

“keeping a watchful eye”

Hwy 101

#9 Jan 31, 2007
I really think this is another step backward and clearly constitutional rights will be violated. What ever happened to just letting parents be parents and once in a while checking out the bathrooms for anyone smoking pot. I can recall a time or two I slipped up in school myself and under current laws and regulations I would have been kicked out of my school district and never have any chance at college. Were turning our kids that make a slip or two into hard core criminals with no hope for a future over being a dumb kid. Give the kids a chance for gosh sakes, none of us are perfect and we need a certain degree of tolerence before we flush a kids future down the toilet. This stuff is unbeleivable.
Name

Amityville, NY

#10 Jan 31, 2007
Dear students, when the school tries to demand a urine sample:
JUST SAY NO.
Tecumseh

Milwaukee, WI

#11 Jan 31, 2007
Is this one of those rights we gave in the "Patriot Act".
wow

Elgin, IL

#12 Jan 31, 2007
What students do on the weekend is NONE of the schools business. When I was in high school, I drank and partied with the best of them, but that doesn't mean that my high school had the right to know what I was doing. It's up to the parents to lead by example and teach their kids responsible alcohol consumption. The majority of parents just tell their kids not to drink. Kids drink. So why not explain the affects of alcohol? Why not tell them how to drink responsibly?? I know that I grew up around drinking and I knew exactly what I did not what to do. So I never drink and drive. I don't binge drink. I am responsible with alcohol because I learned in high school what and what not to do. I know my limits. If students don't experiment a little in high school because they can't, what is gonna happen to them when they get to college?? I have a feeling they are going to rebel and drink too much.
Bri

Fargo, ND

#13 Jan 31, 2007
This is getting to be extreme. Do American legislatures and citizens realize in many other countries the legal drinking age is 16, and I do not hear of huge ordeals of kids showing up to school drunk, etc. The more strict and opressing you are, the more things like binge drinking and drinking and driving occurs. Most teens drink and drive because they don't want to get caught being out. The more you tell a kid 'no' the more they're going to want to do it. That's why English teens probably have less of a problem - it's legal earlier and they learn the responsible thing to do. Since there's no fear of being in legal trouble, they are safer with drinking and make wiser decisions.

Hippiegene

#14 Jan 31, 2007
This is very true the states with Medical Marijuana and De-Crim Measures have shown the losest incicidence of Teen Use.
Bri wrote:
This is getting to be extreme. Do American legislatures and citizens realize in many other countries the legal drinking age is 16, and I do not hear of huge ordeals of kids showing up to school drunk, etc. The more strict and opressing you are, the more things like binge drinking and drinking and driving occurs. Most teens drink and drive because they don't want to get caught being out. The more you tell a kid 'no' the more they're going to want to do it. That's why English teens probably have less of a problem - it's legal earlier and they learn the responsible thing to do. Since there's no fear of being in legal trouble, they are safer with drinking and make wiser decisions.
kath

Kingston, PA

#15 Feb 1, 2007
I agree with it. I think if you arent drinking then you have nothing to fear. WOW, now I see why addiction is becomming so rampant. Ppl sure seem to have a relaxed attitude about it.And PARENTS! I'd be ashamed.
Wait til addiction destroys someone in YOUR family...maybe you will see the light.
wow

Elgin, IL

#16 Feb 6, 2007
kathy, you seem to think that underage drinking doesn't happen. You talk about addiction but don't you think that if the drinking ages were lowered then kids wouldn't be afraid to come forward and say that they may have a drinking problem. I had friends in high school that definately had drinking problems, but they couldn't come forward because their parents were strict. Parents just need to open up and realize that things like sex, drugs, and alcohol do happen in high school. Maybe once they do realize that, they will take action. And just so you know, my family has been affected by alcoholism, but through that I have learned what to do and not to do. I was allowed to drink at a young age and I learned before all the peer pressure, what my limits were and that I could always call my parents to pick me up if I was drinking. Trust that students will find ways around the tests. They always do.
junie

Pasadena, CA

#17 Feb 17, 2007
What a freaking waste of money. Couldn't that money do more being used to educate the kids on the REAL dangers of drugs and alcohol? Or perhaps outreach programs that could possibly give a kid the courage to speak to someone about their addiction without putting them in danger of a beating by the father/mother who drove them toward addiction in the first place? This testing is also BAD for the kid from a great home who was just doing what kids do and partying on the weekend. Now his parents are humiliated-they have to get FORCED counseling wether they need it or not. I find it hard to believe that if you test positive for anything you will still be allowed to participate in extracurricular activities. Its rediculous, we learn math, grammer, and sports by participating but we learn government by reading about it because our government has decided that the USA is a democratic nation UNLESS youre a kid then its a dictatorship-none of this crap teaches kids to make good decisions.
cathy

Toronto, Canada

#18 Feb 18, 2007
Tecumseh wrote:
Is this one of those rights we gave in the "Patriot Act".
Yeah. the border is wide open, but we the citizens are told to bend over and spread em.

Hippiegene

#19 Feb 18, 2007
"We The People" now have to have a passport to fly into Mexico or Canada,now this is the hilarious part.While wwe are being Carded thousands of illegals are entering daily while we have to have a hall pass to leave. Wake Up America we are being fenced in!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pequannock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Riverdale police charge woman with DWI after al... Feb 17 Carol 1
Amanda Forysth Feb 14 pinkysthumb 15
Pompton Plains Resident Jan '15 G Hawthorne 1
Local Pompton Plains Photographer (Sep '10) Jan '15 gail hawthorne 5
New York Heroes Youth Football Camps Jan '15 Pro Sports Experi... 1
High school to test for students' weekend drink... (Feb '07) Dec '14 PHIL 4
Any horny teens wanna talk? (Jan '13) Nov '14 jose 9

Pequannock News Video

Pequannock Dating
Find my Match