Matthew Nesbit: Turn paper mill into ...

Matthew Nesbit: Turn paper mill into group of shops, restaurants

There are 10 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Apr 12, 2010, titled Matthew Nesbit: Turn paper mill into group of shops, restaurants. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Matthew Nesbit envisions the former Pepperell Paper Mill to be developed into a cozy cluster of shops and restaurants with open space.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Grotonite

Salem, NH

#1 Apr 12, 2010
This is the same ridiculous pipe dream that some people in Groton have about developing Station Ave.
nutshell

Pepperell, MA

#2 Apr 14, 2010
"Nesbit, a Pepperell resident of six years, said his experience serving on the Mill Site Study Committee -- an appointed board that has recommended redevelopment guidelines to selectmen -- has allowed him to get a good grip on what is going on in the community"

Wow! The Joe Sergi team sure has an eye for talent. Serving on Joe's mill Site Study Committee has allowed him to get a good grip on what is going on in the community?
Matt

Pepperell, MA

#3 Apr 14, 2010
Nutshell - I volunteered for the Mill Site Committee because I care about our town and because whenever I drive by the site I picture how great it would be to clean up the site and make it an attraction that draws people back to the downtown area. After two years of monthly meetings and volunteering many hours of additional time to research environmental clean-up grants, riverfront protection and historic preservation programs that would benefit the town, I do feel like I have a pretty good idea of the challenges and opportunities related to the Mill Site. Living in town for six years, meeting parents through school and sports events, shopping locally and meeting business owners, and attending town meetings and planning board meetings are other things that make me feel I have a pretty good idea of what is going on in the Community.
built and they will come

Tyngsboro, MA

#4 May 3, 2010
Matt wrote:
Nutshell - I volunteered for the Mill Site Committee because I care about our town and because whenever I drive by the site I picture how great it would be to clean up the site and make it an attraction that draws people back to the downtown area. After two years of monthly meetings and volunteering many hours of additional time to research environmental clean-up grants, riverfront protection and historic preservation programs that would benefit the town, I do feel like I have a pretty good idea of the challenges and opportunities related to the Mill Site. Living in town for six years, meeting parents through school and sports events, shopping locally and meeting business owners, and attending town meetings and planning board meetings are other things that make me feel I have a pretty good idea of what is going on in the Community.
Good for you! I used to live in Pepperell and still go through town on a regular basis. I would love to see that mill area become accessible. Shops, a cafe and a few other businesses with public viewing access to the river would be worth traveling to. An easy walk from the bike trail, it would bring more people to the area and be good for businesses year round. I hope something happens soon.
Tim

Brookline, NH

#5 Jul 11, 2011
Hello, well im browsing around late night and found this. i wanted to update everyone that the mill was officially torn down a few days ago. and personally this after being destroyed is putting pepperell's history pretty much extinct..

-Resident 20 years
pepperell

Ilion, NY

#6 Jul 11, 2011
Tim wrote:
Hello, well im browsing around late night and found this. i wanted to update everyone that the mill was officially torn down a few days ago. and personally this after being destroyed is putting pepperell's history pretty much extinct..
-Resident 20 years
That crappy rat infested group of eyesores in the heart of pepperell is what you're calling "history"? Can we be more pathetic? What is it with you townies? Tear it down and force the jack asses who own property along main street to clean up their eyesores...or better yet, tear those down as well!!! Pathetic
CuriousGal

Hollis, NH

#7 Jul 16, 2011
With the old paper mill gone, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to create a beautiful riverside park in Pepperell. Pepperell lacks a decent-size park along the river that can be recreational, with picnic tables, grills, etc.
The idea of turning it into shops, while that sounds good, there are already strip malls with vacancies that have not been able to be filled. Cafes don't last long here, so another strip mall of shop vacancies and out-of-business cafes would be a sad end to the paper mill property.
A riverside park and garden, near the bikepath, would boost local businesses and cafes and maybe keep them in business. Historc plaques celebrating the history of Pepperell could be included. Family picnic grounds, riverside fishing, and trails with gardens and historic signs would edify the community and be an attractive stop for bike riders.
Here's our chance! Get behind this please!
millrat

Brookline, NH

#8 Jul 17, 2011
CuriousGal wrote:
With the old paper mill gone, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to create a beautiful riverside park in Pepperell. Pepperell lacks a decent-size park along the river that can be recreational, with picnic tables, grills, etc.
The idea of turning it into shops, while that sounds good, there are already strip malls with vacancies that have not been able to be filled. Cafes don't last long here, so another strip mall of shop vacancies and out-of-business cafes would be a sad end to the paper mill property.
A riverside park and garden, near the bikepath, would boost local businesses and cafes and maybe keep them in business. Historc plaques celebrating the history of Pepperell could be included. Family picnic grounds, riverside fishing, and trails with gardens and historic signs would edify the community and be an attractive stop for bike riders.
Here's our chance! Get behind this please!
sounds like you should sign up for the mill study group.
Picking

Pepperell, MA

#9 Jul 20, 2011
Comon Matthew you are intelligent well meaning but surpisingly naive and un-realistic re the mill space.Open space ok shops a dream.No one will shop locally rather than Nashua without tax NH changes or $5-6 per gallon of gas.Tnanks for service to town though.4269
pepperell

Charlestown, MA

#10 Jul 23, 2011
CuriousGal wrote:
With the old paper mill gone, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to create a beautiful riverside park in Pepperell. Pepperell lacks a decent-size park along the river that can be recreational, with picnic tables, grills, etc.
The idea of turning it into shops, while that sounds good, there are already strip malls with vacancies that have not been able to be filled. Cafes don't last long here, so another strip mall of shop vacancies and out-of-business cafes would be a sad end to the paper mill property.
A riverside park and garden, near the bikepath, would boost local businesses and cafes and maybe keep them in business. Historc plaques celebrating the history of Pepperell could be included. Family picnic grounds, riverside fishing, and trails with gardens and historic signs would edify the community and be an attractive stop for bike riders.
Here's our chance! Get behind this please!
What a joke! These chumps couldn't support a new ambulance and police vehicle. To pull this off, you would have to purchase the land, pay to reconfigure the site into a park and then continuously maintain it. We're talking $2-4 million. We couldn't get voters to approve a $10 yearly tax increase for public safety equipment!!! You're living in a dream world if you think these backwards looking in-breds, who take so much pride in their frugality, would support this. How do you spell pathetic? P-E-P-P-E-R-E-L-L

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pepperell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prostitution sweep nets at least nine arrests i... (Aug '09) Aug 24 fred 269
News He 'never told me how this happened' (May '08) Aug 9 THE BOY IN BLUE 37
News William Aubuchon Jr., businessman, veteran, phi... (Nov '07) Jul '16 Revolt 7
News Override fails in Groton; Dunstable passes Jul '16 Taxpayer 1
News Is The Driving Age In MA Too Young? (Apr '06) May '16 EverettCitizen 327
News 2 attempt to steal car in front of housing court (Jan '08) Apr '16 Jeffrey Irvine 1012 4
News Police Briefs (Jan '08) Apr '16 Jeffrey Irvine 612 8

Pepperell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pepperell Mortgages