Lisa Conn Murder
Debi Congram

Arlington Heights, IL

#1 Feb 5, 2013
Hello forum members - I saw the 1980 Lisa Conn murder case mentioned in this forum and wondered what happened following the trial and conviction of Alan Taylor. Browsing the web I saw his conviction was overturned but I can't find anything after that. Can someone help? I was a reporter back then and covered the case and it was an awful story. I'd like to believe there was justice at the end.
Maria

Peoria, IL

#2 Feb 6, 2013
One kid was in jail until he was 21. I think that was the Taylor Kid. One of the other punks name was Gaskins and I heard nothing ever happened to him. That is all I know.
Maria

Peoria, IL

#4 Feb 8, 2013
What happened in his re-trial?
GI Jane

East Greenville, PA

#5 Jul 9, 2013
Taylor was granted a new trial due to "pre-trial publicity" found not guilty & walked. After the retrial it was reported he legally changed his name & moved to MO.
Gaskins was never tried- not enough evidence to get a conviction.
patty stewart

Fort Worth, TX

#6 Aug 21, 2013
Lisa was like a big sister to me , she was a very petite beautiful young lady , I remember the night she was found killed and her viewing....we had plans for her and Tonys wedding, she didn't deserve to die this way she should have lived to be a very old lady...she is still very much loved in my heart!!!
minta

United States

#7 Jan 12, 2014
I remember her...so beautiful... She watched me a couple of times. I've thought about throughout the years....and then met Tony. Small world. And yes, she was definitely an amazing person.. her spirit will always be with us <3
Robert Hodge

United States

#8 Jul 7, 2014
Never met Lisa, but I remember hearing about this incident. I remember part of the reason the Taylor punk was found not guilty at his retrial was because he claimed he didn't intend to kill Lisa, supposedly she "moved" (presumably struggled) and "accidentally" cut her throat on the knife. i guess the fact that she couldn't have cut herself if this creep hadn't been DELIBERATELY holding a knife to her throat meant nothing to the jury at the retrial. Hopefully he'll get his one of these days.
Jay

Salt Lake City, UT

#9 Jul 12, 2014
I went to school with her. I lived about 5 houses from Central and she parked her car in front of my house most days. I remember the night it happened. It was weird, because I was at a friend's about two doors over from my house and all these sirens were going down North Street. When I found out, I was freakin' really upset. I wasn't close to her, but just saw her at the same friend's house a few days before. He was wise to move away. He wouldn't have lasted very long if he stayed in the area. What a waste of a beautiful person.
Wondering

Apex, NC

#10 Aug 18, 2014
Was this the young lady that was killed at the dry cleaners? I'm not sure. I was a little girl when this happened but I remember people talking about it.
Jay

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Aug 18, 2014
Yes, she worked at the Zip E Tone dry cleaners. I think that was the name. There wasn't very much money in the register from what I heard. It really didn't matter, the kid shouldn't have got off with it. There were a lot of pissed off people. I know Peoria has always had a little bit of a rough edge to it, but that one was really a shock to everyone. It really sucked.
Wondering

Apex, NC

#12 Aug 19, 2014
Jay wrote:
Yes, she worked at the Zip E Tone dry cleaners. I think that was the name. There wasn't very much money in the register from what I heard. It really didn't matter, the kid shouldn't have got off with it. There were a lot of pissed off people. I know Peoria has always had a little bit of a rough edge to it, but that one was really a shock to everyone. It really sucked.
Thank you Jay. That was such a tragedy! I can't believe those now men are free to walk the streets! That poor girl and all who love and care for her!
Debi Congram

Arlington Heights, IL

#13 Sep 12, 2014
patty stewart wrote:
Lisa was like a big sister to me , she was a very petite beautiful young lady , I remember the night she was found killed and her viewing....we had plans for her and Tonys wedding, she didn't deserve to die this way she should have lived to be a very old lady...she is still very much loved in my heart!!!
I'm sorry for your loss long ago. Thank you everyone for this information. I'm grieved to hear that the younger kid got away with it. I remember, Jon Gaskins was arrested because Alan Taylor implicated him - said they did it together and of course that makes sense - but then Taylor changed his story and denied his confession, and without that confession, the police had to let Gaskins go.
Debi Congram

Arlington Heights, IL

#14 Sep 13, 2014
Question: Anyone able to tell me where the Alan Taylor retrial was held - probably in 1985 or 1986 -? You'll recall they had to move his second trial out of Peoria County - but where? And how was it he was found not guilty, considering his detailed confession?
GI Jane

Peoria, IL

#15 Sep 23, 2014
Debi Congram wrote:
Question: Anyone able to tell me where the Alan Taylor retrial was held - probably in 1985 or 1986 -? You'll recall they had to move his second trial out of Peoria County - but where? And how was it he was found not guilty, considering his detailed confession?
The retrial was held in Mt Vernon, IL. It lasted a couple of weeks. The States Attorney dropped the ball BIG TIME!! The night before the two lead/ main detectives were to testify, he didn't meet with them to review any testimony or anticipate any defense questions. He chose to get drunk since the first trial was a slam dunk, he didn't put enough effort to ensure a conviction. My father was one of the lead detectives & when he first saw Lisa he thought it was his daughter- my older sister. At first all they had was a body. He read & re-read her diaries looking for anything, anyone that might break the case open. It was 2 weeks later from officers stopping cars on the street asking if they remember seeing anyone around the area. He still chokes up & can hardly talk about Lisa & always tears up and ends it with "I'll taker her to my grave. I don't want to talk about it anymore."
Max

Peoria, IL

#16 Nov 7, 2014
GI Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
The retrial was held in Mt Vernon, IL. It lasted a couple of weeks. The States Attorney dropped the ball BIG TIME!! The night before the two lead/ main detectives were to testify, he didn't meet with them to review any testimony or anticipate any defense questions. He chose to get drunk since the first trial was a slam dunk, he didn't put enough effort to ensure a conviction. My father was one of the lead detectives & when he first saw Lisa he thought it was his daughter- my older sister. At first all they had was a body. He read & re-read her diaries looking for anything, anyone that might break the case open. It was 2 weeks later from officers stopping cars on the street asking if they remember seeing anyone around the area. He still chokes up & can hardly talk about Lisa & always tears up and ends it with "I'll taker her to my grave. I don't want to talk about it anymore."
Who was the States Attorney who did that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Local Gatehouse Media May 30 John Q Public 1
Most haunted house in Pekin. (Jan '10) May 28 Former Chink 52
This is how to get your phone back if you ever ... May 26 tomcat1974 1
News 60 years later, gang leader's slaying still uns... (Jan '08) May 26 curiousfamilymember 1,200
Buh Buh Bald Bag Barra May 26 disgusted 2
frozen whose kids recite this song word for word May 18 pulling hair out 1
News Town officials seeing savings with low gas pric... May 15 mafia man 17
More from around the web

Peoria People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]