Cameras catch more speeders; public opposition intensifies

Dec 8, 2008 | Posted by: Sally in AZ | Full story: www.azcentral.com

It seems like you can't drive anywhere these days without being under the watchful lens of a speed or red-light enforcement camera.

Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated May 2, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Stupid is as Stupid is caught”

Since: Jul 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2008

"It seems like you can't drive anywhere these days without being under the watchful lens of a speed or red-light enforcement camera."

Correction: It seems like you can't drive anywhere these days without sitting at a GREEN light waiting for the two, three or four cars who run the left-turn red light long after it's already changed.

It also seems like Peoria police couldn't care less about it, because I've seen left-turners cut off police cruisers and the cop did NOTHING.

The left-turner must have been going in the opposite direction of the Starbucks or donut shop.
LawnOrder

Glendale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2008

Judged:

Here's a simple solution - don't break the law and you won't even notice the cameras are there!
Red Light fairness

Fountain Hills, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Red light camera's are non judgmental, The intersection at 91st ave and Bell Rd. is confusing at best, even for those that live in the area. I believe that most red light citation by camera would not be given by a policeman observing the same episode. Entering an intersection while the light is yellow is not the same as running a red light, yet tickets are given when there is a judgment by a driver to slam on brakes or go through on a yellow light. I am in favor of camera's on our expressways but believe that the red light camera are in place to enhance revenue rather than catch those that are clearly running a red light.
cHa

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

Judged:

LawnOrder wrote:
Here's a simple solution - don't break the law and you won't even notice the cameras are there!
heres a thought,, why dont u just move to cuba or russia,
these cameras are an infringment of our civil rights.. cashcows, the fleeceing of america,, keep givin them ur suport so we can loose more rights , make a cop do ther job and pull me over for speeding... i could live with the red light camera but not the speedcameras.. its just wrong... they shoulda had a vote for suport from the people they serve , i bet u wouldnt like the outcome... to hell with them cameras
The 4th Reich kommt

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

Judged:

LawnOrder wrote:
Here's a more simple solution - never leave your house, then you won't notice anything.
The 4th Reich kommt

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

cHa wrote:
<quoted text>
these cameras are an infringment of our civil rights.. cashcows, the fleeceing of america,, keep givin them ur suport so we can loose more rights , make a cop do ther job and pull me over for speeding... i could live with the red light camera but not the speedcameras.. its just wrong... they shoulda had a vote for suport from the people they serve , i bet u wouldnt like the outcome... to hell with them cameras
RESPECT.......
The 4th Reich kommt

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

Judged:

Red Light fairness wrote:
Red light camera's are non judgmental, The intersection at 91st ave and Bell Rd. is confusing at best, even for those that live in the area. I believe that most red light citation by camera would not be given by a policeman observing the same episode. Entering an intersection while the light is yellow is not the same as running a red light, yet tickets are given when there is a judgment by a driver to slam on brakes or go through on a yellow light. I am in favor of camera's on our expressways but believe that the red light camera are in place to enhance revenue rather than catch those that are clearly running a red light.
Red light cameras are VERY judgemental, because they are set-up and calibrated by people who are using them to make money! Did your parents have any children that lived? I'll bet they regret that. You probably watch 3-tv for all your news and information as well, don't ya? Stupid is as stupid does........
jrp

Beijing, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

You have no idea what you are saying or you would revise your statement.Russia
or another country,maybe.However,do not
include China,which is actually much mor
e tollerable,and do not harrass the moto
rist,or pedistrians.They have cameras and the same set up here.They need the
money here too,but the country and
cities are not out to take drivers off
the roads.Here if you get caught,you
just dont drive any more.You only have
one time,to correct your mistake on more
minor offenses. The U.S.,is becoming so
greedy,that citizens have less freedoms.
jrp

Beijing, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

cHa wrote:
<quoted text>
get a life
jrp

Beijing, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

LawnOrder wrote:
I am surprised you do not believe you break the laws. How do you do it? You must be exempt. How do you do this?
ChineseIdiotcom

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

jrp wrote:
You have no idea what you are saying or you would revise your statement.Russia
or another country,maybe.However,do not
include China,which is actually much mor
e tollerable,and do not harrass the moto
rist,or pedistrians.They have cameras and the same set up here.They need the
money here too,but the country and
cities are not out to take drivers off
the roads.Here if you get caught,you
just dont drive any more.You only have
one time,to correct your mistake on more
minor offenses. The U.S.,is becoming so
greedy,that citizens have less freedoms.
Ah, yes, China, that wonderful country that forced people out of their homes and property without compensation to build the largest dam in the world, the dam that is already causing environmental damaged to the surrounding areas, not including the damage both up and down river...the country that randomly and regularly dumps poisonious chemicals in the water, air and land so as to save money....money for the corrupt Chinese government officials who deprive their own people of proper food, medical care, and buildings that can withstand earthquakes......ya, the US is a terrible country to live in....I'm packing my bags tonight and headin for that land of promise known as China.......Pause.........
NOT
cHa

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

ChineseIdiotcom wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, yes, China, that wonderful country that forced people out of their homes and property without compensation to build the largest dam in the world, the dam that is already causing environmental damaged to the surrounding areas, not including the damage both up and down river...the country that randomly and regularly dumps poisonious chemicals in the water, air and land so as to save money....money for the corrupt Chinese government officials who deprive their own people of proper food, medical care, and buildings that can withstand earthquakes......ya, the US is a terrible country to live in....I'm packing my bags tonight and headin for that land of promise known as China.......Pause.........
NOT
xactly...point!!!
Girl with hairy arms

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

This government has one goal and that is to make our lives a living hell and drain us of every penny that we have. This country is a dump and I am taking my family to Canada in a month. I never want to see the u s again
Sara G

Chandler, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

The problem with a speed camera is that it is not a PERSON. I thought they were a good idea as well until my car stalled as I was turning left on a yellow light. The car behind me had pulled up to the line. Since my car did not restart until the light turned red, I now had no other choice but to run a red light. I have driven forever & have never run a red light & have a clean driving record. I have now been to court twice and written a letter to the judge and have paid (thus far)$450.$300 was for the red light infringement (you have no choice but to pay it) & the rest was to fight it. Good old fashioned cops on the beat & giving people real JOBS...that is what we need. I could have explained this to a real person & probably got off with a warning.
Mothra

Beaverton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

Do you remember when Phoenix Mayor, Phil Gordon got a ticket from a photo camera at 7th St & Northern while driving home one evening?

Well, that camera is gone now.

Anyone know of any other permanent photo radar cameras that were removed?

Coincidence?
S D M F

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

I am in full support of traffic cameras whether it be red light or speeding.

The drivers in this state are the most aggressive I have ever experienced. I do not know why everyone is in such a damn rush to get one car in front of you and race you to the next light.

I would support cameras every mile on our valley highways and if it would deter red light runners I would favor them at every intersection.

If you don't speed and red lights then you have nothing to worry about. This argument is getting so old, let the voters decide and shut up forever.
Elliot Ness

Cave Creek, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

I have to agree, the drivers here are horrible and always in such a big hurry. I can't count the times I have been doing the speed limit (or more) only to have some idiot come up behind me and pass even if it is not safe to do so. And I have been run off the road by idiots passing in the opposite direction. What is wrong with these idiots? Is a head-on accident worth a few seconds farther down the road? I say a few seconds because I usually am right behind these morons at the next traffic light. I say to heck with the cameras, let the police pull them over and give them a good ole Rodney King beating!
wildboaraza

Prescott, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

The hell with the I-17 speedtraps and local police ticketing RESIDENTS in Cordes Lakes, get real, get tough and REMOVE illegal drugs from Cordes Lakes. Make your MARK.
Joe sux

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

The police are douche bags in Phoenix. Little sissies that got beat up when they were younger. They should have stayed in H.S. and got a job the requires an education.
S D M F

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

Judged:

Joe sux wrote:
The police are douche bags in Phoenix. Little sissies that got beat up when they were younger. They should have stayed in H.S. and got a job the requires an education.
Do I sense a bit hositility?

I happen to applaud Sheriff Joe, keep rounding up those illegal aliens!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Peoria Discussions

Search the Peoria Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Nostradamus (Jan '14) 5 hr guest 54
Double Header of Decadence in Phoenix as Things... Tue Culture Auditor 1
prostitutes on 27th ave (Jan '10) Tue exGMan 44
JOBS: 10 Valley companies hiring now Tue exGMan 2
Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) Tue MorninBone 590
Talk Of Sun CIty (Oct '12) Mon seriously 7
Review: Coco's Roadside Service Inc Mon seriously 5
•••

Excessive Heat Warning for Maricopa County was issued at July 23 at 5:52PM MST