Jodi Arias claims self-defense as mur...

Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins

There are 7233 comments on the KTVK Phoenix story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins. In it, KTVK Phoenix reports that:

A defense attorney says an Arizona woman charged with stabbing and shooting her boyfriend to death in 2008 acted in self-defense because he was violent and abusive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVK Phoenix.

LA Guy

United States

#2854 Apr 10, 2013
Runs in the Family wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you in your 70's LAG?
Sorry, much younger.

Hey, I liked that list of Movies you are familiar with, particulalry Wild Orchid. So you are contemplating a new
Handle, perhaps I will suggest one, something matching where
you fit into the Scene (Lifestyle)

You have an accurate (and humorus) take on the socio/economic dynamic of the cast of characters.

If you were bettihg your Social Security check, would you take two to one odds on a hung jury.

When was the last time you were in Cal?
LA Guy

United States

#2855 Apr 10, 2013
Runs in the Family wrote:
<quoted text>
Travis probably got taken by the mortgage industry that was offering interest only loans and got into a house he couldn't really afford. When the housing bubble burst, he could have been underwater on his house if he only paid interest and the value plummeted. He paid around 250,000 and was in debt for more than that which means he probably also took out an equity line of credit to travel and buy a high end car, the BMW.
He mentioned the possibility of losing his house in communication with JAA and that she didn't care.
According to JA (lol), he was short on pocket change and she loaned him money. No doubt he overbought, got caught up in bubble and took equity. The PPL crowd no doubt also had Mortgage hustlers and they all thought they were so damn astute.

Is your reverse Mortgage working for you? Hey, I'm still a lot younger than those old movie stars huslting them on late night TV...lol
LA Guy

United States

#2856 Apr 10, 2013
Lexington wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the taped calls and text show Mental abuse, but shows no sign of physical abuse. Every couple argues, and most of the time one or the other could claim mental abuse. I think they both had their own issues but I dont think that Jodi has enough credibility to pull off the physical abuse, and I certainly don't believe the Pediphilia claim. I think they picked 2 things that most people hate, wife abusers and child molesters.
They were into B&D, so he must have roughed her up.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2857 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
According to JA (lol), he was short on pocket change and she loaned him money. No doubt he overbought, got caught up in bubble and took equity. The PPL crowd no doubt also had Mortgage hustlers and they all thought they were so damn astute.
Is your reverse Mortgage working for you? Hey, I'm still a lot younger than those old movie stars huslting them on late night TV...lol
She did not have any money to loan him. That is part of her fabricated story.

Gee, I was just teasing about your age based on a sampling of the posts I read from back before I was posting here. First I thought 48, but now I'm leaning toward you being mid 50's. You made some references to things that made people think you ware older. Guess I need to do more research.

I'm watching FBI: Criminal Intent which is much better than the trial footage.
Another Poster

West Chicago, IL

#2858 Apr 10, 2013
Martinez spent most of the afternoon asking LaVolette "hypothetical questions', even though this is a technique that is use by lawyers to examine witnesses in both, direct and cross examination, it should be limited.

He was using hypothetical question not only to try to undermine Alyce's credibility but also to make her agree with his theories. The prosecutor claims that Jodi exhibited a pattern of excessive jealousy, but his only examples were Jodi calling Bobby Juarez after he hung up on her, and her conversation with Bianca, a girl that Matt McCartney was seeing. This type of behavior is not abnormal or unusual, it doesn't amount to obsessive behavior as Martinez wants the jury to believe.

Martinez was trying to bolster his claim that Jodi killed Travis in a jealous rage because he was going to Cancun with another woman, but he failed in his attempt to use LaViolette as his own witness by making her agree with his hypotheses.

I noticed that Martinez barely touched on the questions of domestic violence, which is the core of Alyce's testimony, instead he went off on a tangent about jealousy and stalking patterns without any proof or evidence to support it.

Wilmott needs to ignore Martinez hypotheses rant and go straight to the subject matter of domestic violence in redirect. She needs to revisit the electronic communications between Jodi and Travis that served as evidence to support LaViolette's conclusions, she shouldn't waste time defending Alyce from Martinez's attacks because he is using it as a distraction from the issues that are central to her testimony.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2859 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, much younger.
Hey, I liked that list of Movies you are familiar with, particulalry Wild Orchid. So you are contemplating a new
Handle, perhaps I will suggest one, something matching where
you fit into the Scene (Lifestyle)
You have an accurate (and humorus) take on the socio/economic dynamic of the cast of characters.
If you were bettihg your Social Security check, would you take two to one odds on a hung jury.
When was the last time you were in Cal?
Lifestyle is a brand of condom.
I am not RUBBER.

Do you know who Laveena is?

Anyway, I had a former interest offer to lick me head to toe, put flower petals everywhere and light a million candles. That's what I call a "mind f * ck"...lol Did I fall for it? Vote now.
LA Guy

United States

#2860 Apr 10, 2013
Hi again GD:)

Getting into the shower. LA will be in the 80's, so will wear a light cotton Ralph Lauren long sleeve, white/starched, slacks...keep tie and sport coat in reach in case I need them. I usually do not wear short sleeve shirts even when casual...would rather fold the cuffs up.
LA Guy

United States

#2861 Apr 10, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
Martinez spent most of the afternoon asking LaVolette "hypothetical questions', even though this is a technique that is use by lawyers to examine witnesses in both, direct and cross examination, it should be limited.
He was using hypothetical question not only to try to undermine Alyce's credibility but also to make her agree with his theories. The prosecutor claims that Jodi exhibited a pattern of excessive jealousy, but his only examples were Jodi calling Bobby Juarez after he hung up on her, and her conversation with Bianca, a girl that Matt McCartney was seeing. This type of behavior is not abnormal or unusual, it doesn't amount to obsessive behavior as Martinez wants the jury to believe.
Martinez was trying to bolster his claim that Jodi killed Travis in a jealous rage because he was going to Cancun with another woman, but he failed in his attempt to use LaViolette as his own witness by making her agree with his hypotheses.
I noticed that Martinez barely touched on the questions of domestic violence, which is the core of Alyce's testimony, instead he went off on a tangent about jealousy and stalking patterns without any proof or evidence to support it.
Wilmott needs to ignore Martinez hypotheses rant and go straight to the subject matter of domestic violence in redirect. She needs to revisit the electronic communications between Jodi and Travis that served as evidence to support LaViolette's conclusions, she shouldn't waste time defending Alyce from Martinez's attacks because he is using it as a distraction from the issues that are central to her testimony.
Agree with most. Wilmont let him run for the most part with even compound hypotheticals...either resigned to no relief from this judge or playing into defense hand. I have all along illustrated the power of the tapes or electronic communications as you refer to them:)
Lexington

Kansas City, KS

#2862 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
They were into B&D, so he must have roughed her up.

I hate to say it but I don't think a slap on the ass is ruffing her up, or abuse. If THEY were playing a sex game, to me, it doesn't count as abuse. She was a willing participant. I'll give on the verbal abuse, There is no proof or sign physical abuse, other than the word of Jodi.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2863 Apr 10, 2013
I think she was a codependent man pleaser (in her relationship with Travis) and then realized she had been totally used and was going to be tossed to the side. He was 30 and I would speculate that he was trying to put his libido/demons to rest and to try to find someone who would be a good wife and mother. I'm no expert on the Mormon community, but I don't think she would have ever been accepted by his extended family, friends or business associates.

In the "sex tape" she said she was pretty much game for anything he could come up with.

I'm wondering now if the "sex tape" was not something she taped in segments and then pieced together or if it really was one continuous phone call from
mid May.

I don't know what the defendant was taught by her parents about marital/long-term relationships. There is something "off" about the whole clan.
LA Guy

United States

#2864 Apr 10, 2013
Another Poster

As to Bobby Juarez and Bianca...illustrates pedestrian behavoir on behalf of JA, nothing novel to it
LA Guy

United States

#2865 Apr 10, 2013
Lexington wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to say it but I don't think a slap on the ass is ruffing her up, or abuse. If THEY were playing a sex game, to me, it doesn't count as abuse. She was a willing participant. I'll give on the verbal abuse, There is no proof or sign physical abuse, other than the word of Jodi.
The B&D games (Slap on Ass) plays into Reasonable Doubt in simple terms .. JA was the recipient, some jurors may see it in favor of JA
LA Guy

United States

#2866 Apr 10, 2013
Ok, GD, leaving pad
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2867 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair scenario, the best one to date, that is if you go with the knife first stike. The weak part of your post, is that she could have forced TA into a sitting position by holding a knife on him. Men would fight a women back immdediagtely, even if they suffered some wounds. JA would have been a dead duck if she brandished a knife while he was standing in the shower ... or even if some how he was siting down, which is highly unlikelhy, he was a strong young agile man and would have ovepowered her in mere seconds.
A long shot sceneario is that they were playing B&D games with a kinfe and a gun. She may have even started dominatinating him, known as a Switch scenario in the scene. In that case she could have stabbed him in the heart. I, BS, you not, these sick games go on in the BDSM scene, althoug people go home alive. Of course there have been documented instancs where things have gone astray in these kinky deviant games. What if they were play acting out a blood atonement ritual, where she was running a blade over his throat and upper torso and then suddenly stabbed him. Most have seen documentaries of sadistic rituals in the Phil Islands where men are beating themselves to s pulp with chains in atonement rituals.
JA has Mexicana/Azteca blood lines. Was she an Azteza high priestess eons ago, seeking revenge of her Euro prince in the dark recesses of her mind.
Well, if Martinez is reading any of this, he might want to call a anthropologist brujo in his rebuttal case. This would be indicaive of him leaving no grain of sand overturned.
I'll take Apocalypto for 200

and 9 1/2 Weeks for 400 (they never switched dom/sub roles as far as I know. She only last 9 1/2 weeks. Someday I will take the time to read the journals of 9 1.2 Weeks. With the things you see on HBO/Showtime and other premium channels, 9 1/2 Weeks is tame.
Lexington

Mansfield, TX

#2868 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
The B&D games (Slap on Ass) plays into Reasonable Doubt in simple terms .. JA was the recipient, some jurors may see it in favor of JA
Really, she was playing the game, I certainly would not if I were on the jury. What to consenting adults do in bed is up to them and you can't call it anything else. "That's so debaseing, I like it". I haven't heard anything that says that they were into heavy B&D. I don't see that as Reasonable Doubt.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2869 Apr 10, 2013
Lexington wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, she was playing the game, I certainly would not if I were on the jury. What to consenting adults do in bed is up to them and you can't call it anything else. "That's so debaseing, I like it". I haven't heard anything that says that they were into heavy B&D. I don't see that as Reasonable Doubt.
Alyce would fall over with a heart attack if she heard the things I have whispered, but that doesn't mean I am actually going to do any of them. She apparently doesn't understand entertaining fantasies or even living them out if both parties consent and are adult.

Oh my gosh, Expanding Violette (I won't call her shrinking) is now bringing the opinion of the men in her little groups and expressing what these men would think. Who the **** cares? I need the breaks to get my breathing in check. Just kidding. She is an arrogant old witch with an apple, but Martinez won't take a bite. She must be furious on the inside. She may be able to peddle her b.s. in Long Beach. It doesn't play in Arizona.

I'm really disappointed she didn't bring her guitar and she didn't sing "Someday my Prince Will Come."

The bottom line is that women/men who want to have their families remain intact DO have to SACRIFICE and even sometimes SUFFER. In her world, the second someone drops an F-bomb or slams a door or hangs up on you, pack your bags and go. That's not realistic.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2870 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodmorn GD:)
The Irish did improve everything, no doubt about that. Back in the day, most of the Parish Priests and Monsignors were Irish. Went to a HS run by the Irish Chiristian Brothers. Often wonder the time frame when my Dad's clan first came to our shores. Have not done the research, although some cousins delved into it. Was your Mom also of Irish heritage.
Know what you mean about communicating in our language. One of my buddies was making fun of me, speaking pigeon with some Asian babes...lol
Will be a busy day for me, not able to catch any coverage. Back at my place in the early evening. Talk then:)
Looks like LV was still on the stand, close of court. Who will be the next defense wit? Doubt if they will rest their case after LV.
OM, I typed answers for you, and then topix didn't post them ???
I need to copy them before I hit enter, in the future.
** LG, a Christian Brothers HS: Interesting, I went to a Catholic all girls high school. I think we're very close in age, if not the same age. I probably would've liked you a lot in high school, probably a good crush... maybe more, or not, I was very careful in high school, a good girl... yes, I confess, I rolled my skirt, sometimes :)
** I'm sure you have some fascinating ancestral info. How nice, that your cousin has some already. My Mom has Dutch and Irish; her grandfather had a Dutch Reform Church. We have relatives on the East Coast, as well. I've been to Ellis Island; it was so amazing to know that our ancestors were there.
** Your buddies: I'm gathering they aren't with the asian
invasion crowd. I don't understand how their voices aren't like nails on a chalk board for men. And, pigeon, ok that's really hard to hear.
** I'm going to miss you today, although I'll be in and out today, anyway. I love how you write and explain things, and you're funny.:)
** I can picture you, ready for a long day, nice LG. I hope you have a good day :) Look forward to later, yes.
** LV has a lot on the line w/this trial. It could be a turning point in her career. She seems unprepared when she's under cross, and that could be a negative for future work.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2871 Apr 10, 2013
Alyce is 65 and looks to be very morbidly obese. She really shouldn't put herself under that kind of stress. She has to have breaks all the time. Is she diabetic or does she just have an overactive bladder/incontinence? I guess she could also be on Alli which will make you have oily leakage from your rectum if you eat fatty foods. She wears dark pants always. I hope she makes it to the end of the trial.

She took her bag with her on the break. What's in her bag? Vote now!!!
I guess Nurm-Nurm's job is to guard her bag.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2872 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
Hi again GD:)
Getting into the shower. LA will be in the 80's, so will wear a light cotton Ralph Lauren long sleeve, white/starched, slacks...keep tie and sport coat in reach in case I need them. I usually do not wear short sleeve shirts even when casual...would rather fold the cuffs up.
Nice LG :) I probably would've dropped my things if I saw you coming down the hall, or at least smiled :) Good on you, LG.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2873 Apr 10, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant...even to this day, I'm perplexed by women who I had known who were into the B&D scene. All main stream, RN', Teahers, Librarians, professioalt types...few blue collar or clerical types.
They derived plesure by what they refered to as Serving their Dom, wearing Dog Collars and even being refered to as furniture. Of course tied up, spanked, verbaly abused. It was not my cup of tea, but I did participate and enjoyed part of it more on an abstract artistic level...I did not seek it out, they (females) brought me into to it
Most women do fantasize about certain B&D scenarios, let's be real about this
Sorry to disappoint, but somewhere you asked me if I was into that SCENE, I would have to say NO.
I guess I didn't understand what was so erotic about Mickey Rourke having Kim Basinger crawl across the floor while he threw money at her.

I liked the ice cube scene and the waterfall scene and even thought the scene where she dressed up as a man a kick. I didn't realize until I read up on it today that when she was dressed up like a man, he took her to the room and took her "like a man"...does that mean anal sex?

Back to the Spiderman underwear and Charlie's Angels with Cameron Diaz.

Just so you know, yes I've worn "boy shorts" made for women. Does that mean I'm a weirdo?
or maybe just too much testosterone? ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-Semitism in Sun City stained glass club 23 hr Bob Howicz 18
Review: M&P Venture Partners LLC (Mar '13) Mon Premier demolition 30
prostitutes on 27th ave (Jan '10) Mon James45 130
Gay or Bi FaceTime (Jul '12) Nov 18 Jake 19
News When did it last rain in Phoenix? 85 days ago a... Nov 18 Whiny1 1
Anyone know a Vicky Leswick, she says she is a ... Nov 17 Guest in Phoenix 5
Free Interfaith event Rio Vista Recreation Cent... Oct '17 WestValleyBahais 1

Peoria Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance