Jodi Arias claims self-defense as mur...

Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins

There are 7233 comments on the KTVK Phoenix story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins. In it, KTVK Phoenix reports that:

A defense attorney says an Arizona woman charged with stabbing and shooting her boyfriend to death in 2008 acted in self-defense because he was violent and abusive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVK Phoenix.

Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2691 Apr 8, 2013
Definition of Murder and Manslaughter
Murder ‘“ is defined by both English and American courts as using violent means to deprive another human being of life with malicious intent.

Read more: Difference Between Murder and Manslaughter | Difference Between | Murder vs Manslaughter http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneou...

Murder 1 - guilty
Jst sayin

Chesapeake, OH

#2692 Apr 8, 2013
You probably should have read a little more

Manslaughter ‘“ also has a similar definition in England in America. It refers to taking the life of another human being but without malice.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2693 Apr 8, 2013
Jst sayin wrote:
You probably should have read a little more
Manslaughter ‘“ also has a similar definition in England in America. It refers to taking the life of another human being but without malice.
Manslaughter is defined (in what I read) as being UNINTENTIONAL.

If you believe this murder was unintentional, you need to carpool home with Ms. Alyce
Jst sayin

Chesapeake, OH

#2694 Apr 8, 2013
Good grief,
Malice- desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another.
Therefore being without malice would be without the desire to inflict injury.... Unintentional
I'll only carpool with Alice if she has room for my gas cans in her trunk.:-)
Fact is: you only know what the sheep at HLN have told you. Too bad you can't search for information yourself and come up with your own assumption.
FYI: Travis had past domestic violence accusations.
trying to understand

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2695 Apr 8, 2013
Good Day wrote:
LG, she can never get out...
Have you heard/seen her say, ".... I know that he's in a good place, he's fine, I know that he's doing great, but what about all of his friends? all of his family that are here? and they're just going through all this, And I Know That It's Temporary, but it's so very much right now..."
WT????
Just throw away the key! And, please give her a tubal ligation, immediately.
WT, It's just temporary??? Really? What a cold, soulless _____.
8:52 http://www.youtube.com/watch...
She is a sociopath.
Time, counseling, or self-help books from LV or Dr. Samuels, can't fix this, ever.
No break for her. DP required, because TA's abuse didn't make her core values change to become such a heartless person who thinks the devastation of losing a loved one is "Temporary". What a sicko.
God Bless your heart for having the sincere compassion for the victim TA and his family. It has been a roller coaster ride of emotions for me with this case. In the very beginning of this case i whole heartily felt that Jodi was deeply abused and had no choice but to defend herself. However after all the evidence presented to this very day and especially along with the detective interviews i do believe she is a sociopath. You nailed it. CORE VALUES.. Zip Zero..

Another good point from an above post was made about a person who has no conscience. I believe she would fit right in for the rest of her life with prison time,. No guilt,no shame,no remorse. The Only sorrow is for herself and only herself.

Good Day i would not allow this woman to babysit my kids, shes like a black widow. Reminds me of those type of women.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2696 Apr 8, 2013
Hi LG, Please :) help me w/the interrogation by Det. Flores on July 15, 2008 . He tells her that he doesn't belive she could be a cold killer becauuse of the previous conversations he's had w/her, and that's coming from his heart... he says he wants to believe that soemthing got out of control, or ....
Is Det. Flores just trying to convince her that he sees her as someone who couldn't be a cold killer to get her to tell him what happened, or is he serious? remeber, at this point he already knows she did it, and has lied to him...
Interrogation #5 http://www.youtube.com/watch...
* Please watch at least the first 11 min. of the tape and tell me, please :)
LA Guy

United States

#2697 Apr 8, 2013
Good Day wrote:
Hi LG, Please :) help me w/the interrogation by Det. Flores on July 15, 2008 . He tells her that he doesn't belive she could be a cold killer becauuse of the previous conversations he's had w/her, and that's coming from his heart... he says he wants to believe that soemthing got out of control, or ....
Is Det. Flores just trying to convince her that he sees her as someone who couldn't be a cold killer to get her to tell him what happened, or is he serious? remeber, at this point he already knows she did it, and has lied to him...
Just got back in, caught the end of NG and now DR D on.

Some hell nay be breaking loose, rumors of a witness in contact with TA's family. A new Mistrial issue? Also NG & Dr Dr, opining on JA's high IQ, even near genuis range.

Det Flores is a real pro and a man with a good heart. He knows that JA is not a cold blooded killer in the big scheme of killers and homicides, which he could write a book on. Good Detectives, hoever, are alays using interrogation tactics and both probably merged.

Need to read all of your posts, will get back in touch this evening. Just want to give a short lesson to one poster on Manslaughter. Now they are relying of text book definations and old common law from England.
hybridlment

Louisville, KY

#2698 Apr 8, 2013
Jst sayin wrote:
Bullets and a gun and they haven't brought it to court? Really? Right and JM is just going through the trial because he wants to spend a million dollars of tax payers money. Come on.
Mopping the floor? He thinks the jury is stupid and is tryin to twist her words. She's not changing her statements and him asking the same question over and over when she's answered it would infuriate me as a juror. You can't put most things in a yes or no box without having to explain it. Him trying to get her to do that and think they jury doesn't notice shows just how dumb he thinks they are. He's losing with this witness. If he would sit down now he would be better off.
They found .25 bullets and a 9mm she bought in July. Neither were the crime weapon and the gun was bought after the killing, so neither were in court.
LA Guy

United States

#2699 Apr 8, 2013
Manslaugher Primer for some of the above posters who finaly got around toi looking up simne definations.

Manslaughter in general terms in not unintentional and is treated as a lower degree homicide.

Spouse catches partner in bed with another. Shoots one or both to death. Malice.

Arguement in bar, someone called a M Fcker, stabbed to death. Malice

Neither of the above are unintentional

BWS is mitigating, could fall in Manslaughter range... also JA has engaged in a deftacto mental incapacity defense, aside from straight Self Defense.

Unintentional Manslaughter involves negligence and statutes exist in these categories.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2700 Apr 8, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just got back in, caught the end of NG and now DR D on.
Some hell nay be breaking loose, rumors of a witness in contact with TA's family. A new Mistrial issue? Also NG & Dr Dr, opining on JA's high IQ, even near genuis range.
Det Flores is a real pro and a man with a good heart. He knows that JA is not a cold blooded killer in the big scheme of killers and homicides, which he could write a book on. Good Detectives, hoever, are alays using interrogation tactics and both probably merged.
Need to read all of your posts, will get back in touch this evening. Just want to give a short lesson to one poster on Manslaughter. Now they are relying of text book definations and old common law from England.
\
Missed U, all day.. trying to make sense of this is so hard.
LG, I would've agreed w/you that he believes she isn't a cold blooded killer, Untillll she told him that she knows what the family is dealing with is Just Temporary...
LG, OM, okkk, that's no remorse, dark soul, probably remnants of her wicca interest that messed her up on an empathy level, if she ever had any to begin with...
I think that statement would change anyone's mind, to hear her say that, nevermind that she said it about someone she supposedly loved at one time, and killed for any reason.
Please watch her in action... It's shocking. I was caught Way Off Guard by that statement. It shows no remorse, hence, DP is my vote.
Wondering: Did the jury get to hear her say that? Did Wilmott & Nurmi hear her say that?
LA Guy

United States

#2701 Apr 8, 2013
trying to understand wrote:
<quoted text>God Bless your heart for having the sincere compassion for the victim TA and his family. It has been a roller coaster ride of emotions for me with this case. In the very beginning of this case i whole heartily felt that Jodi was deeply abused and had no choice but to defend herself. However after all the evidence presented to this very day and especially along with the detective interviews i do believe she is a sociopath. You nailed it. CORE VALUES.. Zip Zero..
Another good point from an above post was made about a person who has no conscience. I believe she would fit right in for the rest of her life with prison time,. No guilt,no shame,no remorse. The Only sorrow is for herself and only herself.
Good Day i would not allow this woman to babysit my kids, shes like a black widow. Reminds me of those type of women.
Your heart is in the right place, but you contradict yourself. You stated that Jodi was abused and had no other choice but to defend herslef, but want her to do life in prison. Keep in mind, that we are a Country of laws.

Sociopaths, in criminal jurisprudence is not accurate, since it is being overused and mixed up with the traditional Psychopaths who kill.
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2702 Apr 8, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said, in simple terms she did snap. They were both caught up in a highly sexually fueled vortex, with elements of BDSM. A dangerous erotic game, with Travis as the Dom, who degraded her and broke her down emotionaly. He said or did something while in the shower, which finaly pushed her into a blurred rage. She loved Travis too much. This is a crime of passion and is traditionaly charged in most jurisdictions as manslaughter. Latina women are prone to lash out at continued abuse, much more so than other races.
FYI - I'm a handsome successfull white male in LA, who is aware of the dynamics in cases like this one. I have also dated women who look like Jody and who had the same demeanor on the surface.
Alyce got taken in by stone cold sociopath. It's a good thing she is at the end of her career at age 65.
The only thing Alyce is an expert at is finding an all you can eat buffet. She tries to make herself appear to be more intelligent than she is by the books she has read. What really sealed it for me is when I saw one of her presentations and she is talking about PTSD among the military as if she had experienced military combat firsthand. Has she ever been in the military? I don't know how long she has been morbidly obese, but she would be better off presenting at the Women of Faith gatherings where women are easily duped and where she might not look so large next to Sandi Patty. Don't let her sing next to Amy Grant. She might just eat her as a snack.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2703 Apr 8, 2013
sociopath: Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.
Her name is all over that charateristic. She doesn't have any remorse, she feels justified in the end result, because she said "he's in a better place, he's fine, he's doing great..."
OM, it's the absolute sickest statement I've ever heard, especially coming from the very person who ended soemone's life. I think that tells us she "atoned him" (slit his neck Mormon style) to get him to Heaven, in her own twisted, sick mind.
LA Guy

United States

#2704 Apr 8, 2013
Hi Hun

Wish I coud call you right now:)

Need to re-read your posts. Hun, she's no Cassey Anthony, who willfully smothered her daughter or drugged and taped her mouth to knock her out so she could party.

They both visciously lied beyond a Hollywood script could invent, but in part for different reasons. Cassey truly evil, not so with JA.

I have had some swings of thought on JA, particularly with her re-arming herself with a high powered 9mm and the way she treated her parents...but, still see this as a Mansluaghter, are you still on board with the Last Fifteen.
LA Guy

United States

#2705 Apr 8, 2013
Good Day wrote:
<quoted text>\
Missed U, all day.. trying to make sense of this is so hard.
LG, I would've agreed w/you that he believes she isn't a cold blooded killer, Untillll she told him that she knows what the family is dealing with is Just Temporary...
LG, OM, okkk, that's no remorse, dark soul, probably remnants of her wicca interest that messed her up on an empathy level, if she ever had any to begin with...
I think that statement would change anyone's mind, to hear her say that, nevermind that she said it about someone she supposedly loved at one time, and killed for any reason.
Please watch her in action... It's shocking. I was caught Way Off Guard by that statement. It shows no remorse, hence, DP is my vote.
Wondering: Did the jury get to hear her say that? Did Wilmott & Nurmi hear her say that?
I understand why you feel this way... good point on dark side, remnants of Wicca...sleep on this one, slow down as to her deserving the DP. I relate with you, on the need to punish her...but not life, nor DP

HLN this evening has a different shift, more legal experts and mock jurors leaning towards enough of JA's defense. Looks like a hung jury on the horizon.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2706 Apr 8, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
Hi Hun
Wish I coud call you right now:)
Need to re-read your posts. Hun, she's no Cassey Anthony, who willfully smothered her daughter or drugged and taped her mouth to knock her out so she could party.
They both visciously lied beyond a Hollywood script could invent, but in part for different reasons. Cassey truly evil, not so with JA.
I have had some swings of thought on JA, particularly with her re-arming herself with a high powered 9mm and the way she treated her parents...but, still see this as a Mansluaghter, are you still on board with the Last Fifteen.
:) likewise * LA's so far away, LG. I have to take care of some things.* I believe the last 15 were a factor. My only change on her was a result of the I-tapes, especially #5. That was the truth serum. That's why I say she is a CA relative in spirit, how they both treated LE and their family, and the extent they both went to blame others. No remorse when someone says grief is temporarey and the dead person is in a better place after they killed them. It wasn't her call to make for TA. I believe she atoned him, now. Not a doubt in my mind.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2707 Apr 8, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand why you feel this way... good point on dark side, remnants of Wicca...sleep on this one, slow down as to her deserving the DP. I relate with you, on the need to punish her...but not life, nor DP
HLN this evening has a different shift, more legal experts and mock jurors leaning towards enough of JA's defense. Looks like a hung jury on the horizon.
No turning back for me on DP. I don't care how bad she cries. She said it herself, and got her DP ticket: what they're dealing with right now is temporary... she said that, I'm telling you it's on the tape.
Really??? temporary??? Did the jury hear her say that and how he's in a better place??? I think that's crucial for sentencing, especailly how the atonement by neck cutting fits right in there, to getting him to a better place. Dear God, is Martinez that inept, to miss those points?
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2708 Apr 8, 2013
Good Day wrote:
Det. Flores also said he wanted to talk about the fact that Travis Alexander did not consider Jodi as being marriage material. He flattered her by saying something like that she was a great girl.

And that's all I've got to say about that (for now)
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2709 Apr 8, 2013
Is it just me, or does anyone else believe she's getting a break because she "was attractive" when she took all of her photos, and killed him?
(I think he was scum for how he treated her, whether or not she said she liked it. And, he was playing women for fools.. he was a lost soul and a mean guy)
How can someone get out of prison, ever, if they say that other people dealing w/a death is just a temporary thing??? I wish I had a direct line to Willmott & Nurmi to ask them is they saw her say that. She's not a sweet innocent person.
LA Guy

United States

#2710 Apr 8, 2013
Good Day wrote:
<quoted text>
No turning back for me on DP. I don't care how bad she cries. She said it herself, and got her DP ticket: what they're dealing with right now is temporary... she said that, I'm telling you it's on the tape.
Really??? temporary??? Did the jury hear her say that and how he's in a better place??? I think that's crucial for sentencing, especailly how the atonement by neck cutting fits right in there, to getting him to a better place. Dear God, is Martinez that inept, to miss those points?
Slow down, Hun

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dominique Ellis Scumbag Real Estate Agent 5 hr Augie 4
Cubans Get U.S. Welfare Checks in Cuba 7 hr Hittcountry 4
we are suppliers of froozen chicken feet in l... (Mar '13) 12 hr Joe Lau 42
frito lay makes rainbow chips in support of gay... 18 hr guest 7
News Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law (Apr '10) 19 hr southern at heart 193,145
Trump for President, He will win. watch Thu David and the Pho... 3
Why is Trump flip flopping? Thu Repub4life 3

Peoria Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peoria Mortgages