Jodi Arias claims self-defense as mur...

Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins

There are 7233 comments on the KTVK Phoenix story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins. In it, KTVK Phoenix reports that:

A defense attorney says an Arizona woman charged with stabbing and shooting her boyfriend to death in 2008 acted in self-defense because he was violent and abusive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVK Phoenix.

Tex Empires

Spring, TX

#2463 Mar 29, 2013
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Jodi-Arias-expla...

I read this account, but I don't believe it. She has been proven to be a liar in the past. She is probably just trying to save her own neck. If he had choked her until she blacked out, why did she go back? If that is true, that should be a good indication that is not someone who is mentally/emotionally stable and you would want to avoid them.

I was trying to figure out how far apart they were and how far she had to go to visit him on that day. Excuse my ignorance, but some of the case is mind numbingly boring. I'm hoping someone who has been watching it from the beginning has some answers.

After seeing bits and pieces of the trial regarding Caylee's death, I realize that if she walked, so could Jodi Arias.
Tex Empires

Spring, TX

#2464 Mar 29, 2013
I tried to watch some of the trial on you tube, but it seemed very tedious. How long before this circus ends? It is ridiculous. So much time is being spent trying to discredit people who assessed/interviewed her. Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what her real psychological diagnosis would be?

One guy who assessed her went only on what she said. What a mistake. It made him look like a fool. She told him she had trouble reading and concentrating. Then Jodi testified she had read the book of Mormon cover to cover and also her own journal and had no trouble doing so. She just played him. Her demeanor and what I have read screams sociopath to me.
LA Guy

United States

#2465 Mar 29, 2013
Good Day wrote:
Hello LG from the City by the Bay :)
Goodmorning Lover

Yes, the City by the Bay, the one and only
Tex Empires

Spring, TX

#2466 Mar 29, 2013
For all of those feeling so sorry for her, remember that she managed to stuff his dead or dying body back in the shower to wash off DNA evidence and didn't even place an anonymous call or have someone else do it so that his body would sit there for 5 days before being found.

Schizo, psycho, sociopath, borderline...what's your verdict?
LA Guy

United States

#2467 Mar 29, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
Rule 803. Hearsay Exceptions; Availability of Declarant Immaterial
http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/e803.htm
That's what I thought

They could still call him, but
Tex Empires

Spring, TX

#2468 Mar 29, 2013
I wish she would quit licking her tongue out. There's something about her that just makes you want to smack that smirk off her face. I wonder what her demeanor will be if she gets life in prison or the death penalty. Will she be smirking and licking her tongue out? She really is a piece of work. She needs to go away for a long time and disappear into obscurity.
LA Guy

United States

#2469 Mar 29, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope Alyce LaViolette is not the last witness to testify for the defense. LaViolette was not allowed to directly quote from the Hughes' emails because of the hearsay rule. I hope the defense will call the Hughes to testify, they are on their witness list.
Chris Hughes being questioned by Nurmi outside the presence of the jury:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =z4bTzT-c0DIXX
Bell has been run, but some iceing on the cake would be nice

Hey, final arguements are going to be wild, some cliches will be memorable ... will it be Nurmi or Wilmont?

Has to at least hang or aquittal on Murder One, unless a much lower is profered in the instructions... goofey, AZ, supposedly lets the jury weigh in on lower options all on their silly own.

Also, is Martinez capable of changing his stripes on his cross of AV....doubt it
LA Guy

United States

#2470 Mar 29, 2013
Tex Empires wrote:
I wish she would quit licking her tongue...She really is a piece of work.
True, Tex, as to her really being a piece of work, as you put it.

She might just walk, Tex. Las Vegas might pay about 10 to 1 odds on it. Not a bad longhshot bet. Put at least a hundred bucks on JA.
LA Guy

United States

#2471 Mar 29, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
Jodi Arias' Domestic Violence Expert Says Email Proves Travis Alexander Was Abusive
Posted: 03/28/2013 7:34 pm EDT | Updated: 03/28/2013 7:34 pm EDT
Jodi Arias’ defense team may have scored its first big win Thursday when a domestic violence expert testified about previously undisclosed emails from Travis Alexander’s close friends that indicate he had a history of being abusive.
"They have basically advised Ms. Arias to move on from the relationship ... that Mr. Alexander has been abusive to women." psychotherapist Alyce LaViolette testified.
LaViolette was referencing email exchanges between Arias, Alexander and his longtime friends Chris and Sky Hughes.
LaViolette was not allowed to quote from the emails and they were not shown to the jury, but she was allowed to paraphrase the content and offer her opinion on it.
"The question with regard to whether or not the Hugheses thought Mr. Alexander had previously been abusive with women, is that important to you?" Arias’ defense attorney, Jennifer Willmott, asked LaViolette.
"Yes, it is," LaViolette replied.
"Does that help you to formulate an opinion ultimately about the type of relationship this ended up to be?" asked Willmott.
"Yes it does," said LaViolette.
"And so, in this e-mail, is there information about whether or not Mr. Alexander's closest friends thought he had issues with women?" Willmott asked.
"Yes, there is," said LaViolette.
Within the email exchange, Sky Hughes also wrote, according to Laviolette, that she would not allow Alexander to date her sister.
"They [the Hughes] thought he needed counseling, they also indicated that they thought he was greatly affected by his childhood and he was afraid to look at it because he was afraid it would make him look weak," said LaViolette.
"There was reference to a particular woman and his manipulation of that woman." LaViolette said. "There was information about Mr. Alexander calling Ms. Arias a skank and then acting like it was a joke. There was information about the way he ignored her in public places and would not allow her to put pictures of them up in places where other people could see them. Just basic ways he treated her, or they felt he mistreated her ... that they indicated were abusive.”
Prosecutor Juan Martinez objected to much of the defense expert's testimony, calling it was hearsay. However, the judge overruled the majority of the objections.
There is more ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28/jodi...
Unaware of these factors...Thank's for the research

Best Regards, LA Guy
LA Guy

United States

#2472 Mar 29, 2013
Tex Empires

Where is Springs, Texas....does not show up on my Global Satellite imaging coming out of LA nor registered in other Nat'l indices...lol

Enjoy you being on....Best, LA Guy
LA Guy

United States

#2473 Mar 29, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
Rule 803. Hearsay Exceptions; Availability of Declarant Immaterial
http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/e803.htm
Except in Illinois, thanks to Du Page DA...lol
Tex Empires

Spring, TX

#2474 Mar 29, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
True, Tex, as to her really being a piece of work, as you put it.
She might just walk, Tex. Las Vegas might pay about 10 to 1 odds on it. Not a bad longhshot bet. Put at least a hundred bucks on JA.
I read she quit school in the 11th grade, but jail has allowed her to get a GED. She has also taught herself Spanish and sign language while in jail. I saw a pic somewhere stating she sang O Holy Night while in jail.

How can they prove domestic violence? Did she ever go the ER with marks on her? Did she ever suffer any broken bones? Did she ever go to a psychologist or social worker due to being verbally abuse or manipulated into a 50 Shades of Grey world? If someone wants you to role play such that you braid your hair in pigtails and shave your crotch hair, is that grounds for murder?

Jason Alexander may not have been the clean-cut, God-fearing guy some that he was, but I don't believe he deserved to die in the manner that he did. I don't understand why she isn't trying to place doubt that she worked alone. If there were others involved, she might be able to save herself.
Tex Empires

Spring, TX

#2475 Mar 29, 2013
Oops. That's Travis Alexander.

Since: Jan 13

Bundoora, Australia

#2476 Mar 29, 2013
Good Day wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is, all coming together, right in front of all the Media clowns. And, the Hughes are toast nowm, bevause they basically lied on the stand about any concerns regarding Travis. They tried to make Jodi the ill-adjusted one.
Wow.... Hey, NG, "Bombshell tonight, you should've withheld commentary until after the trial had run its course."
Agree and they got up in front of the world with their interview. No principles at all. Media hounds which is ironic since that is what Chris called Searcy.

Bundoora, Australia

#2477 Mar 29, 2013
Tex Empires wrote:
<quoted text>
I read she quit school in the 11th grade, but jail has allowed her to get a GED. She has also taught herself Spanish and sign language while in jail. I saw a pic somewhere stating she sang O Holy Night while in jail.
How can they prove domestic violence? Did she ever go the ER with marks on her? Did she ever suffer any broken bones? Did she ever go to a psychologist or social worker due to being verbally abuse or manipulated into a 50 Shades of Grey world? If someone wants you to role play such that you braid your hair in pigtails and shave your crotch hair, is that grounds for murder?
Jason Alexander may not have been the clean-cut, God-fearing guy some that he was, but I don't believe he deserved to die in the manner that he did. I don't understand why she isn't trying to place doubt that she worked alone. If there were others involved, she might be able to save herself.
I believe that her friend Matt is going to be a witness for the bruises.

Bundoora, Australia

#2478 Mar 29, 2013
Tex Empires wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone helped her then it was definitely premeditated. Right now, whether it is true or not, I don't remember is probably the best course if she wants to get off DP. She can't be teased out about anything. You just know JM would say "so after 5 stabs wasn't it enough to stop Travis? what about 10? what about when you slit his throat? Why did you decide to shoot him after it was all said and done?" add in the accomplice and "when did you decide who would slice his neck? was that before or after you had sex downstairs or was it when you filled up the gas cans in pasadena?"
Another Poster

Elmhurst, IL

#2479 Mar 29, 2013
Allegations of misconduct sidetrack Arias trial

By BRIAN SKOLOFF | Associated Press

In a video posted on azcentral.com last week, Martinez is seen posing for pictures and even autographing the cane of a woman who has been watching the trial.

"There were several individuals interviewed about how great he is," Nurmi said. "It's entirely possible that more than one juror saw this."

At least one juror sometimes lingers outside the courthouse after the trial has concluded for the day while spectators mull around, cameras at the ready, waiting for Martinez and others to emerge.

On Thursday, Judge Sherry Stephens privately questioned each juror about whether they had witnessed Martinez's interactions with the crowd. Jurors in the case are not sequestered and are warned daily by the judge to avoid media coverage of the trial.

Within an hour of testimony ending Thursday, the juror who has been seen in the past outside the courthouse after trial sat eating ice cream on a bench near a group of spectators who were waiting for the prosecutor.

Martinez chose to take a different exit Thursday afternoon and avoided the scene.

http://news.yahoo.com/allegations-misconduct-...

http://news.yahoo.com/allegations-misconduct-...
Another Poster

Elmhurst, IL

#2480 Mar 29, 2013
Star prosecutor in Jodi Arias murder trial accused of misconduct by signing autographs and posing for pictures with fans outside court

Rock star status: Prosecutor Juan Martinez, left, landed in hot water after Jodi Arias' defense accused him of misconduct for giving autographs outside the courtroom and posing with fans like Katie Wick, right.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23008...
Another Poster

Elmhurst, IL

#2481 Mar 29, 2013
Dr. Drew 'juror' called out by Arias defense

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/03/28/dr-drew...
Another Poster

Elmhurst, IL

#2482 Mar 29, 2013
HLN Airs Ridiculously Goofy Segment On How Jodi Arias Prosecutor Gets ‘Rock Star Treatment’ From Fans

One soundbite applauds Martinez as a guy who’s got a “couple of people on death row right now.” Yay! Let’s get his autograph?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/hln-airs-ridiculou...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frito lay lies to customers and employees (Dec '15) 13 hr guest 66
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) 18 hr chuckles 890
we are suppliers of froozen chicken feet in l... (Mar '13) Jun 22 Comex2Go 40
irish travelers(gypsies) (Feb '11) Jun 21 TheScottishAmeric... 42
Rebecca Zuchowski Jun 20 Pope 1
prostitutes on 27th ave (Jan '10) Jun 20 Luke 87
Review: Deep Within Recovery Inc (May '10) Jun 19 Todd l 29
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peoria Mortgages