Sue Filipiak

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2006

I understand its been closed down under that name and wondered if anyone had any information on why? The years I interested in would be back from 2000, or a few years after that.
robert

Wayne, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2007

yes its ben closed they changed it to lakeview wilderness academy but that closed down to.
dustin

West Branch, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2008

Judged:

hi, i was a juvinile that want to fort rosa parks. the boot camp closed down do to the violence and thats the truth. i out of all people would know. i lived through it. for all the parents who wish to send your children to a boot camp, i just have to say that thats cruelty. i dont care who you are. if you lived through it you would understand. it changed me but not the way every body exspected it to. i will NEVER EVER wish or even think about sending anyone to bootcamp and for the people who have or do, i believe your the ones who need help. for the people who whould like to respond to this posting, please just e-mail me at deathdag666@yahoo.com.
johnny18b

Hope Mills, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2009

robert wrote:
yes its ben closed they changed it to lakeview wilderness academy but that closed down to.
hey robert do you think you could post the phone number or email adress for Ft. Rosa Parks or Lakeview
wilderness academay
Ryan

Midland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2009

you know what i went to fort rosa parks around 2002 and it was the best thing that ever happend to me if you think that park is violent or has done anything wrong your a liar and you were probably too week to make it through it that park changed my life and it makes me sad to think that its closed and that there are kids that went to it that are talking bad about it get your head out of your ass.
johnny18b

Hope Mills, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Ryan wrote:
you know what i went to fort rosa parks around 2002 and it was the best thing that ever happend to me if you think that park is violent or has done anything wrong your a liar and you were probably too week to make it through it that park changed my life and it makes me sad to think that its closed and that there are kids that went to it that are talking bad about it get your head out of your ass.
Ryan, I also went to Ft. Rosa Parks when it first opened. I was actually the first student there. It drastically changed my life. Im in the military and would like to get in touch w/ some of the personel that used to work there. I should have done it a long time ago but didnt. Hindsight is twenty twenty but if you could give me a phone number, mailing adress, or even an email adress that would be greatly appreciated. I can take it from there.
armywife8488

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

johnny18b wrote:
<quoted text>Ryan, I also went to Ft. Rosa Parks when it first opened. I was actually the first student there. It drastically changed my life. Im in the military and would like to get in touch w/ some of the personel that used to work there. I should have done it a long time ago but didnt. Hindsight is twenty twenty but if you could give me a phone number, mailing adress, or even an email adress that would be greatly appreciated. I can take it from there.
My husband went to Fort Rosa Parks as a teen and it changed him as well. He actually ironically is in the military as well. He strives for that kind of routine and discipline. He said that Fort Rosa Parks was a great place and he said that he would recommend that for anyone who needs help. He did say that they were tough and had strict discipline, but if you did what you were told and did it when they asked you then you wouldnt get into trouble. Just like in the real military. He did recall one person who was way rougher than he should have been; but he reported him and he was suspended and later fired. Anyway he got a hold of (well actually she found him) one of his counselors there on facebook. So perhaps you could search there if you remember any of the names of the personal or anything.
Krista

Bridgewater, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2009

I attended lakeview wilderness academy and the place was the biggest joke for a "corrections" facility. Im now trying to get in touch with someone whom may know about the closing when and why!?!?!
Tiffany

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2009

I was the second female to ever attend Fort Rosa Parks back in 99' i have to say it was the best thing that ever happend to me.Many people may want to talk bad but except responsibility for ur own actions u put urself there so b4 u put a good facility down look in the mirror!
ggcdd

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

hello
brenda

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2009

Tiffany wrote:
I was the second female to ever attend Fort Rosa Parks back in 99' i have to say it was the best thing that ever happend to me.Many people may want to talk bad but except responsibility for ur own actions u put urself there so b4 u put a good facility down look in the mirror!
Hi I was the third and it changed my life as well.
Sgt Kraemer

Scottville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

I am glad to see a discussion about Fort Rosa Parks happening on line. I worked there for two years, one as the social worker / leader of 2nd Platoon, and then as the Language Arts teacher. I was proud to work there, and saw "miracles" happen every day. I quit a year before it closed for a few reasons. First, because it was growing too fast. It was amazingly successful, and Colonel Slickers was spending too much time trying to open new facilities. Seconoly, they ran out of good workers. Walkerville only has so many peopole willing to give all, keep their cool, and maintain the high personal standards expected of staff. Any break from the high standards meant dismissal. I saw many told to leave just because they "had a bad day." Slickers insisted that staff never have a bad day with the youth. Thirdly, Slickers refused to give up on any youth. THere were some youth I believe needed an environment different than FRPyet he kept several youthy hoping for a change, but those few spent their time ruining whatever they could around them. I know of no other juvenile justice facility that would have reunions where over a hundered former "inmates" would return for a weekend of camping. I know of no other facility willing to take bus loads of their youth to parades, festivals, schools, etc. for showing off. I know of no other facilities that sent their youth to help out with community service up to a hundered miles away, and were in hign demand for such service. I know of no other facility that took their youth to Detroit and let each of their young people sit in Rosa Park's van and get her personal blessing.
I know hard times were there too. Three minute showers, obstacle courses, sand hills, hit the deck push-ups, two miles before breakfast, and months with your eyes on the deck as 4th Platoon walked by. There is nothing more terrifying than having all 120 pounds of Sgt. D. staring through you face to face, but the same terrified new boot would love and trust Sgt. D. for being there, being consistent, expecting the best, and helping you achieve the impossible.
Hope more of you folks can add to the history of Fort Rosa Parks.
christina

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

I also went to fort rosa back in 2001 and it most def changed my life... just looking it up cause my nephew is out of control and so disrespectful and nothing seems to help
nathan

New Baltimore, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

ive been their as well. as for the violence...yes it happend... and it was delt with..it was bootcamp people. i spent alot of time at the place..matter of fact was their twice.asked to go back the second rather than sit in the youth home. i was in the trans living program and knew alot about the place. that place was one of a kind.. fort rosa parks was the best place to be.....at times
Catherine

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2009

Ft Rosa did not close for any abuse reasons. It was a decision made by the new owners. I worked there and I believe that it was a life changing experience for many troubled youth. Those that wanted help walked away with a changed attitude and a new outlook on life as you can see from the posts. Anyone that had a negative experience while there brought it with them and left with it because they refused to work on their problems. The program did what it was set up to do and I'm sure there are many success stories out from many that were placed there. It certainly was not a correctional facility, it was a treatment facility for troubled youth. Good luck to all former youth that went to Ft Rosa/LWA.
william anderson

Alpena, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

and the sundance in montana was very intersting at fort rosa
william anderson

Alpena, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

fort rosa taught me to have a lot of respct but drugs is what sent my self to prison but it was my own fault not the drugs i had a choice sometimes you have to be a slow leaner get the picture of life stay out of trouble and you might be able to finish school and get all the things you have ever wanted i woudve joind the military but i have a very bad mental illness becaues of the drugs i ghose to do thats why stay away from neg. things and do positve things eith your life because fort rosa tauagt me alot to be srong even if you fall back and get up and move forward you get down and depreesed suckit up and drive on
hi everybody from the fort
momofaprisioner

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

Krista wrote:
I attended lakeview wilderness academy and the place was the biggest joke for a "corrections" facility. Im now trying to get in touch with someone whom may know about the closing when and why!?!?!
My son also went there and what a big joke it was they were always getting injured and they didnt have heat half of the time. I was so glad when the judge moved him from that trash hole. The counslers had lost total control.The girls were busting out the windows in the boys cabins and they were running around naked. No control what so ever. Im pretty sure they closed to due this and the fact they lost there funding. And the state also came for inspection as well.
momofaprisioner

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2009

I also took care of a young girl who stold a car from there and was in a terrible reck. She did not live to be here today. She was only 12
Dawn Sears

Fowlerville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2010

I am a parent of two children that attended There. It was several years ago, and it did change their lives. My son was first, he had a few behavorial problems after his dad died. I was single and couldn't control him. My daughter was second. She got into trouble at school, and if I hadn't sent her there the courts would have. They were both there twice, and it did make a difference. As for violence, it was the youth that got violent. They would either attack the staff or the other youth. It was the staff that would step in to restrain them until they calmed down. So for those of you who say it was violent, get over yourselves. You just didn't want to be there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pentwater Discussions

Search the Pentwater Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 6 hr gottondas 5,482
Tom Rotta / Good for Ludington? Jul 14 Catlovertea4 13
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Jul 12 tjj 147
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Mae McCrath Jul 4 Hmmm 1
Free movie tickets! (May '09) Jun 27 barbara bellis 12
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Oceana County was issued at July 23 at 3:08PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
Pentwater Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Pentwater Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000