206 jobs lost at Lehigh Press in Penn...

206 jobs lost at Lehigh Press in Pennsauken

There are 14 comments on the CourierPostOnline story from Jun 27, 2008, titled 206 jobs lost at Lehigh Press in Pennsauken. In it, CourierPostOnline reports that:

After 84 years, Lehigh Press Inc. is closing the book on its printing operation here, laying off 206 workers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CourierPostOnline.

OMALLEY

Glassboro, NJ

#1 Jun 30, 2008
Corporate greed, bad management (plant manager had affair with a married HR employee!
PENNSAUKEN MAN

Glassboro, NJ

#2 Jun 30, 2008
Plant manager's name is Steve Carpenter!!! Broke up a marriage on company time and corporate did nothing to him. How unprofessional!
Was there once

Ada, MI

#3 Jul 13, 2008
Carpenter was sent there from the start to shut the place down like he did the other place in Allentown Pa . What goes around comes around one day Steve. BET YOU'LL HAVE A ONE CAR FUNERAL ONE DAY!
Was there once

Ada, MI

#4 Jul 13, 2008
YEA , HER NAME IS CARRIE KELLY .WHY NOT WRECK HER MARRIAGE STEVE YOURS WAS A MESS.She looked a lot like Olive Oil.
that is so mean

Frederick, MD

#5 Nov 7, 2008
Was there once wrote:
YEA , HER NAME IS CARRIE KELLY .WHY NOT WRECK HER MARRIAGE STEVE YOURS WAS A MESS.She looked a lot like Olive Oil.
that is so mean
suck it

United States

#6 Nov 12, 2008
he now has a parking spot at phoenix color, WTF
Wendy from Kenexa

Bryn Mawr, PA

#7 Nov 20, 2008
My company is looking for a Die Cutter with Bobst 1080/102 experience.
Position based in Sharon Hill, PA

anyone interested?
Milwaukee Loves Favre

Milwaukee, WI

#8 Oct 1, 2009
These jerks came to Milwaukee and totally destroyed our company too! I think Steve was giving it to a guy they hired named Scott in the A**! They so messed it up here, we were the competition, then the "team", then the fall guys! 65 lost jobs, watch out at Phoenix Color, here they come to get you!! They all will each have a "one car" funeral! rott in HELL, ALL OF YOU!!!!!
Margie

United States

#9 Jun 24, 2010
I worked at LP in Pennsauken, but got the ax with 9 others in 1994. This was the first of the wave of destroying the American worker. After the father died, his boy (and I use that term wisely!) took over. Henchmen were hired. They tried to get people to quit instead of laying off. And to get people to quit, they used really horrible tactics. They didn't want to pay unemployment. I remember sitting in a meeting, and if one opened their mouth to say something, you'd get a stack of papers thrown at you. This managers' name was Mike. A total bastard, and I do pray karma has bit him in the butt. Anyway, none of us quit. I think 11 men in the pressroom sued LP and won their case. The day my group got axed, I watched grown men that had worked in printing for 30-40 years, cry as they were ushered out of the building. The tears were not of sadness, it was utter humiliation. Office employees watched as we were ushered out. They were kind of happy, sad to say. Some get joy in the misery of others. Or maybe it was the lines of coke set up in the restrooms that helped them through. How come everyone wonders why manufacturing died in this country???? All they need to do is look at what LP did to hard working employees. LP should be the poster child for greed, and those in power with no set of morals.
Person from Maryland: it is not at all mean. You have NO IDEA how people were treated, and what they and their families went through. I will never, ever forget that experience. It changed me forever.
By the way - I am looking for my Pension Plan. Does anyone know where the Plan Administrator for Lehigh Press Employees is? I have already contacted the DOL EBSA. I am assuming my benefits were stolen. It would fit that those people absconded with it.
I wish I could say the foulest and filthiest things about all of those that did these deeds. But I am sure all of it will come back and haunt them, if it hasn't already. I have no respect for these 'accomplished' ones, and if I ever come across their paths, I would love to take a shit on them.
Tex

Dallas, TX

#11 Feb 10, 2011
Margie wrote:
I worked at LP in Pennsauken, but got the ax with 9 others in 1994. This was the first of the wave of destroying the American worker. After the father died, his boy (and I use that term wisely!) took over. Henchmen were hired. They tried to get people to quit instead of laying off. And to get people to quit, they used really horrible tactics. They didn't want to pay unemployment. I remember sitting in a meeting, and if one opened their mouth to say something, you'd get a stack of papers thrown at you. This managers' name was Mike. A total bastard, and I do pray karma has bit him in the butt. Anyway, none of us quit. I think 11 men in the pressroom sued LP and won their case. The day my group got axed, I watched grown men that had worked in printing for 30-40 years, cry as they were ushered out of the building. The tears were not of sadness, it was utter humiliation. Office employees watched as we were ushered out. They were kind of happy, sad to say. Some get joy in the misery of others. Or maybe it was the lines of coke set up in the restrooms that helped them through. How come everyone wonders why manufacturing died in this country???? All they need to do is look at what LP did to hard working employees. LP should be the poster child for greed, and those in power with no set of morals.
Person from Maryland: it is not at all mean. You have NO IDEA how people were treated, and what they and their families went through. I will never, ever forget that experience. It changed me forever.
By the way - I am looking for my Pension Plan. Does anyone know where the Plan Administrator for Lehigh Press Employees is? I have already contacted the DOL EBSA. I am assuming my benefits were stolen. It would fit that those people absconded with it.
I wish I could say the foulest and filthiest things about all of those that did these deeds. But I am sure all of it will come back and haunt them, if it hasn't already. I have no respect for these 'accomplished' ones, and if I ever come across their paths, I would love to take a shit on them.
Margie,
Any luck finding out about Pension Info?? I worked at a plant in Texas that was shut down years ago and have wondered about my pension. I was always told it was "in the bank" and would be there no matter what happened to the company.
I sent an email to the Lehigh-Phoenix Co. but never got an answer. I have not called their human resource dept but maybe you have??
Margie

United States

#12 Feb 10, 2011
Tex wrote:
<quoted text>
Margie,
Any luck finding out about Pension Info?? I worked at a plant in Texas that was shut down years ago and have wondered about my pension. I was always told it was "in the bank" and would be there no matter what happened to the company.
I sent an email to the Lehigh-Phoenix Co. but never got an answer. I have not called their human resource dept but maybe you have??
Tex - here's where I found it:

Julie Stelman - julie.stelman@jostens.com
Jostens
3601 Minnesota Drive, Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55435
1-800-235-2395

If you should still have a problem, you can contact the Department of Labor in the area you worked for this company, or there is a government website that helps people locate lost pensions. I think it is EPBA,(Employee Pension Benefit Assistance).

Apparently Lehigh Press is very far removed from all of this. Jostens prints yearbooks and makes class rings! Good luck to you.
Tex

Dallas, TX

#13 Mar 24, 2011
Thanks so much, Margie. I spoke to Julie who told me her company had bought out Lehigh and as such--part of what they bought was the pension plan of all past employees. She said there was one Lehigh Plant in Illinois still going. A very nice and helpful lady and I updated her with my address which had changed several times--that is why I had not heard from them.
Just my luck, I worked there 3 months short of 10 years so I have to wait til 65 to get money as opposed to 55.
Hopefully, they will still be around then---9 more years!
Glad you made it out of Pensauken to the hills of New Mexico and I hope things are well with you and yours.
Thanks again.
Charlie

Lombard, IL

#14 Nov 29, 2011
He's still running the plant in Illinois - but pretty much is planning on putting about 300 people out of work. I personally have realized if I don't get out on my own, I will be out anyway. He's a master at shutting down plants - or just an absolute freaking idiot (not sure)?
Wolfeh

Le Center, MN

#15 Nov 30, 2013
It was so sad to see this company shut, but I didn't lose anything. By the way, I banged the Carrie too!

-Former Lehigh Phoenix guy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pennsauken Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cruisin' to the Classics Fundraiser Sep '18 BLanger 1
News Murder suspect turns self in to Camden police (Jul '08) Feb '18 Williams_856 3
News NHL All-Star Game returns to thriving Tampa Bay... (Feb '18) Feb '18 All phartx 2
News Camden family to be featured on 'Extreme Makeov... (Aug '07) Jul '17 Klarisa 115
News Do Not Adopt from Greyhound Angel Adoption (Oct '09) Jun '17 Rcgall1984 20
Illegal immigrants (Mar '17) Mar '17 Richard Kringle 2
Mayor Mayer gives 25 year tax rebate for retail... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Recall Mayor Davi... 1

Pennsauken Jobs

Personal Finance

Pennsauken Mortgages