school bus drivers and drug screening

school bus drivers and drug screening

Posted in the Pennington Gap Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
nance

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Jan 26, 2013
does anyone know what the school boards policy is regarding bus drivers as far as drug screening is concerned?
I had never really thought about it until I saw a girl from dryden that I went to school with driving a lee county school bus.she was heavily into drugs after graduation.I am not listing her name here because I have no desire to trash her or anyone else.I know people can,and sometimes do,change.
I really am curious if they undergo random screening though,because I think her use of drugs was well beyond casual use.
LOL

Knoxville, TN

#2 Jan 26, 2013
IDK but i think they should be... also i believe the bus should be followed to see how they drive.
concerned

Strawberry Plains, TN

#3 Jan 27, 2013
I totally agree! They should have random drug screenings, and be followed! I can't tell you how many times buses have almost ran me off the road because they are going so fast and taking up the whole road!
Green Goat

Jonesville, VA

#4 Jan 27, 2013
Bus drivers have to pass a drug test to get a CDL licence. Drivers are subject to a random test at anytime.
really

United States

#5 Jan 27, 2013
concerned wrote:
I totally agree! they should have random drug screenings, and be followed! I can't tell you how many times buses have almost ran me off the road because they are going so fast and taking up the whole road!
Honestly, you believe that just because a bus driver is going fast...that he/she is on drugs??? Bus drivers are randomly selected to do a screening..but where that goes wrong, is that one person could be "pulled" to be screened 2-3 x a year..where someone else may not be screened for years. And NOW ALL school employees , from Superintendant to janitors....are to be screened!!
concerned

Strawberry Plains, TN

#6 Jan 27, 2013
I never said I believed they were in drugs just because they almost ran me off the roads! Its a safety thing! Flying on back roads is dangerous! If people are going to be around kids, they should be clean and safe!
wait and see

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jan 28, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>Honestly, you believe that just because a bus driver is going fast...that he/she is on drugs??? Bus drivers are randomly selected to do a screening..but where that goes wrong, is that one person could be "pulled" to be screened 2-3 x a year..where someone else may not be screened for years. And NOW ALL school employees , from Superintendant to janitors....are to be screened!!
I seriously doubt that anyone from the school.board office would ever have to report for a drug test. Random or not, no one from there will ever have to "pee in a cup" to keep their job.
Susan

Gatlinburg, TN

#8 Jan 28, 2013
My opinion would be that everyone take a drug test at the first of a school year. I also think random after that but there are ways they can fake the test or beat it which ever you differ. Hair test show it all over a period of time. Drugs and drinking in our schools are far more often than you think. Some of it is our teachers not saying all but there are some and are some good teachers same as drivers and school board employees also. How we take care of that is screening drug test often .
Hilton Express

Jonesborough, TN

#9 Jan 31, 2013
Susan wrote:
My opinion would be that everyone take a drug test at the first of a school year. I also think random after that but there are ways they can fake the test or beat it which ever you differ. Hair test show it all over a period of time. Drugs and drinking in our schools are far more often than you think. Some of it is our teachers not saying all but there are some and are some good teachers same as drivers and school board employees also. How we take care of that is screening drug test often .
How about parents having a drug test before they can have children?
Well

Roanoke, VA

#10 Jan 31, 2013
Amen! I think that they should screen all staff, including teachers, drivers, janitors, etc. Anyone and everyone who may be involved or around our children should have a background check and be drug tested. I know this is off topic but I would also like to see anyone who receives welfare or public assistance be drug tested as well. If I have to pass a drug test to keep my job, which helps pay for the assistance, then those who receive it should have to be screened as well! I think this will cut down on a lot of misuse and fraud in the system.
But back to our children....you just never know these days and we can never be too safe when it comes to our kids. I wouldn't want someone who is on drugs teaching or driving my children.
lol

Jonesville, VA

#11 Jan 31, 2013
Hilton Express wrote:
<quoted text>
How about parents having a drug test before they can have children?
While that's a good idea...it's offtopic:)
wellllll

Charlotte, NC

#12 Jan 31, 2013
What about the employees that drink till early in the morning and then come to school ?
lol

Jonesville, VA

#13 Jan 31, 2013
wellllll wrote:
What about the employees that drink till early in the morning and then come to school ?
What about the ones that drink and do drugs at school?
Trash Talker

Roanoke, VA

#14 Jan 31, 2013
There have been employees of the school system that have done drugs as long as drugs have been around. Same with drinking. Test might catch a few but most know how to get around it. The stupid ones always get caught. Drug testing everyone is cost prohibitive. I agree on random testing of employees and also agree on drug testing for welfare assistance. I refuse to be political correct and call it public assistance
SAL

United States

#15 Feb 1, 2013
Teachers need drug test especially at Flatwoods.
TWH

United States

#16 Feb 2, 2013
From what I can hear most of the teachers who can take anxiety medication are on that. Is this considered a drug?
nervous nellie

Summerville, SC

#17 Feb 2, 2013
TWH wrote:
From what I can hear most of the teachers who can take anxiety medication are on that. Is this considered a drug?
Not if you've got a prescription for it...
Welpo

Natural Bridge, VA

#18 Feb 2, 2013
Shewww, if I was a teacher nowadays (especially in this county) all the anxiety meds in the world wouldn't be enough, lol. Seriously though, the type of antidepressant I use (Wellbutrin) is not something that makes me sleepy or clouds my judgement like nerve meds (valium, for example). I think many people don't realize the huge difference between antidepressants and nerve meds. It takes days for my antidepressants to work. They don't make me act differently, other than being more pleasant and patient when they finally get it my system. My point is, I don't think antidepressants such as Wellbutrin, cymbalta, lexapro, Prozac, etc., should be tested for. They wouldn't cause a teacher or driver to have clouded judgement or act erratically around students the way alcohol and drugs would. They also can't be a abused like nerve meds, alcohol, etc. can. Not trying to argue with anyone. Just my opinion since I am sure tons of school employees in this works, as well as in other professions also, use antidepressants!
Former employee

Norton, VA

#19 Feb 5, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>Honestly, you believe that just because a bus driver is going fast...that he/she is on drugs??? Bus drivers are randomly selected to do a screening..but where that goes wrong, is that one person could be "pulled" to be screened 2-3 x a year..where someone else may not be screened for years. And NOW ALL school employees , from Superintendant to janitors....are to be screened!!
I am a retired employee who went to Richmond and received the training from State Police and VA Dept. of Ed. for the random screening of not only bus drivers, but any one who transports students. I am actually certified to do this. The first few years the law was taken very seriously. Random drawings were done ever 3 months with myself, the Superintendent, transportation supervisor and 3 sometimes 4 other witness present to make sure it was done fairly, correctly and it was all documented. Letters were hand delivered to the drivers when they arrived at the schools with students. Then, it all changed. I don't think it is done fairly, correctly or legally now.
cheryl

Norton, VA

#20 Feb 5, 2013
What's the difference in someone going home after work and getting high, and someone going home after work and getting drunk? As long as they're sober by 8am the next morning and don't affect our kids then it shouldn't matter what they do in the privacy of their own home. There are much bigger issues we could be worrying about, like the budget. And drug tests aren't free. Just more money taken away from our kids. Now if there is suspicion based on someone's actions at work then by all means test them, but don't go wasting the county's money testing every Tom Dick and Harry in our school system just to say you did it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pennington Gap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lawnmower service (Jul '16) 18 hr Weeds 6
Town of pennington Sat Larry 3
Phs reunion in july Sat They 5
the music thread (Mar '12) Mar 22 Musikologist 35
election 2016 Mar 22 Truth 122
If you don't believe in GOD, why do you celebra... (Dec '11) Mar 4 Sad times for ame... 107
Pizza king (Nov '15) Mar 4 DonaldDrumpf 19

Pennington Gap Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pennington Gap Mortgages