Fuel Prices May Cast Cloud Over Lobst...

Fuel Prices May Cast Cloud Over Lobster Boat Racing Season

There are 9 comments on the Ellsworth American story from Mar 26, 2008, titled Fuel Prices May Cast Cloud Over Lobster Boat Racing Season. In it, Ellsworth American reports that:

“With diesel prices what they are, that's a $1,000 weekend. And that doesn't include the lost fishing time.”

The Maine Lobster Boat Racing Association has scheduled nine events for the coming season, but with sky-high fuel prices some fishermen are wondering how strong participation will be. via Ellsworth American

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ellsworth American.

John Drouin

Houlton, ME

#1 Jun 30, 2008
This was the first time in 6 years that I didn't attend the lobster boat races in Boothbay. Coming from Cutler I'll burn 300 gallons of fuel for the round trip At $4.50 a gallon, thats well over $1200. Plus two nights at one of the local inns, and food and everything...that would be over $1500. I love going to the races,and I was a big participant, but I can't do it at those prices. I was really bummed about last weekend. Lets hope things get better for next year, but I'm not holding my breath.
Travis

Keene, NH

#3 Jul 4, 2008
Races! what about the guys trying to make a living! the price for lobster is way down and fuel is way up. The guys working there own boats are suffering now but when the season kicks into high soon they will really be hard up.
Whatever

Bangor, ME

#4 Jul 6, 2008
Screw your lobster boat race.
guess who

Bangor, ME

#5 Aug 10, 2008
How about that 1000 gallons of fuel given @ the winter Harbor races?
jonesport-Alley

Glastonbury, CT

#6 Sep 23, 2008
ok yea so its been a while since i haved seen these races...i live in CT but the ppl who race spend A LOT of $ on the races anyway...and its for fun and the amusement off everyone in town and on Beals. So everyone should just pitch in and help out a racer. that way we cann all watch the Alley's win again!:) but seriously its a good idea
Maine Superman

Bangor, ME

#7 Sep 24, 2008
I agree with screwing your lobster boat race.

Spend more money, and wisely, on two-piece bathing suits for needy and slender teen-age girls with judgment issues.

Also, Jonesport is a dive. I will probably level that town with a Super-Fart after I'm done leveling Gardiner.
Alley

Keene, NH

#8 Dec 25, 2008
Id say some of you guys need to get a life. and hudson is probably the worst place in maine. so id def watch what you say there. if u cant respect the races and the people who take their time to put it all together and the ones who put their own time and money into their own property then keep your butt out of the towns and cities who put the races on. im sure you can sit at home and eat yourself to happiness because you arent smart enough and way to self centered to know anything.
fishermans wife

Damariscotta, ME

#9 May 24, 2009
I would like to let the people know that we race to have a break from all the reality of fishing. There is nothing like being on the water and enjoying our family and friends. The problem comes in when people that are not fisherman rev up their engines and spend tons of money to beat your everyday fisherman that works their but off. So how about we keep it a working lobster boat race and keep everyone entertained including ourselves and for the people that think we are a joke should spend a day on the water when it is snowing and blowing and the price and lobster do not cooperate to pay bills. Thank you to all the people that put these events together and respect a day of fun.-Waldoboro Maine
smh

United States

#10 Aug 12, 2010
I wish you could appreciate what you have. I can only conclude you're a youngster who's not well traveled. Jonesport is a unique place with wonderful people. I'll be returning to Jonesport every summer to spend my money, to enjoy the people and natural surroundings. I hope you get out someday and see what a shithole the rest of the US is, perhaps then you'll appreciate what you have, but then...the grass is always greener...
Maine Superman wrote:
I agree with screwing your lobster boat race.
Spend more money, and wisely, on two-piece bathing suits for needy and slender teen-age girls with judgment issues.
Also, Jonesport is a dive. I will probably level that town with a Super-Fart after I'm done leveling Gardiner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pemaquid Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Other Plymouth Colony, Pemaquid, Maine (Nov '14) Nov '14 Ace McMillan 3
Carfax Discount AAA (Jun '11) Aug '14 Carmi 6
News Damariscotta Church Votes in First Female Pastor (Mar '14) Mar '14 Burned up Volvo 1
News Tower Restoration begins at Wood Island Lightho... (Nov '09) Mar '12 Maurene Kennedy 17
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maine (Dis... (Oct '10) Nov '10 CMan 12
News Midcoast artist in national magazine (Mar '09) Mar '09 Ann 1
News Rocco Bertell Cianchette (Jan '09) Jan '09 Nonnie 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pemaquid Mortgages