Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Judged:

Thursday, July 12, 2007 - Gail Gilmore - Azle-News
Pelican Bay chief, three officers resign positions
The chief of police, one paid officer and two reserve officers resigned from the Pelican Bay police force Tuesday, barely two hours before the city council was to meet and consider the termination of the chief. Eddie Frankum, Jr., was appointed interim police chief in September 2005 after Charles Clark was let go. He will be replaced by Gilbert Towns, a former Pelican Bay reserve officer who has about 25 years of experience in fulltime law enforcement. He was a volunteer investigator for Frankum for about a year before resigning last December, he said.
Resigning along with Frankum were Mike Shelby, a paid officer, and David Hall and George VanPool, who were reserve officers – volunteers.
Remaining with the department are officer Robert Porter, whose employment was approved by council Tuesday night, and Sgt. David Sheffield.
Frankum has supporters on council, including Mayor Tom Reed, and others in the community, who have said he “cleaned up” the small, largely blue-collar town just north of Azle.
However, he has also collected a number of vocal detractors as well. There was a string of violent arrests in the first half of 2006 and numerous complaints of excessive enforcement and harassment by the deartment, although Frankum and Reed maintain that “no formal complaints” were filed with the city or the department. Last September, the city implemented an impound lot by fencing in an area behind City Hall that was formerly used by the city’s animal control department. Council approved a budget that included a large raise for Frankum, from about $26,000 to just under $60,000, and approved the impound lot so that the city would receive revenues from storage fees for cars taken from drivers without liability insurance.
The cars were being impounded and stored at lots owned by the city’s towing contractors at the time. Approving the budget and impound proposal unanimously, council members stated that the chief’s raise depended upon adequate revenues from impound fees. At the June council meeting, Frankum’s report indicated that the impound lot, in terms of earning the increased salary, was a success. He said he expected total revenues by the end of the fiscal year to be about $60,000.
“I resigned under duress,” he said Wednesday during a brief telephone interview.“I’ve never broken any city policies, I was never accused of wrongdoing. I received a perfect employment evaluation just three weeks ago.” Frankum said he and the other officers are planning a “class action suit” against the city and against an individual council member, Mayor Pro Tem Renee McWhorter, he said.
Latest News

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Judged:

Mayor plans to resign Reed, who has missed some council meetings during his 13 month tenure, told the Azle News he plans to resign early next week. His absences have been related to his work as a boilermaker on out-of-area construction projects, he said.
Reed has locked horns with McWhorter, and two council members who were elected in May, about Frankum, with the three requesting executive sessions to discuss Frankum during council meetings and Reed apparently not allowing the items to be placed on the agenda. Council approved an ordinance Tuesday that specifies who can place items on meeting agendas and call special meetings. The ordinance was approved unanimously.
McWhorter was a vocal supporter of Frankum herself, until shortly after the impound lot went into operation last fall. Council also met in executive session Tuesday night to discuss employment of Robert Porter and David Sheffield.
After returning to open session, council took no action on Sheffield and voted unanimously to affirm the employment of Porter. Reed and council member place 1 Stasie Hubbert were absent from the meeting Tuesday. McWhorter voted against accepting Frankum’s resignation after asking for a motion to terminate his employment. Council member Sandy Tolbert made the motion to accept the resignation.
Barb

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Judged:

In the last 13 months that Mayor Tom Reed has been in office, he has missed the following dates:

Nov 14, 2006 Regular Meeting
Jan 20, 2007 Special Meeting
Jan 29, 2007 Special Meeting
Feb 20, 2007 Regular Meeting
Apr 10, 2007 Regular Meeting
May 17, 2007 Special Meeting
Jun 27, 2007 Budget Workshop
Jul 11, 2007 Regular Meeting

In the July 10th meeting, it was asked by a citizen why Mayor Reed had missed so many days. The answer was "I don't know" you need to ask him. It was also mentioned that Reed was seen earlier in the day on July 11th so where was he? Alderman Sandy Tolbert said "he's getting a haircut".

The best thing is for this Lame Duck mayor to do is to resign. He has not done a thing for this community except try to dissolve the Pelican Bay Vol. Fire/Rescue and bring in his brother, Larry Reed who is the Fire Department Chief in Briar. He wanted Briar to provide services for Pelican Bay. The City Council majority said "NO" and as a Citizen of the 'Bay, I say NO. We don't need Briar and we don't need the Reed's with their own agenda.
Barb

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Correction for above. July 10th meeting, should read: July 11th, meeting
Barb

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

The mayor also resigned on July 16th, 2007
Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

Judged:

Well it seems that any law suits against Pelican bay or council member McWhorter will have to wait until after Frankum faces felony charges filed against him by the Grand Jury of Tarrant County.
I just can't understand why people seem to believe that McWhorter has done so much wrong?? From my findings she has been a victim of Frankum, corrupt mayors & other council members, and has only put her best effects into IMPROVING the city and making the city abide by the laws of Texas...How does that make a person wrong???
In my opinion, she would be better off by moving away from all the crap that has been throwed at her and let the city fall by the waste side. Then who will protect the city from corrupt employees and elected officials??? Guess the next elected bozo's will? Then God have mercy on that town!!!
WHATEVER

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2008

Judged:

McWhorter has done everything she can to help the community, but I was around when she first started and yes Ms. McWhorter was once fulled by Frankum and unknowingly heart the families of some officer's who worked there. Frankum is a sales man. his MO is to keep everyones attention on other people with his lies and the media. While he conducts his illegal searches and arrest hurting people for his own personal gain.
Until just recently the DA's office turned there backs on the complaints about Frankum it took two years of harrassing the DA, FBI, and the Tx Rangers for them to help. Now Frankum will go to jail for what he has done wrong, but those people who he has wrongly done will still have to suffer because they will never see a penny of compinsation. He filed bankruptcy and the city claims immunity for his curruptness.
To me jailtime is not enough
Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2008

Judged:

FINALLY, someone speaks correct about Mrs McWhorter..and it is a shame that she is still having to fight the slander and lies about herself, and on her position of city business.
I also hear that councilmember #5, Calvin Hunter has tried and IS trying to have her removed from the council. He has already tried to have her removed as the mayor pro-tem and that failed. I would like to know what bogus charges he has against her?? People should read your Texas laws on such grounds and the procedures required to remove someone. Wonder if Hunter has enough money to fight these bogus charges??
But here's some more interesting info, again about Calvin Hunter (seat 5). He was making plans to remove the police and fire chiefs...what is with this guy?? How can HE think that HE alone can get these two officers fired or make them quit. It takes a majority vote by the council. It appears to me that Mr Hunter wants to run Pelican Bay..the citizens better watch this man...he sounds like REAL trouble for the city...and old saying: "want to judge a man's character, give him power"....
PBPD

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

Judged:

She is the problem.
Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2008

Judged:

NOW look, someone is using the PBPD as a reference to the Pelican Bay PD which is not the case here...guess Frankum or someone he knows can't figure out what name they want to use...
Would someone please give me proof to any violations that McWhorter has done, been charged with, or arrested for???
All I hear or read about is what people assume she has done. I can't find any documents that proves she is guilty of anything except for being FOOLED into believing in Frankum, for a SHORT while awayway..then she saw the truth and came after him with both barrels...he just can't stand the fact that a WOMAN may be the reason for his down fall..I think its great that a woman hater would be brought down by the thing he hates the most...burn sucker burn...
nicolette

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

if someone can provide me with this information it would be very helpful. My question is: What days are Pelican Bays Police Officers actually on duty?
I ask this question only because i need a police officers assistance in getting my belongings off someone elses property. This person is very uncivilized.
I did leave a message for the city hall but feel i cant wait a whole weekend to get my things. These people will give my stuff to their dope dealer.
Thank you to whoever can provide me with this info.
PD hours

Crestview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Your best bet is to drive to the PBPD building at city hall and hope you can catch them there. If not keep calling city hall. The PD officer may not be able to assist you unless you have a order signed by judge/magistrate, otherwise this may be seen as a "civil" matter and there is not a whole lot they can do.
If your name on the lease may help. But Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pelican Bay Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pelican Bay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••