Review: Steve-N-James Tavern

Review: Steve-N-James Tavern

Posted in the Pelham Forum

Marci Cuneo

Salem, NH

#1 Mar 26, 2010
Very nice at first. Ordered a drink and the waitress made a mistake and gave me the wrong drink. This was ok, everybody makes mistakes. When I told her that it was not the last drink I ordered she argued with me and then continued to the bar to get the drink I asked for. At this point the waitress and the bar tender both shared a laugh (I'm sure at my expense). They acted like I wasn't sitting right there and could see them laughing. After mentioning that I didn't receive the right drink the actual drink I ordered was much weaker than the previous one. Don't go here unless you want to be treated like you've done something wrong when the waitress messes up and then get stiffed on your drinks for the rest of the night.
celtic

Manchester, NH

#2 Jun 15, 2010
We come here regular basis and must say I couldn't disagree more. The food is very good and reasonably priced and the staff is personable and accomodating.
jonny JR

Plaistow, NH

#3 Aug 5, 2010
foods awesome-col place to hang out or enjoy a great meal. the steak tips are my favorite
dave Windham NH

Hudson, NH

#4 Oct 29, 2010
Was at Steve n James last month and probably recieved the WORST service i've ever had .My wife and i sat down in the upstairs bar and were attacked by this ZOMBIE lookn waitress who looked like she was under the infuence of somthing !After ordering a couple of drinks, Bud bottle and Captian n Coke.The salt n pepper haired late 50's wasted lookn woman returned with my Miller Lite and my wifes Jack n Coke.I brought it to her attention that these were not the drinks we orderd, and her mumble of a reply was "Yes they are" and walked away.We asked one of the other waitresses if she could exchange our drinks 4 the correct ones and she replied , "let me guess SUE"! Witch we were told was the owner Jimmys wife. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE !
Allen from Methuen I

Derry, NH

#5 Nov 3, 2010
dave Windham NH wrote:
Was at Steve n James last month and probably recieved the WORST service i've ever had .My wife and i sat down in the upstairs bar and were attacked by this ZOMBIE lookn waitress who looked like she was under the infuence of somthing !After ordering a couple of drinks, Bud bottle and Captian n Coke.The salt n pepper haired late 50's wasted lookn woman returned with my Miller Lite and my wifes Jack n Coke.I brought it to her attention that these were not the drinks we orderd, and her mumble of a reply was "Yes they are" and walked away.We asked one of the other waitresses if she could exchange our drinks 4 the correct ones and she replied , "let me guess SUE"! Witch we were told was the owner Jimmys wife. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE !
I have been going to Steve N James Tavern for the last 6 months.
I have always had good service and the owner Jimmy always makes a point to say hi. I remember this situation because I was there. The couple was in fact wrong and abusive towards the waitress. Cant believe they were not asked to leave. I mentioned to my wife it was them who looked like they were on something. Its ironic how some one with a ax to grind will look to point a finger at anything except themselves. Check out Steve n James its a great casual place to go. Believe me, we keep going back.
Sara

Boston, MA

#6 Mar 17, 2011
My husband and I love coming here!! The food is to die for, my favorite specialty soup is the Buffalo Chicken soup, it should win an award. One of the best bands to play here is 3 Play, we always try to come when they are playing, excellent musicians. The staff is awesome and the owner and his family always make it a point to remember you and come and say Hi. A really great casual night out that is a lot of fun, don't miss out!
Scott from Derry

Salem, NH

#7 Oct 1, 2011
I always have a good time there. The chicken wings ruled and the steak and cheese wrap was awesome. We sit at the bar and the bartender was righton, when our beer was close to empty there was a new one in front of us. Never had a bad time at Steven n James, actually gonna go there tonight and eat,drink and crank some tunes on their jukebox. Hope to see you there.
smh

New York, NY

#8 Jan 13, 2012
Ive never gone anywhere that was as bad as this place. The waitress forgot our drinks and over priced us for the food we ordered. Even when we talked to the manager, he was arguing with us and told us not to come back because we pointed him out on his mistake. The food was nasty and they served us drinks on a red plastic cup instead of regular glasses. The waitress was extremely rude! Theres so many bad reviews about this place and I was giving them a chance to prove me wrong but this place is way beyond garbage!
Travis

Howell, MI

#9 Jul 11, 2012
Just finished eating here. Waitress was prompt and got our orders correct. That is were the positives stop for this place. Dining room was closed so we were forced to go up into the bar area. Music staffed off at a reasonable level and proceeded to get louder and louder as we waited for our food. Now it could be that the music stayed the same and the other patrons just got louder as they became more intoxicated. After about twenty five minutes our food arrived. It was over cooked in all aspects, both the meat and the bread. I choked down what I could and made a hasty retreat after paying the bill. Over all, if you are looking for a clean place to get hammered then this is your spot. Anything else I would suggest going some place else.
Jim H

Chester, NH

#10 Jul 21, 2012
I took some friends to Steve and James Tavern the other night, and just like a previous poster wrote, we got the zombie server. Apparently she is the wife of the owner and under the influence most of the time. Not a pleasant experience. The place is of low-rent types who chain-smoke and as is was the other night, with no breeze I choked though my meal, as bad as it was.
Yea, I'll admit the average server is efficient, but they all have this Lawrence-Methuen attitude, IE. low class towards their customers. They did not do me a favor when I patronize THEM! I did them a favor to patronize them. Get it straight Jim, or you are out of business.
Between the attitudes and the physicality of the servers (all short and fat) it lends a displeasing taste in the minds of people who are not, consequently fat chicks show up and lesbians too. Not too good for a bar and eatery who just might want to succeed.
been there

Bradford, VT

#11 Mar 20, 2013
This place is gross dont eat there unless you wanna get sick they dont store food properly theres mice in the kitchen which isn't cleaned . All the food is from market basket because there cheap save yourself the owners just an alcoholic
StevenJAmesTaver n

Pelham, NH

#12 Apr 22, 2013
been there wrote:
This place is gross dont eat there unless you wanna get sick they dont store food properly theres mice in the kitchen which isn't cleaned . All the food is from market basket because there cheap save yourself the owners just an alcoholic
Seriously, To make such remarks hiding behind a keyboard is not only classless but tipical of todays people who will go to anty extent to slander and lie but not address the situation as it happens. Yes parisian bread is purchased fresh every day at MB because it is excellent. Good luck to you and hope you are able to mature as you grow.
StevenJAmesTaver n

Pelham, NH

#13 Apr 22, 2013
Jim H wrote:
I took some friends to Steve and James Tavern the other night, and just like a previous poster wrote, we got the zombie server. Apparently she is the wife of the owner and under the influence most of the time. Not a pleasant experience. The place is of low-rent types who chain-smoke and as is was the other night, with no breeze I choked though my meal, as bad as it was.
Yea, I'll admit the average server is efficient, but they all have this Lawrence-Methuen attitude, IE. low class towards their customers. They did not do me a favor when I patronize THEM! I did them a favor to patronize them. Get it straight Jim, or you are out of business.
Between the attitudes and the physicality of the servers (all short and fat) it lends a displeasing taste in the minds of people who are not, consequently fat chicks show up and lesbians too. Not too good for a bar and eatery who just might want to succeed.
Well as you see I have had some of these employees from day one. Sorry the dont meet the appearance your looking for. I do know the are hard working, honest and dependable. While we do work as hard as we can to have a safe and enjoyable place for patrons, We can only address situations as they present themselves. Unfortunately can not address some one who fires comment from a key board. Knowing the overall position were in and how hard this business is, guess we will just keep trying to be the best we can going forward. Thanks for your comment even though believe it was horrible to degrade some for there appearance or where they were rasied. Guess you got it all. Good luck in the future. Karma is a bitch
Allen from Methuen I

Derry, NH

#14 Apr 24, 2013
StevenJAmesTavern wrote:
<quoted text> Seriously, To make such remarks hiding behind a keyboard is not only classless but tipical of todays people who will go to anty extent to slander and lie but not address the situation as it happens. Yes parisian bread is purchased fresh every day at MB because it is excellent. Good luck to you and hope you are able to mature as you grow.
Can only hope this gets to the gutless person who types such horrific comments while hiding behind a keyboard. For your statement concerning the storage and handling of food, check out health inspection reports at town hall. They are public info and always score in the 90 percentile. have never had 1 episode of food issue. I'm starting to believe you are part of the same group who are lying and fabricating distortion from the facts. Anyone with such comments should certianly come forward as the situation presents it self.As I have several meetings with employees and not one has had this situation told to them. i will take the high road as i always try while you just keep slandering this establishment with the hopes that you expose yourself someday and have some dignity going forward.
Di from Derry

Wallingford, CT

#15 Aug 27, 2013
I've been going here for a couple of years and the atmosphere is good but the service totally sux. On Sunday's all the bikers go there and it's a good time, great location but if you see the owners wife watching the band continuously and there's a large amount of people, something's seriously wrong with that. They won't hire any good/sexy waitresses, cause I know quite a few that have attempted numerous times to apply there and they don't get the job. Then the next year it sux again. I wish they knew how much MONEY they were losing!!!! I hope they sell the place to someone who can run it properly!!!! It's a gold mine. It's also hit or miss with the food, sometimes fantastic sometimes horrible. They do forget or give incorrect orders many times to!!!I've had it happen a few times or they forgot to put in the order for something and you wait more than a half hour. Cool Place, Terrible service!!!!
Travis wrote:
Just finished eating here. Waitress was prompt and got our orders correct. That is were the positives stop for this place. Dining room was closed so we were forced to go up into the bar area. Music staffed off at a reasonable level and proceeded to get louder and louder as we waited for our food. Now it could be that the music stayed the same and the other patrons just got louder as they became more intoxicated. After about twenty five minutes our food arrived. It was over cooked in all aspects, both the meat and the bread. I choked down what I could and made a hasty retreat after paying the bill. Over all, if you are looking for a clean place to get hammered then this is your spot. Anything else I would suggest going some place else.
Anonymous

Pelham, NH

#16 Aug 30, 2013
In there occasionally.. Cannot believe how much cell phone use is going on when people should be getting served. They should be worrying about their customers and not their personal life while at work.
Bobby D

Merrimack, NH

#17 Feb 20, 2014
Are they closed? Saw the sign and it said closed. Why?
whererunow

Bedford, NH

#18 Mar 20, 2014
I love the irony of this place being closed. Just look at the comments from the supposed owner. As a business owner I would never talk to my customers the way this owner did. Customer is King.
But I am talking to an empty chair now.
Derry from Methuen

Hampstead, NH

#19 Apr 13, 2014
The place was good for hard drinks, hard drugs, hard people. Loved it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pelham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Selectmen soliciting yes votes outside town hall Jun 24 Martha steward 1
Review: AJP Painting Company Jun 13 Denyse Rotta 1
Raw sewage Jun 6 Kathy277 1
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Derry Jun 2 VictorOrians 1
Poll Why does NH Suck? (May '09) May '17 Truth teller 164
News NH agencies warn of summer paving scams (Aug '09) Dec '16 whyte boyyyyyyyyy 97
News Woman Sues Over Having To Buy 2 Plane Seats (Feb '06) Oct '16 a fat arse 315

Pelham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pelham Mortgages