Massey Energy told employees that if ...

Massey Energy told employees that if they miss work to attend the funerals,

Posted in the Pecks-Mill Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
coal miners wife two

Verner, WV

#1 Apr 15, 2010
Massey Energy told employees that if they miss work to attend the funerals they would be fired, workers said. A Massey worker, who did not give his name because he is afraid of losing his job, said that his coworkers were outraged that they were not given time off to mourn their friends and brothers.
The WSWS spoke to workers and relatives outside a local market. Chuck Smith, an unemployed miner with seven years work underground, said Massey’s decision to force miners to work during the funerals was a calculated move.“What would it look like if a bunch of people wearing Massey uniforms showed up to the funeral yelling ‘damn Massey?’”
Smith said another factor was Massey’s profits.“Is a lump of coal that valuable to you that you can’t even give the miners a day off to mourn their friends?”
THIS IS SO SAD!
Mr Grow Some Balls

Prestonsburg, KY

#2 Apr 15, 2010
What every miner should have done that day is walk out.... and said @#$#@%#@ you Don Blankenship.
He really doesn't care about his workers....neither does the company..neither does Corporate America.
Concerned

Charleston, WV

#3 Apr 15, 2010
This is a fine example of why Massy and "The Don" should be sued for a 500 MILLION DOLLARS. The safety records show a history of major problems with the exhaust sytems in that mine. Was it every repaired or was it just patched to save time and money? We what are the lives of 29 men worth?
How many full coal cars does it take to make 500 Million dollars?

The UMW is looking for new members!
miners wife

United States

#4 Apr 15, 2010
i dont believe that
miners wife

United States

#5 Apr 15, 2010
cant believe that
coal miners wife two

Verner, WV

#6 Apr 15, 2010
Cabin Fever

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Apr 15, 2010
Im sorry but you Massey guys need to get some balls!!!!
miners wife

United States

#8 Apr 15, 2010
u all act like massey is the only mines that get's fined
Mr Cant You People See

Prestonsburg, KY

#9 Apr 15, 2010
Can you WV people not see how Massey is evil incarnate??
It's why I won't work for them in the mines. It's why every miner for them should go on strike and new miners should not go in.
What has America come to....we are the only nation doing things like this other than China...and we bitch at them over civil rights??? Look at what we are doing to workers!!!
If I were a Massey miner I'd have THROWN my hard hat at whoever got in my way to go to my brethren's funeral. FUCK YOU MASSEY
And I'm not even a coal miner...
Wendy

United States

#10 Apr 15, 2010
Has Don Blankenship ever been inside the mines? Does he know what a coal miner goes through every day to support his family while he sits in his big safe office?
Cabin Fever

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Apr 15, 2010
miners wife wrote:
u all act like massey is the only mines that get's fined
Don Blankenship is not a miner!!, You are his wife right?
miners wife

United States

#12 Apr 15, 2010
i/m sure people went to the furneals..as a matter of fact i know they did..i feel sorry for those miner's and their family's..they are in my prayer's and no i'm not don's wife..just wish i had his money
Cabin Fever

Barbourville, KY

#13 Apr 15, 2010
miners wife wrote:
i/m sure people went to the furneals..as a matter of fact i know they did..i feel sorry for those miner's and their family's..they are in my prayer's and no i'm not don's wife..just wish i had his money
Would you do what he has done and has to live with to get it???
miners wife

United States

#14 Apr 15, 2010
nope
Coal Miner

United States

#15 Apr 15, 2010
I don't think any of it is going to last too much longer anyway I think this put a big damper on it all. And it just gave Obama and Rahall more bait to feed on. West Virginia will be a ghost town they will see.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#16 Apr 15, 2010
All the hate for big corporations and such. Hey guys, do you know who let the corporations get this way? I'll give you a hint. He's retarded, and has the sir name like a shrub.

Yes that's right, the republicans you people so love did this to you. Have fun being a red state knowing that the rich likes to kick your ass.
WV Coal Miners Wife

United States

#17 Apr 15, 2010
Don Blankenship has money, not a conscience nor heart or integrety. Those men where sent home on April 2, 2010 for ventilation problems. In my opinion that was long enough to let the guys think it was ok to go back to work. There is no amount of money that can take away the hurt these families are going to suffer. And you are right when you said Don Blankenship give Obama what he wanted, and now he is going to kill WV's lively hood and coal is our number 1 export. WV was number 1 in coal export in 2009 and plastics was a far behind 2nd. For the miners who could not take off work that was b/s for Don to do that but also can understan why they didn't go. They where also told if they spoke to the media they would also be fired. They have families to feed and should not be put in that situation. Where my husband works they would not react this way. I'm glad that my miner isn't a Massey Man!
mark

United States

#18 Apr 15, 2010
Go Oboma!!!!! Shut those stuid mines down! GOD HATES WV AND MINERS! SO there, stick that in your polluted, toxic,gas chambers. Sniff Sniff Sniff. BAA BOOM!!!
wife

Prestonsburg, KY

#19 Apr 16, 2010
WV Coal Miners Wife wrote:
Don Blankenship has money, not a conscience nor heart or integrety. Those men where sent home on April 2, 2010 for ventilation problems. In my opinion that was long enough to let the guys think it was ok to go back to work. There is no amount of money that can take away the hurt these families are going to suffer. And you are right when you said Don Blankenship give Obama what he wanted, and now he is going to kill WV's lively hood and coal is our number 1 export. WV was number 1 in coal export in 2009 and plastics was a far behind 2nd. For the miners who could not take off work that was b/s for Don to do that but also can understan why they didn't go. They where also told if they spoke to the media they would also be fired. They have families to feed and should not be put in that situation. Where my husband works they would not react this way. I'm glad that my miner isn't a Massey Man!
I heard that MSHA was in the mine the same day that it exploded. MSHA has to check it out before the guys are allowed back in. If they were there, then did they find a problem? If you take a look at the mines in the paper who have multiple violations, there were a list of 48, not many were Massey mines. Massey is just under close scrutiny because of the explosion. I'm not saying they were not at fault for the explosion, I don't know what happened. We'll all just have to see. As far as the funerals, my husband was told no such thing. He was able to go if he wanted.
WV Coal Miners Wife

United States

#20 Apr 16, 2010
Massey has 6 out of the 48 mines which is uncalled for. On the day of the explosion they got 2 sitations, but they have a certain amount of time to fix or fight the sitation. As for the methane it is odderless and colorless. I nhave met Don Blankenship years ago and as a regular person he is ok but as for business he would step over Jesus Christ for a quarter if it would make his bank acount bigger. If a regular ole Joe killed 29 people in car accident he would go to prison for invulentary manslaughter so should who ever is responsible for this accident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pecks-Mill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 Letter WORD Game (Feb '10) 1 hr Judgment Day Watc... 4,006
One Word Game (Feb '10) 1 hr Judgment Day Watc... 12,487
Last Post Wins (Dec '09) Thu Princess Hey 18,411
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Jun 21 n 1,336
DROP A Word AND ADD a word (Jan '10) Jun 21 Mark mark 13,333
drop a word/add a word (Jan '10) Jun 16 Princess Hey 14,689
Song Title Game! (Jan '10) May '16 texas pete 10,271
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pecks-Mill Mortgages