How should we fix the old bumpy Coope...

How should we fix the old bumpy Cooper square.

Created by Concerned Resident on Nov 4, 2007

378 votes

Click on an option to vote

Asphalt over it

Brown Concrete

Fix the Brick

Do nothing

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
New Tide

Humble, TX

#21 Sep 20, 2008
karg wrote:
i agree with TPN... there are many streets in cooper that need to be fixed. atleast the square looks good and some like it. the rest of the streets are ugly with pot holes and have no historical value what so ever.
Perfectly stated! Thanks for your remarks.
New Tide

Humble, TX

#22 Sep 20, 2008
Oldtimer wrote:
How can you enforce dilapidated housing ordinances IF you also own some of the dilapidated houses?
Bottom line, we don't have the money to clean up the abandoned houses. Do you have any idea how much it cost? Just don't complain, get out and try to make a difference. Have you ever thought that while mowing your yard, you could take a few sweeps around one of these bldgs? Or how about picking up trash? Why not? Be part of a community with pride. make a difference.
Oldtimer

Bryan, TX

#23 Sep 22, 2008
Look at the city council. Now there is a sack full.

We did better when the dummy Vandiver was on there.
New Tide

Kemp, TX

#24 Sep 22, 2008
Oldtimer wrote:
Look at the city council. Now there is a sack full.
We did better when the dummy Vandiver was on there.
Well, we always think it can't get any worse, and invariably it does. I think there are enough of us who want to see Cooper move forward. We can keep the charm and friendly atmosphere, but we need to take the initiative. We need to to have respect and a seance of community and pride - not just for who we are, but for where we live. We need to look among us and encourage those we believe will do a good job of making Cooper the best it can be.
Oldtimer

Bryan, TX

#25 Sep 22, 2008
I don't care how many "civilians" get involved in a city effort, it ALWAYS TAKES THE CITY ADMINISTRATION putting it's efforts in to make it work.

The appearance of a town can ALWAYS be linked to the ambition of a city government.
New Tide

Kemp, TX

#26 Sep 22, 2008
Oldtimer wrote:
I don't care how many "civilians" get involved in a city effort, it ALWAYS TAKES THE CITY ADMINISTRATION putting it's efforts in to make it work.
The appearance of a town can ALWAYS be linked to the ambition of a city government.
You are correct, but complaints have to be followed up with action. We can be looking for individuals who we believe can move us forward. Back these people, support them. Here's one, get out there and do your part to make a difference. We have no one to blame but our selves if our local gov't isn't what we want. It's called elections.
Oldtimer

Bryan, TX

#27 Sep 23, 2008
What do you do to make a difference?

Is giving advise your contribution, or do you get out and actually get your hands dirty?
New Tide

Frankston, TX

#28 Sep 23, 2008
Oldtimer wrote:
What do you do to make a difference?
Is giving advise your contribution, or do you get out and actually get your hands dirty?
Without giving too much away, yes, I do contribute. I am actively involved and as I've said on Shootist's forum, I help some of the older citizens by picking up the trash that collects in their yards, I mow lawns - my dime. I offer my assistance whenever I see or hear of a need. I need to do more and after these elections, after I see who gets the jobs, I may get more involved in our city/county gov't. What say you my friend - what do you do, or what would you like to do? Anything? Or are you so discouraged, that all you feel you can do is gripe in forums?
Oldtimer

Bryan, TX

#29 Sep 23, 2008
I do some things, also, and I applaud you for your efforts.

We could all do more, I suppose, but wouldn't it be nice to see the city and county give a damn?
New Tide

Porter, TX

#30 Sep 24, 2008
Oldtimer wrote:
I do some things, also, and I applaud you for your efforts.
We could all do more, I suppose, but wouldn't it be nice to see the city and county give a damn?
Yep!
Maxie

Lone Oak, TX

#31 Dec 2, 2008
I say pave over the bricks. One of the ladies that was so bent on 'saving the bricks' doesn't even live in the city limits. She could stay in the country for a week and not have to put up with the bumps. She needs to try going from point A to point B carrying food for a pot luck or funeral lunch and cross the square!!!! By the time you get to point B you have a mess!!!Why not at least pave where it is traveled the most and "save the bricks" up by the pagoda????

Since: Oct 08

College Station, TX

#32 Dec 2, 2008
I say at least pave the main part that is traveled.(The one going through town passing Miller's and Jalepeno's.) It's such a pain have to be jostled while driving over those bricks. They could pave that part very nicely and it would not hurt the looks of the sqaure..which could use some work...but that's another story!
politicaly incorrect

Palestine, TX

#33 May 10, 2009
New Tide wrote:
To all you ney sayers - the bricked square is one of the things that drew me to Cooper. Some of you look at "old things" and say tear it down. Some of us look at old things and say what a treasure - let's find a way to ronovate. I can think of many other things we need to be concerned about. Such as bldgs falling apart from neglect - unkept areas and I guess, the whole definition of "apathy".
I say pave over it if you want the old bricks theywill sell you some
Give em hell Harry

Tennessee Colony, TX

#34 May 10, 2009
I like the old bumpy bricks. Think about it. Getting josled about just like grandpa did when he drove over them in his modlel A.

I also like the run down appearance of the town. Some people pay big bucks to go to old ghost towns, and we get to live in one for free.

At least the Mexicans won't stop here. They will think they are back at home, and keep going.
Reality

Taipei, Taiwan

#35 May 10, 2009
Give em hell Harry wrote:
At least the Mexicans won't stop here. They will think they are back at home, and keep going.
LMAO Good point!
politicaly incorrect

Palestine, TX

#36 May 10, 2009
if the people that are trying to save the bricks on the square would put the same effort in putting the pressure on cityhall to fixing the streets ,sewer, and water qaulity alot of other problems would go away

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pecan Gap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
they can give it, but can't take it May 12 OMFG_RUSerious 11
Fannindel Falcons (ON STEROIDS!!) May 12 WTFEver 5
John Ross Shipman (Aug '12) May 7 Whoevencares 7
What would you do if your crying friend needed ... May 5 Read worth your time 9
Another Dog as died in the hands of the Shelter May 5 Say it is not so 10
Business on the square in Honey Grove.... May 5 Money Back 9
Ladonia police brutality (Aug '13) May 5 Mental and Stupid 87

Pecan Gap Jobs

Personal Finance

Pecan Gap Mortgages