Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins an...

Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term

There are 23517 comments on the El Paso Times story from Nov 2, 2010, titled Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Republican Gov. Rick Perry has defeated Democrat Bill White to win a third four-year term as Texas governor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#23576 Jul 11, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot.
There is no gray.
Back at ya, liberal lillie. We were discussing your claims to there being so many jobs created by odumbo. I broke it down for you - those jobs are created to process illegal aliens, to defend them legally, extra guards to control them for profit in prisons, to staff the obamacare extortion ring, to create jobs for medical personnel, insurance agents, pharmacies, and all the many wonderful jobs made possible by the illegal alien catastrophy he created.

The gray is gone. He did not create jobs for anyone, who doesn't back his destructive agenda.

Location hidden

#23577 Jul 11, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
~stomp stomp stomp~
All executive orders are constitutionalism... except when Republicans give them........
Shug: if this EO was unconstitutional, why hasn't it been challenged in court two years later?
That's startling discrimination against Republicans. EO's are constitutional, unless signed by a Republican? What idiot told you that and, do you really believe what you say?

Obama has been challenged frequently but, he has that black pass. You helped him to get that pass.

Location hidden

#23578 Jul 12, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, I hear of business pulling up stakes and moving to Texas all the time.
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
Wipe your chin, dear.
Actually, they DO! I am a Texan and I have met many Californian transplants here. They couldn't be happier to be in Texas, where life is actually affordable and not so many nuts on the streets. The ones who abandoned you and your state, are turning out to be pretty good Texans, too. You aren't welcome here so, don't try.
fubar

Corona, CA

#23580 Jul 12, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>whatever, but the point is California is an economical disaster compared to Texas and California is doing anything it can to raise revenue for the state of California including legalizing pot just like Colorado and Washington State.
Pot has not be legalized in Ca.. If you are found with less than an ounce (maybe more) it is an automatic $100 fine. We have decided it is a waste of tax dollars, cops time and the courts time to arrest people for such a minor offense. California does have extreme prison overcrowding which "Arnold"made much worse. Taxing pot in the future, is an excellent idea ,much like taxing its legal equivalent, liquor. The harm caused strictly by substance use alcohol vs.weed is not even close, liquor is much more damaging in deaths to innocent bystanders and the health of the user. A doctor prescribed medical for me years ago and it helped(I didn't smoke it) but when my kid came to stay with me I stopped. Why are you guys wanting to slam California for? We are all part of the same country, U.S.A..

To whoever said the Isreali/Palestinian clashes haven't been covered by the news hasn't been watching much news.There are small radical subsets of each group interested in keeping the clashes going. Dig a little deeper and you will see.
fubar

Corona, CA

#23581 Jul 12, 2014
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah shucks....hate to burst your bubble but Texas is #1 in GDP and California is now #2. On the water shortage issue it's been widely reported California pot growers are soaking up all the water but don't worry other states are having the same problem.
Even Hollywood rarely shoots a feature film in California anymore why don't you google and read some comments from Kevin Costner, Clint Eastwood...probably several other directors.
Texas has attracted business from every state in the nation but especially high taxed regulation laden liberal states like California and New York.
Thanks btw.
Hollywood shoots in other states because they can lowball the people who work on the movies but don't star in them. Other states are also offering massive incentives to bring filming to them. It makes economic sense to pay the workers much less and keep the stars, directors and producers with all the money, and yet they always claim they didn't make a profit. California has The 6th largest economy in the WORLD with the USA being one of the five in front of them.
fubar

Corona, CA

#23582 Jul 12, 2014
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah shucks....hate to burst your bubble but Texas is #1 in GDP and California is now #2. On the water shortage issue it's been widely reported California pot growers are soaking up all the water but don't worry other states are having the same problem.
Even Hollywood rarely shoots a feature film in California anymore why don't you google and read some comments from Kevin Costner, Clint Eastwood...probably several other directors.
Texas has attracted business from every state in the nation but especially high taxed regulation laden liberal states like California and New York.
Thanks btw.
The weed vs. water issue in California is non-existent, in the scheme of things. You are getting your info from a source that is not credible and is obviously pushing a political agenda. In other words ,you fell for their B.S. hook line and sinker. The only major issue the state has with the pot growers that is causing major ecological problems is their use of banned pesticides which are affecting the top predators in the state. They are poisoning mountain lions, martens and predatory birds and scavengers. Sorry to burst your potentially manufactured crisis.
fubar

Corona, CA

#23583 Jul 12, 2014
Obama did try and get some work projects for our nation's infrastructure but was blocked by the party of "NO". The party of "NO"would rather see the country's infrastructure collapse than do what is right. Their campaign slogans should all be," we would rather destroy America, than do anything at all".By the way I have problems with some of what Obama has done too.

“2nd Time Trying Topix Account”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#23584 Jul 12, 2014
fubar wrote:
<quoted text>Hollywood shoots in other states because they can lowball the people who work on the movies but don't star in them. Other states are also offering massive incentives to bring filming to them. It makes economic sense to pay the workers much less and keep the stars, directors and producers with all the money, and yet they always claim they didn't make a profit. California has The 6th largest economy in the WORLD with the USA being one of the five in front of them.
To look for ways to lower costs without sacrificing quality is a healthy approach, although sometimes the quality is drastically reduced in the process, which is an unhealthy side effect. Don't you look at sales ads and other pricing tools to get the best price? A good example of this would be the number of sites and apps that aggregate gas price data and then post the results. Are the web developers wrong for providing the tool and all those who use it are somehow idiots?

Of course municipalities are going to offer these companies incentives to temporarily set up shop in their community. It's far more of a smart investment into the coffers of a local community and can result in a variety of jump-start activities, such as the demolition of an abandoned building no one else could/would afford to tear down as well as perpetual recognition and reference to the town...with the gamble being whether or not the artwork eventually is well received or forever considered a bomb. Far better a municipality receives a chunk of money for such an effort than the same municipality having to listen to the rest of the nation bitc*ing about how no one is doing anything to "fix" our current situation because not many are willing to take the risks it takes to build a successful small to mid business.

As for the pay grade...wages may be lower in some of the locations they film from, but typically so is the cost of living for those in the area. When was the last time you went to a Texas Rangers game? Are you prepared to argue that the salary disparities between a pitcher and the concession worker who brings you your hot dog and beer is somehow unfair? Certainly you can agree the concession worker deserves a fair wage for their efforts and yet management/executives certainly pay themselves quite well. Aren't there different risks being undertaken by all parties in which the greater the risk, the greater the reward?

As for the "no profit" claims you cite, I suspect this is a side effect of giving out percentage points on the back end to where there is virtually nothing left over once expenses, salaries, etc. are all taken care of.

Lastly, for a little twist at the end, millions upon millions of dollars are spent on ad space for political ads in which the same job titles you listed above such as the stars, directors and producers of the ads end up with but a few bucks while the broadcasters will not hesitate to attach 5 and 6 digit price tags to even one short burst of transmissions...dare I bring up the Super Bowl?

Just trying to understand the nucleus of your apparent disappointment in how only Hollywood operates...

P.S. California also has the 2nd worst credit rating in the United States, one slot away from the state with the worst credit rating, which is Illinois.
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#23587 Jul 12, 2014
fubar wrote:
Obama did try and get some work projects for our nation's infrastructure but was blocked by the party of "NO". The party of "NO"would rather see the country's infrastructure collapse than do what is right. Their campaign slogans should all be," we would rather destroy America, than do anything at all".By the way I have problems with some of what Obama has done too.
I certainly don't agree with the Republicans and their impeachment idea. Obama and the rest of the idiots in DC need to finish the economy and the infrastructure off with their greed, corruption and stupidity.

Then fools like you can learn the hard way that the gubmint is not your friend. Trust me. A lot of you stupid sheep won't make it.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#23588 Jul 12, 2014
Defiant1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama and the rest of the idiots in DC need to finish the economy and the infrastructure off with their greed, corruption and stupidity....
U.S. FIRMS POST MOST JOBS IN 7 YEARS, IN MAY....Associated Press .(7-9-14)..Washington -- U.S. employers advertised more jobs in May than in any month in the past seven years, a sign that this years strong hiring trend is likely to continue......

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#23589 Jul 12, 2014
Defiant1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly don't agree with the Republicans and their impeachment idea. Obama and the rest of the idiots in DC need to finish the economy and the infrastructure off with their greed, corruption and stupidity.
Then fools like you can learn the hard way that the gubmint is not your friend. Trust me. A lot of you stupid sheep won't make it.
Could you be a more uninformed and stupid sheep???
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#23590 Jul 12, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Could you be a more uninformed and stupid sheep???
You mean, to be just like you?. No thanks. Just keep spreading your propaganda and providing distractions. That's all you're good for.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#23591 Jul 12, 2014
Truth is might wrote:
Why would a welfare recipient complain about welfare?
Is it hard for you to come up with a stamp to renew, Shug?

Location hidden

#23592 Jul 12, 2014
Truth is might wrote:
<quoted text>
Back at ya, liberal lillie. We were discussing your claims to there being so many jobs created by odumbo. I broke it down for you - those jobs are created to process illegal aliens, to defend
So you can understand why people don't finish the sentence, right?

That you are a moron regurgitating right wing tea bag whiny babble?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#23593 Jul 12, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
How very sad for you, Butters.
NO wonder you need more aliases...
you mean you woodtick57.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#23594 Jul 12, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how California is still #1, AnalButter.
And most of Texas comes from the fact they are sittle on a big puddle of oil.
I guess your facts are as bad as your snappy comebacks.
You really are clueless AnalDiver which I have worked in both Texas & California which Texas is alot far better off socially and economically than California which Liberalism has destroyed California Socially and Economically which is why Businesses have let California.

Editorial: California bad for business

CEOs ranked California last in survey.

Published: May 14, 2014 Updated: 4:29 p.m.

For the past 10 years, Chief Executive magazine has surveyed hundreds of CEOs across the country about their experiences conducting business in various states.

It has used these surveys to rank the states’ business climates based on tax and regulatory regime, quality of workforce and quality of life. And for the tenth year in a row, California has come in dead last in the rankings.

On the other end of the spectrum, Texas topped the list, also for the tenth straight year. The best states for business were dominated by those in the South. Rounding out the top five states for business were Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina. Two of California’s neighboring states, Arizona and Nevada, also performed well, ranking seventh and eighth, respectively.

The worst states for business were high-tax states with powerful union interests. Besides California, the bottom five included New York, Illinois, New Jersey and Massachusetts.

Some of the CEOs’ comments about California’s business climate were quite telling – and sobering:

•“California goes out of its way to be anti-business, and particularly where one might put manufacturing and/or distribution operations.”

•“We relocated our corporate office from Los Angeles to Atlanta in 2006 largely because of the regulatory and unfriendly tax environment in the state of California.... Would make the same decision if I had to do it all over again.”

•“California could hardly do more to discourage business if that was the goal. The regulatory, tax and political environment are crushing.”

Chief Executive magazine Editor-in-Chief J.P. Donlon illustrated how California’s tangle of red tape has led to its shameful performance in the survey.“The Economist reports that it takes two years to open a new restaurant in the Golden State compared to six to eight weeks in Texas,” he wrote.“The task of unraveling the byzantine layers of regulations seems insurmountable. The jungle is too thick to be pruned. That’s why Carpenteria California CKE Restaurants (owner of Carl’s Jr.) is committed to opening 300 restaurants in Texas, but has no plans for new restaurants in California.”

The lesson in all this is that greater economic freedom leads to an improved business climate and greater prosperity.“If there is a pattern in the survey,” Donlon wrote,“it is that states have diverged in recent years in their experimentation with economic freedom. Those lightening the burden of government have generally improved economic growth over those insisting that state-directed spending and governance is best.”

Though the temptation to dictate others’ affairs is strong, especially when politics and powerful special interests are involved, putting one’s nose in another’s business is not good for business.

If the Golden State is to regain its luster, it need only remove the shackles it has placed on people to start businesses or work in the occupation of their choosing, and to generally pursue any interests they have that do not violate the rights of others.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/business-6...
LOL

United States

#23596 Jul 12, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_...
California =2,050,693
Texas = 1,387,598
Millions in 2013 dollars
In June, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis released new data on state real per capita gross domestic product for 2012. Performance for 2009-2011 was also revised, with California seeing a downward revision of 2.6 percent and while Texas’ performance was revised upward by 0.5 percent. The new figures show that in 2011 Texas surpassed California in real per capita gross domestic product while a separate report showed Texas expanding its lead in real per capita personal income.

What’s remarkable about this data showing Texas’ prosperity relative to California is how counter it runs to prevailing notions that California, with Silicon Valley and Hollywood, is a land of wealth and opportunity while Texas, part of the South, is mired in low wage poverty. In fact, Silicon Valley, as important as it is to California, only amounts to 10.4 percent of the Golden State’s economy while employing 6 percent of Californians. The mining industry in Texas, of which oil and gas extraction are the main part, generated 9.8 percent of Texas’ GDP in 2012 significantly less than manufacturing’s share of 14.5 percent—the Lone Star State’s economy is more diversified than its critics contend.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/07/...
LOL

United States

#23597 Jul 12, 2014
Primarily due to production tax incentives offered in 41 other states and numerous foreign territories, fewer and fewer shows are being shot in Southern California. States with rich credits such as Georgia, Louisiana and New York have increasingly been siphoning work from our once-dominant region since the turn of the new century.

The number of production jobs in California decreased by about 4,500 between 2005 and 2012, according to Kevin Klowden, director and managing economist at the Milken Institute’s California Center. Based on the industry’s overall growth rate, California should have added 7,900 jobs in that period — marking an actual total loss of about 12,400 positions. The state had an average of 115,000 total production jobs over that period.

Planning to shoot out of state has become the new normal for studios and producers, and the situation has accelerated in the past five years as competition for production widens throughout the world.

“Investment tax credits and cash rebates are wholly driving the fiscal production direction of our industry,” said Louis Friedman, line producer for the Afghanistan-set war movie “Lone Survivor.”“It’s the single most important financial decision made in the earliest preparation of bringing a script to life. It wholly affects both the creative look and financial bottom line from day one,” Friedman said.

http://www.dailynews.com/business/20140104/wh...

Location hidden

#23598 Jul 12, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>You really are clueless AnalDiver which I have worked in both Texas & California
I am sure you have worked restrooms up and down the interstate, AnalButters.

No one cares.

Location hidden

#23599 Jul 12, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Texas is alot far better off socially and economically
Texas is in Texas and full of sh!ts like you Butters which is why most people live in the other 49 states.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearsall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James and Audrey 1 hr Stfu 5
Indictments 1 hr Morris 16
shooting 1 hr Andy 5
Trucker99 retiring from Topix. (Nov '15) 2 hr Baba The Cosmic B... 107
m.i.a 9 hr Tell All 2
We are Anonymous 10 hr WWW_COM 5
Bye jimmy allen !!!!! 10 hr Lmao 5

Pearsall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance