Our Mighty Maverick Band

Posted in the Pearsall Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
bandfanforever

San Antonio, TX

#1 Oct 23, 2010
Our awesome Mighty Maverick Band didn't place to make it to state but we still think they were simply awesome! They were clearly much better than some of the bands that made it and it may be simply a matter of what the judges wanted not sure but maybe we will find out later.
The best that I can remember who made it are: La Vernia, Hondo Rio, Fredicksburger, Crystal City.Carrizo got alternate
missing one made but I don't remember it's been a long, long day. Good night all. Thanks for all you support!
Mav 88

United States

#2 Oct 24, 2010
bandfanforever wrote:
Our awesome Mighty Maverick Band didn't place to make it to state but we still think they were simply awesome! They were clearly much better than some of the bands that made it and it may be simply a matter of what the judges wanted not sure but maybe we will find out later.
The best that I can remember who made it are: La Vernia, Hondo Rio, Fredicksburger, Crystal City.Carrizo got alternate
missing one made but I don't remember it's been a long, long day. Good night all. Thanks for all you support!
ya blame it on the judges. That's why they should have played more at the games to get more practices
citizen

United States

#3 Oct 24, 2010
Why did they need to play more if the Mavs have been beat like a drum all season. Surely you could here that $ag 88.
band

Caddo, TX

#4 Oct 24, 2010
Well as a homer, you're biased and of course think your band is clearly better than most. I think the judges, who are trained professionals in music education, know what they're doing.
1. Rio Hondo
2. Port Isabel
3. Crystal City
4. Fredericksburg
5. La Vernia
Alt. Carrizo Springs
Honestly

United States

#5 Oct 24, 2010
Yes, I think the band was amazing this year, but it was far from MARCHING band I know. Kung Fu visuals and moving a block are very much different from what I remember. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything. I was in marching band for years, and I've gone on in training with DCI, and our shows are constant marching. Visuals are done while playing, double time in one show was a 64 step formation in 32 beats. Just constant movement. I do respect what you guys did, though. Band is a lot more than people think. It's a sport like no other in my opinion. Not everybody can crab walk across the field with their instrument, not everybody is willing to put their time into making the show happen. It takes dedication, respect, and SWEAT. Good job you guys!!!
homegrown

San Antonio, TX

#6 Oct 24, 2010
How about our 'mighty academic classes'.
bandfan6

San Antonio, TX

#7 Oct 24, 2010
Honestly wrote:
Yes, I think the band was amazing this year, but it was far from MARCHING band I know. Kung Fu visuals and moving a block are very much different from what I remember. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything. I was in marching band for years, and I've gone on in training with DCI, and our shows are constant marching. Visuals are done while playing, double time in one show was a 64 step formation in 32 beats. Just constant movement. I do respect what you guys did, though. Band is a lot more than people think. It's a sport like no other in my opinion. Not everybody can crab walk across the field with their instrument, not everybody is willing to put their time into making the show happen. It takes dedication, respect, and SWEAT. Good job you guys!!!
Yea maybe the Kung Fu moves didn't appeal to the judges but then Hondo
didn't have this style of show, they looked very Pristine I thought they had a perfect show, safe maybe but very well done. Wonder what happened to them? What is your expertise on this band? Either way I fully support our Mighty Maverick and after all they our kids.
True Mav Fan

San Antonio, TX

#8 Oct 24, 2010
Mav 88 wrote:
<quoted text>ya blame it on the judges. That's why they should have played more at the games to get more practices
I knew you would have something negative to say, and I am sure you weren't there. All the bands there were very good, but only five can advance to State Competition. I just don't know why you are so bitter!
Mav 88

United States

#9 Oct 24, 2010
True Mav Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you would have something negative to say, and I am sure you weren't there. All the bands there were very good, but only five can advance to State Competition. I just don't know why you are so bitter!
ya the best five so why blame the judges. Why don't you blame the band director.
Mary

Cotulla, TX

#10 Oct 24, 2010
I was there and it is true the Hondo band and the others that made it did have cleaner lines and their formation was better. Our kids worked their butts off and I am proud they did their best but I agre with Mav 88 it does come down to the band directors. They better not yell at our kids because they marched what they were taught. I hope they look at the tapes and see that their style of marching is to confusing where you can't tell if the kids are hitting the lines. To the Sanchez directors - look in the mirror first and yell at yourselves because you wouldn't listen to others who were trying to give you their opinions that your show was messy with to much movement. The way you like to yell and be little the kids in practices do that to yourselves first. Let's see if they let the kids play more now at the games to boost up the players spirits.
I was there

San Antonio, TX

#11 Oct 24, 2010
Mav 88 wrote:
<quoted text>ya blame it on the judges. That's why they should have played more at the games to get more practices
Maybe you should go ask Coach Cantu why HE, didn't want the band to play, he asked Sanchez to stop the band from playing. Not sure why he did that but he did, and I was there when he called Sanchez over to talk to him. And no, playing at the games does not help there program.
Say what

San Antonio, TX

#12 Oct 24, 2010
I was there wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should go ask Coach Cantu why HE, didn't want the band to play, he asked Sanchez to stop the band from playing. Not sure why he did that but he did, and I was there when he called Sanchez over to talk to him. And no, playing at the games does not help there program.
What the f....k? Did Coach Cantu really do that? Does he have the right to do that? he should be grateful that the band playing distracts the fact the game is ..how can I say it nicely???? losing.

If this is true I want to say to tell the directors how sorry he is. Nobody stops our Maverick band from playing,only a sorry loser!
I hope someone looks into this.

I can't believe this! Our football team is used to playing football with the band playing to pump them up. Now is the doesn't play we will lose every game for sure.

If this is true I hope they let Coach??? Cantu go!
Say what

San Antonio, TX

#13 Oct 24, 2010
Sorry I meant to say" Now if the band doesn't play we will lose every game for sure" sorry I was so mad when I read this.Well now we only have one more game to go thanks goodness! Shouldn't be long before Coach??? Cantu can get his a...out of here! I just feel sorry for our guys losing every game and with so many 0's. The Mighty Mavericks with so many 0's. 0's are not acceptable in the classroom either was should we accept 0's in the field.
It's amazing to me how the Doggies do well but once they get to High School we do so badly.
Maybe the district need to hire someone like they do for the teaches to look into the problem.
True Mav Fan

San Antonio, TX

#14 Oct 24, 2010
Mav 88 wrote:
<quoted text>ya the best five so why blame the judges. Why don't you blame the band director.
I am not blaming anyone. The band directors and the band members have worked extremely hard, but the competition is way much greater now than in the past. We should congratulate the Maverick Band and it's directors for a fine season. I was sitting next to a Stafford parent and learned that this was the first year ever for their band to make it as far as Area. They were elated just to be there. No, I am not saying we should settle for just being there, but we have been very fortunate that our band has been to Area (State) a countless of times. Great job, Maverick Band!!!!!!
Mav 88

United States

#15 Oct 24, 2010
I was there wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should go ask Coach Cantu why HE, didn't want the band to play, he asked Sanchez to stop the band from playing. Not sure why he did that but he did, and I was there when he called Sanchez over to talk to him. And no, playing at the games does not help there program.
he didn't want them to get TIRED.for the band contest. Maybe now that there not going to state contest they will support our football team by staying in the stands and playing
True Mav Fan

San Antonio, TX

#16 Oct 24, 2010
Say what wrote:
<quoted text>
What the f....k? Did Coach Cantu really do that? Does he have the right to do that? he should be grateful that the band playing distracts the fact the game is ..how can I say it nicely???? losing.
If this is true I want to say to tell the directors how sorry he is. Nobody stops our Maverick band from playing,only a sorry loser!
I hope someone looks into this.
I can't believe this! Our football team is used to playing football with the band playing to pump them up. Now is the doesn't play we will lose every game for sure.
If this is true I hope they let Coach??? Cantu go!
I just wish you and everyone else would put all this effort on educating your children. Everyone goes on and on how Coach Cantu and the band directors this or that, but what about teaching your children that there is more to life than football and band.
i knew it

San Antonio, TX

#17 Oct 24, 2010
Mary wrote:
I was there and it is true the Hondo band and the others that made it did have cleaner lines and their formation was better. Our kids worked their butts off and I am proud they did their best but I agre with Mav 88 it does come down to the band directors. They better not yell at our kids because they marched what they were taught. I hope they look at the tapes and see that their style of marching is to confusing where you can't tell if the kids are hitting the lines. To the Sanchez directors - look in the mirror first and yell at yourselves because you wouldn't listen to others who were trying to give you their opinions that your show was messy with to much movement. The way you like to yell and be little the kids in practices do that to yourselves first. Let's see if they let the kids play more now at the games to boost up the players spirits.
I knew there had to be some parent crying about their "baby" being yelled at. Maybe you should get your kid off your t*ttie and let him/her learn that he/she is gonna get yelled at in the real world and they may have to submit to certain authorities if they want to succeed. The world is a cruel dark place and you should be glad that your kids can withstand being yelled at and critiqued without giving up like some other kids did.
Native

United States

#18 Oct 24, 2010
"Mary", that is the problem, there is not enough discipline! You just said " they better not yell at them!" wawawa!!! The band is also a team including the directors. I have an idea for you, you should go give them your input and show them how it's really done, then maybe they will make it to state! Oh and that hondo band is Rio Hondo!! Peace Maria!!!
wow

San Antonio, TX

#19 Oct 24, 2010
How about nobody blames the judges or the band and just realize that the mighty maverick band isnt as good as people think it is
SeniorBand11

San Antonio, TX

#20 Oct 24, 2010
Mav 88 wrote:
<quoted text>ya the best five so why blame the judges. Why don't you blame the band director.
You stfu!
You weren't there at the practice, you have no idea how much the directors worked so don't you even start blaming them, fkn idiot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearsall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alex Quinonez 1 hr valerie 11
Carlos Rodríguez 2 hr TMZ 46
Party in moore 3 hr shakira 8
need a barber 3 hr Not from hur 1
pHS 4 hr Concern Citizen 5
RV Parks 4 hr info 5
robert 4 hr omg 4
More from around the web

Pearsall People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]