Pearl River man charged in arrow slay...

Pearl River man charged in arrow slaying of Siberian husky

There are 10 comments on the Journal News story from Oct 30, 2009, titled Pearl River man charged in arrow slaying of Siberian husky. In it, Journal News reports that:

ORANGETOWN - State investigators have tracked down a Pearl River man they say killed a Siberian husky with an arrow while hunting illegally in Blauvelt State Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal News.

Steven Glen

Stratford, CT

#1 Nov 1, 2009
There are holes in this hunter's story for sure. There is no way this happened as he says. A coyote and two deer would NEVER be in the same area together. So he missed the deer and the arrow "accidentally" hit the dog? Yeah right. He obviously wanted to kill something so he shot the dog.

I feel for the dog owner too but let's be honest, the dogs should not have been off the leash in a public park. This could have been avoided by both parties.

“Show no Quarter !”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2 Nov 2, 2009
Steven Glen wrote:
There are holes in this hunter's story for sure. There is no way this happened as he says. A coyote and two deer would NEVER be in the same area together. So he missed the deer and the arrow "accidentally" hit the dog? Yeah right. He obviously wanted to kill something so he shot the dog.
I feel for the dog owner too but let's be honest, the dogs should not have been off the leash in a public park. This could have been avoided by both parties.
Have not been in the woods much ? Coyote and deer Are together because they usually don't have the power to pose a threat to a healthy deer, I see it all the time ! First and foremost, I hunt but it's plain here that the hunter is at TOTAL FAULT ! He should not have been there period !! The dog off the leash crap means NOTHING! That could easily have been a kid, thank God it wasn't . Dog owners just the victim here, nothing more. Now another a$$hole screws it up for other legitimate hunters !
Steven Glen

Stratford, CT

#3 Nov 2, 2009
french louie wrote:
<quoted text>Have not been in the woods much ? Coyote and deer Are together because they usually don't have the power to pose a threat to a healthy deer, I see it all the time ! First and foremost, I hunt but it's plain here that the hunter is at TOTAL FAULT ! He should not have been there period !! The dog off the leash crap means NOTHING! That could easily have been a kid, thank God it wasn't . Dog owners just the victim here, nothing more. Now another a$$hole screws it up for other legitimate hunters !
I have been in the woods. You will generally not see coyote within 10 feet of a deer, sick or healthy as a deer will most likely take off. I didn't mean they weren't together in the same woods. There probably weren't any deer there to shoot at at all as a man walking with two dogs off the leash would have them moving off. This moron just wanted to kill SOMETHING.

As for the hunter being at total fault, I completely agree. However, dogs are supposed to be on leash. Maybe if they were this would not have happened even though the hunter should not have been there. Saying it didn't matter does not make sense. It's like saying a drunk driver crashes and kills someone in the car. Would it matter if the person was wearing a seat belt or not? Of course as stats prove that. What if the dogs bit a kid who was running through the woods? There's a reason a crowded public park area does not allow dogs off the leash and it DOES matter.

You are right though,hunters like him give all responsible hunters a bad name for sure.

“Show no Quarter !”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Nov 3, 2009
Steven Glen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been in the woods. You will generally not see coyote within 10 feet of a deer, sick or healthy as a deer will most likely take off. I didn't mean they weren't together in the same woods. There probably weren't any deer there to shoot at at all as a man walking with two dogs off the leash would have them moving off. This moron just wanted to kill SOMETHING.
As for the hunter being at total fault, I completely agree. However, dogs are supposed to be on leash. Maybe if they were this would not have happened even though the hunter should not have been there. Saying it didn't matter does not make sense. It's like saying a drunk driver crashes and kills someone in the car. Would it matter if the person was wearing a seat belt or not? Of course as stats prove that. What if the dogs bit a kid who was running through the woods? There's a reason a crowded public park area does not allow dogs off the leash and it DOES matter.
You are right though,hunters like him give all responsible hunters a bad name for sure.
Sure, I agree with the leash laws. What I meant was it wouldn't have prevented this incident, as you said:"This guy was out to kill something" . Most of Blauvelt state park is undeveloped. It's pretty thick woods even with the leaves off the trees.If this guy had the dog on the leash he could have been easily hit himself. I went to PR high school with a Giebelhouse, "not the brightest bulb in the pack". If he's any relation to this one I'm not surprised!
Steven Glen

Stratford, CT

#5 Nov 3, 2009
french louie wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, I agree with the leash laws. What I meant was it wouldn't have prevented this incident, as you said:"This guy was out to kill something" . Most of Blauvelt state park is undeveloped. It's pretty thick woods even with the leaves off the trees.If this guy had the dog on the leash he could have been easily hit himself. I went to PR high school with a Giebelhouse, "not the brightest bulb in the pack". If he's any relation to this one I'm not surprised!
Another needless tragic incident caused by a moron. Anyway, enjoy the upcoming holiday season.

“Show no Quarter !”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#6 Nov 3, 2009
Steven Glen wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway, enjoy the upcoming holiday season.
Same to you and yours!
Linda Giron

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Nov 4, 2009
The issue isn't about a dog being off leash but a poacher in the woods. I live in a protected area near Nyack, signs are well posted, yet, it's frequented by bow hunters who are too lazy to drive to a designated hunting area and purchase a hunting liscense.

I have to agree with coyotes being close to deer, I have seen this many times as well. Wildlife can be surprising and unpredictable, illegal hunters have no regard for the laws or rules, I too have been threatened by illegal bow hunters in our protected woods. And yes, I was concerned about my life as well as my dog. He was ballistic because my dog barked at the deer he was planning to shoot.

“Show no Quarter !”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#8 Nov 4, 2009
Linda Giron wrote:
The issue isn't about a dog being off leash but a poacher in the woods. I live in a protected area near Nyack, signs are well posted, yet, it's frequented by bow hunters who are too lazy to drive to a designated hunting area and purchase a hunting liscense.
I have to agree with coyotes being close to deer, I have seen this many times as well. Wildlife can be surprising and unpredictable, illegal hunters have no regard for the laws or rules, I too have been threatened by illegal bow hunters in our protected woods. And yes, I was concerned about my life as well as my dog. He was ballistic because my dog barked at the deer he was planning to shoot.
I hope you then called the cops. If you want to solve the problem you GOTTA GET INVOLVED! GOOD LUCK !
bobtheman

Ancaster, Canada

#9 Nov 7, 2009
There is only one punishment worthy of this crime to
1. punish him
2. protect society from future adventures
3. protect canids from his STUPIDY !!

Put him DOWN like we do with all RABID DOGS !! be done with him...let the maggots have him
Matt Wilson

Kingston, NY

#10 Nov 13, 2009
Sad story all around.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gregg Brie released without bail on charges of ... (Jul '08) Oct 15 Lgcollura 109
News Pair Involved in Yonkers Police Shooting Arrest... Oct 6 333stenbrian 1
Review: Reasonable Locksmithing (Dec '10) Sep 26 Lee 22
News Rockland first in New York in child support enf... (Sep '07) Sep '17 brcnyc 36
News No longer on a pedestal: New York debates Chris... Sep '17 KcBayside 3
News Rockland news in brief (Jun '11) Apr '16 Jennifer 2
News Board Of Elections Invalidates Preserve Rocklan... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Mary Wannah 1

Pearl River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pearl River Mortgages