Residents will vote on lifting liquor...

Residents will vote on lifting liquor ban

There are 9 comments on the The South Mississippi Sun Herald story from Nov 5, 2006, titled Residents will vote on lifting liquor ban. In it, The South Mississippi Sun Herald reports that:

Senaka Hinton is tired of going out of his way for a bottle of liquor. It's a 30-mile round-trip drive down the interstate and into Louisiana, the nearest spot the Picayune man can purchase the spirits he needs ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The South Mississippi Sun Herald.

Katie

Terry, MS

#1 Nov 7, 2006
I think alcohol should not be allowed in Pearl River County, we already have enough idiots driving crazy around this county. We don't want to have to worry more about drunk drivers killing our children. People just DONT CARE anymore!!!!!!
Katie

Terry, MS

#2 Nov 7, 2006
Senaka Hinton and everyone else needs to stop complaining and worry about the future of this county... They already sell alcohol at Wal-Mart in Picayune!!!!!!!!
Still in the bay

United States

#3 Nov 7, 2006
Poor Senaka....gotta make a drive for his fix. Maybe he can find a rehab a little closer.
koty

Mandeville, LA

#4 Nov 7, 2006
does anyone know if it's been passed or not?
yulonda

Dallas, TX

#5 Jan 24, 2007
To anyone who thinks that not having liquor in their county stops drunk drivers - are you so sure that those that are DRIVING to another county to purchase alcohol are not putting you and your family at a greater risk by being forced to travel to make their purchases? In fact, are we not forcing them to DRINK AND DRIVE? I would prefer that someone bought their alcohol at the corner store and walked home, rather than risk them driving the distance, drinking and driving that same distance again. Are you really so niave to believe that by forcing someone to drive further that your streets are safer? Not to mention all the good things the tax collected on these purchases could do - why would you want the next county to reap the benefits of the taxes that could in fact go towards hiring more state troopers to assist in keeping your roads and highways safer?

Isn't our country built on certain freedoms - like freedom of choice and the right to pursue happiness, my happiness may not be yours nor yours mine, but I do feel that I have the right to choose, thus the vote. Please do not be so narrow minded as to think that limiting the selling of alcohol will stop or limit people from consuming alcohol, it only frustrates them and a frustrated drunk is the last thing I would want on my highways.
farawaysis

United States

#6 Feb 5, 2007
Face it people! Picayune is growing.. Would you like to have a bar next door? Or up the road from where you live and your children play? Chances are drunks won't walk, they will drive. By allowing this to happen it wont stop drinking and driving but it give many more the opportunity to due so. I drink, but I don't drink and drive. And I surely would disapprove a bar in my neighborhood, or even close by. I have a child. I love my child. My child comes first, not the alcohol. Gez- I'm not a drunk. I don't want drunks flying up and down my road with my child outside. Any thing could happen.. So, therefore, I hope it never happens...
jingle bell

New Orleans, LA

#7 Feb 20, 2007
What is the difference in having a bar in town or a meth lab in the woods. You people are gagging at gnats and swallowing the whole elephant.
farawaysis

Pinola, MS

#8 Feb 20, 2007
jingle bell wrote:
What is the difference in having a bar in town or a meth lab in the woods. You people are gagging at gnats and swallowing the whole elephant.
Meth labs are illegal. You can't relate illegal drugs to alcohol.
Richard Anderson

United States

#9 Feb 21, 2007
Pearl River County needs to grow up and join the rest of the country. I'm supposed to drive a 60 mile round trip because some womans family is full of alcoholics? My family isn't full of alcoholics. Punish her family not mine. It's un-American not to allow me the choice. Cuevas fish house. I didn't like your fish anyway. Afraid of the competition from modern restaurants? I think the dollar is talking louder than your religious convictions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ROBERT ATKINSON of the MISSISSIPPI HIGHWAY PATROL (Oct '10) Aug 22 Truth 74
police: sad day for law enforcement canton police (Aug '08) Aug 22 Truth 3
Constables (Aug '09) Aug 22 Truth 30
News Carthage Police Reports (May '07) Aug 22 Truth 5
carthage city judge (Nov '10) Aug 22 Truth 2
News Mississippi man Felix Vail living link to myste... (Nov '12) Jul 30 TipsyFromCentralC... 3
News Locals bound for Democratic nominating convention Jul '16 Government Propag... 6

Pearl River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pearl River Mortgages