Bon Ton friends remain close 70 years later

COURTESY GLADYS GOKA Gladys Goka fits one of her clients with a brassiere in a photo taken in February 1939. Full Story
Kimokeo

AOL

#1 May 29, 2008
I guess I'm dating myself but I remember Bon Ton, along with other long gone downtown stores like Kress, The Hub, Andrade's, Lum Kee (for choke pants), Benson-Smith, Metropolitan Meat Market, Detor's Jewlery. restaurants Ciro's, The Patio, Merchants Grill. Wow, am I makule or what?
Puaala

Honolulu, HI

#2 May 29, 2008
I remember this store and liked
shopping there.
I thank you for the picture of the store on the corner and across from it was Kress.
You mentionind the mullet pond at Sand Island that too I remember because as a youngster I lived with grandparents across the island, on Mokuoeo.
Erika Engle

Honolulu, HI

#3 May 29, 2008
I LOVED this story, Nadine! Please submit this one for an award; you REALLY captured the ladies' collective essence and the decorum of the times. The photos are fabulous -- the whole thing is really excellent!
Waimea Girl

Waipahu, HI

#4 May 29, 2008
What a wonderful story!!! A big thank you for sharing and including photos - those women still show their beauty!! How lucky for Gayle Ozawa to attend these luncheons and to LISTEN to the old stories.
Thankyou again!
Penny
Mickie

AOL

#5 May 30, 2008
This is such an interesting story and the pictures are precious. More, more, more! I sure miss the old downtown Honolulu, I remember seeing a lot of it even though I was a child during WWII. Stories and pictures like this would make a wonderful book.
Lynn of Kaimuki

AOL

#6 May 30, 2008
Thank you for the lovely article. We must cherish these wonderful memories and stories. Working at Bon Ton must have influenced my Mom's fashion sense. I still remember her (Dorothy Nakata) shopping at Times Mkt. Waialae wearing a seersucker shirtwaisted dress, pumps and nylons. It was because I was a screaming youngster lost in the grocery aisle that I can visualize her attire. Mahalo, Nadine & Gayle.
nicole charles

Columbia, MO

#7 Jun 16, 2008
Kimokeo wrote:
I guess I'm dating myself but I remember Bon Ton, along with other long gone downtown stores like Kress, The Hub, Andrade's, Lum Kee (for choke pants), Benson-Smith, Metropolitan Meat Market, Detor's Jewlery. restaurants Ciro's, The Patio, Merchants Grill. Wow, am I makule or what?
Do you remember my great-grandfather Antone Louis who at one time owned Metropolitan Meat Market?
nicole charles

Columbia, MO

#8 Jun 16, 2008
I am trying to research my family tree but am having difficulty finding information. My great-grandfather was Antone Louis and at one time owned Metropolitan Meat Market.
David3 M

Ashland, OR

#9 Jun 22, 2013
5 years since the last post so a long shot, but I'll give it a try.... Definiely rememberas small kid Metropolitan Meat Market, about nextto Yat Loy clothing on King Street, no? The thing I liked best was all the pneumatic tubes zooming everywhere, from the meat counter to cashiers to the offices upstairs. my Grandpa was C.J. Day of C.J Day & Co on Fort Street, right next to Hollisters Drugs and near Wichmans Jewelery. Fun to rememember, no?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shooting stays with officer for 20 years [The H... Sep 13 akamai 9
Bruce Milles (Sep '08) Sep 10 POLIAHU 41
Custodian denies sex assault on schoolboy, atto... Sep 7 District 1 2
Review: Bill Ramsey Inc (Jul '08) Sep 5 So tired of this ... 41
do you think michelle c t the real estate agent... Aug 25 Terry 1
Body Discovered with Stab Wounds (Nov '10) Aug 21 Opinion 36
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 8
•••
•••
Pearl City Dating