Bids sought for project to ease westbound traffic - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Afternoon rush-hour relief is on the way for Ewa-bound motorists as the state prepares to start construction on the H-1 Freeway P.M. Contraflow.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Bee

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

I tell you...The bestest way to improve that side of the island's bottleneck traffic is to go past Pearl Harbor over the water. Make one bridge or go underwater! Build high walls or something. Get some smart bridge engineers from China or Germany. Get the Feds to help design the bridge to meet security measures.
Big John - Hawaii Kai

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

No need. We'll have Mufi's chu-chu!

Since: Nov 09

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

The feds will pay for 90% of this project. I wonder why Mufi couldn't 90% for his train.
Islandboi

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

State Transportation Director Brennon Morioka says the new zipper lane will save 10-20 minutes off commute time. Funny, we heard the exact same thing during the last freeway widening project and look where we are today. Ok, get through that area faster to bottleneck further down the road? How about adding an H3 shoulder lane in that area? Space is there, just need to post signage at small cost. All this work has little impact as long as our elected bureaucrats allow 10s of thousands of new homes to be built in West Oahu. Get ready for even more traffic jams. Oh that's right, the mufster's choo choo will eliminate traffic. Silly me.
Bout Time

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Move it! Way to go! We should be utilizing every smart, modern highway solution to traffic congestion available, and maximizing federal aid to do so. Billions for elevated rail from Kapolei to Ala Moana just isn't going to cut the mustard. It might provide a new "alternative" for a small percentage of mass transit riders, but it will never fix the bottlenecks, or be worth its extremely high cost.

As for a bridge, I'm all for that idea. Parsons is good at bridges and roads -- get their mind off this antique elevated rail idea and give us something we will all feel confident in!
local

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

I've been telling the state for years to get a contraflow lane for years. If you got one in the morning, it's only makes sense for one going home. Like I told the state, all the cars that come into town during the morning has to go back in the afternoon. I guess only now the light bulb clicks on.
All aboard

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Flexo wrote:
The feds will pay for 90% of this project. I wonder why Mufi couldn't 90% for his train.
We could have built the train years ago with most of the money caming from Federal funding if some of the city council had the foresight and brain. We could have built one that would have gone underground with a big price tag and most of the money from the fed. The environmental wackos and the nay sayers prevailed. That is why it is better to build it now than wait another 10 years. We have studied rail long enough, Fasi had the foresight but the city council were only interested in getting the pension from tax dollar, and the longer we wait the more it will cost us. It is time to bite the bullet done with it.
Land is limited, we can not pave Oahu forever, the only way out of the traffic jam is to build up. We could double deck H-1 and H-2 but that would be a nightmare. We could put toll-boths in every entraces to the current freeways, but you know where that money go after that-->square building on Beretania where incompetent politicians will spend it getting the bloated government even bigger. Since 25% of vehicles are un-insured, we should implement a way to get them off the freeways.
stretch

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

All aboard wrote:
<quoted text>
We could have built the train years ago with most of the money caming from Federal funding if some of the city council had the foresight and brain. We could have built one that would have gone underground with a big price tag and most of the money from the fed. The environmental wackos and the nay sayers prevailed. That is why it is better to build it now than wait another 10 years. We have studied rail long enough, Fasi had the foresight but the city council were only interested in getting the pension from tax dollar, and the longer we wait the more it will cost us...Since 25% of vehicles are un-insured, we should implement a way to get them off the freeways.
1)"Today there are open fields in Kapolei; in ten years you will have a new university, a huge community center run by the Salvation Army, more housing on Hawaiian homes lands, a shopping center larger than Ala Moana, and in 20 years, about 40,000 more jobs and about 25,000 more homes in the Ewa/Kapolei region."
For Mufi to build the HHTC system is really saying Mufi is pro-development. So about avoiding Oahu being paved over is BS, as he wants jobs for his union buddies...his campaign manager is former HGEA boss, Russell Okada.
2)"Sitting in traffic congestion" begins in Pearl City and ends at Punahou. Fasi's proposal (see Honolulu Weekly) took care of this, but D. Inouye, R. Tam, and H. Felix didn't like it...but they back Mufi now.
Obama hates You

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

All good ideas but none of it will happen. The State of Hawaii is f**ked up and has never done anything right. So why expect anything now.
2 Much

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

stretch wrote:
<quoted text>
1)"Today there are open fields in Kapolei; in ten years you will have a new university, a huge community center run by the Salvation Army, more housing on Hawaiian homes lands, a shopping center larger than Ala Moana, and in 20 years, about 40,000 more jobs and about 25,000 more homes in the Ewa/Kapolei region."
For Mufi to build the HHTC system is really saying Mufi is pro-development. So about avoiding Oahu being paved over is BS, as he wants jobs for his union buddies...his campaign manager is former HGEA boss, Russell Okada.
2)"Sitting in traffic congestion" begins in Pearl City and ends at Punahou. Fasi's proposal (see Honolulu Weekly) took care of this, but D. Inouye, R. Tam, and H. Felix didn't like it...but they back Mufi now.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with #2. Traffic begins at Kunia. With all the houses that were built and those that greedy developers are trying build on prime agricultural land will only increase traffic even more. Plus Hawaii is always so backwards. They build all these neighborhoods and when the voters complain about traffic they go back and try to fix it. Build the infrastructures first, not the other way around.
Manapua Man

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Raise the registration fees!!!!!!!!
Pearl City

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

The main problem with traffic is "too many vehicles". To solve the traffic problems? Get rid of the vehicles. I don't mean the legal vehicles, I mean the illegal vehicles and drivers. How many times have we read were there is a "hit and split" incident, or people getting caught for what ever reason and the driver arrested for no lic. etc. If all the illegal vehicles were impounded, we would reduce traffic by at least 15%, if not more. The State or City has areas where these vehicle can be stored and then sold or trashed if not recovered within an alotted time. Even with all the cost to store, security, paper work, it would still be cheaper than the CHOO CHOO. Our political system don't want to do this because it would step on to many toes. It would be too incorrect, to take away the vehicles from the less unfortunate. I say driving a vehicle is not a right but a privilege.
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

With rail dying, why not ride a bike, take a bus or walk. I do.
allfedup

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

oh brother.....another corrupted project in the making......save that money for gufis cho cho train....he one that will eventually cost more than $10,000,000,000.00.this city is run by MORONS.
Robert W

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

I always feel sorry for people living in Iroquois Point who can see the people in planes landing at HNL yet have to drive all the way in a big circle to get there. A bridge there and then an elevated spur off H-1 from the airport to downtown over Nimitz Blvd would be amazing. Could you imagine NO stoplights going through the industrial part of Nimitz? Adding 6 lanes of freeway there would be almost the same as adding six to existing H-1 through pearl city. Could you imagine?!!??

It's just too bad we waste all this money on bandaids.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pearl City Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance