Letters to the editor - Letters

Teachers and their union claim to have the students' best interest at heart and have been vocal critics of the furloughs. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ksgrad

Honolulu, HI

#41 Nov 2, 2009
Gee thanks wrote:
Gee, the teachers are thed bad guys. Teachers don't care. Why don't you people who criticise teachers quit YOUR jobs and become teachers since you think teachers are such bad people? Oh, you probably wouldn't be able to handle being called lazy and uncaring everyday. The teachers took a pay cut with the furloughs. Why should they give up pay that they will never get back? Would you? Teachers care for the kids but they also have families and finances to care about as well which you selfish people who like to criticise seem to forget.
Yes...its the public against State Workers all the time...They talk a lot of crap but none of them would take the jobs you and I do...cheap talk. The public is clueless to what the State Workers have already given up..To then go ahead and want to decide for us either furloughs or paycuts, thats a bunch of bs. Then s*** hits the fan and they want to grumble some more...Too much!
ksgrad

Honolulu, HI

#42 Nov 2, 2009
justanopinion wrote:
yes mr. watase all us teachers are so greedy. i can take my $50.000 salary after 20 years of teaching and two masters degrees to the mainland. along the way of my college education i learned an important lesson: don't take a paycut if it doesn't benefit you. so, you criticize from your beautiful home in niu valley throwing stones at others. nice. two months ago, EVERYONE in the State wanted the teachers to take a hit to help with the budget shortfall. a plan was made with the guidance from your governor that furloughs was the way to go. and now with the plan signed off on by all parties, all of a sudden teachers are GREEDY. huh? watase you're as messed up as the State. one more thing for all you critics. when you criticize teachers in a blog, the impact of your statement would have more merit if proper punctuation, grammar, and spelling were used.
Love it...yeah, the teachers are Greedy because they took the furloughs which is a pay cut.. go figure!Public is clueless.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#43 Nov 2, 2009
Teacher out here are poorly educated and well paid for their horrible performance. But that said, they walked away from children and chose not to teach. They lost what few freinds they had in this community by doing that.
huh

Honolulu, HI

#44 Nov 2, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>So tell me, how do you determine which teachers have "real" skill and which ones don't? And why would the state want to keep the ones that don't?
unfortunately, the state doesn't really have the power to decide which teachers should stay, and which should go.

the union spends most of its time defending and protecting the bad teachers - it is incredibly hard to get fired from the DOE, thanks to the union. and the lazy slackers know it - they are content to draw their salaries, do nothing for the students, race the students off campus at the final bell, and let their co-workers do all the work.

if their administrators are as lazy and incompetent as they are, they will look the other way and ignore the bad teachers, because it's just too much trouble to write them up (thanks again to the wonderful union). they will instead focus on the teachers that quietly do their jobs, and not complain or run to the union for every little thing, and crack the whip on them to increase test scores.

until the administrators and the DOE are given the power to terminate deadweight instead of promoting the bad teachers to non-teaching lines or district resource teachers to get them out of the classroom, away from the kids, nothing will improve.
Inside Out

Portola, CA

#45 Nov 2, 2009
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
unfortunately, the state doesn't really have the power to decide which teachers should stay, and which should go.
the union spends most of its time defending and protecting the bad teachers - it is incredibly hard to get fired from the DOE, thanks to the union. and the lazy slackers know it - they are content to draw their salaries, do nothing for the students, race the students off campus at the final bell, and let their co-workers do all the work.
if their administrators are as lazy and incompetent as they are, they will look the other way and ignore the bad teachers, because it's just too much trouble to write them up (thanks again to the wonderful union). they will instead focus on the teachers that quietly do their jobs, and not complain or run to the union for every little thing, and crack the whip on them to increase test scores.
until the administrators and the DOE are given the power to terminate deadweight instead of promoting the bad teachers to non-teaching lines or district resource teachers to get them out of the classroom, away from the kids, nothing will improve.
Sounds like you know the system from the inside out. Maybe you should copy and paste that one over and over- it might make a difference?
alice

Hanalei, HI

#46 Nov 2, 2009
alice wrote:
Teacher out here are poorly educated and well paid for their horrible performance. But that said, they walked away from children and chose not to teach. They lost what few freinds they had in this community by doing that.
Nice to see the truth finally told

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Nov 19 Joe Balls 6
A welcome opening of Iroquois Point beach (Mar '08) Nov 16 Guru 60
Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Nov 15 dudealohajoe 559
!!!A Huge Breakout of Micronesian Talent Set to... Nov 12 Micro_Stompa 1
2 chains limit bulk rice purchases (Jul '08) Nov 2 Joe Balls 4
Car Towing scam Nov 1 Stypmann 1
HPD officer charged in domestic abuse Oct 31 Joe Balls 1
Pearl City Dating
Find my Match

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pearl City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pearl City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:50 pm PST

NBC Sports 9:50PM
Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report10:29 PM
5 Bold Predictions for Oakland Raiders' Week 13 Matchup
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 13: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Seahawks vs. 49ers
Bleacher Report 9:13 AM
Fallon's 49ers-Seahawks Superlatives
Bleacher Report12:08 PM
Betting Odds, Prediction for Raiders vs. Rams