Letters to the editor - Letters

Teachers and their union claim to have the students' best interest at heart and have been vocal critics of the furloughs. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Iolani

Honolulu, HI

#1 Nov 1, 2009
Dr. Iwashita's letter shows why Iolani School always had, and always will have, class.

Yet the core Christian values Yamashita expounds in caring for their neighbors not wealthy enough to purchase their own homes and have to rent, is a quality and concern that their alumnus, Mayor Mufi, lost a long time ago and made evident in jacking up the rent of those that rent.

Usually academic institutions of high quality learning like Iolani, will sometimes bestow honorary degrees upon individuals of noted contributions and accomplishments in their community.

With Mufi, Iolani would do well to DEMAND that:

the Democratic Hack
who stabbed his mentor
Republican Ronald Reagan
in the back

return the diploma he stole from Iolani.

(AND Geller lays out yet another reason to kill the rail pig too).
Reality2010

Makawao, HI

#2 Nov 1, 2009
"So while we feel sorry for the students, there's no sympathy for your unpaid vacation days."

That statement says it all. Teachers are so respected in our society that one cannot dare to say anything truthfully negative about them without being ostracized.

In this case, every legislator that votes to raid the rainy day fund claiming teacher's pay is a crisis and the fund must be used- when they- teachers- rank 18th in the nation for pay, is worthy to remember at the 2010 polling booth. The teachers have truly revealed their greed and our respect for them in Hawaii went from an A, to an F overnight when they ratified a contract to hurt students and inflict harm, with malice....shame on you teachers- I hope you all defect to the mainland and we get real teachers wanting to teach, not those that exhibit such greed.

Thank you Mr. Watase for a letter saying it like it really is that no legislator has the guts to say.
Pat

Hanalei, HI

#3 Nov 1, 2009
Thank you very much, Larry Geller, for expressing the truth about the proposed rail. I strongly oppose the rail.
kapaa

Wahiawa, HI

#4 Nov 1, 2009
Cut the DOE administration !!!! Thats were all the Waste is.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#5 Nov 1, 2009
rail is a nightmare for Honolulu and will sink thye city with debt and corruption and suits.
Honolulu Resident

AOL

#6 Nov 1, 2009
The only positive thing we've heard about the railroad is that it will create jobs. There must be a better way.
Honolulu Resident

AOL

#7 Nov 1, 2009
C.Y. Watase might be onto something. But don't limit pay cuts to teachers. We could cut everyone's pay, beginning with the CEOs who make millions or billions off the backs of the working class. Then the politicians, federal, state and county administrations, from the top down, and when it gets down to the lowest paid -- public and private -- leave them alone.
Joe The Vice President

Honolulu, HI

#8 Nov 1, 2009
Honolulu Resident wrote:
The only positive thing we've heard about the railroad is that it will create jobs. There must be a better way.
No No No....you got it all wrong......DaTrain is a net money loser, that will require a financial "bail out" from the taxpayers every month FOREVER.

What is positive about DaTrain is that the Big Union types that build it, and the employees who will run it, will always vote democrat.

Now you know why Mufi and I want to build DaTrain, even though it will be a Drag on the Private Sector economy.

Remember in the age of Obama.......Government and Goldman-Sachs first, all others after.

Lovey, Hopey, Changey, xoxo Big Joe.

Since: Oct 09

Honolulu, HI

#9 Nov 1, 2009
So Larry wants rail to run at-grade, I guess he has never been on the H-1 when there has been a accident. One car accident can along the rail route can shut the system down if it is at grade level. Just ask the residents of Phoenix that have already had 12 accidents this year alone.

The business along the rail system will see their businesses thrive. Especially those right near the stations. Rail will be a boom for them since they will get the increase in foot traffic which leads to more business. The state also will be a winner with the increase collection of the GET.

Elevated rail is the only way to go to have a reliable rail project. Businesses will also have a chance to advertise just like they do now in The Bus. So there is no reason to put the project at risk to suggest an at-grade just so you can hop off for a cup of joe!
Gee thanks

Keaau, HI

#10 Nov 1, 2009
Gee, the teachers are thed bad guys. Teachers don't care. Why don't you people who criticise teachers quit YOUR jobs and become teachers since you think teachers are such bad people? Oh, you probably wouldn't be able to handle being called lazy and uncaring everyday. The teachers took a pay cut with the furloughs. Why should they give up pay that they will never get back? Would you? Teachers care for the kids but they also have families and finances to care about as well which you selfish people who like to criticise seem to forget.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#11 Nov 1, 2009
Gee thanks wrote:
Gee, the teachers are thed bad guys. Teachers don't care. Why don't you people who criticise teachers quit YOUR jobs and become teachers since you think teachers are such bad people? Oh, you probably wouldn't be able to handle being called lazy and uncaring everyday. The teachers took a pay cut with the furloughs. Why should they give up pay that they will never get back? Would you? Teachers care for the kids but they also have families and finances to care about as well which you selfish people who like to criticise seem to forget.
You can say EXACTLY the same thing if you were in the private sector about public sector people. But you don't want to hear what they've been going through for over a year now. All you're interested in is yourself. That's what I call selfish.

Besides, if you have an issue with salaries, take it up with the DOE and HSTA, not the public. Aim your criticism at the root cause of your problem instead of simply demanding more money like it's free.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#12 Nov 1, 2009
teachers here are poorly educated and perform at a very low level as we know. There slamming the school door in the face of the children speaks volumes about their professionalism...or lack of it

Since: Jul 09

Honolulu, HI

#13 Nov 1, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>You can say EXACTLY the same thing if you were in the private sector about public sector people. But you don't want to hear what they've been going through for over a year now. All you're interested in is yourself. That's what I call selfish.
Besides, if you have an issue with salaries, take it up with the DOE and HSTA, not the public. Aim your criticism at the root cause of your problem instead of simply demanding more money like it's free.
I feel for all those in the private sector who have had pay cuts or lost their jobs, and may well be joining them soon. However, calling someone selfish who is simply trying to provide for their families is wrong. Re: "demanding more money like it's free," nobody in the public sector has received, or even asked for, more money.

Honolulu, HI

#14 Nov 1, 2009
Gee thanks wrote:
Well said.

Honolulu, HI

#15 Nov 1, 2009
[QUOTE who="Reality2010] I hope you all defect to the mainland and we get real teachers wanting to teach, not those that exhibit such greed.
Thank you Mr. Watase for a letter saying it like it really is that no legislator has the guts to say.
[/QUOTE]

You will no doubt get your wish. The ones who leave will be the "real teachers" you say you want. Good luck finding replacements willing to accept the working conditions and public abuse in Hawaii.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#16 Nov 1, 2009
alice wrote:
teachers here are poorly educated and perform at a very low level as we know. There slamming the school door in the face of the children speaks volumes about their professionalism...or lack of it
true..send your child to private school
Take the pay cut

Wahiawa, HI

#17 Nov 1, 2009
drwaikiki wrote:
<quoted text>
You will no doubt get your wish. The ones who leave will be the "real teachers" you say you want. Good luck finding replacements willing to accept the working conditions and public abuse in Hawaii.
No, "Real Teachers" would not have made their students pay the price. Teachers who care would have taken a small 8% pay cut with NO VACATION to go along with it! The teachers greedily made the wrong decision for their students. If you can't see this....you are not one of the good teachers so enjoy life on the mainland.
drug test teachers

Wahiawa, HI

#18 Nov 1, 2009
alice wrote:
I think it has nothing to do with whether they are poorly educated. It has everything to do with GREED. Teachers should always put their students first. They should have made sure the kids were not pawns in their greedy contract negotiations. Our teachers did the opposite. That is why they lost all of our respect.
alice

Hanalei, HI

#19 Nov 1, 2009
I agree...Hawaii is stuck with a very bad teaching crops and yes, they do come from the bottom half of their class. If you wonder why public school grads are so mpoorly educated, look tot he education of their teachers. Shocking really.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#20 Nov 1, 2009
drwaikiki wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel for all those in the private sector who have had pay cuts or lost their jobs, and may well be joining them soon. However, calling someone selfish who is simply trying to provide for their families is wrong. Re: "demanding more money like it's free," nobody in the public sector has received, or even asked for, more money.
No. But they're demanding the rail fund or hurricane fund or any other fund with a balance be used to pay their full time salaries as a way to compensate for others losing their jobs. Or increasing the GET for their personal benefit. I don't see how any of the "options" they propose benefits anyone other than a state (or union state) worker.

And if you read what I was responding to, the poster indicated it was others who were selfish. People who have already lost their jobs or have reduced hours. What makes that poster feel public workers are above the private sector people who have ACTUALLY been suffering?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
skype masturbation 14 hr Rex13 1
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) Sun Musikologist 15
Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Dec 9 Joe Balls 565
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12
A welcome opening of Iroquois Point beach (Mar '08) Nov '14 Guru 60
!!!A Huge Breakout of Micronesian Talent Set to... Nov '14 Micro_Stompa 1
2 chains limit bulk rice purchases (Jul '08) Nov '14 Joe Balls 4

Flash Flood Watch for Honolulu County was issued at December 22 at 3:54AM HST

Pearl City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pearl City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pearl City