Letters to the Editor - Letters

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

What happened to the spirits of aloha and ohana? As an isolated island the unique quality of a caring attitude seems to be fading in our representatives.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Nov 10, 2009
Honorably Discharged

Honolulu, HI

#1 Nov 9, 2009
Building a railroad just to provide jobs during this recession is very shortsighted. The jobs will be good, but they will be gone when the railroad is built, and those left unemployed will have to find ways to pay to maintain and operate that railroad since surveys show that no one wants to give up their cars and no one plans to ride the train. If we want to create new jobs, let's convert the former sugar cane and pineapple lands to truck farms and employ our people in providing us with all the vegetables, etc. that we now have to import. That's thinking ahead.
JObs now

Honolulu, HI

#2 Nov 9, 2009
We need jobs NOW! The rail project construction will bring those jobs. And that is a good thing.
Bo Bows

Kaneohe, HI

#3 Nov 9, 2009
How can you turn down 10000 of jobs?? Putting money to end furlough fridays may get the teachers there 7% pay cut back...but moving forward with the rail project will get 4000, thats 4000, workers off the bench and into the game!
Bo Bows

Kaneohe, HI

#4 Nov 9, 2009
Honorably Discharged wrote:
Building a railroad just to provide jobs during this recession is very shortsighted. The jobs will be good, but they will be gone when the railroad is built, and those left unemployed will have to find ways to pay to maintain and operate that railroad since surveys show that no one wants to give up their cars and no one plans to ride the train. If we want to create new jobs, let's convert the former sugar cane and pineapple lands to truck farms and employ our people in providing us with all the vegetables, etc. that we now have to import. That's thinking ahead.
The jobs created by construction now, will lead to jobs when transit oriented development comes to town.
LovesMufi-LovesR ail

United States

#5 Nov 9, 2009
All I can say is this: www.movingusforward.net/archives/114

Dare to check it out rail naysayers..
LovesMufi-LovesR ail

United States

#6 Nov 9, 2009
And this too...research bunnies!

http://www.honolulutransit.org/library/files/...
LovesMufi-LovesR ail

United States

#7 Nov 9, 2009
N check this out research bunnies!

http://www.honolulutransit.org/library/files/...
landowner

Monterey, TN

#8 Nov 9, 2009
JObs now wrote:
We need jobs NOW! The rail project construction will bring those jobs. And that is a good thing.
But what we don't need is another bridge to nowhere
Anti Jihadist

Honolulu, HI

#9 Nov 9, 2009
Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda...

Army Major Used 'Electronic Means' to Connect with Terrorists...

British spies help prevent al Qaeda-inspired attack on New York subway...

Wake UP America ! These Muslim Maniacs are not only inside the gates, they are inside our military bases !
Muslim Jericho

Honolulu, HI

#10 Nov 9, 2009
Fort Hood shooter was member of Homeland Security Panel advising Obama
Of course. Why not? He was a "moderate." Until he wasn't.

"Nidal Hasan: Ft. Hood Shooter Participated in Homeland Security Disaster Preparation," from Gawker, November 6 (thanks to Mary Belle):

The gunman who killed 12 people today at Ft. Hood appears, based on current media reports, to be Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan who was listed as a participant in a Homeland Security Policy Institute's presidential transition task force last year.
The task force was not officially affiliated with the White House. It was a project of the Homeland Security Policy Institute, an independent thinktank housed at George Washington University, aimed at drafting policy recommendations for the incoming Obama administration.

According to the task force's May 2009 report [pdf], a "Nidal Hasan" from the Uniformed Services University School of Medicine was a task force event participant. Other participants included Senate and House staffers, Department of Homeland Security officials, Defense Department officials, and reporters for Politico, the Washington Post, and the London Times....
Local grown

Honolulu, HI

#11 Nov 9, 2009
All the other is well and good, what about the Ft. Hood MASSACRE and little comment from our world president, B.H.Obama. He won't call a spade a spade or say that the Muslims are at fault for what is taught at mosques. Heck, he's heard the same type of message at Rev. Wright's church, it didn't have to come from his local mosque. He admits he is a Muslim so is hesitant to lay it out for all to see, THIS WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK by one of our own military members. Political correctness has cost 12 their lives and others are wounded, mentally and physically.
MissLyn

Honolulu, HI

#12 Nov 9, 2009
Local grown wrote:
All the other is well and good, what about the Ft. Hood MASSACRE and little comment from our world president, B.H.Obama. He won't call a spade a spade or say that the Muslims are at fault for what is taught at mosques. Heck, he's heard the same type of message at Rev. Wright's church, it didn't have to come from his local mosque. He admits he is a Muslim so is hesitant to lay it out for all to see, THIS WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK by one of our own military members. Political correctness has cost 12 their lives and others are wounded, mentally and physically.
And your point is???? So what!!! If a white man killed other military, are we going to disciminate against all whites? It's a religion and there are a lot of Americans born in the U.S. who are Muslims. Is it Obama's fault that this happened? You sound like a pure KKK racist!
MissLyn

Honolulu, HI

#13 Nov 9, 2009
landowner wrote:
<quoted text>
But what we don't need is another bridge to nowhere
The brdige to nowhere was to be built in Alaska. And yes, that bridge was to lead to nowhere. We need rail and we needed it a long time ago. I always said the longer you procrastinate, the longer it takes to get it done! The rail money has nothing to do with what's happening with the state. You can blame your governor or its legislators for that. And since you're complaining about teachers' pay, etc., I see no one complaining about the raise they [legislators] received -- 36%!!! Why aren't they taking a pay cut? Take back the raises...they're not doing anymore work! I believe in the rail and the jobs it will create. Why would you say no one would ride it, I for one will and so will a lot many people when they see how convenient it would be. Fixing the roads will not make traffic better. Riding the bus on the same roads as cars will not make traffic better. The rail will help with traffic not solve it stupid!I don't like sitting on H-1 on the weekends. And no, it's a front door service but neither is bus! And do you think everyone can afford a cab? BUILD RAIL NOW. BUILD RAIL NOW.
mischal

Pearl City, HI

#14 Nov 10, 2009
MissLyn wrote:
<quoted text>
The brdige to nowhere was to be built in Alaska. And yes, that bridge was to lead to nowhere. We need rail and we needed it a long time ago. I always said the longer you procrastinate, the longer it takes to get it done! The rail money has nothing to do with what's happening with the state. You can blame your governor or its legislators for that. And since you're complaining about teachers' pay, etc., I see no one complaining about the raise they [legislators] received -- 36%!!! Why aren't they taking a pay cut? Take back the raises...they're not doing anymore work! I believe in the rail and the jobs it will create. Why would you say no one would ride it, I for one will and so will a lot many people when they see how convenient it would be. Fixing the roads will not make traffic better. Riding the bus on the same roads as cars will not make traffic better. The rail will help with traffic not solve it stupid!I don't like sitting on H-1 on the weekends. And no, it's a front door service but neither is bus! And do you think everyone can afford a cab? BUILD RAIL NOW. BUILD RAIL NOW.
Well, I, for one, hope you do ride it a lot and often, and bring all your friends because during off peak hours, I think it will be running fairly empty and will need to be heavily subsidized.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
do you think michelle c t the real estate agent... Aug 25 Terry 1
Body Discovered with Stab Wounds (Nov '10) Aug 21 Opinion 36
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Aug 18 Musikologist 8
Police Officer Injured Trying to Arrest Suspect... Aug 14 Who are you 1
drunken, obnoxious ugly butch Aug 14 Mia 1
Aloha Sub opening four new locations on Oahu by... Aug 8 American_Infidel 1
Homelessness and roadways take priority Aug 7 Joe Balls 17
•••
•••
•••

Pearl City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pearl City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pearl City
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••