Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials

What happened to the spirits of aloha and ohana? As an isolated island the unique quality of a caring attitude seems to be fading in our representatives. Full Story
bucksforlolo

Lahaina, HI

#22 Nov 9, 2009
Snobs ? Many work multi jobs with not much down time to send their
kid/kids to private schools , barely hanging on at that . They do this for the best education possible , but also to avoid all the crap in public schools . I would guess most elected folk do the same ( except the multi jobs part ).
willie

Farmington, MI

#23 Nov 9, 2009
Oahu Voted for Rail wrote:
(where we voted for rail, btw).
Refresh my memory, exactly how was the ballot question framed?

I am so glad to see all the pro railers on here. I would be willing to bet NONE of them are paying for this or if they are are going to realize a huge return on anything they do pay.

See you when the first bone is dug up or the first "ooooppps, we never thought of that, we need more money" over run occurs.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#24 Nov 9, 2009
BuildRailNow wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me? "Polls are never scientific"? "We don't know what the questions are....?" 900 Oahu residents were asked a series of questions about rail; they were selected at random to ensure a proper mix of ages, ethnicity, location, etc. They were ASKED QUESTIONS ... so they obviously knew what the questions were.
So if you want to deny the science of opinion surveys, go right ahead. You're not in tune with the real world, however.
Build Rail Now !!
lol! I like that. It was scientific because questions were "asked." I guess as opposed to demanding them at gun point.

And I'm not sure what you mean by they were "...selected at random to ensure a proper mix of ages, ethnicity, location, etc...." One condition has no bearing on any of the others, so your point here is worthless.

Your idea of what you consider science would "prove" the world was flat in 1492. And all you had to do was query those "scientists."
Poi

United States

#25 Nov 9, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! I like that. It was scientific because questions were "asked." I guess as opposed to demanding them at gun point.
And I'm not sure what you mean by they were "...selected at random to ensure a proper mix of ages, ethnicity, location, etc...." One condition has no bearing on any of the others, so your point here is worthless.
Your idea of what you consider science would "prove" the world was flat in 1492. And all you had to do was query those "scientists."
So many questions.

So few answers.

The life of a child. Why why why mommy?
Poi

United States

#26 Nov 9, 2009
Oh, I forgot.

lol!
Xie Xie

United States

#27 Nov 9, 2009
Thank goodness for the anonymity of the Internet that allows us to read and place a lot of EXPERT opinions. Life is good!!!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#28 Nov 9, 2009
Poi wrote:
<quoted text>
So many questions.
So few answers.
The life of a child. Why why why mommy?
lol! Yes, unlike you.

So many answers...

...so few questions.

The life of a narcissist. It's all about you, isn't it mr racist b traitor?
BuildRailNow

Paris, France

#29 Nov 9, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! I like that. It was scientific because questions were "asked." I guess as opposed to demanding them at gun point.
Uh....one wonders where to begin or whether, like you, to simply LOL. Have you never heard of Gallop, Roper, any of the polling organizations? Have you not known that public opinion surveys have been happening for decades? It's not a secret to most informed citizens.

A little more instruction: polling organizations use processes to ensure that the sampled population is properly repressented by the people who actually are telephoned. Google it; go to Wikipedia, do something TO EDUCATE YOURSELF and avoid furtyher embarrassment.
French Flag of Surrender

Honolulu, HI

#30 Nov 9, 2009
BuildRailNow wrote:
The comments of the anti-rail faction here for the most part are despicable. If all you can do is rant and vent your hatred -- well, that's better than beating your wife and kids or kicking the cat, so go ahead and vent. We can handle it.
But you really have nothing of substance to say on the subject. The vast majority of Oahu's population supports construction of the rail system. We pro-rail commentators are here to bear witness to that fact and not cede this venue to the likes of you.
Build Rail Now !!
See you in Paris, huh? Must be nice taking Honolulu tax payer cash mufi gave you to fund your little vacation, huh?

Tell the French they are a bunch of panties for not backing US up in Iraq.

They will believe you because, after all, you have the qualifications.

By the way, the pair you're wearing is too baggy. No throw'em away though, because it will fit your big "rail" head. Love that color too you added.

Go Green!
Von

Aiea, HI

#31 Nov 9, 2009
"Leaders should be accountable"

Oh, I disagree totally!

Hawaii does care about its Keiki's. They need them and use them when ever it's convenient as scapegoats. What better way for our government to get what they want than to have our Keiki with a big smile next to them. Our Keiki's are too young to talk so then our leaders are free to go to China, Las Vegas or any place. Then when the government gets what they want the Kiekies are but always until next time.

In Hawaii this is how it was always done.
Flexo

Keauhou, HI

#32 Nov 9, 2009
BuildRailNow wrote:
In response to Isaiah Lee Chong -- yes, let's have residents contact their City Council member in direct proportion to public sentiment in each district, which is decidedly pro-rail.
A strong majority of residents in each Council district believes rail is a good investment for Oahu; the lowest percentage among the districts is 60. That's a landslide of pro-rail opinion in our community.
With respect to Mr. Chong's views, if TheBus and TheCab were meeting residents' needs, there'd be no traffic congestion on the H-1, right? Nobody would be driving in that mess if taking the bus or a taxi were all that's required.
Maybe Mr. Chong is fine with 90-minute or two-hour commutes, morning and night, but the people already have spoken. They want to Build Rail Now!
Where in the world are you getting these figures from, Mufi perhaps. It's the second time in recent days you've tossed out these supposed pro-rail numbers with no substantiation.
Sachiyama

Cleveland, OH

#33 Nov 9, 2009
Poi wrote:
Oh, I forgot.
lol!
Plantation Asian rants are coming up with this whitemen traitor anti- Amaerican Poi brain haole.
Edumacated

San Diego, CA

#34 Nov 9, 2009
That dynamic of expoitation of one self-appointed class,clique, over every other, is the primary conditioning and education in the state of Hawaii, which teaches people to accept their position in the status quo -- but never to question it, as would be the rightful task of those who self-create that democratic republic. But as we've learned in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, just pronouncing a people "free," is not enough to make them so. They have to feel truly free from the habits and tradition of servitude and being bullied by the more ruthless organized among them -- who actually reinforce that intimidation as their education to obey and never question authority -- by the simply authoritarian among us.
willie

Farmington, MI

#35 Nov 9, 2009
BuildRailNow wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh....one wonders where to begin or whether, like you, to simply LOL. Have you never heard of Gallop, Roper, any of the polling organizations? Have you not known that public opinion surveys have been happening for decades? It's not a secret to most informed citizens.
A little more instruction: polling organizations use processes to ensure that the sampled population is properly repressented by the people who actually are telephoned. Google it; go to Wikipedia, do something TO EDUCATE YOURSELF and avoid furtyher embarrassment.
I have a better idea. Post a link to your poll, who did it, what questions were asked, when, where...you know, information not "they polled the people and they said....." Short of that anything you say is meaninigless.....
Flexo

Keauhou, HI

#36 Nov 9, 2009
BuildRailNow wrote:
<quoted text>
Kalli, it's not a "job creation" project; it's a transportation project that will create jobs in the course of being built. Rail will be transporting Oahu residents for decades after the last worker leaves the site.
Nearly 70% of the respondents in a recent scientifically condcted poll said they think rail is a good economic investment for Oahu. A solid majority favors rail, so let's get on with it and Build Rail Now !!
I guess you haven't been keeping up with Mufi. Long ago this went from being a transportation project to a jobs project. He gave up on trying to sell it as transportation after his own design team told him that building the project would not reduce congestion. So we went from "solving traffic" to "jobs" and "options".
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#37 Nov 9, 2009
BuildRailNow wrote:
<quoted text>
lol! Yes, I've heard the names. And yes, there are many other polling organizations as well. So which one of your polling organizations did the work? The secret you seem to want to hold onto is a poll is fact when it's not. And even then, polls are only as good as the questions being asked.

If you'd like to show me the guidelines the polls used for yours, I'll be happy to read it. But don't tell me what you think they are.
Kamaaina11

Honolulu, HI

#38 Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu definitely needs rail transit, no question about it. With more than 800,000 vehicles on Oahu's roadways, the residents need some relief. I heard it is estimated that more than 30,000 cars would be eliminated - that is huge! Just think now how easy the commute is from the Leeward side when UH Manoa is not in session. I am for rail, the sooner the better!
Flexo

Keauhou, HI

#39 Nov 9, 2009
Tired of the talk wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't use transit dollars for education. This is a mistruth that is being circulated. It is like to story of the ant and grasshopper. The ant worked hard to secure his future while the grasshopper didn't hoping that someday would not come. Well it did. Rail Transit project has the funding because it went through the govermental processes to acquire the money needed. Unfortunately our school system kept spending and spending and didn't have a plan for when their budget got tight. The transit GET tax surcharge is an "Oahu Only" dedicated tax to fund the project. Lawmakers voted for it and voters approved it. It sounds good in a blog about taking the money - but you need to be truthful in what you are saying.
Voters did not approve the transit tax. Nor did voters have a say in whether they wanted to build a trasit system. But you are right about one thing, the money belongs to Oahu, not the state or the school system.
Poi

United States

#40 Nov 9, 2009
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Yes, I've heard the names. And yes, there are many other polling organizations as well. So which one of your polling organizations did the work? The secret you seem to want to hold onto is a poll is fact when it's not. And even then, polls are only as good as the questions being asked.
If you'd like to show me the guidelines the polls used for yours, I'll be happy to read it. But don't tell me what you think they are.
lol!

but why

But why mommy.

But daddy said.

Daddy? Why?
alice

Hanalei, HI

#41 Nov 9, 2009
no rail...please

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
skype masturbation Dec 22 Rex13 1
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) Dec 21 Musikologist 15
Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Dec 9 Joe Balls 565
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12
A welcome opening of Iroquois Point beach (Mar '08) Nov '14 Guru 60
!!!A Huge Breakout of Micronesian Talent Set to... Nov '14 Micro_Stompa 1
2 chains limit bulk rice purchases (Jul '08) Nov '14 Joe Balls 4
Pearl City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pearl City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pearl City

Personal Finance