Pali Lanes rolls for spare - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Bowlers came last night to play for the last time at Pali Lanes, but they got a dash of hope from prospective buyers who want to keep the Kailua bowling alley open.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
SmokingDuck

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

I wonder why bowling alleys are dying out. I remember how big bowling was in Hawai'i in the 70's. It was a great social outlet to hang with friends.
I know what killed the drive-ins: the VCR. I don't know what has killed bowling alleys. Nintendo? Nah, I doesn't prpovide the group social setting.

“Jazz Music - Good For The Soul”

Since: Sep 07

Kailua, Oahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Great news...if they can get it done!
Lord Haha

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

If the city can provide facilities that people play on (with balls-golf courses) why can't they provide bowling alleys.

I think Rod Tam can do that if he were mayor. A bowling alley can be self sufficient and even very profitable.

People love to bowl.
Sarah

Walnut, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

The 'in' people do not bowl, so not popular. For myself, am not any good at it so no point.

Yes, it is sad so something to lose its popularity.

Maybe professional sports are so popular because people do not participate and instead just watch.
Napster

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

I wish these guys luck, but I don't foresee much success.
The mention of "obsolete" equipment was telling. One of the main reasons of the decline in bowling in Hawaii is that the lanes here are not keeping up with the times.
There are many successful alleys on the Mainland that are using state of the art equipment and combining them with full restaraunts, bars, and entertainment centers. You invest in that and people will come.
i luv batu

Kalaheo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

bowling is too expensive
how much one game now,$5?
golf more cheap
farrt

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

SmokingDuck wrote:
I wonder why bowling alleys are dying out. I remember how big bowling was in Hawai'i in the 70's. It was a great social outlet to hang with friends.
I know what killed the drive-ins: the VCR. I don't know what has killed bowling alleys. Nintendo? Nah, I doesn't prpovide the group social setting.
Leagues are what killed bowling. I use to bowl a lot as a kid. I came Hawaii and the only decent time you can bowl was in a league. I'm not a league type of bowler. Waiting till midnight to bowl just killed it for me.
Poi Boy

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

farrt wrote:
<quoted text>
Leagues are what killed bowling. I use to bowl a lot as a kid. I came Hawaii and the only decent time you can bowl was in a league. I'm not a league type of bowler. Waiting till midnight to bowl just killed it for me.
Same here. Could never find open lanes at just any time. Always occupied by leagues. How can one get interested in bowling when there are no open lanes to bowl for fun. So I found other stuff to do and spend my money on.

Since: Aug 09

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

There was a some kind of altercation at the bowling alley last night shortly after 10 pm. Police sirens blaring for at least 15 minutes. People shouting. Police cars everywhere. Didn't know there were that many officers on the windward side, much less in Kailua.

Interesting that this story wasn't reported.
WatchGuy

Conyers, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

Started bowling at Pali Lanes back in the early 1960's. We lived in Kahala and drove there every Saturday morning for our league. We became very close friends of the owners (at that time), the late Chuck Stompka and his wife. They were great people and loved being a part of the community. They made Pali Lanes more then just a bowling alley... it was a community center. And that is exactly how it should be treated today... not just as a bowling alley, but a very vital part of the community and part of it's past 50 year history. It would be beyond selfish if the current owners would not sell the equipment to the local investment group trying to preserve an important link to Oahu's and for that part, Kailua's history.
DIRTY HARRY

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

CAPS ON SO U CAN READ
NOT A INDOOR SPORT LOCALS LIKE.
NO DRUGS, NO HULA S, NEED DRIVERS LIC, AND INS, AND REG.
HAGD

“Jazz Music - Good For The Soul”

Since: Sep 07

Kailua, Oahu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

Judged:

i luv batu wrote:
bowling is too expensive
how much one game now,$5?
golf more cheap
Bowling is something that ANYONE can learn and do easily, regardless of skill level. When was the last time you saw a family with young children out on the golf links??

Trust me...golf is NOT cheaper than bowling.

Also...try golfing when it's raining, Super Genius.
In The Mix

Kihei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2009

cruiselady wrote:
There was a some kind of altercation at the bowling alley last night shortly after 10 pm. Police sirens blaring for at least 15 minutes. People shouting. Police cars everywhere. Didn't know there were that many officers on the windward side, much less in Kailua.
Interesting that this story wasn't reported.
The fight was actually across the street and completely unrelated to the bowling alley. At 10pm there is a shift change so actually there were double the normal amount, plus all the Police from Waimanalo and Kaneohe came by. There really are as many as you thought...
Rufus

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2009

We need to keep some bowling alleys for the community bowlers. We got Leeward, & Aiea, I'm not sure @ Kahala, but on the Windward we only got the base but you know what a hassle it is to get on to those. Time to bring back some power to the communities, way back then we had Kaimuki, Stadium bowl-a-drome, Kapiolani, Mac or "Kam", CLASSIC, & on the Windwardside we had Windward bowl and the Tropicana lanes to name a few. Yup it was popular. Hey maybe if we put kadaoke at the lanes MUFI might set up a special fund for the improvements & upkeep. ALOHA!!!!!
loco moco

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2009

DIRTY HARRY wrote:
CAPS ON SO U CAN READ
NOT A INDOOR SPORT LOCALS LIKE.
NO DRUGS
You lolo. Couple bong hits make bowling much more amusing. Funniest thing I ever saw was one late night at Stadium Bowl-O-Drome when four drunk UH football jocks came in, got their shoes and took about half an hour finding just the right size bowling balls.

The third guy to bowl, I guess his fingers were too fat because he gave a huge swing and lofted the ball all the way down the alley and straight through the AMF Pindicator triangle sign above the pins. I bet those drunks never ran that fast when they were on the football field!

But they took off out the door wearing their rental bowling shoes and the cops probably went catch 'um when they analyzed the DNA from their real shoes' toejams.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2009

The bowlimg alleys are dying and the kids are getting heavier playing video games.
i luv batu

Kalaheo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2009

loco moco wrote:
<quoted text>
You lolo. Couple bong hits make bowling much more amusing. Funniest thing I ever saw was one late night at Stadium Bowl-O-Drome when four drunk UH football jocks came in, got their shoes and took about half an hour finding just the right size bowling balls.
The third guy to bowl, I guess his fingers were too fat because he gave a huge swing and lofted the ball all the way down the alley and straight through the AMF Pindicator triangle sign above the pins. I bet those drunks never ran that fast when they were on the football field!
But they took off out the door wearing their rental bowling shoes and the cops probably went catch 'um when they analyzed the DNA from their real shoes' toejams.
you sure was bowl o drome? cuz bod was one brunswick house not amf

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pearl City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••