K. Mark Takai - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

People are getting fed up with the personal use of fireworks, says the state legislator, and he wants to spearhead a ban By Christine Donnelly POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jan 08, 2010 Return to Paginated View K. Mark Takai hopes this is the year.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Jan 9, 2010
Sky High Takai

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

You know, all this fuss about ban, no ban is rendered all but meaningless UNTIL a guy like Takai steps forward.

Takai articulates some compelling arguments for outright ban, but it is his service and integrity, and his working with our service members that has earned him my support now to ban these fireworks.

This "cultural" argument is kinda mostly bogus anyway, except for a very narrow segment of the population that can demonstrate a continuous historical link back to the days the chinese started blowing up stuff back when Ghangis Khan went about riding roughshod while raping, pillaging and plundering their country side.

To everybody else, it is really about "making big nose."

If you are going to argue "cutlure and history," then lets get way, way back to that point in time BEFORE the commie chinese figured out how to blow stuff up.
local

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

I'm with you Rep. Takai on the ban of fireworks. It has got to a point of no control.
About Time

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

It's about time we banned fireworks here. They're pretty to look at and lots of fun, but they're not worth the burned homes, pollution and injuries suffered every year. We can get our jollies some other way.

Let's do it now before some kid dies...then we'll all be sorry.
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Takai is brainy and right. He has my vote!
waimea jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

The ban of fireworks should be left up to the Counties and not the State.
Whereas, all the stupids live on the island of Oahu, it is very quiet here in Waimea on the Big Island.
If you want a ban on Oahu, have the City Council ban them, and not punish the rest of the Counties.
Do not punish everyone for the acts of the few on Oahu.
Why is it when Honolulu has issues, the rest of the State is supposed to follow lockstep with their wishes?
The politicos there seem to think that they are smarter than the rest of the State. Sometimes, I wonder if they are smarter than a 5th grader!!!
Don't tell me that I know nothing of what is happening there, I have lived on Oahu for 56 years, and have moved to the Big Island for just the reasons above.
Stupid is, is what stupid gets.
Wise up!! Get on Mufi's and the City Council's case and have them pass a ban on fireworks.

Also, here's my take on the budget crisis, have the State and Counties offer early retirement without penalties for age and time of service, for the adminstrative staff of the DOE and the UH faculty and staff first, and if you don't get enough applicants for retirement from the adminstration, then open it up to all the workers with the condition that the jobs will not be replaced or refilled with new people (leaner Government, and forcing the remaining personnel to work harder with no layoffs).
The employee retirement fund should be still be there unless the Legislature and City Council's raided them already,(less the losses in the investments) so there should be enough money to cover the retirements, and that will free up monies that have been paying senior deadwood.
This will allow the monies that have been going to wages and salaries for pay for younger workers.
Do the early retirements first, then go back and negotiate after they figure how much money has been saved.
Lefty

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Is this guy for real?$2 Billion for DOE constitutes "limited funds." And procedures are already in place to ensure that our audit procedures and fiscal management are adequate? What planet is this guy living on? I can see this legislative session shaping up now- 99% of the time wasted on fireworks and the remaining 1% on the last day of the session to raise taxes- just like 2009.
broken record

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Lefty wrote:
Is this guy for real?$2 Billion for DOE constitutes "limited funds." And procedures are already in place to ensure that our audit procedures and fiscal management are adequate? What planet is this guy living on? I can see this legislative session shaping up now- 99% of the time wasted on fireworks and the remaining 1% on the last day of the session to raise taxes- just like 2009.
You don't like it?

Become a part of the solution, instead of just another finger pointer. Vote him out, or run for office.
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

alice wrote:
Takai is brainy and right. He has my vote!
he sure does
Killa Wiffa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Send Takai to Afghanistan!!!!!!!!
Rubba Slippa Man

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Get a life, Takai!!!!!!!!
Hawaii Native

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

I vote for a total ban. Yes, I was born and raised in Hawaii but can no longer adhere to the cultural values claimed as justification for retaining the use of fireworks, when balanced against the adverse health and social consequences. Thank you, K. Mark Takai.
broken record

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Killa Wiffa wrote:
Send Takai to Afghanistan!!!!!!!!
He's already been there and back with the National Guard, and has served his country.

What have you done?
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Takai is da bomb!
Haole Me

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Thank god someone like Rep. Takai is willing to step
up to the plate and do what is pono for the community.
In general Oahu is NOT rural Hawaii anymore... you wanna
blow yourself up... Fine, just do it out in the empty pineapple
fields out by the north shore or at Sandy's. Let's be clear here.
We're NOT talking about a few sparkers and firecrackers we're talking about AERIAL BOMBS. We have outgrown personal aerial fireworks.

BTW your 'celebration' killed our pet of 13 years and I will miss her
forever. Hope you're happy.
Lefty

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

broken record wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like it?
Become a part of the solution, instead of just another finger pointer. Vote him out, or run for office.
I vote in every election and have my own district representative who lives in his own fantasy world and needs to be unseated. So the short answer is - No, I don't like it, and will exercise my vote against it, and encourage others who don't like it to do the same, in my district, Mr Takai's district and in any other useless incumbent's district. We all need to point fingers to remind these guys they work for us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Pearl City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Pearl City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••