Schools chief quits - Hawaii News

Schools chief quits - Hawaii News

There are 124 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 1, 2010, titled Schools chief quits - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

In a surprise move that was kept quiet for days, the head of the financially challenged state Department of Education has resigned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Kaneohe Dad

Honolulu, HI

#22 Jan 1, 2010
Hooray and a Happy day. Pat Hamamoto was useless. Now, Marion Higa lets start a complete auditing process on Monday. I am sure that more will resign in disgrace like Pat did.
The only problem is, she wasn't FIRED. Now we have to pay her retirement! Too Bad! Pat Hamamoto belongs in jail.
Joel Kazlofski

Kapaa, HI

#23 Jan 1, 2010
Let us not place all the blame on Hamamoto for not managing the school system. She had little power, as the BOE, HSTA, Legislature, DOE bureaucracy and Governor all battle for control.

The legislature, led by Hanbusa, fails to manage the budget, which is their responsibility and then sits back blamesany needed cuts on Lingle. Lingle worries more about the press than the actual schools. HSTA's chief focus is to protect the pay, perks, and positions of administrative staff, and holds instructional days for students ransom to get their demands. BOE is too worried about petty arguments, to provide leadership.

Who looks out for our students? No one.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#24 Jan 1, 2010
Happy New Year!

I guess when the going gets tough, the trough feeders leave. Makes me wonder if they all have the same attitude when faced with a real problem they have to deal with.

It's another lesson the board tries to teach kids... quit.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#25 Jan 1, 2010
Kaneohe Dad wrote:
Hooray and a Happy day. Pat Hamamoto was useless. Now, Marion Higa lets start a complete auditing process on Monday. I am sure that more will resign in disgrace like Pat did.
The only problem is, she wasn't FIRED. Now we have to pay her retirement! Too Bad! Pat Hamamoto belongs in jail.
lol. That would be interesting if they can actually do an audit now. It would be more interesting to see who quits as the audit progresses.

Since: Nov 08

Anchorage, AK

#26 Jan 1, 2010
Good riddance!
Disgusted

Honolulu, HI

#27 Jan 1, 2010
If your child is diabetic or needs a special diet, the cafeteria has to make a special diet for the student.
If you cannot afford A Plus, the state will waive the fee. Problem is that if you have welfare moms, aren't they home to take care of their kids in the afternoon.
If you are special ed, besides a teacher, you will get your personalized aide. If you are sickly, a nurse is also brought in.
Free Lunch for welfare children who are also collecting food stamps.
You wonder why the bureaucracy is thick!
Rats jump sinking ship

United States

#28 Jan 1, 2010
HSTA exec board is next to go, followed by all BoE members, followed by dissolution of HSTA and BoE....
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#29 Jan 1, 2010
I'm told that my kid's school has 98% "free or reduced" lunch population. Starting this month, my own kids have to do without because I cannot afford it. My complaint is that the parents of these kids drive new trucks with ghetto rims, loud stereos, and plenty of bling for cigarrettes while I drive a twenty year old junk-a-lunk car, and barely scrape by from month to month. I don't think I waste money, but I surely don't know how to play the game.
Ed Tech

Honolulu, HI

#30 Jan 1, 2010
I am very sad to see Pat resign. As a person who has been pro-active in public education for over 15 years, I have seen a number of superintendents in that position. I feel that Pat was one of the best. She always responded to my e-mails (someone who is not in the department), though she receives hundreds. She led the dept. through NCLB, federal compliance, and other difficulties. As a person on a committee that reviews DOE catagorical and centralized fund distribution, I know that the DOE use of money is not so out of line as some people think.
Pat had a long term as superintendents go(as compared to others in the past). I wish her good luck in the new year and hope that the next time she sees me she can say "Hi Dennis" with a smile.
Disgusted

Honolulu, HI

#31 Jan 1, 2010
@Stumpy, my neighbor is on welfare, four children, nice cars, free medicaid, food stamps, boyfriend dealing grass, kids get free school lunch, special ed. Last night they had the best fireworks. You wonder why the DOE is struggling, values have shifted over the years. If you are a screwed up parent, do badly raising your children in instilling values and an education, just blame the school system.
Lippy Espinda

Mililani, HI

#32 Jan 1, 2010
get real wrote:
GOOD RIDDANCE! BYE-BYE! DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE A SS ON THE WAY OUT!
Yeah, you tell em!!
I doubt that people like you would last even a week in her position. Try working at a job with the entire state hanging over your shoulder. Easy to stand on the sidelines and be an armchair, know it all quarterback. Have you or others like yourself even taught a day in our public schools? What have you done recently to try to better public education in Hawaii.......... I didn't think so.
BTW, what's so great about private schools? There are many not so bright lightbulbs there who are:
1. sons and daughters of people who have money.
2. Whose families know someone with pull.
3. Who are children of graduates of those schools.
Many are "taken care" of and graduate, but can't even enter UH Manoa.
Now go back to where you belong in front of the TV scratching your ass while watching your football games.
TheShaft

Kihei, HI

#33 Jan 1, 2010
Another example of the public not being allowed to keep State officials accountable for their actions. People are allowed to resign and slip into the night and enjoy her fat retirement package.
HSTA MEMBER

Honolulu, HI

#34 Jan 1, 2010
Now we hope that the next ones' to step down is the HSTA President and his cronies. They have not produced any results from this on going negotiations on this furlough deals..."sleeping with the enemy"...also, eliminate the BOE, it is just another layer of fat in the system that make it hard to accomplish anything....
The amoeba

Mililani, HI

#35 Jan 1, 2010
Ah, yes. The Aloha State in action.
1. Labeling a superintendent with eight years in the job, during one of the most trying eras for education in recent memory (9/11, two major recessions, and the implementation of No Child Left Behind), a "quitter" - at retirement age.
2. Lambasting that superintendent for increasing school funding "almost to the level of the private schools" - failing to recognize that it costs MORE in time, money, and effort to bring an under-performing student to standard than a top-performer. Especially when a. the private schools cherrypick most of the top performers, and b. during Hamamoto's tenure, it became FEDERAL LAW to provide services to special needs children that ramp up mandated spending for little, if any, measurable gain in educational performance.
3. Calling for an audit of the DOE/BOE to "cut the waste" and "save taxpayer money", when such an audit almost certainly will wind up costing the state's citizens MORE, as the audit uncovers the many ways in which the state's educational system, by art or malfeasance, is STILL not in compliance with Federal law.
From what I've seen, Hawaii is a Byzantine network of passive aggressives - a network built up through years of rules, and circumvention of rules, and circumvention of circumvention of rules, and so on and so forth until nothing can get done and everybody is passively aggressively hating on everybody else.
"Aloha State" should be taken off the license plates. It amounts to deceptive advertising. Last I knew, deceptive advertising was a crime.
John Kamaka

Kailua, HI

#36 Jan 1, 2010
Pete888 wrote:
MICHELLE RHEE
Ahhh...you got the right person, Michelle Rhee has done to Washington's school district, taking it from the dumps to one of the nation's highest rankings! But she had the support of the political system and fired most of the incompetent Educational bureaucracy including teachers!

Michelle Rhee or someone of that character is needed in Hawaii, but they still have to deal with the entrenched corrupt Unions and politicians.

Good riddance to that corrupt and incompetent Pat Hanamoto, just wondered how much she will get in her pension-for-life paychecks, doing a disservice and injustice to Hawaii's children for so long? She and her cronies in the BOE should have all been FIRED..they don't deserve one penny of any taxpayer funded retirement package for hijacking your children's future with bottom-of-the-barrel ratings!

Also, will this Pat Hanamoto come back to double-dip into the DOE or State organization as an "consultant" or "contractor", since she has for so long sat in the DOE with numerious opportunities to "massage" the corrupt DOE system of cronyisum, especially the "special" annual slush fund of $900 million dollars?

As the saying goes for Hawaii's old network, "your scratch my back and I'll scratch yours"! Don't think for once that the DOE or State infested corrupt system will change, just because ONE crony has resigned...it's just a dog and pony show, she'll get a handsome retirement package...all paid for by you the taxpayers and most likely some cushy well financed "position" for taking the fall for those actually responisble for the mess the DOE is in.

That's how these parasites take care of each other...nothing is really gonna change, until we clean the entire pig pen of the stench the permeates Hawaii's corrupt "old boy networks"!
FreeLoaders

Kailua, HI

#37 Jan 1, 2010
Stumpy wrote:
I'm told that my kid's school has 98% "free or reduced" lunch population. Starting this month, my own kids have to do without because I cannot afford it. My complaint is that the parents of these kids drive new trucks with ghetto rims, loud stereos, and plenty of bling for cigarrettes while I drive a twenty year old junk-a-lunk car, and barely scrape by from month to month. I don't think I waste money, but I surely don't know how to play the game.
You must be talking about those 15,000 Micronesians getting free secton 8 housing, dental/medical benefits, free education for their kids for not putting a single dime in the system that supports them!

Goes to show how stupid the "leaders" are and the reason why should we should get rid to them NOW!
Disgusted

Honolulu, HI

#38 Jan 1, 2010
What a society, always placing blame. The system is broken due to changing values. Whining, everything for free. Do you expect a family living on the beach getting government assistance care about their children's education, Hell No! Blame the Pat Hamamoto. By the way, she contributed many years to her pension, she deserves her retirement.
COWARDS

Princeville, HI

#39 Jan 1, 2010
swannie wrote:
One of the reasons I supported a Constitutional Convention was to get rid of the State-wide school system. Get rid of a whole layer of bureaucrats and see if schools improve. For sure the present system is just getting worse.
i supported a CC too. but the unions and leaders (what leaders?) like hanabusa used scare tactics so that the public would vote against it. the CC would have cost money up front but in the long run, clean up house. education is one of those points. the schools should have a full voice and receive money directly. we don't need a stupidindendent nor a school board! it is wasteful and useless. this is why money trickles out and doesn't get to the teachers and students who really need it. i don't have kids and pay taxes but i do believe in education but if my taxes are wasted on layers of politics, don't come knocking on my door for more tax money! it's time to clean house. we don't need a replacement. we just need to overall the system starting at the top (chop chop). that includes the UH. get rid of greenwood first before you start threatening the teachers (faculty) who really are the ones making the difference!!!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#40 Jan 1, 2010
Disgusted wrote:
What a society, always placing blame. The system is broken due to changing values. Whining, everything for free. Do you expect a family living on the beach getting government assistance care about their children's education, Hell No! Blame the Pat Hamamoto. By the way, she contributed many years to her pension, she deserves her retirement.
No. The people of Hawaii were told to give her that money by law.
Disgusted

Honolulu, HI

#41 Jan 1, 2010
So true FreeLoaders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Keeping kids smiling - Business (Apr '09) Aug 15 yasmine zazi 4
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Aug 9 tongangodz 435
House cleared out/abandoned/evicted? On Paiwa Jul '17 Ohdamn 1
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Jun '17 Musikologist 12
News Witness recounts grim execution-style slaying -... (Oct '09) May '17 Joe Balls 23
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) May '17 Musikologist 20
News Every day an adventure for road test examiner -... (Mar '09) Jul '16 Jack 14

Pearl City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pearl City Mortgages