Lawyer contends baby death case was 'mishandled' - Hawaii News

The attorney for a 26-year-old Mililani woman charged with second-degree murder in the death of her 7-week-old nephew says police "mishandled" the case and that the infant had a pre-existing medical condition. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kanehi

Kailua, HI

#1 Jun 16, 2009
The infant was sleeping on the sofa and when she returned from using the bathroom the infant was found face down unresponsive on the floor. A 7 week infant is unable to turn himself yet so it's rather suspicous finding him on the floor! Something doesn't sound right! And a it takes a lot of force to detach a retina even for an infant. Should never leave a baby unattended even for a few seconds.
nanakulimama

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jun 16, 2009
Rush to judgement - maybe, but, how did this child get his injuries? Bruising, detached retinas...don't know but sounds like shaken baby syndrome. Besides, this child was 7 weeks old. Unless he was very gifted he couldn't even roll yet. Oh well, auntie, it's between you, God and your nephew. Only you 3 know the truth. If you harmed this child own up to it so you can get the help you so sorely need. If you didn't do this then my apologies for also rushing to judgement. Hopefully that ohana of yours can find some kind of peace and solace during this trying time. God bless little Maika and condolences to his ohana.
Fang

Honolulu, HI

#3 Jun 16, 2009
This attorney would defend the devil himself. I remember this patriot at rallies against the 1st Gulf War and in support of Saddam Hussein. I am sure Sadamm and Hitler wouldn't extend the same courtesy to Seitz and his kind. He comes off as Mr. Defender of injustice but his wallets are lined and he never served his country. Hang the baby killer first.
Trash Gordon

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jun 16, 2009
Seitz is just doing his job of telling the best lie possible that his client approves of. He figures truth won't bring back the baby anyway.
beau toichi

Aiea, HI

#6 Jun 16, 2009
Fang what are you talking about Seitz is the the devil! Seitz should be crawling on his belly like the snake that he is!
Shareholder

Kaneohe, HI

#7 Jun 16, 2009
I wouldn't believe the scumbag lawyer either.
mynah

Kailua Kona, HI

#8 Jun 16, 2009
yep the baby was mishandled, but not by the police.
alice

Los Altos, CA

#9 Jun 16, 2009
Trash Gordon wrote:
Seitz is just doing his job of telling the best lie possible that his client approves of. He figures truth won't bring back the baby anyway.
seitz is just playing out his scene.
foul play

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jun 16, 2009
SOMEONE is guilty.

Maika stayed alive the whole time he was supervised.
Immediately after being abandoned, he dies.

I am a pediatrician, and I can assure you that:

1) LACK OF SUPERVISION is NOT A KNOWN CAUSE of ACUTE RETINAL DETACHMENT or ACUTE INTRACRANIAL HEMORRHAGE.
I can't say what caused the trauma, but this PATTERN of injuries is clearly the result of sudden and violent acceleration/deceleration injuries.

2) In many years of clinical practice and seeing hundreds of infants, I have NEVER met a 7-week-old baby who could roll himself off a couch (back-to-front, then front-to-back)

SOMEONE needs to go to JAIL.

I say lock her up.
If she's truly not guilty, let the family member who's really responsible STEP FORWARD AND TAKE HER PLACE.

SHAME on whoever is lying about their role in Maika's tragic death.
no_need

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#11 Jun 16, 2009
all in the ohana, eh?

where does maika get the name lawelawe from? his uncle william? or another lawelawe relative?

"We don't know what happened," Seitz said."

yeah. you don't know what happened. so how can you say the cops were heavy handed in their investigation?
aaliyah

Kailua Kona, HI

#13 Jun 16, 2009
Saw the news report and saw Natalee's father, Sonny Westbrook, from Dog the Bounty Hunter. I wonder who posted her $150,000 bail, think I know now. Natalee must be in shock, because there was no emotion from her at all, at least, I hope it was shock and not lack of remorse.
ESW

Makawao, HI

#14 Jun 16, 2009
I can hear Seitz telling the woman their best chance is to blame the police on shotty gathering of evidence, never mind if you shook the baby, never mind you were on drugs and out of control, I can win this case if we go this route.
Sole

Kapaa, HI

#15 Jun 16, 2009
Something is not right. Story not adding up.
I think Nat was careless for leaving the baby on the couch, but sorry a 7 week old baby cannot role itself over. How did baby fall to the ground? I was trying to give nat the benefit of doubt. Ok so she say's shes innocent. All the injuries to baby maika how it happen. Someone is guility here for these injuries to this poor innocent baby boy. If not Nat then who? Someone better step up and tell the truth. If Nat is not guility likes shes claming and someone else in that family is guility than shame on you for letting her take the rap.

Someone is guility to the injuries that baby maika suffered. i don't believe you can get the injuries that he sufered just from falling off the couch. Come on who ever is gulity just fess up and give maika and his mom the justice they need. RIP BABY BOY.
wildman

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jun 16, 2009
Good day folks..As I had stated before in the past post..we can only assume and not judge...
Cicumstantial evidence cannot be accepted until it is acknowledged. Therefore, we can only assume that a; premedical condition accompanied by negligence may become a factor,but not a source to the cause of death by someone, Unless it is verified thru substantial evidence. b;past medical conditions and relative findings should be examined closely as to lenght of time. c;medical condition should had been produced to the officers at the time,not after the time of the incident. therefore,negiligence can become a factor, in regards to the parent's knowledge. These are just a small summary of fact findings. But in true reality, we can only assume.
RETIRED1

United States

#17 Jun 16, 2009
Lawyers are paid liars! Seitz allegations have no cedibility with me!
john

Honolulu, HI

#18 Jun 16, 2009
So now tell me how the hell can a 7 week old baby have retina detachement, brain injury and a hematoma bruise on his little head? Next bull c rap story Seitz will be saying is that the child was playing basketball in the house and jumping all over the sofa and fell hitting his head on the coffee table. Nata'lie/liar killed that baby and can sit there and not even feel an ounce of pain. Lock her sorry drug a s s up!! She is guilty as hell!
agile

Honolulu, HI

#19 Jun 16, 2009
foul play wrote:
SOMEONE is guilty.
Maika stayed alive the whole time he was supervised.
Immediately after being abandoned, he dies.
I am a pediatrician, and I can assure you that:
1) LACK OF SUPERVISION is NOT A KNOWN CAUSE of ACUTE RETINAL DETACHMENT or ACUTE INTRACRANIAL HEMORRHAGE.
I can't say what caused the trauma, but this PATTERN of injuries is clearly the result of sudden and violent acceleration/deceleration injuries.
>SOMEONE needs to go to JAIL.
I say lock her up.
If she's truly not guilty, let the family member who's really responsible STEP FORWARD AND TAKE HER PLACE.
SHAME on whoever is lying about their role in Maika's tragic death.
Thank you for this professional opinion from someone who knows from experience and training what is and what is not possible with respect to the reported injuries. Also wanted to mention that the doctor who made that evaluation will have to take time from his/her schedule to testify in court, a major inconvenience for the doc, so those observations are not made lightly. About 30 yrs ago I worked for a plastic surgeon on mainland. He told me that, although many docs see evidence of child abuse in ER, they intentionally don't report it because it takes time away from practice to testify in court. Thankfully, times have changed.
Mililani Girl

Honolulu, HI

#20 Jun 16, 2009
ESW wrote:
I can hear Seitz telling the woman their best chance is to blame the police on shotty gathering of evidence, never mind if you shook the baby, never mind you were on drugs and out of control, I can win this case if we go this route.
Be careful of what you say...she wasn't on drugs nor out of control.
Mililani Girl

Honolulu, HI

#21 Jun 16, 2009
no_need wrote:
all in the ohana, eh?
where does maika get the name lawelawe from? his uncle william? or another lawelawe relative?
"We don't know what happened," Seitz said."
yeah. you don't know what happened. so how can you say the cops were heavy handed in their investigation?
It doesn't matter where Maika got his last name from-it is irrevelent to the situation.
alice

Los Altos, CA

#23 Jun 16, 2009
wildman wrote:
Good day folks..As I had stated before in the past post..we can only assume and not judge...
Cicumstantial evidence cannot be accepted until it is acknowledged. Therefore, we can only assume that a; premedical condition accompanied by negligence may become a factor,but not a source to the cause of death by someone, Unless it is verified thru substantial evidence. b;past medical conditions and relative findings should be examined closely as to lenght of time. c;medical condition should had been produced to the officers at the time,not after the time of the incident. therefore,negiligence can become a factor, in regards to the parent's knowledge. These are just a small summary of fact findings. But in true reality, we can only assume.
I so appreciate wildman..he is wise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zara, Uniqlo actively looking at Hawaii retail ... Oct 19 Joe Balls 1
Honolulu police: No criminal case in sergeant a... Oct 15 Bakatari 5
79-year old charged for kidnapping and assault Oct 6 Senile Delinquent 2
do you think michelle c t the real estate agent... Sep '14 up yours 2
Shooting stays with officer for 20 years [The H... Sep '14 akamai 9
Bruce Milles (Sep '08) Sep '14 POLIAHU 41
Custodian denies sex assault on schoolboy, atto... Sep '14 District 1 2
Pearl City Dating
Find my Match

Pearl City Jobs

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pearl City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pearl City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]