The issue is not 'if' fireworks tragedy will occur, just 'when'...

I am outraged that this state and its lawmakers cannot come to terms with the issue of banning fireworks completely. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
racist

Anahola, HI

#44 Jan 6, 2010
Robert wrote:
racist
Mililani, HI
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#33 10 min ago
Doggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Safer? Tell that to the family whose two young kids were severely burned and are now in the burn unit at Straub! You idiot! BAN FIREWORKS NOW!
So why not ban guns too? Or for that matter cars, planes, toys, etc... etc... anything that can be a potential hazards. Talk about idiots - you carry illogic to the extreme!
I think in each situation where there is something potentially harzardous, one has to look at whether the good of it far outwighs the bad or not. SO in the case of fireworks, tobacco and alcohol there is an arguement to be had. For cars, planes and most toys I would argue that their practical uses weigh heavily on the good side.
Ahh, yes, another so-called logic! So you for/against gun control, abortion, capital punishment, etc...etc...etc...? I would argue that all these have a "practical" aspect to it, whether for or against. All I'm pointing out is that it's not as simplistic as "BAN FIREWORKS NOW". Actually I'm all for banning it!
fifty-five plus

Honolulu, HI

#45 Jan 6, 2010
It's time to stop this stupidity! The State is looking the "other way" at residents literally playing with "bombs".

These illegal fireworks are dangerous and more people are going to get hurt. Perhaps it's going to take the State or someone getting sued for gross negligence.
0007dude

Honolulu, HI

#46 Jan 6, 2010
Thank you Charlene. My wife and I saw a neighbor's dog jump to it's death out of fear of the "bombs" going off on Christmas Eve. The poor fellow went crazy in his yard and leaped a fence only to break his neck between two stone walls. People of Hawaii please stop this unneccessary madness. There are much better ways to celebrate. Please!
JUST AN ADDICT

Aiea, HI

#48 Jan 6, 2010
Jerry Okamura wrote:
Can someone always find a good reason to take away our freedoms? When is it okay to restrict or take away our freedoms? When we lose some of our freedoms, will we ever get any of them back? How important are our freedoms? Will someone at some future date wake up one day and ask those of us who preoeeded them, why didn't you fight to preserve our freedoms? Why did you place such a low value on our freedoms, to take them away from us?
Jerry my main man, you are not much of a constitutional scholar and more specifically, the 5th amendment. In the 5th amendment, this “Freedom” you speak of is referred to as “Liberty.” Simply put, our democratic process is charged with deciding where one individual's liberty ends, and where the next individual's liberty begins. This authority is necessary if a society is to flourish.

What is happening here is that the “Fireworks Lovers” feel banning fireworks would trample on their liberty. On the other hand, those who oppose unchecked fireworks use feel that allowing all this illegal fireworks use is infringing on their liberty.

Just curious Jerry, how do you feel about the “leash Law”? Do you think people should have the freedom to let their dogs run free anytime anywhere?
Patriot

Honolulu, HI

#49 Jan 7, 2010
"And the rockets red glare the bomb bursting in air". Comon people, this is the American way.
No one

Wailuku, HI

#50 Jan 7, 2010
Cars don't kill people, knives don't kill people, fireworks don't kill people.... People kill people. You people think that banning things solve everything
No one

Wailuku, HI

#51 Jan 7, 2010
Wait... howmany alcohol related deaths an abuse do we have? Howmany firework deaths are there? I got it!!! Ban alcohol!! That's it!! < sarcasm
Joan of Arc

Hilo, HI

#52 Jan 7, 2010
Crystal meth is illegal but that hasn't stopped the ice problem in Hawaii. A total ban on fireworks will never work. Besides, more people are killed and maimed in motor vehicle accidents involving alcohol.
Manapua Man

AOL

#53 Jan 7, 2010
Move to the mainland, Charlene!!!!!!!!
voice of the real people

Mililani, HI

#54 Jan 7, 2010
Why worry about terrorists when you have your neighborhood derelicts blowing everything up. Well seems many in government have their hands in the fireworks profit pot.
voice of the real people

Mililani, HI

#55 Jan 7, 2010
Patriot wrote:
"And the rockets red glare the bomb bursting in air". Comon people, this is the American way.
Patriot, get real, maybe if a bomb burst in front you and put you airborne then you would really feel free dumb ring huh duh? American, nope not in the rest of the 49 states will you find fireworks like here in Hawaii.
kai

Chicago, IL

#56 Jan 7, 2010
Patriot wrote:
Fireworks are prohibited by federal law.
kai

Chicago, IL

#57 Jan 7, 2010
Here is an example of the intelligence of those shooting fireworks.

They have their own pictures on Y*o*u*t*u*b*e.
No one

United States

#59 Jan 7, 2010
kai wrote:
Here is an example of the intelligence of those shooting fireworks.
They have their own pictures on Y*o*u*t*u*b*e.
yeah if you solely base your opinions on Y*o*u*t*u*b*e. You should also check out keywords like Hawaii alcohol, Hawaii fights there gov
racist

Anahola, HI

#60 Jan 7, 2010
racist wrote:
<quoted text>
One more thing - how do you know that the parents weren't responsible for putting the kids in harms way to begin with. Why not ban these idiotic parents too - I'm sure you probably fit the bill too.
HA! HA! As I said, BAN THE IDIOTS first!
racist

Anahola, HI

#61 Jan 7, 2010
voice of the real people wrote:
<quoted text>
Patriot, get real, maybe if a bomb burst in front you and put you airborne then you would really feel free dumb ring huh duh? American, nope not in the rest of the 49 states will you find fireworks like here in Hawaii.
That's because dumb haoles are a small minority here!
Kirk

Fairport, NY

#62 Jan 7, 2010
Very sorry to hear about the health issues Charlene.

I strongly feel that a better solution is to have "designated fireworks discharge areas." Somewhere rural- away from the population and away from a fire danger.(Sandy Beach, dry lake bed, large parking lot) This idea is being implemented in other parts of the US.

Banning an American Tradition is NEVER the answer. Cars,gas stations and chemicals are dangerous also. Should we ban them because an accident might happen?
leeward lolo

Chicago, IL

#63 Jan 7, 2010
No one wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah if you solely base your opinions on Y*o*u*t*u*b*e. You should also check out keywords like Hawaii alcohol, Hawaii fights there gov
Hawaii fights there gov where, what gov are we fighting? duh

Gotta check out these key words.
leeward lolo

Chicago, IL

#64 Jan 7, 2010
Kirk wrote:
Very sorry to hear about the health issues Charlene.
I strongly feel that a better solution is to have "designated fireworks discharge areas." Somewhere rural- away from the population and away from a fire danger.(Sandy Beach, dry lake bed, large parking lot) This idea is being implemented in other parts of the US.
Banning an American Tradition is NEVER the answer. Cars,gas stations and chemicals are dangerous also. Should we ban them because an accident might happen?
For those of you who were not on Oahu new year's eve, check out

y*o*u*t*u*b*e waipahu fireworks, December 31, 2009. First minute is explanation/background. The remainder is what we are forced to live with usually on a small scale, all winter.

Then tell me where and when this became an American Tradition.
In Iraq, Vietnam, Afghanistan. Kuwait????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Dec 9 Joe Balls 565
Popeyes opening sixth Hawaii location next month Dec 7 Joe Balls 12
A welcome opening of Iroquois Point beach (Mar '08) Nov '14 Guru 60
!!!A Huge Breakout of Micronesian Talent Set to... Nov '14 Micro_Stompa 1
2 chains limit bulk rice purchases (Jul '08) Nov '14 Joe Balls 4
Car Towing scam Nov '14 Stypmann 1
HPD officer charged in domestic abuse Oct '14 Joe Balls 1
Pearl City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pearl City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pearl City News, Events & Info