The issue is not 'if' fireworks trage...

The issue is not 'if' fireworks tragedy will occur, just 'when'...

There are 59 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 6, 2010, titled The issue is not 'if' fireworks tragedy will occur, just 'when'.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

I am outraged that this state and its lawmakers cannot come to terms with the issue of banning fireworks completely.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

alice

United States

#24 Jan 6, 2010
ban them..duh!
Robert

Honolulu, HI

#25 Jan 6, 2010
zat wrote:
The "right" person of importance has to be critically injured or die before these politians will do anything proactive.
You are probably right however perhaps to push things along faster lets just set off the illegal aerials near the homes of our state government leaders every night until they get the message.
alice

United States

#26 Jan 6, 2010
alice wrote:
ban them..duh!
and ban the mokes who toss them
alice

United States

#27 Jan 6, 2010
alice wrote:
ban them..duh!
yup
mokulele

Honolulu, HI

#28 Jan 6, 2010
The Department of Health needs to disect the contents of the smoke to show just what is in there. We know there is no quality control in China. Why should they care what pollutes our air. Let's make 2010 the year the fireworks insanity ends for good. We know the illegals come in at the end of summer so let's see some major busts.
I think we will be surprised at just who brings the illegals in.
HHC

Mililani, HI

#29 Jan 6, 2010
Snivel drivel.
alice

United States

#30 Jan 6, 2010
ban these ridiculous weapons
Nativeboy

Honolulu, HI

#31 Jan 6, 2010
Yes it is only a matter of time before some kid consumes so much alcohol that they die of blood poisoning, OH WAIT! that already happened.

It is only a matter of time before some teenager gets drunk and plows his truck into a pole killing him and his passengers OH WAIT that already happened.

It is only a matter of time before some guy gets drunk and beats the tar out of his wife and kids OH WAIT that happens all day long, everyday.

It is only a matter of time before they connect the people who were injured by fireworks and the people who abuse them to the people who are abusing alcohol to the sane sober people who light fireworks safely and are never injured.

Lay off fireworks and focus
LLWfan

Kihei, HI

#32 Jan 6, 2010
Nativeboy wrote:
Yes it is only a matter of time before some kid consumes so much alcohol that they die of blood poisoning, OH WAIT! that already happened.
It is only a matter of time before some teenager gets drunk and plows his truck into a pole killing him and his passengers OH WAIT that already happened.
It is only a matter of time before some guy gets drunk and beats the tar out of his wife and kids OH WAIT that happens all day long, everyday.
It is only a matter of time before they connect the people who were injured by fireworks and the people who abuse them to the people who are abusing alcohol to the sane sober people who light fireworks safely and are never injured.
Why don't you focus, people are sick of illegal fireworks and people lighting it any day of the year. Maybe I should type slower for you.... P...e.....o....p....l.....e a.....r....e s.....i....c.....k...... o....f......

go back to school you need it....
racist

San Diego, CA

#33 Jan 6, 2010
Doggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Safer? Tell that to the family whose two young kids were severely burned and are now in the burn unit at Straub! You idiot! BAN FIREWORKS NOW!
So why not ban guns too? Or for that matter cars, planes, toys, etc... etc... anything that can be a potential hazards. Talk about idiots - you carry illogic to the extreme!
racist

San Diego, CA

#34 Jan 6, 2010
Doggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Safer? Tell that to the family whose two young kids were severely burned and are now in the burn unit at Straub! You idiot! BAN FIREWORKS NOW!
One more thing - how do you know that the parents weren't responsible for putting the kids in harms way to begin with. Why not ban these idiotic parents too - I'm sure you probably fit the bill too.
racist

San Diego, CA

#35 Jan 6, 2010
OnlyForFighter wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't mind me shooting my 9mm in the air above your house then and letting the bullets come down with gravity through your roof? We live in the same zipcode...I can come if you like. I'm in Mauka...how about you? I just don't get why we really need to light our own fireworks anymore for "good luck". When you lit yours last year, was 2009 good for you, or were you feeling some of that recession and a pinch in your wallet? So much for good luck, eh?
????? Are you st....d or what? By the way, I don't buy or use fireworks! Only thing I light up is small pea-brained idiots like you.
Nativeboy

Honolulu, HI

#36 Jan 6, 2010
"
Nativeboy wrote:

Why don't you focus, people are sick of illegal fireworks and people lighting it any day of the year. Maybe I should type slower for you.... P...e.....o....p....l.....e a.....r....e s.....i....c.....k...... o....f......

go back to school you need it.... "

Not all people are "sick of" fireworks. That is evident by yearly increased sales and permits. even in this bad economy.

If you want to live someplace where they are banned move to Virgina, I am sure they would love to have you.
Robert

Honolulu, HI

#37 Jan 6, 2010
racist
Mililani, HI
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#33 10 min ago
Doggie wrote:
<quoted text>
So why not ban guns too? Or for that matter cars, planes, toys, etc... etc... anything that can be a potential hazards. Talk about idiots - you carry illogic to the extreme!
I think in each situation where there is something potentially harzardous, one has to look at whether the good of it far outwighs the bad or not. SO in the case of fireworks, tobacco and alcohol there is an arguement to be had. For cars, planes and most toys I would argue that their practical uses weigh heavily on the good side.
Local fisherman

Waipahu, HI

#38 Jan 6, 2010
Peter wrote:
Senator Espero, listen up! We don't want more regulation, we don't want more inspections in the harbors at the expense of "just in time" delivery service, we don't want more taxpayer funded inspectors looking for fireworks...we want fireworks banned because you, the Legislature, the ultimate regulators, have not figured out how to solve this problem. The populace has, but you got to want to listen to us: BAN FIREWORKS. Only official government authorized shows at New Years and Fourth of July. Everyone else gets arrested, plain and simple.
If fireworks are totally banned, you're going to need inspectors to make sure they're not being transported. Legislators can only create laws. What's needed after that are people who can effectively enforce the laws.

And that's the problem we're facing in many areas. Insufficient enforcement.

With the current ban on aerials and large fireworks, illegal fireworks haven't been controlled at all. The only way to possibly get any kind of enforcement is via a neighborhood watch program. Everyone has to be willing to watch their neighbors and report infractions.

Without that kind of vigilance and a willingness to follow through in court, forget it. Because the cops can't be everywhere.
SaintNick

Honolulu, HI

#39 Jan 6, 2010
The silent local majority is very much against efforts to restrict the sensible use of fireworks on the few special days we celebrate, such as New Year.
If there is to be any kind of enforcement, it should be targeted at smokers who constantly ignore Hawaii’s Smoke-Free Law, e.g., at bus stops, etc. Operators of stereo-boom cars and mopeds with modified mufflers should also be cited for noise pollution and disturbing the peace.
alice

United States

#40 Jan 6, 2010
ban them!
Snap cracle Pop

Herndon, VA

#41 Jan 6, 2010
Alice has worms.
LLWfan

Kihei, HI

#42 Jan 6, 2010
Nativeboy wrote:
"
Nativeboy wrote:
go back to school you need it.... "
Not all people are "sick of" fireworks. That is evident by yearly increased sales and permits. even in this bad economy.
If you want to live someplace where they are banned move to Virgina, I am sure they would love to have you.
I stay born and raised better yet why don't you move, and take all the thug wannabees with you who like to set off bombs. Don't you know how to read 2 kids are victims fighting for their lives because of fireworks. It's already out of hand with the abuse and no more respect for your neighbors. If HPD and the Fire Dept. want a ban what does that tell you about the situation? I think you popped some brain cells. That's not how I grew up in Hawaii, no more class!!! And that why you no move is so played out it makes you look like a total idiot. What you own the islands? the air we breathe?
Robin Hood

Honolulu, HI

#43 Jan 6, 2010
Sheesh, already had the lady in Halawa a couple years back whose house got hit, and burned and she died in it. The question is who else has to die?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aiea Jukebox (Jun '12) Apr '18 Musikologist 21
News Police seek Waipahu bank robber Apr '18 Joe Balls 4
News Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawai... (Oct '09) Mar '18 Fake news 575
News Police shoot suspected car thief who allegedly ... Feb '18 District 1 7
News Police search for man suspected in successive r... (Oct '17) Oct '17 American_Infidel 1
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Jun '17 Musikologist 12
News Every day an adventure for road test examiner -... (Mar '09) Jul '16 Jack 14

Pearl City Jobs

Personal Finance

Pearl City Mortgages