The issue is not 'if' fireworks trage...

The issue is not 'if' fireworks tragedy will occur, just 'when'...

There are 59 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 6, 2010, titled The issue is not 'if' fireworks tragedy will occur, just 'when'.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

I am outraged that this state and its lawmakers cannot come to terms with the issue of banning fireworks completely.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Von

Aiea, HI

#1 Jan 6, 2010
Their still shooting fireworks where I live. The reason public officials don’t care is because their busy shooting fireworks. I saw a pack of fireworks someplace for $300.00
and I thought we were in a recession?

I can’t help you Charlene, but I sure do agree with you just the same.

Don't expect changes any time soon.
zat

Waipahu, HI

#2 Jan 6, 2010
The "right" person of importance has to be critically injured or die before these politians will do anything proactive.
Honolulu Resident

Ewa Beach, HI

#3 Jan 6, 2010
It is just a matter of time before an explosion of these "innocent" playthings blows an airplane out of the sky. Let's hope it is not a local interisland plane being used by local "terrorists" to transport their wares to another Island.
Fact Finder

Ewa Beach, HI

#4 Jan 6, 2010
Yes, they are terrorists because they strike terror in the minds and souls, hearts and bodies of innocents with their homemade bombs. Shame on those who think the so-called fireworks are fun. They are BOMBS, and they scare the hell out of people that they terrorize.
leeward lolo

Elgin, IL

#5 Jan 6, 2010
The first minute of this is background then shows what is forced upon us here on Oahu. It is unbelieveable that this is "Paradise." Also more than 3 were transported to hospitals with injuries New Years eve.

At this point we need federal help. ATF website states that all fireworks are illegal and those with them can be prosecuted.

Also nobody mentions that after seeing this video few tourists would visit here during the holidays.
leeward lolo

Elgin, IL

#6 Jan 6, 2010
Link will not go through today.

Try youtube, Waipahu Fireworks, December 31, 2009.

leeward lolo

Elgin, IL

#7 Jan 6, 2010
y*o*u*t*u*b*e is evidently not to be shown here.

You know how to find it.
alice

United States

#8 Jan 6, 2010
zat wrote:
The "right" person of importance has to be critically injured or die before these politians will do anything proactive.
well said
Peter

Honolulu, HI

#9 Jan 6, 2010
Senator Espero, listen up! We don't want more regulation, we don't want more inspections in the harbors at the expense of "just in time" delivery service, we don't want more taxpayer funded inspectors looking for fireworks...we want fireworks banned because you, the Legislature, the ultimate regulators, have not figured out how to solve this problem. The populace has, but you got to want to listen to us: BAN FIREWORKS. Only official government authorized shows at New Years and Fourth of July. Everyone else gets arrested, plain and simple.
OnlyForFighter

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jan 6, 2010
One day, terrorists will realize the American's love of fireworks and plot to replace aerial type fireworks with actual ground explosives. Think of all the deaths that will take place when one of those "bombs" that we heard over the new year detonates at ground level because it is a true explosive device. Then multiply that by the number of households setting off these illegal fireworks. I think that will make for massive hysteria. At least the police will have an easier time finding the culprits.
Jerry Okamura

Lihue, HI

#11 Jan 6, 2010
Can someone always find a good reason to take away our freedoms? When is it okay to restrict or take away our freedoms? When we lose some of our freedoms, will we ever get any of them back? How important are our freedoms? Will someone at some future date wake up one day and ask those of us who preoeeded them, why didn't you fight to preserve our freedoms? Why did you place such a low value on our freedoms, to take them away from us?
racist

San Diego, CA

#12 Jan 6, 2010
Fact Finder wrote:
Yes, they are terrorists because they strike terror in the minds and souls, hearts and bodies of innocents with their homemade bombs. Shame on those who think the so-called fireworks are fun. They are BOMBS, and they scare the hell out of people that they terrorize.
Don't you think it's a lot safer than some white country hicks shooting off their guns during celebrations?
racist

San Diego, CA

#13 Jan 6, 2010
OnlyForFighter wrote:
One day, terrorists will realize the American's love of fireworks and plot to replace aerial type fireworks with actual ground explosives. Think of all the deaths that will take place when one of those "bombs" that we heard over the new year detonates at ground level because it is a true explosive device. Then multiply that by the number of households setting off these illegal fireworks. I think that will make for massive hysteria. At least the police will have an easier time finding the culprits.
Oh give me a fricking break. You think act of terrorism needs a celebratory event to succeed?
Doggie

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jan 6, 2010
racist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you think it's a lot safer than some white country hicks shooting off their guns during celebrations?
Safer? Tell that to the family whose two young kids were severely burned and are now in the burn unit at Straub! You idiot! BAN FIREWORKS NOW!
Disgusted

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jan 6, 2010
I totally agree with this editorial. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that fireworks is a hazard to our community. We just don't have the right people representing us in making our laws. The ones in office have NO BALLS!

When are they going to step up to the plate and ban fireworks completely? We've waited for years! C'mon get off your asses and do the right thing!
Traditional Explosions

Ewa Beach, HI

#17 Jan 6, 2010
What if Obama and his security staff said that Hawaii is too dangerous a place to bring his kids for the Holidays- and wouldn't be coming back next year because of all the loud explosions...

"It's no longer the Hawaii I remember as a kid", said the President. "We're not coming back".

The entire legislature, plus Muffy, Amby, Porky and the rest would be rushing out with a new law banning "dangerous fireworks" by that same day.

They would all be having press conferences telling everyone how they "agree" and will put an immediate stop to it...Blah, Blah, Blah!

So just SAY IT, Obama, so our lame half-wit legislatures do something intelligent for a change.
geez

Honolulu, HI

#18 Jan 6, 2010
Jerry Okamura wrote:
Can someone always find a good reason to take away our freedoms? When is it okay to restrict or take away our freedoms? When we lose some of our freedoms, will we ever get any of them back? How important are our freedoms? Will someone at some future date wake up one day and ask those of us who preoeeded them, why didn't you fight to preserve our freedoms? Why did you place such a low value on our freedoms, to take them away from us?
What are you talking about Jerry?! Blasting off Bombs have nothing to do with freedoms!!!
leeward

Elgin, IL

#20 Jan 6, 2010
Traditional Explosions wrote:
What if Obama and his security staff said that Hawaii is too dangerous a place to bring his kids for the Holidays- and wouldn't be coming back next year because of all the loud explosions...
"It's no longer the Hawaii I remember as a kid", said the President. "We're not coming back".
The entire legislature, plus Muffy, Amby, Porky and the rest would be rushing out with a new law banning "dangerous fireworks" by that same day.
They would all be having press conferences telling everyone how they "agree" and will put an immediate stop to it...Blah, Blah, Blah!
So just SAY IT, Obama, so our lame half-wit legislatures do something intelligent for a change.
Since Chicago is his home state, he may be used to it.
Plus he has secret service, coast guard, military and HPO(lol) protecting his area.
OnlyForFighter

Honolulu, HI

#22 Jan 6, 2010
racist wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh give me a fricking break. You think act of terrorism needs a celebratory event to succeed?
So you don't mind me shooting my 9mm in the air above your house then and letting the bullets come down with gravity through your roof? We live in the same zipcode...I can come if you like. I'm in Mauka...how about you? I just don't get why we really need to light our own fireworks anymore for "good luck". When you lit yours last year, was 2009 good for you, or were you feeling some of that recession and a pinch in your wallet? So much for good luck, eh?
Change Once Someone Dies

Honolulu, HI

#23 Jan 6, 2010
Some kid here will die in the future from fireworks - then and only then will our lawmakers do anything. Sad, but true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Elevated argument - Hawaii News (May '09) May '16 District 1 2,572
News Farmers Markets Apr '16 District 1 1
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Apr '16 haoleboy 431
News Bruce Milles (Sep '08) Feb '16 Poliahu 42
News 43 caught in raid (Jul '08) Feb '16 Lysol 4 351
News Witness recounts grim execution-style slaying -... (Oct '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 21
News Hawaii groups want to turn ship into shelter - ... (Sep '07) Dec '15 Joe Balls 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pearl City Mortgages