Thief picks up car's keys and speeds ...

Thief picks up car's keys and speeds away - Hawaii News

There are 125 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 22, 2009, titled Thief picks up car's keys and speeds away - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

"The next thing you know, it was gone," said Justin, who asked his last name not be published.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

highway man

Honolulu, HI

#21 Dec 22, 2009
Why is Kalihi always used to denote "reverse status"? If you're from Kalihi, you're local, one of the guys, not rich. Politicians like to say, "I'm just a local kid from Kalihi", meaning that they're regular folk. Why can't you be "just a local kid from Hawaii Kai"?.

What if the article read, "We're from Hawaii Kai, we're not rich people". Can't you be poor and live in Hawaii Kai? Sure you can. Can you be rich and live in Kalihi? From all the Mercedes and BMWs and Lexus cars there, I guess you can.
alice

United States

#22 Dec 22, 2009
Sorry..I prefer a date from Portlock/Hawaii Kai to one from Kalihihi. I value life, liberty and intelligence hon
hhhmmmm

Honolulu, HI

#23 Dec 22, 2009
CWD wrote:
"How is it possible that someone can figure out what car in the parking match the keys? I can't even find my own car in the parking lot. Was he being stalked or it was someone who knows him?"
Re-read the story - according to the security video, the thief pushed a button on the key ring that flashes the lights when he found the right car.
Wish I had something similar, but 1988 Toyota Camrys didn't come with those amenities back then.
~~~~~~~~
I'm the suspicious sort.
Did the thief assume the car could be found by the flashing lights?
Did he just get lucky?
Did the key loser not have his own vehicle?
I'd investigate for insurance fraud.
That's why I say:
"How much was the car insured for?"
~
If I sat my keys on a counter, I'd KNOW if someone picked them up.
All I'm saying is investigate every angle.
Realist

Waianae, HI

#24 Dec 22, 2009
Does anyone think that McDonald's should put the fish sandwich on the dollar menu?
Realist

Waianae, HI

#25 Dec 22, 2009
I think that would be nice...how about any of you?
Als Bar and Grill

AOL

#26 Dec 22, 2009
Not rich but driving a BMW!!!!!!!! All show and no go!!!!!!!!
Downtown LB rbns

Torrance, CA

#27 Dec 22, 2009
Another day in paradise.
what

Waimanalo, HI

#28 Dec 22, 2009
The thief's own car was probably still in the Walmart parking lot. He probably had to have a friend drive him back so he could pick it up.
LOL

Kihei, HI

#29 Dec 22, 2009
Realist wrote:
Does anyone think that McDonald's should put the fish sandwich on the dollar menu?
The only way they'd do that would be if the fish were tilapia from Kapalama Canal.
WWAD

Kailua, HI

#30 Dec 22, 2009
alice wrote:
i had my brain stolen...dangerous out there
Be on the lookout for alice's brain. It is very tiny, so please take care not to step on it.
WWAD

Kailua, HI

#31 Dec 22, 2009
alice wrote:
dangerous out there with people like alice around... too bad she doesn't stay inside the hospital where she belongs
siiiiiiiiiiiiigh
Dumb Bases

Pearl City, HI

#32 Dec 22, 2009
Delima:

A Young kid wearing basketball shorts, borrows a beat up 12 year old car from 16 year old friend from Kalihi who works at fast food place, goes shopping at Wal-mart and misplaces the keys due to a lack of pockets in said basketball shorts. Someone picks up the misplaced keys, pushes button on key to locate car in parking lot, steals car, drives off in new found car, passes by the rightful owner, who is waiting for first kid to pick him up from work.

Response from you morons:

The Kalihi kids are punks and must be drug dealers to be able to afford a car which probably sells for less than 2 grand.

Fact:

The car thief is the villian here not the working kid that managed to get a ragged out status symbol.

You idiots have too much time on your hands to be disparaging working kids.
TVMAN

United States

#33 Dec 22, 2009
satch7 wrote:
I would like to know how could his fiance's 16 yr. old brother afford to purchase a BMW even though its 12 yrs. old working at Taco Bell??
My thoughts exactly. If they're not rich, how can hey afford Beemer even if it's an old one?
Von

Aiea, HI

#34 Dec 22, 2009
Does anyone know how the suspect found the car so fast?

As I didn't see anyone else post this so I will take a shot.

All the suspect has to do is push the alarm button on the key chain until he hears the car's alarm go off and then that's the car.

Yet somehow I just don't believe this story. You know its Christmas time and people do need money so the car owner maybe faked it and then filed claim with his insurance company for extra money.

Very elementary.
LOL

Kihei, HI

#35 Dec 22, 2009
Von wrote:
Does anyone know how the suspect found the car so fast?
As I didn't see anyone else post this so I will take a shot.
All the suspect has to do is push the alarm button on the key chain until he hears the car's alarm go off and then that's the car.
Yet somehow I just don't believe this story. You know its Christmas time and people do need money so the car owner maybe faked it and then filed claim with his insurance company for extra money.
Very elementary.
Did you read the article? The car headlights were flashing as da guy pressed the remote and looked for the car. Why would he press the alarm button and draw attention to himself? Glad to know you don't have "thief" sense. I feel safe around you.
Hello

Hilo, HI

#36 Dec 22, 2009
"Police Auto Theft Detail Lt. James Strickland said the crime is uncommon since it's one of opportunity."

Car theft uncommon? are you kidding? finding the car is what is uncommon.
Von

Aiea, HI

#37 Dec 22, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the article? The car headlights were flashing as da guy pressed the remote and looked for the car. Why would he press the alarm button and draw attention to himself? Glad to know you don't have "thief" sense. I feel safe around you.
Sorry I did not see that part.:)

Thanks for informing me.
WWAD

Kailua, HI

#38 Dec 22, 2009
Hello wrote:
"Police Auto Theft Detail Lt. James Strickland said the crime is uncommon since it's one of opportunity."
Car theft uncommon? are you kidding? finding the car is what is uncommon.
Aren't all crimes "one of opportunity"? A thief sees an opportunity and goes for it. How else can you refer to a crime except "one of opportunity"?
Now we know why it's so rare to recover a car with brilliant thinking like that.
If you really want to catch a car thief just drive down Kamehameha Highway on the North Shore late at night, it seems that's where all the "parts recovery" occurs; right out in plain sight!

Since: Dec 09

United States

#39 Dec 22, 2009
A '97 BMWi?? How the heck does a 16 year old afford that (plus insurance)??? I'm sure Taco Bell doesn't pay that well.
And putting your keys (wallet/cellphone/anything of value)down on a store counter is just nuts! What are these people thinking? Ohhhhh, they're not.
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#40 Dec 22, 2009
My friend's son is selling the same year and model hooptie in Maile for $600 OBO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearl City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iroquois Point Music Thread (Aug '16) Sep 9 Musikologist 4
News Keeping kids smiling - Business (Apr '09) Aug '17 yasmine zazi 4
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Aug '17 tongangodz 435
House cleared out/abandoned/evicted? On Paiwa Jul '17 Ohdamn 1
Pearl City Music Forum (Dec '12) Jun '17 Musikologist 12
News Witness recounts grim execution-style slaying -... (Oct '09) May '17 Joe Balls 23
News Every day an adventure for road test examiner -... (Mar '09) Jul '16 Jack 14

Pearl City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pearl City Mortgages