How to save dollars on welfare
I miss Reagan

Pembroke, VA

#41 Sep 10, 2012
Good Grief wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall better than you,apparently.Our utilities didn't skyrocket until they were deregulated in the Reagan era.We should have kept the Energy Dept. Carter tried to negotiate a hostage release,but they wouldn't work with him,as soon as Reagan was sworn in the miracle happened.It was well known at the time that the whole thing was dragged out to make Carter look bad.The Arabs wanted a Republican president,they didn't want us looking for alternative energy sources.OPEC wanted us dependant on their oil.Which is what they got with the abolishment of the Energy Department. Embargoes were placed on OPEC countries because of the oil shortage during the Carter administration.We didn't need another war at the time.
I wish we still had Ronald Reagan in the White House
Really

Clearwater, FL

#42 Sep 10, 2012
lollers wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, he's cleaning up a mess the previous party has created. Yes, the number of people on food stamps is up. However, more people were placed on food stamps under the Bush Administration than Obama.
His policies? You do realize that had he not passed a stimulus bill that we would be in a DEPRESSION, rather than a RECESSION. I would say that worked, but the man can't work miracles yet. He's investing in the long haul, something Americans are too short sighted to understand. Especially those in this area.
So, yes. Food prices have went up. Why? This:
The price spike is explained through a number of dynamics. First, farmers have diverted more resources to growing crops for biofuels, such as ethanol made from corn and biodiesel made from palm oil. This is for fuel! Fuel is a big problem. We divert MILLIONS of bushels to creating fuels, whereas 10 years ago we did not. This places strain when the competition for crop prices goes up.
That, and many nations have endured severe droughts and flood (because of CLIMATE CHANGE that the REPUBLICANS adamantly DENY although nearly 99% of SCIENTISTS agree EXISTS) which causes issues with supply and demand.
Those are two reasons in many that cause food prices to go up.
So what do we do?
First we need to invest in alternative energy. Another fuel source. Electric, solar, pixie dust, whatever! The prices of fuel go up, the prices of EVERYTHING go up. We can't keep just drilling for oil expecting it to be okay. We need to cast a wide net.
Secondly, we need to invest in education. So many people think that a blue collar job will be just fine, when in fact, it will not. We need to get over ourselves and realize that the more educated we are, the better our nation will be in the long run.
Wars. We do NOT need to be overseas fighting these wars, nor giving aid to these countries who hide our enemies, and get our troops blown up. We are not fighting an incredible evil that has any chance of toppling us. We need to pull out, let OUR country spend ITS money on OUR PEOPLE. Cut the defense budget in half. No one is going to fuck with us. We're America!
Lastly, we just need to work together. It used to be compromise and the betterment of the american dream. Now its down to people complaining that others need help, while they work so hard. I believe you guys...that you work hard. But some people lack the skills, knowledge, of physical well being to actually get out there and support themselves. Yes, the welfare state should not be unending. But we do need compassion for our fellow man.
At the end of the day, we're still Americans. Remember, a country divided cannot stand. In the days of Lincoln, it was about war. Now its about the polarity of our ideas.
You say we need to invest in education, but what good is throwing money at a problem that starts at home? If the parents don't care about their children's education then the children won't care!!Teachers cannot force students to do their homework, to study for a test or to even show up for school each day. Teachers cannot prevent students from dropping out. These things are up to the parents! You cannot educate a person who doesn't want to be educated. When schools have to start paying students to attend school things have gotten too far gone.

Welfare rewards people for making poor life choices. It encourages irresponsibility. If a child is raised on welfare there is a very, very good chance they will receive welfare as an adult. Welfare has created a cycle of dependency that goes on for generations. People who receive welfare have more children than those of us who work to support ours. They also have more children out of wedlock. Over 80% of children born out of wedlock are born courtesy of Medicaid(the tax payers). Our country is running out of money to support these people. Too many takers and not enough givers.

Since: Jul 10

Narrows

#43 Sep 10, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You say we need to invest in education, but what good is throwing money at a problem that starts at home? If the parents don't care about their children's education then the children won't care!!Teachers cannot force students to do their homework, to study for a test or to even show up for school each day. Teachers cannot prevent students from dropping out. These things are up to the parents! You cannot educate a person who doesn't want to be educated. When schools have to start paying students to attend school things have gotten too far gone.
Welfare rewards people for making poor life choices. It encourages irresponsibility. If a child is raised on welfare there is a very, very good chance they will receive welfare as an adult. Welfare has created a cycle of dependency that goes on for generations. People who receive welfare have more children than those of us who work to support ours. They also have more children out of wedlock. Over 80% of children born out of wedlock are born courtesy of Medicaid(the tax payers). Our country is running out of money to support these people. Too many takers and not enough givers.
Where do you get the idea that parents don't care?Parents are working and very few moms are home anymore.When the parents get home,it can take up to three hours to get the homework done.Kids have to be taught all that should have been shown to them in school that day.The parents I know are struggling every day to work,keep house ,cook and teach a days worth of schooling to the kids in the evening.I am one of the grandparents who has had to go teach chidren in the evening to help out.
People wouldn't need medicaid for their hospital bills if they were paid a decent wage and doctors and hospitals didn't cost a fortune.Gotta go.
theworldisames

United States

#44 Sep 10, 2012
First and for most, most of you people who are posting posts wouldn't even be intelligent enough to fill out a legal document such as a food stamp appliaction. Yes, some people cheat the system, but what about the hard working, educated, single parents, such as myself. I work, attend college, plus provide for two children. Tell me if half of you can afford 145 dollars a week in daycare expenses, food, rent, gas, car payment, utilities, insurance, personal necessities all by yourself. The economy is bad, and jobs are hard to find. Obviously most of you have too much time on your hands, and she considering a job, or even opening up an English book. People like myself who are trying to succeed and not have to use govenment assistance get VERY LITTLE HELP( not to mention we all work and do say taxes), those who don't work and who deosnt try for a better future gets all the help. Now, explain to me is that our fault or the govenermnt. I was once told by social services that I couldn't get help with daycare (I had to pay 100 a month, my son went two days a week (12 a day) while I was working and going to college, so you figure the cost up, and actual how much social services was.mkaing because they didn'tpay until you.paid the first 100) unless I stayed at home collected tanif (a program I don't need). So , please enlighten me on your opinion now. Some may need to do reaserach on govermnet assistance before making assumptions.
lollers

Princeton, WV

#45 Sep 10, 2012
Investing in education is always a good idea. Knowledge = power. Yes, problems can start at home. But while they're in school, they're going to absorb SOME of that information. Maybe even change a life. Problems at home are not the black hole you imagine them to be. Yes, they are detrimental but not the end all be all of an issue.

Also, if they are failing repeatedly, and NOT showing up for school, social services step in. That changes the whole payout structure for welfare. Also, children are like SPONGES that have a biological NEED to absorb information. That statement that children do not want to learn is just hatefilled and ignorant. The adults, in this thread specifically, are unfortunately more inline with your beliefs. They're too stupid to think for themselves anymore.

Welfare does not reward anyone for making bad decisions. It keeps them alive. Are you pro-life? Then you can't really go against feeding the poor. Sure, we can let them die of starvation if you're not.

Also, stating that a child is on welfare is going to receive further welfare? Please state your source of proof, IDIOT! There are children whose parents are receiving assistance. They can NOT differentiate "welfare food" from "worked for the money food". Also, you are aware that the Presidents mother received welfare? Yeah, he turned out to be such a loser.

The rest of your comments appear to be religiously based. Out of wedlock does not equal poor and receiving medicaid. It means... not married. So what? It's income based. Not all jobs provide insurance, and those who do often do not provide insurance worth a shit. So instead, it's born, then their parents are saddled underneath massive medical bills that have to be paid, therefore becoming part of their bills which factors into...you guessed it! GOVERMENT ASSISTANCE!

Fact is, Jesus would dislike what most of you are saying. Whatever happened to loving your brother? It's gone. The republicans have appeared to be the "sensible" party. But no... they're a hatefilled illogical party hellbent on plunging us into a society where the rich own us all, and we smile along with it. You all need to realize the immeasurable harm you do to yourselves, this country, and our race.
I know

Princeton, WV

#46 Sep 10, 2012
Recent data confirms that the Obama-Pelosi $787 billion stimulus plan did not lift the US out of a depression.

In other words, the government could simply have cut a $100,000 check to everyone whose employment was allegedly made possible by the “stimulus,” and taxpayers would have come out $427 billion ahead.

And blue collar jobs is what built this country. another problem we have is to many Over-Educated people is this country its really simple you don't spend what you don't have my kid even gets that..
Ron Paul 2012
well then

Newport, VA

#47 Sep 10, 2012
Lets hear about financial aid for college. Anyone? Since most of you dumba$$es think helping those who need it is bad, is it ok to tell children "no you can't go to college to make something better because you can't afford it." I agree a better control is needed for the assistance but its such a good thing. I am a welfare kid, and now I have a great job along with my husband and 3 children. I pay for everything I own now so what was that one idiot sayin about growing up on welfare leads to being on welfare?
Lollers=briliant.
Obama2012
lollers

Princeton, WV

#48 Sep 11, 2012
I know wrote:
Recent data confirms that the Obama-Pelosi $787 billion stimulus plan did not lift the US out of a depression.
In other words, the government could simply have cut a $100,000 check to everyone whose employment was allegedly made possible by the “stimulus,” and taxpayers would have come out $427 billion ahead.
And blue collar jobs is what built this country. another problem we have is to many Over-Educated people is this country its really simple you don't spend what you don't have my kid even gets that..
Ron Paul 2012
You are somewhat correct. It did not lift us out of a depression. It stopped the recession from forming into a depression.

Also, there is no such thing as too many over educated people. That's just moronic.

And blue collar jobs did not build this country. Technically, it was a group of highly educated, highly skilled, and brave men who built this country. Those were our founding fathers.

Also, yes, we should not spend what we do not have. Problem is, we've been in the hole for awhile. Just think:

The US is a trailblazer in reinventing energy sources. We have some miracle breakthrough. Then the whole world looks to us for their energy needs! Then...we make bank. Our debt is settled. We veer into the future. We're back on top.

And... who is it investing in these technologies? I dont know...geez...THE PRESIDENT.
I know

Princeton, WV

#49 Sep 11, 2012
Yeah our educated people are so smart they cant even fix our country we feed our kids if you don't go to college you amount to nothing our education system is a joke and needs to be re built from the ground up.

Sorry but your President has accomplished nothing fixed anything and you still wont admit to his failed policy's.

80% of Green Energy loans went to Obama donors.
The FOX News analyst says 70% in the video but actually 80% of DOE dollars went to Obama backers. 19 of these green energy companies went bust.

And, it’s expensive.
Solar power is 35¢ per kilowatt compared to coal, gas and oil that costs 5¢ per kilowatt.
job seeker

Princeton, WV

#50 Sep 11, 2012
there were jobs close by that would hire me i wouldnt be recieving my stamps. most people view people that recieve help as bums. trade me places. i would love to work. but it seems like no1 wants to hire some1 that will work. yea,the system does need reformed. i could pass any drug test, not all people that recieve welfare has kids. im sick and tired of every month or so some1 gets a briar in their ass and wants to kick some1 while are already down. leave us alone thank you
TRUTH

Pembroke, VA

#51 Sep 11, 2012
lollers wrote:
So tell me, what do we for those who are in need? Do you think that those who are impoverished are just strain the the system? Every single one? I realize those who work for those things are annoyed that their tax dollars are "supposedly" going towards people sitting on their ass.
But it isnt just like that. I implore those who disagree to give us factual evidence that the policies for public assistance is a bad thing.
Truth is, the party who is against this tanked our economy. Before Bush went into office, things were much better for us all. Eight years or Republican policy put our country into economic freefall.
When Obama came into office, he had a mess to clean up. Because he did not clean it up fast enough, you people think we should re-empower those who put is in this mess to begin with! That is pure madness!
The things you hear in church, the things you hear on fox news, and the things that you see on the internet (on biased sites!) are lies! You people just need to realize that you are wrong, you can post no evidence, and YOU are the strain on our society. If you don't like helping those in need, supporting proven policies, then get the fuck out of my country!
Sounds like somebody has their head buried in the sand
TRUTH

Pembroke, VA

#52 Sep 11, 2012
job seeker wrote:
there were jobs close by that would hire me i wouldnt be recieving my stamps. most people view people that recieve help as bums. trade me places. i would love to work. but it seems like no1 wants to hire some1 that will work. yea,the system does need reformed. i could pass any drug test, not all people that recieve welfare has kids. im sick and tired of every month or so some1 gets a briar in their ass and wants to kick some1 while are already down. leave us alone thank you
Nobody will hire you? come on
TRUTH

Pembroke, VA

#53 Sep 11, 2012
well then wrote:
Lets hear about financial aid for college. Anyone? Since most of you dumba$$es think helping those who need it is bad, is it ok to tell children "no you can't go to college to make something better because you can't afford it." I agree a better control is needed for the assistance but its such a good thing. I am a welfare kid, and now I have a great job along with my husband and 3 children. I pay for everything I own now so what was that one idiot sayin about growing up on welfare leads to being on welfare?
Lollers=briliant.
Obama2012
You are a rare breed, at least in this county.....
No sympathy from me

Pembroke, VA

#54 Sep 11, 2012
theworldisames wrote:
First and for most, most of you people who are posting posts wouldn't even be intelligent enough to fill out a legal document such as a food stamp appliaction. Yes, some people cheat the system, but what about the hard working, educated, single parents, such as myself. I work, attend college, plus provide for two children. Tell me if half of you can afford 145 dollars a week in daycare expenses, food, rent, gas, car payment, utilities, insurance, personal necessities all by yourself. The economy is bad, and jobs are hard to find. Obviously most of you have too much time on your hands, and she considering a job, or even opening up an English book. People like myself who are trying to succeed and not have to use govenment assistance get VERY LITTLE HELP( not to mention we all work and do say taxes), those who don't work and who deosnt try for a better future gets all the help. Now, explain to me is that our fault or the govenermnt. I was once told by social services that I couldn't get help with daycare (I had to pay 100 a month, my son went two days a week (12 a day) while I was working and going to college, so you figure the cost up, and actual how much social services was.mkaing because they didn'tpay until you.paid the first 100) unless I stayed at home collected tanif (a program I don't need). So , please enlighten me on your opinion now. Some may need to do reaserach on govermnet assistance before making assumptions.
Maybe if you had got an education then a career before dropping 2 kids you wouldnt be struggling. Go cry me a river.
sister renea

Pembroke, VA

#55 Sep 12, 2012
No sympathy from me wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if you had got an education then a career before dropping 2 kids you wouldnt be struggling. Go cry me a river.
You are heartless
lollers

Princeton, WV

#56 Sep 12, 2012
I know wrote:
Yeah our educated people are so smart they cant even fix our country we feed our kids if you don't go to college you amount to nothing our education system is a joke and needs to be re built from the ground up.
Sorry but your President has accomplished nothing fixed anything and you still wont admit to his failed policy's.
80% of Green Energy loans went to Obama donors.
The FOX News analyst says 70% in the video but actually 80% of DOE dollars went to Obama backers. 19 of these green energy companies went bust.
And, it’s expensive.
Solar power is 35¢ per kilowatt compared to coal, gas and oil that costs 5¢ per kilowatt.
Do you expect a problem on a national scale to be resolved in four years, when it's eight years of damage done? Compare it to a lot of children. For example... it can take a handful of children to destroy and mess up a house but they can do it within less than an hour. How long does it take the parents to repair the damage? Much, much longer.

As far as my president, he's done quite a bit. It's just that retards like yourself can only watch FOX news, which is biased towards the right. Here's a list of his accomplishments. If you can get through it with your feeble mind, I will give you a sticker! Over 200, so, grab some coffee.

http://pleasecutthecrap.typepad.com/main/what...

"80% of Green Energy loans went to Obama donors.
The FOX News analyst says 70% in the video but actually 80% of DOE dollars went to Obama backers. 19 of these green energy companies went bust."

Green energy loans... somewhat accurate. But... do you think that people who support him and his policies...in the similar field he is supporting...is somehow strange... you're bonkers. Of course people are going to donate who believe in his policies! They went bankrupt. Yes. Also true. It's new technologies we're researching. They're not going to be all winners. Most are going to fail. The one that succeeds will far surpass what those cost in terms of net profit and savings, however.

That said... lets talk about those two wars we fought overseas in order to gain control of their oil. That cost trillions, and continues to be bankrolled.

Also, yes, those type of energy are expensive. Because they are new. Oil and coal at one time were expensive to mine. As things evolve and refine themselves...that cost goes down.

Anyway, my last reply goes to "Truth", which is the same as "You get no sympathy from me".

No, I do not have my head buried in the sand, you insufferable twat. I have a brain, that I use to post more than one hate filled line. Is it insecurity, that all you can muster are some hurtful one liners?

Also yes.. the market out there is not well. With few businesses hiring, less business being done in general, and an applicant pool of probably TRIPLE what it was in the past, it is NOT easy to get hired. Do you think that people decided one day to up and stop working, you inbred MORON!?

And how you spoke to that mother sickens me the most. How would you feel if someone spoke to YOUR MOTHER that way? I hope awful, if you even had a human mother you dog. You need to leave this country, you pathetic, terrible, awful, hateful idiot. I dare you to reveal yourself, coward!
right on

Pembroke, VA

#57 Sep 12, 2012
Former politician David Duke said it best:

"The trouble with welfare is that people on it can eat steaks for dinner, while working people have to settle for hot dogs"
keep drinking kool aid

Pembroke, VA

#58 Sep 12, 2012
lollers wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you expect a problem on a national scale to be resolved in four years, when it's eight years of damage done? Compare it to a lot of children. For example... it can take a handful of children to destroy and mess up a house but they can do it within less than an hour. How long does it take the parents to repair the damage? Much, much longer.
As far as my president, he's done quite a bit. It's just that retards like yourself can only watch FOX news, which is biased towards the right. Here's a list of his accomplishments. If you can get through it with your feeble mind, I will give you a sticker! Over 200, so, grab some coffee.
http://pleasecutthecrap.typepad.com/main/what...
"80% of Green Energy loans went to Obama donors.
The FOX News analyst says 70% in the video but actually 80% of DOE dollars went to Obama backers. 19 of these green energy companies went bust."
Green energy loans... somewhat accurate. But... do you think that people who support him and his policies...in the similar field he is supporting...is somehow strange... you're bonkers. Of course people are going to donate who believe in his policies! They went bankrupt. Yes. Also true. It's new technologies we're researching. They're not going to be all winners. Most are going to fail. The one that succeeds will far surpass what those cost in terms of net profit and savings, however.
That said... lets talk about those two wars we fought overseas in order to gain control of their oil. That cost trillions, and continues to be bankrolled.
Also, yes, those type of energy are expensive. Because they are new. Oil and coal at one time were expensive to mine. As things evolve and refine themselves...that cost goes down.
Anyway, my last reply goes to "Truth", which is the same as "You get no sympathy from me".
No, I do not have my head buried in the sand, you insufferable twat. I have a brain, that I use to post more than one hate filled line. Is it insecurity, that all you can muster are some hurtful one liners?
Also yes.. the market out there is not well. With few businesses hiring, less business being done in general, and an applicant pool of probably TRIPLE what it was in the past, it is NOT easy to get hired. Do you think that people decided one day to up and stop working, you inbred MORON!?
And how you spoke to that mother sickens me the most. How would you feel if someone spoke to YOUR MOTHER that way? I hope awful, if you even had a human mother you dog. You need to leave this country, you pathetic, terrible, awful, hateful idiot. I dare you to reveal yourself, coward!
Its better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt - Abe Lincoln
lollers

Princeton, WV

#59 Sep 12, 2012
keep drinking kool aid wrote:
<quoted text>
Its better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt - Abe Lincoln
I am very, very sorry you fool.
been there

Pembroke, VA

#60 Sep 12, 2012
theworldisames wrote:
That's the way the system works, people who try to better themselves get crapped on while those that refuse to improve get all the help they ask for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pearisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Courtney Snidow 2 hr Daniel 9
DJ's Tree Service (May '12) 6 hr Dj Lucas 34
dustin mcvey (Feb '11) Thu Tiff 14
Brooke mcneer Thu Concerned4bothbabys 9
Convicted sex offenders in Giles County (Sep '15) Dec 7 Concern 24
Hardee's or McDonald's (Aug '15) Dec 7 Christine 15
Hahaha, its gone!! Dec 5 Anonymous 6

Pearisburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance