Peach Bottom Township in fight over f...

Peach Bottom Township in fight over farm with AG Tom Corbett

There are 171 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Sep 19, 2010, titled Peach Bottom Township in fight over farm with AG Tom Corbett. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Mark, Diane and Mark Christopher Thomas walk near a now vacant barn that once housed 400 hogs adjacent to their Peach Bottom home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

amazed

Annapolis, MD

#83 Sep 24, 2010
maria payan wrote:
<quoted text>
We are the voice of the local independent farmer. We are not anti farmer. We are anti pollution. Big ag does no favors for our local community. They destroy it, just as they destroy our local farmers!
Well said!
FarmProtector

York Springs, PA

#84 Sep 24, 2010
maria payan wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question. This is the # funded per yr. for Act 38. Tried to get a RTK on actual spent...but they sent me some court costs, not what I asked for, w actual manhours spent, pay, etc.
Well if you are using this number, 13million, as an argument against the state fighting municipalities I hate to burst your bubble but you have no idea what you are talking about!! Sorry to be that blunt, but based on what you just told me it is true. Do some research on Act 38 and you will see that Act 38 is more than just protection for farms from extra strict local government. Act 38 also rewrote the Nutrient Management Plan system and created the Odor Management Plan system. I am sure it did more as well. The Nutrient and Odor Management Plans require lots of staff time for oversight, review, and approval of these plans. The Nutrient management plans are essentially regulations and plans dictating where, when and how much manure a farm can spread to minimize the nutrient and sediment pollution in to PA Waters.

So you see, your argument of the State using $13million to fight local government is not only wrong, but by saying you don;t want it is actually arguing against something I am sure you support, CAO and CAFO regulation. Funny huh. Look into the facts before you rattle stuff off. And I will admit still that I am not completely sure where you got the 13 mil. figure from but based on what you told me, STOP USING IT!
FarmProtector

York Springs, PA

#85 Sep 24, 2010
amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said!
What most people don;t realize is that "Big Ag" anymore is not the pollution problem in PA's streams. Most of the time it is small farms. See larger farms can afford more conservation practices, they aren't cheap you know, and they are regulated making them much cleaner for water than smaller farms. Its not the size that can make a farm a polluter, it is topography, farm location, amount of water, and management. One other thing to think about, as someone who works in this all day, to make the biggest dent in PA's nutrient problem to the Bay, every farm should get their animals out of the streams. This means the thousands of small farms that let them have unlimited access, hobby horse farms, everything. This is the simplest and cheapest solution to largest chunk of the problem!

Do everyone a favor, before you start screaming for clean water,do some research. Is your neighbor's septic system failing, is yours? How many small farms let their animals have unlimited stream access? Does the large farm have conservation measures in place? Is the local water actually polluted? KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. I have seen small dairies(70-100 cows) that pollute more nutrients and sediment in a year than the largest chicken or hog operations in the state. If those operations did this they would be shut down in a matter of days. KNOW YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU MAKE GENERALIZED STATEMENTS!
Native Son

Reading, PA

#86 Sep 24, 2010
What is the fine for blaring horns and noise pollution by demonstrators?????? Muslims won't eat pork ..... is this a rag head conspiracy? Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.
Censorship is alive and well at YDR. The moderator walks funny and speaks with a lisp. Right Mikey?
Jalefr1

York, PA

#87 Sep 24, 2010
These pig farms are bad news for all, except those who profit from them with little concerns of others who live near them.
two stories

York, PA

#88 Sep 24, 2010
Still an outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
You would just love it if Maria and others would stop complaining and would just go away. For your information, that does not look like it is going to happen. How would it increase the money in your wallet if they did go away? You just don't seem to understand that there is a BIG difference between farming and factory farms. KEEP UP THE FIGHT MARIA!!!! No one is complaining about normal farming but when you tell me stuffing 4400 hogs in a barn where the hogs can not even turn around if farming, I will tell you, that is NOT NORMAL FARMING. It is a FACTORY!!!!
It appears that there are two stories. The first is the effort by Maria and her minions attempting to stop the Gemmill efforts at large scale agribusiness. You can choose your sides--I am however concerned about the subplot. Underneath is the fact that there are many Marias who have moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania in a movment that is getting rid of all farmland large and small. It is just a matter of years before Maria will get her wish. There will be no perceived pollutants because all the farmland will be gone and replaced with development after development fueled by the expansion of Aberdeen Proving Ground. Delta will soon be Baltimore's northern suburb.
state senator

York, PA

#89 Sep 24, 2010
maria payan wrote:
Here are those feeding on the corporate feeding troughs. Corporate welfare for agribusiness top 20 in Delta. Aren't you glad our tax dollars support these people!
EWG's Farm Subsidy Database - http://farm.ewg.org
Home
National Data
National Analysis
Crop Insurance
Farm Subsidy Primer
Press
Search
searches since
Nov. 29, 2004
National Data
Government's Continued Bailout of Corporate Agriculture
Farm Subsidies in California: Skewed Priorities and Gross Inequities
Search
Read it on Agmag
International Ag Policy Experts Talk Farm Subsidy Reform
“We’ve Made the Unhealthy Choice the Rational Choice”
Endless Injustice for Black Farmers
if (WIDGETBOX) WIDGETBOX.renderWidget('ed2211 e4-530e-4c42-bc78-7753cc3f221a ');
EWG Farm Subsidy Database
Subsidy Recipients 1 to 20 of 62 in Delta, PA
Rank Name Location Subsidy Total
1995-2009
1 S David Stewart Delta, PA 17314 $ 352,435.74
2 Tayacres Farm Delta, PA 17314 $ 236,907.20
3 John C Johnson Delta, PA 17314 $ 219,659.92
4 Leonard W Greek Delta, PA 17314 $ 163,514.61
5 S Scott Cooper Delta, PA 17314 $ 145,128.98
6 David E Gemmill Delta, PA 17314 $ 132,022.07
7 Vincent Hushon Delta, PA 17314 $ 127,059.36
8 Stephen H Brown Delta, PA 17314 $ 110,914.68
9 Tayacres Farms LLC Delta, PA 17314 $ 75,367.69
10 David V Thompson Delta, PA 17314 $ 69,955.95
11 Craig A Metzler Delta, PA 17314 $ 63,576.13
12 Elwood T Krick Delta, PA 17314 $ 53,596.10
13 Susquehanna Orchards Inc Delta, PA 17314 $ 53,195.76
14 David K Fisher Jr Delta, PA 17314 $ 35,018.16
15 Larry Robinson Delta, PA 17314 $ 33,226.99
16 Joseph H Hushon Delta, PA 17314 $ 31,367.09
17 Dale Ranck Delta, PA 17314 $ 30,763.71
18 Belview Valley Farms LLC Delta, PA 17314 $ 26,057.00
19 H Todd Wiley Delta, PA 17314 $ 24,519.64
20 Myron R Pomraning Delta, PA 17314 $ 23,590.96
Next >>
NOTE: Data for 2009 was not available for the following programs administered by NRCS: Environmental Quality Initiative Program (EQIP), Conservation Security Program (CSP), Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP), Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP), and Farmland Protection Program (FPP). The data for these programs will be incorporated after the data is received.
We work hard to see our small farmers in the area have an oppurtunity to thrive and prosper in such hard economic timnes and a consitituent that is so hateful, she now brings race into the issue, is complaining because of the money and jobs this money given to the farmers make sit into the local economy.
Do you all see why i refuse to talk to a wacko like this women? She is out to destroy not only the framer bu the community. What she doesn't say is the money is legit and given legally under the lae. She acts like this is some underhanede and illeagal deal. She is wrong. I will continue to ignore such a person whose only desire is to promote her own agenda at the expense of others.
Remeber to vote for the best canidate in the election and anyone this women supports would be a horrible choice. As maztter of fact every canidate she supported for office either lost or if they won turned their back on her. People in government can smell a nut a mile away just like this nut can smell the chicken sh#t!
research whiz

York, PA

#90 Sep 24, 2010
maria payan wrote:
Here are those feeding on the corporate feeding troughs. Corporate welfare for agribusiness top 20 in Delta. Aren't you glad our tax dollars support these people!
EWG's Farm Subsidy Database - http://farm.ewg.org
Home
National Data
National Analysis
Crop Insurance
Farm Subsidy Primer
Press
Search
searches since
Nov. 29, 2004
National Data
Government's Continued Bailout of Corporate Agriculture
Farm Subsidies in California: Skewed Priorities and Gross Inequities
Search
Read it on Agmag
International Ag Policy Experts Talk Farm Subsidy Reform
“We’ve Made the Unhealthy Choice the Rational Choice”
Endless Injustice for Black Farmers
if (WIDGETBOX) WIDGETBOX.renderWidget('ed2211 e4-530e-4c42-bc78-7753cc3f221a ');
EWG Farm Subsidy Database
Subsidy Recipients 1 to 20 of 62 in Delta, PA
Rank Name Location Subsidy Total
1995-2009
1 S David Stewart Delta, PA 17314 $ 352,435.74
2 Tayacres Farm Delta, PA 17314 $ 236,907.20
3 John C Johnson Delta, PA 17314 $ 219,659.92
4 Leonard W Greek Delta, PA 17314 $ 163,514.61
5 S Scott Cooper Delta, PA 17314 $ 145,128.98
6 David E Gemmill Delta, PA 17314 $ 132,022.07
7 Vincent Hushon Delta, PA 17314 $ 127,059.36
8 Stephen H Brown Delta, PA 17314 $ 110,914.68
9 Tayacres Farms LLC Delta, PA 17314 $ 75,367.69
10 David V Thompson Delta, PA 17314 $ 69,955.95
11 Craig A Metzler Delta, PA 17314 $ 63,576.13
12 Elwood T Krick Delta, PA 17314 $ 53,596.10
13 Susquehanna Orchards Inc Delta, PA 17314 $ 53,195.76
14 David K Fisher Jr Delta, PA 17314 $ 35,018.16
15 Larry Robinson Delta, PA 17314 $ 33,226.99
16 Joseph H Hushon Delta, PA 17314 $ 31,367.09
17 Dale Ranck Delta, PA 17314 $ 30,763.71
18 Belview Valley Farms LLC Delta, PA 17314 $ 26,057.00
19 H Todd Wiley Delta, PA 17314 $ 24,519.64
20 Myron R Pomraning Delta, PA 17314 $ 23,590.96
Next >>
NOTE: Data for 2009 was not available for the following programs administered by NRCS: Environmental Quality Initiative Program (EQIP), Conservation Security Program (CSP), Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP), Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP), and Farmland Protection Program (FPP). The data for these programs will be incorporated after the data is received.
This women is copyrighting material right from a website. A website of EWG. EWG is an environmentalist activist group who are global warming alarmist and anti-farming at any level except organic. They claim to be funded by individuals at 50% of their funding. That is true when you look at their financials but many of these individuals are contributing six figures under the guise of a trust and are related to the global warming hoax. They also have corporate funding as noted in their reports.
This info only reinforces what is posted on this thread that this women and her supporters, which appear to be only a couple,is only interested in ending farming once and for all and has used websites that are anti-farming and left leaning in order to say it is evidence. Not a very smart women but one who lets her mental illness control her passion.
amazed

Annapolis, MD

#91 Sep 24, 2010
FarmProtector wrote:
<quoted text>
What most people don;t realize is that "Big Ag" anymore is not the pollution problem in PA's streams. Most of the time it is small farms. See larger farms can afford more conservation practices, they aren't cheap you know, and they are regulated making them much cleaner for water than smaller farms. Its not the size that can make a farm a polluter, it is topography, farm location, amount of water, and management. One other thing to think about, as someone who works in this all day, to make the biggest dent in PA's nutrient problem to the Bay, every farm should get their animals out of the streams. This means the thousands of small farms that let them have unlimited access, hobby horse farms, everything. This is the simplest and cheapest solution to largest chunk of the problem!
Do everyone a favor, before you start screaming for clean water,do some research. Is your neighbor's septic system failing, is yours? How many small farms let their animals have unlimited stream access? Does the large farm have conservation measures in place? Is the local water actually polluted? KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. I have seen small dairies(70-100 cows) that pollute more nutrients and sediment in a year than the largest chicken or hog operations in the state. If those operations did this they would be shut down in a matter of days. KNOW YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU MAKE GENERALIZED STATEMENTS!
You're one to talk. Austin "Jack" DeCoster owner of Wright County Egg (one of the farms from a massive recall of 228 million eggs due to a salmonella scare recently) has paid thousands of dollars in fines over the years. They were NOT SHUT DOWN in a matter of days. Photos of the many dead chickens, insects, rodents and massive piles of manure in hen houses at the two major egg farms didn't happen over night.
research whiz

York, PA

#92 Sep 24, 2010
amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
You're one to talk. Austin "Jack" DeCoster owner of Wright County Egg (one of the farms from a massive recall of 228 million eggs due to a salmonella scare recently) has paid thousands of dollars in fines over the years. They were NOT SHUT DOWN in a matter of days. Photos of the many dead chickens, insects, rodents and massive piles of manure in hen houses at the two major egg farms didn't happen over night.
Tens of thousands of farms and there will also be bad farmers. Just like tens of thousands of reasonable and educated protesters, there will always be a few misinformed and deceptive ones like you and your group!
FarmProtector

York Springs, PA

#93 Sep 24, 2010
amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, I misspoke. They would probably be fined, but isn't fined better that not fined? What to do when one farm just due to animal numbers gets fined for a pollution event that is smaller than a farm with fewer animals is not fined for a larger pollution event? Not that there are a lot of these farms out there, but the cumulative effect of livestock in streams is far greater than the already regulated CAFOs, in my experience. And if you don;t believe me, do some driving and researching on the number of farms in PA, number of CAFOs, and many more. Do some research if you don;t believe me, all farms, all CITIZENS & HOMEOWNERS have the responsibility of clean water. Don;t pick on one group, or one subset of a group, first ask what are you doing with your personal actions in your life, on your property?
FarmProtector

York Springs, PA

#94 Sep 24, 2010
two stories wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears that there are two stories. The first is the effort by Maria and her minions attempting to stop the Gemmill efforts at large scale agribusiness. You can choose your sides--I am however concerned about the subplot. Underneath is the fact that there are many Marias who have moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania in a movment that is getting rid of all farmland large and small. It is just a matter of years before Maria will get her wish. There will be no perceived pollutants because all the farmland will be gone and replaced with development after development fueled by the expansion of Aberdeen Proving Ground. Delta will soon be Baltimore's northern suburb.
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! You know, over the years of Chesapeake Bay restoration, the only category of pollution that has increased has been urban non-point source pollution? Compared to point sources, agriculture, air deposition which have all made significant decreases. Interesting isn't it? This isn't to say the other sectors like agriculture and point sources don;t have more progress to make, because they do, but they are making progress.
Still an outsider

Stewartstown, PA

#95 Sep 24, 2010
Jalefr1 wrote:
These pig farms are bad news for all, except those who profit from them with little concerns of others who live near them.
Your are right. I agree, No concern for their neighbors or anyone else as long as they make a big profit. Problem is, the pig farmers are not making big profits at the moment so why even put in a pig farm? I think now, it has come down to the "old timers" who are farmers vs the citizens. I did not come from Baltimore but can see the city people have valid points when it come to pollution. As I said in an earlier post. We will always be outsiders if we were not borned in PB Township. Just another way of life in PB that WE Outsiders have to except according to some farmers. Farm smells and paying our property taxes and no right to complain about anything if you were not borned and raised in PB.
Jalefr1

York, PA

#96 Sep 24, 2010
Yes these locals are not the brightest, they all get government money and then yell and scream if anyone else trys to get it for a program to clean up the messes they create. PS I am not from Maryland either.
amazed

Annapolis, MD

#97 Sep 24, 2010
FarmProtector wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, I misspoke. They would probably be fined, but isn't fined better that not fined? What to do when one farm just due to animal numbers gets fined for a pollution event that is smaller than a farm with fewer animals is not fined for a larger pollution event? Not that there are a lot of these farms out there, but the cumulative effect of livestock in streams is far greater than the already regulated CAFOs, in my experience. And if you don;t believe me, do some driving and researching on the number of farms in PA, number of CAFOs, and many more. Do some research if you don;t believe me, all farms, all CITIZENS & HOMEOWNERS have the responsibility of clean water. Don;t pick on one group, or one subset of a group, first ask what are you doing with your personal actions in your life, on your property?
You are correct. We ALL have a responsibility to keep our environment clean and safe. Unfortunately there will always be some who are just so greedy and obsessed with the bottom line that they don't care about what the consequences might be in the future. Everyone feels strongly about one thing or another that in some way affects them. Some just sit back and complain while others go out and do. Not everyone will agree with the choices or decisions that some people make and that's fine. After all, this is America and let's not forget that we still have the freedom of choice. You can't please everyone. Back in the 1960's there was a saying "America....love it or leave it!" We decided then that we had another choice. We can change it. The politicians don't have all of the right answers nor do they always make the best decisions. Sadly many decisions are made based on greed instead of what's best for the nation as a whole. I always say "Follow the money!" I commend those who step up to the plate to fight for what they believe in. Although I may not necessarily agree with them, I respect their right to fight for their cause.
wth

Dover, PA

#98 Sep 24, 2010
Still an outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are right. I agree, No concern for their neighbors or anyone else as long as they make a big profit. Problem is, the pig farmers are not making big profits at the moment so why even put in a pig farm? I think now, it has come down to the "old timers" who are farmers vs the citizens. I did not come from Baltimore but can see the city people have valid points when it come to pollution. As I said in an earlier post. We will always be outsiders if we were not borned in PB Township. Just another way of life in PB that WE Outsiders have to except according to some farmers. Farm smells and paying our property taxes and no right to complain about anything if you were not borned and raised in PB.
Farming has been a way of life for PA and it upsets me to see people trying to get rid of farms. I don't know how much farmland we have lost to developments and shopping centers at this point, but I do well know that there will be a lot more going. I, for one, enjoy my eggs and bacon, pork and kraut, etc. Attack the farms that are truly disregarding the laws of the land.

If you weren't born and raised in PA, why would you come here if you don't like farms....this is our way of life. It is also no secret that PA is a farming state. Although it used to be a manufacturing state also, but that is also being slowly taken away.....The medical field seems to be the new future of PA....Drugs and money, and they talk about the pusher on the street...hmmmmmmmm.
Oh boy

New Freedom, PA

#99 Sep 25, 2010
maria payan wrote:
Ok so farmers got gov subsidy. What about all the mortgage companies that got gov bailouts are you going to list them to. They used your tax dallors to help them out.
research whiz

York, PA

#100 Sep 25, 2010
amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. We ALL have a responsibility to keep our environment clean and safe. Unfortunately there will always be some who are just so greedy and obsessed with the bottom line that they don't care about what the consequences might be in the future. Everyone feels strongly about one thing or another that in some way affects them. Some just sit back and complain while others go out and do. Not everyone will agree with the choices or decisions that some people make and that's fine. After all, this is America and let's not forget that we still have the freedom of choice. You can't please everyone. Back in the 1960's there was a saying "America....love it or leave it!" We decided then that we had another choice. We can change it. The politicians don't have all of the right answers nor do they always make the best decisions. Sadly many decisions are made based on greed instead of what's best for the nation as a whole. I always say "Follow the money!" I commend those who step up to the plate to fight for what they believe in. Although I may not necessarily agree with them, I respect their right to fight for their cause.
And even more sadly opinions such as yours are based on hysteria and fear mongering rather than fact. You are right we all have a choice but your tactics of fear and shouting others down is more pathetic than patriotic.
FarmProtector

York Springs, PA

#101 Sep 25, 2010
amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright, that really was a tangent of of what I said.
JusticeForJustin

Red Lion, PA

#102 Sep 25, 2010
After reading the replies here it just puts me in a great deal of saddness that people, even long time farmers can be so heartless. YES, I do belive that farmers are the backbone of our country and that without them our lifestyles would turn into a third world style. BUT, they must obey the laws and regulations set fourth and not do as they wish. Any farmer who violates the law SHOULD be punished and if a death occurs a criminal investigation should be persued. Our so died on May 15th, we were at the house until May 17th where 5 other family members became sick, that morning I called the county coroner and asked if any results had come back from Justin's tests. The told me no and to get to the ER ASAP! We went and on the way our 4 year old was vomiting and became very "out of it". After being stabilized in the er for over 7 hours we went home and moved our family into our Church's parsonage. We did not stay in the home nor did we want to get an attorney involved but, after getting Justin's final autopsy results and reading on how he was disected we will not let the problem go away. Our so and family members just didn't get sick for no reason. Justice will be served and Justin will have not died in vain. I welcome any and all supporters to contact us through Justin's website and together we can make our county a safer place to live. And as a side note: The landlord we had plans on rerenting the property and DO NOT have to disclose any info on the well contamination or a death of a child on the property, so if all you negitive supporters need a new home I hope you get this one. Just don't let your kids drink the water. And I WILL NOT disclose the homes location until our attorney agrees it's ok. And yes we do have a very good attorney. It's not about the money because if a settlement or judgement occurs we intend on usuing most of it to establish a company to collect well water samples and get them lab tested for free. This should not happen anywhere, but especially in our great United States!
We will keep fighting for JusticeforJustin!
JusticeforJustin.webs.com
Thank-you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peach Bottom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which Brady Bunch character are you? (Oct '14) Jun '17 Mond 2
News 'Puppy Mill' Crackdown with Arrest Made (Jan '07) May '17 Kaitie416 296
1003 front street (Mar '17) Apr '17 Anonymous 2
Snow removal (Mar '17) Mar '17 Greg 1
jimmy"s all american take out (Feb '17) Feb '17 Jimmy matyniak 1
why doesnt the peach bottom tax collector do th... (Jul '16) Oct '16 Violet 2
News Incumbent district judge has two challengers fo... (Jun '15) Sep '16 Jonas Johnson 3

Peach Bottom Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peach Bottom Mortgages