Question 1 a taxing decision

Question 1 a taxing decision

There are 42 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Nov 3, 2008, titled Question 1 a taxing decision. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

I guess I won't know which way I'm going to vote on Question 1 tomorrow until I actually get in the booth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hey Doog

Lowell, MA

#41 Nov 5, 2008
The Doog wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you're not happy with your job because "it's not all it's cracked up to be" and you need to be on your wife's insurance, why don't you make the change? After all, the cream always rises to the top, like you said.
I am leaving the public sector. My point is this, dont begrudge others for what they have. If you are unhappy in your position make a move, that's what I'm doing. The vast majority of people in the public sector are hard working dedicated people. They deserve every benefit they get and more. The media sensationalizes any bad apple amongst the bunch, and the mindless masses buy into it. There are people abusing the system, and those issues should be addressed swiftly. However to write off the entire public sector because of the actions of a few is unfair.
Bagdad Harry

United States

#42 Nov 5, 2008
Hey Doog wrote:
<quoted text>I work in the public sector and guess what, I'm on my wife's health insurance. She has better benefits than I do. The cream always rises to the top. Those left at the bottom make excuses for their failures and place blame on others. I can only assume that if you aren't enjoying your current employment situation you are lacking somewhere. You either lack the skills to secure a better job, or the motivation to make it happen. I couldn't help but notice question one was overwhelmingly defeated. How does it feel to know that your opinion is that of the minority. Hey if your looking for a lucrative job with great benefits I hear the armed services are looking for people. Free government housing, meals, all expenses paid travel. Talk about perks, right. You probably don't get that kind of stuff in your private sector, but it comes with sacrifice. There is always give and take, those public sector people whom you are so obviously jealous of lack some of your private sector perks. How about all the third shift people, and those who have to work on holidays while you are spending time with your family. You have a very narrow point of view, if you think the grass is greener in the public sector I invite you to join us. Its not all its cracked up to be. So quit complaining and take charge of your own destiny.
Like nobody in the DPS ever works 3rd shift or holidays. And they get to pay into the social security system. You wouldn't know anything about that...you know since you have a guarenteed pension. Must really stink to work in the public sector. Do you get Bunker Hill day off? How about Evacuation Day? Arbor Day? Payroll Patriot Day? How many weeks of sick and vacation do you get? Did you know that sick time in the DSP is 10 days a year. And you can't bank all the hours and cash out when you leave...sick time has no cash value in the DSP. And you are not encouraged to use them. How Draconian eh?
Another thing...in the DSP you have to produce or you are out of the job. No matter how long your tenure.
State workers are over paid ...and over benefited!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peabody Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Massachusetts Constables Office Nov 11 JKM 1
Veteran's Day Charity Event on November 10th Nov 6 wingmanmagazine 1
News Tricia Farley-Bouvier ushers in Statehouse plan... Nov 6 Cops are Sociopaths 13
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Saugus (Aug '15) Nov 2 lkp143 23
Review: Ilovekickboxing - Peabody (Dec '15) Oct '17 brianna4485 69
Make Schools Education Quality better, Share yo... (Aug '09) Oct '17 whatever the cost 66
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... (Feb '17) Jul '17 T-BOS 10

Peabody Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peabody Mortgages