Question 1 a taxing decision

Question 1 a taxing decision

There are 42 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Nov 3, 2008, titled Question 1 a taxing decision. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

I guess I won't know which way I'm going to vote on Question 1 tomorrow until I actually get in the booth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Doog

Norwood, MA

#1 Nov 3, 2008
Dennis--don't stress about it. The state workers don't stress about those of us in the private sector. They just ask for more money.

It's so funny to see the No on 1 people say "it will raise your property tax!" These are the same people who vote on every Override to Prop 2 1/2. They are not worried about the taxpayer. They are worried about themselves.

This state would've been out of business decades ago if it was a corporation. Vote YES on 1

“Why is all the rum gone?”

Since: Aug 08

Lowell, MA

#2 Nov 3, 2008
You just listed all the reasons to vote Yes on Question 1. What's the problem?
KBD

Peabody, MA

#3 Nov 3, 2008
Just vote 'Yes'. Best case - it stands and the government may actually need to prioritize its funding. Worst case - the government ignores us anyway and the rate remains the same (but they can't push it up higher without upsetting voters who wanted it eliminated).

If you vote 'No', what's to say Beacon Hill doesn't see that as an invitation to raise the rate?
Bob

Lexington, MA

#4 Nov 3, 2008
I'm voting YES!
Poor doog

Lowell, MA

#5 Nov 3, 2008
The Doog wrote:
Dennis--don't stress about it. The state workers don't stress about those of us in the private sector. They just ask for more money.
It's so funny to see the No on 1 people say "it will raise your property tax!" These are the same people who vote on every Override to Prop 2 1/2. They are not worried about the taxpayer. They are worried about themselves.
This state would've been out of business decades ago if it was a corporation. Vote YES on 1
Another private sector crybaby. The article touched on the real motivation jealousy. If you arent happy in the private sector make a move, the only inhibition is your education level and motivation. You are quick to point out a problem but offer no solution, wonder why you haven't succeeded in the private sector. You deride people for worrying about themselves, are you not worried about yourself? This will cost people there jobs, contrary to the argument that this influx in discretionary income will create them. No one likes fat cat politicians, and cronyism, however these people will not be victims to the cuts caused by this initiative. The working class public works employees, teacher, fireman, and cops will pay the price. There will be thousands of new families living off unemployment. That is good for the state how? If you want to send a message vote these hacks out. If you believe that this is a good idea research your own town budget and see what percent is funded by state aid. Its your vote do with it what you wish but do your homework first, don't rely on the tabloid media to make up your mind for you.
White rabbit

Framingham, MA

#6 Nov 3, 2008
Unless you are in a position to pay for all your services, which so many of you are not, the small amount you will 'save' in taxes will be used up and then some to pay for your services you need. If you don't like how your tax dollars are being spent, get involved, vote for new people in office. Stopping the funding of the services you need and can not afford on your own is short sighted.
End the Income Tax

Bedford, MA

#7 Nov 3, 2008
Risky
Dire
Dangerous
Blah, blah, blah.
I know how to spend my money better than the State does. Lets keep our money local, where we have control over how it is spent.
David Robinson

Boston, MA

#8 Nov 3, 2008
I'm voting no, like the majority of Massachusetts voters.
John K

Washington, DC

#9 Nov 3, 2008
A Yes vote on Question 1 is the only language the politicians understand. Where to cut the budget? The billion dollars in new expenditures Deval imposed since he took office would be a good place to start.
Jason

Lowell, MA

#10 Nov 3, 2008
DO NOT VOTE YES ON QUESTION # 1..........
Steven

United States

#11 Nov 3, 2008
I always find it interesting that legislators always single out those occupations that will suffer the most, teachers, police and firefighters. Why don't we hear them saying that they will cut their 'per diem' travel allowance, reduce their staff by 10%, reduce the legislative year to one month, etc. It's always gloom and doom scare tactics on their part - DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!
lowell

Kansas City, MO

#12 Nov 3, 2008
It's a no brainer to vote yes on this question. Spending in this state has been out of control for years and to say we can vote the bad politicians out may be true but not a definite answer. Seems like every new politician comes in to serve and then they decide to make a carrier out of it which is nothing less than service to themselves. A yes vote is the only way to change these politicians ways, and then we should vote them out.
H Dierra

Dallas, TX

#13 Nov 3, 2008
the problem with question 1 is that the people that want the dought to keep on rolling (unions, hacks, special interest, etc) are out spending the proponents 10 to 1, not to mention the constant claim of "flat" lies like cutting "education, fire and police", right!!! creating panic is a sure way to create doubt in people's mind and hence win.
is no surprise, after all we keep electing barney frank, kerry, kennedy and deval. we deserve what we get!!!
Beam me up

Lowell, MA

#14 Nov 3, 2008
Who are you people that think services will not be cut. If you cut somewhere between 20-65% of municipal budgets what do you think will happen. Do you people have any understanding of state and local finances, local aid, or municipal budgets. Its a "no brainer" if you have "no brain". I really wish there was an intelligence test given prior to voting.
Yes

Gloucester, MA

#15 Nov 3, 2008
Look! The pols in this god-forsaken state have had more of a chance to rectify the problems that they,themselves, acknowledge,but have taken the easy route of just letting things slide.
No more!!!Vote YES,and force the slacks to be responcible.
Umm

Lowell, MA

#16 Nov 3, 2008
H Dierra wrote:
the problem with question 1 is that the people that want the dought to keep on rolling (unions, hacks, special interest, etc) are out spending the proponents 10 to 1, not to mention the constant claim of "flat" lies like cutting "education, fire and police", right!!! creating panic is a sure way to create doubt in people's mind and hence win.
is no surprise, after all we keep electing barney frank, kerry, kennedy and deval. we deserve what we get!!!
what exactly is "dought"
The Doog

Norwood, MA

#17 Nov 3, 2008
Poor doog wrote:
<quoted text>Another private sector crybaby. The article touched on the real motivation jealousy. If you arent happy in the private sector make a move, the only inhibition is your education level and motivation. You are quick to point out a problem but offer no solution, wonder why you haven't succeeded in the private sector. You deride people for worrying about themselves, are you not worried about yourself? This will cost people there jobs, contrary to the argument that this influx in discretionary income will create them. No one likes fat cat politicians, and cronyism, however these people will not be victims to the cuts caused by this initiative. The working class public works employees, teacher, fireman, and cops will pay the price. There will be thousands of new families living off unemployment. That is good for the state how? If you want to send a message vote these hacks out. If you believe that this is a good idea research your own town budget and see what percent is funded by state aid. Its your vote do with it what you wish but do your homework first, don't rely on the tabloid media to make up your mind for you.
You are such a fear-mongering hack it is not even funny. I am actually doing quite well in the private sector, thank you very much. It's not about jealousy, and I'm certainly not motivated to work alongside people like you.

It's just the whole enitlement nature of public employee unions that makes me sick. This state has allowed disproportiante public sector employee benefits that make no business sense. Almost no one in the private sector has pensions anymore. And long gone are the days of $0 and $5 copays that leeches like you probably enjoy.

You know what happens when a business is run like the state of Massachusetts? People get fired. People get laid off. There are changes at the top. That is life in the true business world. Maybe you'll see it when Question 1 passes.

Go look at the state budgets of Virginia, Arizona, and Indiana. They are not even close to the $47 billion that Mass spends.

“Why is all the rum gone?”

Since: Aug 08

Lowell, MA

#18 Nov 3, 2008
Poor Doog and White Rabbit:

You can't vote people out when there is nobody running against them! If this question passes, maybe they'll all quit!
Ready to Leave Mass

Wichita, KS

#19 Nov 3, 2008
When in doubt remember, "What would Wilkerson do?"

Assume you are a hack and the trough that you feed at has just been cut in half. Do you?:

A) Take a pay cut and cut your staff
B) Lay off your hack brother-in-law from his $125,000/yr no-show job
C) Stop paving roads
lowell

Kansas City, MO

#20 Nov 3, 2008
Beam me up wrote:
Who are you people that think services will not be cut. If you cut somewhere between 20-65% of municipal budgets what do you think will happen. Do you people have any understanding of state and local finances, local aid, or municipal budgets. Its a "no brainer" if you have "no brain". I really wish there was an intelligence test given
prior to voting.
You fall in play like an elitist thinking the world will come to an end. Simply we are not getting the biggest bang for our buck and think people are sick of it. Itís time the public sector has to deal with it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peabody Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make Schools Education Quality better, Share yo... (Aug '09) 6 hr Answers please 57
State Rep Wong (Jan '12) Aug 9 Choices 71
Salem commons in need of renovations Aug 7 Park patron 1
Saugus Hilltop development and Our Issues Aug 7 G dog 25
Who knows mario scire? Arrowhead dr. Or m.a.s b... Jul 26 Mariosucks 3
Review: Ilovekickboxing - Peabody (Dec '15) Jul 26 Angie_gonzalez 65
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Jul '17 T-BOS 10

Peabody Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Peabody Mortgages