Standing up to the bully of Bentonville

Standing up to the bully of Bentonville

There are 36 comments on the Institute for Southern Studies story from Oct 15, 2012, titled Standing up to the bully of Bentonville. In it, Institute for Southern Studies reports that:

In the hope that we are indeed seeing a major turning point in the relationship between the giant retailer and its workforce, it is worth looking back at the company's record to recall just how bad its behavior has been.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Institute for Southern Studies.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reality

Waco, TX

#1 Oct 15, 2012
Unfortunately if you are believing that anything short of a significant law enforcement action will cause walmart to suddenly change the way it uses its employees you are living in a dream world. Walmart's business model is based on the use of low paid part time employees without benefits. They watch the ratio of part-time to full-time associates on a weekly basis and any deviation from direction is met with immediately follow up to ensure the number of full time employees is kept to a minimum. Their business model simply does not work with employees making a decent wage with reasonable benefits - not even great benefits but just reasonable. There is nothing that will ever make walmart WANT to treat it employees any better than they do today. Success is measured in sales and profit - period. The company spends an enomrous amount of time keeping wages and benefits as low as possible - THAT is the heart of their business model.

One day people will realize that walmart is simply not good - there is nothing that is going to make them want to be good - to anyone. They are not good people - they are not a good company - that is not who they are. They do not desire to be good - they desire to make as much money as possible at any cost.
dissident civilian

Searcy, AR

#2 Oct 15, 2012
Reality wrote:
Unfortunately if you are believing that anything short of a significant law enforcement action will cause walmart to suddenly change the way it uses its employees you are living in a dream world. Walmart's business model is based on the use of low paid part time employees without benefits. They watch the ratio of part-time to full-time associates on a weekly basis and any deviation from direction is met with immediately follow up to ensure the number of full time employees is kept to a minimum. Their business model simply does not work with employees making a decent wage with reasonable benefits - not even great benefits but just reasonable. There is nothing that will ever make walmart WANT to treat it employees any better than they do today. Success is measured in sales and profit - period. The company spends an enomrous amount of time keeping wages and benefits as low as possible - THAT is the heart of their business model.
One day people will realize that walmart is simply not good - there is nothing that is going to make them want to be good - to anyone. They are not good people - they are not a good company - that is not who they are. They do not desire to be good - they desire to make as much money as possible at any cost.
No one will care as long as they get there stuff cheaper. Look at electronics. go to Radioshack and look at there prices compared to Walmart. or Harps for food. You keep prices cheap and they will keep coming no matter what they pay there employes.
To Hell With Bent Bully

Fayetteville, AR

#5 Oct 29, 2012
Walmart is the bully of the world! Go to work for Costco everyone. Costco's minimum starting salary is $20 per hour. They treat their employees very well because they understand respect. Walmart has no clue what respect is.

Olive Branch, MS

#6 Oct 29, 2012
Walmart will never change. Their warehouses are just as bad. They brainwash the management. The prices will go up always. It will fall one day though, they can only do so much.
advice

United States

#7 Oct 30, 2012
Don't work there or shop there if you don't like it. We as Americans do have a choice.

“yuc yuc”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#8 Oct 31, 2012
As my career started pushing buggies for them, I've learned that bending over the bully gets you farther ahead. 5 years later I now run 2 check out lines. Y'all need to get with the program!
Walmart

Fayetteville, AR

#9 Oct 31, 2012
advice wrote:
Don't work there or shop there if you don't like it. We as Americans do have a choice.
Correct! We should all never shop there again and we should never work there. That is the only power we have to put them out of business.
David

Lumberton, NC

#10 Nov 7, 2012
Worked for WalMart for a year and a half as a Shift Manager. Worst job I have ever had in my life. I only worked there until I could find another job.(I almost quit my first day when they wanted me to share a hotel room with another shift manager for a training class).
They treat the employees like garbage, there products are horrible, the food and produce is sub-par. You couldn't pay me to eat a piece of meat or fish. And I wouldn't take an aspirin from their pharmacy, if I knew the WalMart pharmacist filled it. Saw way too much to get me to shop there again.
Oh, they did pay me for four months after I quit and I had to write a registered letter to the CEO to get them to quit paying me. No one could produce a copy of my resignation letter. You just can't fix stupid.
just saying

Rogers, AR

#11 Nov 7, 2012
WalMart does alot of good things for our communities and for non-profit organizations!!!!
???

Ward, AR

#12 Nov 7, 2012
just saying wrote:
WalMart does alot of good things for our communities and for non-profit organizations!!!!
The associates of walmart donate that money out of our pay checks ! Walmart just takes credit for it
WMTLover

Waukegan, IL

#13 Nov 8, 2012
I love Wal-mart and all of your people need to stop saying bad things about it. It's the best company in the world so quit telling lies.

“NSA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#14 Nov 8, 2012
Helping kill our economy and local small businesses, but I don't expect you to see that.
just saying

Rogers, AR

#15 Nov 8, 2012
[QUOTE who="???"]<quoted text>
The associates of walmart donate that money out of our pay checks ! Walmart just takes credit for it[/QUOTE]

the associates at WalMart are awesome as well!!! and you are absolutley right VAP hours and Days of Caring are wonderful. You all are a huge part of our community, thank you
joey

Livonia, LA

#16 Nov 24, 2012
To Hell With Bent Bully wrote:
Walmart is the bully of the world! Go to work for Costco everyone. Costco's minimum starting salary is $20 per hour. They treat their employees very well because they understand respect. Walmart has no clue what respect is.
as usual an idiot like you is misinformed!costco minimum is now 10dollars and fifty cents an hour!only their top employees make 20 bucks an hour but you try to make it sound as if all employees make 20 bucks an hour?no one will pay 20 dollars to people that are barely qualified to stock shelves!these people with no qualifications are lucky to get over 10 dollars an hour since they cant do much else!this pay is along the lines of wallmarts for shelf stockers!get all your facts straight next time!!
Brie

Rogers, AR

#17 Nov 26, 2012
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE WALMART AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR!FROM ITS CHRISTIAN VIEWS AND BACKGROUNDS TO THE COMPANIES CHARITY PROGRAMS... TO THE PEOPLE TO THE FEELING YOU GET JUST WALKING IN THERE! MY HUSBAND WORKS FOR WALMART AND HE LOVES IT! ITS BEEN GREAT TO HIM AND OUR FAMILY. THE EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE YOU COLLECT WHILE WORKING THERE IS IMMISCIBLE! DEFINITELY THE #1 EMPLOYER OF THE WORLd.
David

Lumberton, NC

#18 Nov 26, 2012
Brie wrote:
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE WALMART AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR!FROM ITS CHRISTIAN VIEWS AND BACKGROUNDS TO THE COMPANIES CHARITY PROGRAMS... TO THE PEOPLE TO THE FEELING YOU GET JUST WALKING IN THERE! MY HUSBAND WORKS FOR WALMART AND HE LOVES IT! ITS BEEN GREAT TO HIM AND OUR FAMILY. THE EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE YOU COLLECT WHILE WORKING THERE IS IMMISCIBLE! DEFINITELY THE #1 EMPLOYER OF THE WORLd.
Thanks for the post, I needed a good laugh.
gonzigna

Waukegan, IL

#19 Nov 27, 2012
How did that walkout work out?
wm worker

United States

#20 Nov 27, 2012
I've worked in a dc for 18 years & it pays my bills nicely. I have no complaints about my job & am thankful to have it. I'm a single mother & it supports me & my child. Just so you know that all the ppl don't feel negative about it.

Lockhart, TX

#21 Nov 27, 2012
David wrote:
Worked for WalMart for a year and a half as a Shift Manager. Worst job I have ever had in my life. I only worked there until I could find another job.(I almost quit my first day when they wanted me to share a hotel room with another shift manager for a training class).
They treat the employees like garbage, there products are horrible, the food and produce is sub-par. You couldn't pay me to eat a piece of meat or fish. And I wouldn't take an aspirin from their pharmacy, if I knew the WalMart pharmacist filled it. Saw way too much to get me to shop there again.
Oh, they did pay me for four months after I quit and I had to write a registered letter to the CEO to get them to quit paying me. No one could produce a copy of my resignation letter. You just can't fix stupid.
Omg who are you calling stupid stupid they were paying you to do nothing and you stopped it why?
David

Lumberton, NC

#22 Nov 28, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Omg who are you calling stupid stupid they were paying you to do nothing and you stopped it why?
Maybe because it was getting to be enough money that soon it was going to be enough money for them to come after. In my state. companies can come after money they paid to employees by mistake. I did get a nice $12,000.00 out of it. Wouldn't say that was too stupid. Probably more than you make in a year.:).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pea Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Concerned (Feb '16) Sep 20 Loaded 2
New Benton County Arrests (Mar '14) Sep 20 Benton 2
One of a kind furniture and design Sep 17 BezaleelWorkshop 1
News Judge To Rule On Sewer (Feb '13) Sep 14 Icy25601 22
Bentonville School District Leaks Sep 8 Bentonville Leaks 1
Curious Sep 6 alibi 1
brian hingle died anybody know how Sep 5 good guy 1

Pea Ridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance