Steppenwolf steppin' out

Steppenwolf steppin' out

There are 5 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 23, 2008, titled Steppenwolf steppin' out. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Stevenson Swanson is a New York correspondent for the Tribune. [email protected] Deanna Dunagan was Broadway-bound and she was not happy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

ROBERT

Germany

#1 Feb 23, 2008
Steppenwolf truly has an overblown EGO problem. Just a wasteful adventure that will prove nothing but how to be stupid. New Yorkers do not care about Setppenwolf and it's past glories. The Broadway producion will be another financial diaster. But who cares, Steppenwolf is another Not-for-Profit operation that will only BEG for more money. Face it, Steppenwolf is now a 'has been' operation living on cheap laurels for the past 33 years.

Since: Apr 07

Woodridge, IL

#2 Feb 24, 2008
ROBERT wrote:
Steppenwolf truly has an overblown EGO problem. Just a wasteful adventure that will prove nothing but how to be stupid. New Yorkers do not care about Setppenwolf and it's past glories. The Broadway producion will be another financial diaster. But who cares, Steppenwolf is another Not-for-Profit operation that will only BEG for more money. Face it, Steppenwolf is now a 'has been' operation living on cheap laurels for the past 33 years.
Appalling. Even I could never assemble that many obtuse invectives as this person did.
Rick

Macedonia

#3 Feb 25, 2008
Chicago newspapers have been publishing articles like this slamming Broadway/NY for the past 20-30 years. This is stale, trite and old news. It's more a reflection of Chicago's own insecurity than anything else. Yes, Steppenwolf produces great productions with terrific acting and great productions. We here in NY appreciate and welcome that. Frankly, we don't care where the productions originate; it always seems everybody "out there" is endlessly obsessed with comparing themselves to NY and at the same time slamming NY/Broadway, etc. as a way to deflect from their own insecurities. We don't care if you live in "bigger apartments and eat in bigger restaurants and have bigger dressing rooms." Good for you! It's easier for Steppenwolf to go to London than to Broadway cause they know deep down Steppenwolf is not competing against anything in London while they seem to think they do on Broadway.
McDuff

United States

#4 Feb 25, 2008
Robert,

It may interest you to know that Steppenwolf is not resting on her laurels and basking in her past glories. AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, in fact, represents a new era. Here, for the first time ever, Steppenwolf is representing Chicago in New York with a brand new play, written by a chicago-based ensemble member, directed by a Chicago-based ensemble member and performed by no less than seven ensemble members, five of whom are also Chicago-based. The play and the production have received the highest accolades from legitimate press across the country and standing ovations from New York audiences nightly, the like of which hasn't been seen on Broadway in decades. The box office has seen a return not unlike a successful musical might see. The original investors are already seeing returns because the financial profits have come back so quickly and so strongly.

So, Robert, I'm afraid you're misinformed and badly mistaken: no inflated egos, no wasted time, no hanging onto past glories, and no financial disasters. What we have here is a newspaper article about a group of Chicagoans who miss their lives and their homes, but who believe in what they're representing.

Steppenwolf is a non-profit corporation and, as such, will always provide patrons of the arts with the opportunity to assist financially, to provide support. This isn't begging for money, it's a federally mandated system with an honorable 43 year history. Its purpose is to help keep ticket prices down while producing high-quality theatre locally.

So, Robert, it seems to me that you have two choices; either hang onto your misinformed bitter attitude about something of which you know little, or buy a ticket and see what Steppenwolf is doing these days. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Bingo

El Dorado Hills, CA

#5 Mar 16, 2008
McDuff wrote:
Robert,
It may interest you to know that Steppenwolf is not resting on her laurels and basking in her past glories. AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, in fact, represents a new era. Here, for the first time ever, Steppenwolf is representing Chicago in New York with a brand new play, written by a chicago-based ensemble member, directed by a Chicago-based ensemble member and performed by no less than seven ensemble members, five of whom are also Chicago-based. The play and the production have received the highest accolades from legitimate press across the country and standing ovations from New York audiences nightly, the like of which hasn't been seen on Broadway in decades. The box office has seen a return not unlike a successful musical might see. The original investors are already seeing returns because the financial profits have come back so quickly and so strongly.
So, Robert, I'm afraid you're misinformed and badly mistaken: no inflated egos, no wasted time, no hanging onto past glories, and no financial disasters. What we have here is a newspaper article about a group of Chicagoans who miss their lives and their homes, but who believe in what they're representing.
Steppenwolf is a non-profit corporation and, as such, will always provide patrons of the arts with the opportunity to assist financially, to provide support. This isn't begging for money, it's a federally mandated system with an honorable 43 year history. Its purpose is to help keep ticket prices down while producing high-quality theatre locally.
So, Robert, it seems to me that you have two choices; either hang onto your misinformed bitter attitude about something of which you know little, or buy a ticket and see what Steppenwolf is doing these days. You might be pleasantly surprised.
A new era? That insinuates that there was an old era. There might be a new era, but it's irrelevent. The old era ended a long time ago, and the so-called new one has been trying to jumop-start for years.

Very little good, relevent theatre has been produced by Steppenwolf in the past 10 years, except August Osage County. So, if you are a Steppenwolf supporter, I can see why you are specifically mentioning that play as a shining example of the kind of work Steppenwolf is capable of producing.

Well, you certainly are right. August Osage County is indeed a shining example of what Steppenwolf can do. The problem is, Steppenwolf hardly ever does what it is capable of. August Osage County is a wonderful play, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Most of what Steppenwolf has done since about 1996 or 1997 has been utter self-serving tripe. My wife and I dropped our subscriptions about eight years for Chicago Shakespeare. We now subscribe to Goodman as well.

While we have been back to Steppenwolf on an individual play basis (as in August Osage County, which we thoroughly enjoyed), Steppenwolf has not produced a single season worth actually subscribing to in over a decade.

So, while Robert's assessment is pretty harsh, I can see where he's coming from. Steppenwolf just isn't cutting it in this marketplace, despite one very hot play in August Osage County. Except for that play, Steppenwolf's work has been inconsistent and shoddy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pawhuska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
clock repair 13 hr Concerned 1
Nightclub/Bar Jun 21 Indy_girrl78 1
Old Golden Corral Building Sold - What's next f... Jun 14 Cinnamon Bun. 2
News Bartlesville Restaurant Files Lawsuit Over Brea... Jun 9 Cinnamon Bun. 1
What happen n court about Lyndsey Giovinazzo an... (Mar '12) Jun 5 kelsey johnson 18
VOM Breaking News! Wurmbrands son asks for Inve... (Mar '14) Jun 4 Former resident 6
What happened to the Mullendore Murder Case (Aug '08) Jun 4 Former B resident 1,412

Pawhuska Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pawhuska Mortgages