World's Fair site named endangered mo...

World's Fair site named endangered monument

There are 10 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 6, 2007, titled World's Fair site named endangered monument. In it, Newsday reports that:

Rising seas, spreading deserts, intensifying weather and other harbingers of climate change are threatening cultural landmarks from Canada to Antarctica, the World Monuments Fund said Tuesday as it released its ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

alsdjflasdkjflas kdfj

Levittown, NY

#3 Jun 6, 2007
get rid of that ugly thing already!
Nassau Nell

Albany, NY

#4 Jun 6, 2007
TEAR IT DOWN! " Men in Black" made it the butt of a great joke.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#5 Jun 6, 2007
Meleek wrote:
I was at the World's fair a few months back and participated in walk for a cure.
It was a shame to see broken glass and graffati all over.
I can't think of a single spot that hasn't been defaced.
I remember attending the world's Fair in 1964, Before cable the Internet, a World's Fair was THe opportunity to be exposed to the culture of different countries and new scientific innovations. I remember people standing in line in the Science pavailiion just for the opportunity to play Tic-tac-toe with a computer. Having the #7 train drop you off at the entrance made it one of easiest WF's to get too without driving. The Science Paviliion remained a destination for school trips from Brooklyn years after the Fair ended. At one time they had the Gemini capsule and and an old Saturn booster rocket there. Time marches on I guess. With housing in such short supply in NYC, I'm surpised the area has been preserved this long.
Born in Brooklyn

Cortez, CO

#6 Jun 6, 2007
Does anyone remember the rock concerts held on the main level of the pavillion in the late 60's? There had been a beautiful stained glass roof over the pavillion which had to be removed due to fear it would collapse from the vibrations of the music. I saw some pretty good groups there.
Displaced Long Islander

United States

#8 Jun 6, 2007
alsdjflasdkjflaskdfj wrote:
get rid of that ugly thing already!
Why? Because YOU don't like it? What you think of as ugly, brings fond memories to some, a pleasant park area to others, and the rest just ignore it and go about their lives. Chill, alsdjflasdkjflaskdfj, as your mother well knows, just because something is ugly, doesn't mean you have to destroy it.
Harry Baalbag

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jun 6, 2007
someone cut the cheese?
bemused

United States

#10 Jun 6, 2007
it is a waste of space
Was there this weekend

Overland Park, KS

#11 Jun 6, 2007
My daughter's dance recital was in the Queens Theater (inside the NY State Pavilion) Sunday. What a dump. While the inside of the theater is serviceable, seeing the place from the outside is frightening. I remember the wonder of the 1964 World's Fair when I was a small boy, and the scary thing is that I've aged better than the former Worlds Fair buildings. It appears as if no maintenance has been done in 40 years.
If the buildings are worth keeping, they're worth maintaining. Otherwise, just tear them down. I wonder how much has been spent over the years allegedly maintaining these structures... and I wonder whose pocket the money ended up in?
FamilyMan

United States

#12 Jun 6, 2007
If you like to talk about New York World Fairs there is a site call www.peacethroughunderstanding.com . Give it a try its free. One of my favorite sites on the whole web.
Bimbo Island

Sandy Hook, CT

#13 Jun 6, 2007
The World Monuments Fund sound like a big scam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pavilion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Hillary Clinton A New Yorker? Jul 15 cynical stoic 42
News 19-year old dies in car accident (Aug '09) Jul 8 Catherine misses you 33
News Rochester named best city to find summer job Jun '15 Suburban Mom 2
pavilion school (Jul '14) Jul '14 crash 1
News Young People's Pavilion: Help Black Children Ap... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Spotted Girl 11
News Two men arrested on charges of dealing MDMA, ot... (Sep '13) Sep '13 See See 101 1
News PHOTOS: One Philly Man's Crazy Gay Weekend in F... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Europa Report 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pavilion Mortgages