Click on an option to vote

Les "yawn" Fillingane

Jeff "deepend" pool man Harding

Mike "iron fist" Weems

On Point

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#301 May 16, 2013
Bennis Moss wrote:
I have been reading about all the comments about the Fire Hydrants and did my homework. What Lonnie is saying Is right. The Fire Hydrants do effect our rating,But this is not the Fire Depts fault or the City of Bay st.Louis' fault. The Hancock County Water and Sewer Board "who is a private entity" not to be confused with Hancock County Board of Supervisors" is responsible to bring water to the residents who do not have water in Ward 6 is responsible. If the city took over the water in this area they would be responsible to bring water to the hydrants and the residents of that area,which would potentially cost 8 million dollars. That is 3 times our yearly budget for the whole city. We need to let Hancock Water and Sewer search for grants and the city can even help search for grants to complete this project. The money originally allocated for this went to Pearlington's water project. We can also keep our rating by upgrading equipment,which would be cheaper. These are the facts I have searched it out.
The fire hydrants do "affect" our rating not "effect"
JimDavis

Biloxi, MS

#302 May 16, 2013
Veason wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with your assessment, but we did call this a.m. and was told " that the letter Mr. Lonnie was the last letter sent and the city has not responded officially, the wording of dangerously close to losing its rating was accurate and the city has not presented a plan to avoid a rate increase as of last week". The letter we got from Mr. Lonnie was not his notes, but the actual letter from Ms. Fire Bureau. They stated that the info he presented was official from them. I know politics can be finger pointing, but what he gave us,we verified because we went there looking for a candidate. We will vote for him, Les and at large we have no clue.
What you say is true about this letter, sort of. This letter was from 2011 and was talking about a letter in 2008. The city not only responded since then but also fixed everything that could be fixed (as Bennis said, the fire hydrants are all up to the Hancock Water board not the city or the fire department). I guess Lonnie didnt get that information or know that the Fire bureau has been to the fire department since then. A little information gathering from the official people will get you ALL of the facts, not just the ones that a politician wants you to hear in order to get votes. And I have to agree with an earlier post- if ms garcia sat on that board for 5 years how can she have the nerve to say the city of BSL isnt getting hydrants and water put in? Could she not see to it or at least try to make that happen as a board member? Seems like something pretty fishy going on with these accusations.
Deborah

Biloxi, MS

#303 May 16, 2013
On Point wrote:
<quoted text>
The fire hydrants do "affect" our rating not "effect"
Bennis obviously hit a nerve. Thank you Bennis for researching and putting out facts, not partial facts.
Bennis Moss

Tucker, GA

#304 May 16, 2013
Sorry for the typo. Yes I know they do I'm just saying that we need to realize that the cost is more than this city can afford and right now it is Hancock County water and Sewer's issue. We need to work with them but be aware of the enormous cost. If the city was to take over this system you can forget about all other services. I care about ward 6 as much as all the others,but equipment would serve you better than Hydrants. The reason is if your in a wreck in the highway better equipment may help save your life. Better equipment may save your house if it has better water capacity. Usually by the time you need a hydrant your house is not able to be saved. I also would like to say if Lonnie would not have brought this point up though I would have no idea.so I'm glad he did. It's a great point just know if other ways the City can help out rating to try to offset the Hydrants not being in service due to the lack of service of Hancock Water and Sewer.
diver

Biloxi, MS

#305 May 16, 2013
Does anyone know if it is true that when water mains & fire hydrants were first put in out in shoreline that the 400 houses Lonnie is talking about refused to hook up to the water system so that is why there isnt any water&fire mains there? I've heard that but dont know how to confirm it.
Bennis Moss

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#306 May 17, 2013
If they ran the line they were required to hook to the system. They just ran out of funding for the project. But there not required to put water to the hydrants. They only have to provide water to customers who were not able to get water.
Veason

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#307 May 17, 2013
I also checked. Mr. Moss is correct, this was the info the fire bureau gave Mr. Lonnie. He brought up what they gave him. They told me he requested a delay in further rating till the new administration (if any) is sworn. That's a good plan. I don't see anything political with documents.
TinaP

Biloxi, MS

#308 May 17, 2013
Veason wrote:
I also checked. Mr. Moss is correct, this was the info the fire bureau gave Mr. Lonnie. He brought up what they gave him. They told me he requested a delay in further rating till the new administration (if any) is sworn. That's a good plan. I don't see anything political with documents.
I'm just curious why Mr. Lonnie would request a delay. If nothing has changed in wards 5 or 6 as far as the water system or hydrants go since 2007 or 2009 or 2011 or till now in 2013, why should anyone need a delay? What difference would it make who the mayor or council is or a new administration? Is there something different that is done if a different mayor or councilman holds office that affects this rating? Why would that be? I'm also curious why as stated earlier Mrs Garcia who is so vocal about the water system didn't have any progress with this when she was on that board. It sounds to me like the city and mayor and chief is getting a bad rap on this and that the Hancock water board is the one who is responsible to make changes. They seem like where the focus of all this should be, not on a city who doesnt even own this system. Seems like people are spinning their wheels pointing fingers in the wrong direction to me.
Bennis Moss

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#309 May 18, 2013
As far as Mrs. Garcia she gave me a lot of info in this problem. She also resigned somewhat because she wasn't making any headway,but I really don't want to speak for her. I just don't like that the comments are made about her. As far as why you would request a delay? My opinion is because a new council or mayor would not a rating change before they had time to do anything about it. Whether it will or would not I can not say. But that would be my opinion on it.
TinaP

Biloxi, MS

#310 May 18, 2013
I'm not being argumentative and I appreciate your input and information. But I am thinking that this situation has existed under two different mayors and several different council members for around 7 years so why would a change in mayor or council or waiting until august make any difference? Certainly if any of these things could have been fixed by now they would have been. Its hard to believe that both Farve and Fillingame and all of the people on the council since 06 or 07 have either lied or just didnt feel like getting water run where its needed- and surely no one could possibly think that Weems, Harding or any of the other council candidates know some trick for making it happen that Farve or Fillingame didnt know. And if Ms Garcia couldnt make any headway with the Hancock Water and Sewer when she was an actual board member, what does that say? I think the more I know about this the obvious answer is this all sits in the lap of the hancock water board to make it good and fix things, not the city of bsl, not farve, not fillingame, not new council members, not the fire bureau, not weems, harding, falgout, kidd, reed, boudin or anyone else for that matter. So exactly why doesnt the Hancock Water Board step up and make this right, and why dont people start focusing their demands to them, not BSL city??
Bennis Moss

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#311 May 19, 2013
I agree that the Council nor Mayor's can change the Hydrants issue other than to push Hancock Water and Sewer Board l,but they can try to push Hancock Water and Sewer,which Mayor Filingame sits on. he is also only one voice on the Board and they also don't have the funding. The difference I can see if there is a change in council is whenever the new council is sworn in they are required to review the contracts of the city. Maybe they should free up some of the funds are agree to purchase new equipment to keep our rating down in other ways. The Rating is the problem more than the hydrants to me. The reason is it will effect everyone in the city on there insurance,which we all know is high enough now. I'm nit saying the current council would not do agree to the change just if I was running I would look at it as a candidate I know I would so maybe that's what he was thinking.
The River Rats

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#312 May 19, 2013
Seven homeowners invited Mr. Falgout to a question and answer last week. He brought all the info given to him. Not once did he blame the Chief or her men. He stated all this started when a homeowner called (he did not know them)and voiced their concern. He called the Bureau in the husband's presence. This is when he requested more info. He stated that the rating was his concern if nothing is put on the table shortly to help us maintain a 5. Nothing more, nothing less. He stated and we verified that our Mayor sits on Utility Authority which NOW oversees Hancock County utilities, Water Bd. has certificate and city annexed us. Quite confusing isn't it. So are we all, but the rating MIGHT go up if we sit idle. This has been a good level topic, but with no disrespect to Mr. Boudin and Mr. Kidd, We're glad Mr. Falgout pursued this so we DON'T get blindsided by a rate increase. We also verified that he did ASK for any delay possible so the possible new council and or Mayor may address this immediately with some kind of study and city cooperation with the Rating Bureau. Regardless of wins or losses, we are glad he brought it up. That's what any elected official must do.
PHarvey

Biloxi, MS

#313 May 20, 2013
Obviously no one has actually carefully read this letter and noticed the dates on it. It is dated a couple of years ago. Something tells me Lonnie didn't get the REST of the story. and that's what political candidates do....give part of the story and make it into something its not. BUT- regardless of all that, exactly how are any of these candidates going to correct the things they feel need correcting? All this talk about grants they're going to get (really?!?) isnt' a solid plan in my book. I'd really like to hear HOW they will fund all the projects they want to see happen IF they cant get these grants they talk about. I'd also like to know exactly what improvements they could have to Shoreline Park if they were no longer part of BSL and went back to the County since they say BSL hasnt done a thing to improve their area. And their fire rate is a perfect example..if the rating got worse, it would only go back to what is was for the last 50 years, during a time they claim was much better for them before being part of BSL--it didnt bother them then that their rates were much higher, so whats the problem?? AND why doesnt any of this matter except when you're running for office??
Ward sixer

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#314 May 20, 2013
We I am still not convinced first we have to keep in mind we are dealing with wanta be politicians, for the life of me I do not know why someone want s to subject themselves to that. But I figure they are dedicated to their community, so tats a good thing. Next thing Falgout can not ask for a delay in anything all he is a want be . I have listened to him bad mouth everyone and every department, until he gets called out on it and he says that is not what I meant. Really he tells everyone what he is going to do when he is elected, someone better tell him he can't do anything with out the rest of the council approving it. he thinks he can hire people directly for ward 6. Someone needs to tell him or remind him that every project he affiliated himself with, got rid of him. He makes more waves then anyone. I have heard him belittle Ray Kidd over the past year on how he does nothing. Let me tell you we out here love Ray and he does do a lot of good he just does not go around and tell everyone how great he is and how he is the best thing for this city. Lonnie I guess when you LOSE to RAY you might stay out of council meetings since you have nothing to say or that anyone wants to hear. And yes he did blame the chief but the look on his , chuckie and Sams faces when the whole city administration walked in at the town hall meeting was priceless, did anyone notice most of the people who attended were wearing Ray Kidd shirts. I guess Lonnies supporters were filling the fire buckets.
The River Rats wrote:
Seven homeowners invited Mr. Falgout to a question and answer last week. He brought all the info given to him. Not once did he blame the Chief or her men. He stated all this started when a homeowner called (he did not know them)and voiced their concern. He called the Bureau in the husband's presence. This is when he requested more info. He stated that the rating was his concern if nothing is put on the table shortly to help us maintain a 5. Nothing more, nothing less. He stated and we verified that our Mayor sits on Utility Authority which NOW oversees Hancock County utilities, Water Bd. has certificate and city annexed us. Quite confusing isn't it. So are we all, but the rating MIGHT go up if we sit idle. This has been a good level topic, but with no disrespect to Mr. Boudin and Mr. Kidd, We're glad Mr. Falgout pursued this so we DON'T get blindsided by a rate increase. We also verified that he did ASK for any delay possible so the possible new council and or Mayor may address this immediately with some kind of study and city cooperation with the Rating Bureau. Regardless of wins or losses, we are glad he brought it up. That's what any elected official must do.
really

Ocean Springs, MS

#315 May 20, 2013
Bay Ambassador wrote:
It is often seen that in a small town the election becomes more of a popularity contest than a selection of the right person for the position.
Mike Weems is a very good person. His wife is a very good person. Together they are community role models. I also hold them in the highest praise for being what America needs most...good parents.
As much as Mike wants to be Mayor it is maybe God's intervention telling him to keep up the good work in a more honest life than that of a politician. Just being a good person doesn't make someone prepared nor qualified to run a very complex city.
Les too is a very good person and socially a good friend to have. He too unfortunately has no business being the Mayor except that he won a popularity contest 4 years ago and since picked all of the low hanging fruit from Eddie Favre's orchard.
I don't know too much about our third choice Jeff Harding except that he too is a social bug of sorts and very close with his daughters. Everyone keeps squeezing the juice out of a dried up fact that he is not from here. The truth is that he has he lived here longer than most people currently living in Bay St Louis. Whats more is that he has enough personal wealth to live anywhere he wishes to but lives on Main St in BSL. He is at every City function, parade, fund raiser, and council meeting. He is successful and clearly is the most prepared to make our town a place where our children can raise our grandchildren.
Please....whatever you do,forget the popularity contest or the ridiculous campaign slogans and vote for the right candidate.
P.S. a simple fact that you can call to verify is that our city is currently BROKE. Who is going to float the next 3 or 4 payrolls for our police and city employees. We can't run our beautiful city like this.
Is that you Jeff Hardin
Ward sixer

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#316 May 20, 2013
Good one or its Joey. Bennis you should of ran for wad 5 you would of beat that Booodam
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that you Jeff Hardin
Bennis Moss

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#317 May 20, 2013
I think Joey does a good job of questioning the council. I also would like to say I wasn't real fond of the current administration taking up about 30 mins of the time that the councilman at large or ward 6 candidates should have had as time for questions. Nothing against the administration,but there's no doubt in my mind that was planned. Most candidates can not debate with the Mayor. I would hope he would know more about the city's position on issues than a candidate. I think most people wanted to hear how much the candidates knew. Other than that I'm gonna leave the Lonnie and Ray issues alone.
Bennis Moss

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#318 May 20, 2013
Questioning the council and mayor it should have said.
Shame on You

Ocean Springs, MS

#319 May 21, 2013
Bennis Moss wrote:
I think Joey does a good job of questioning the council. I also would like to say I wasn't real fond of the current administration taking up about 30 mins of the time that the councilman at large or ward 6 candidates should have had as time for questions. Nothing against the administration,but there's no doubt in my mind that was planned. Most candidates can not debate with the Mayor. I would hope he would know more about the city's position on issues than a candidate. I think most people wanted to hear how much the candidates knew. Other than that I'm gonna leave the Lonnie and Ray issues alone.
So you are saying that the adminsration should remain silent, while lies are spewed-i thought you were for truth and honesty..
You are saying the police chief and fire chief should not have responded to the misinformation that a candidate was using for his own political agenda.
As a voter of ward sith I am glad that they spoke up-I respect them and the position that they hold...(also got a chance to speak with them one on one about issues)
I am proud of where I live-and to be truthful I have not seen a rat chase anyone or animal-
Correct me if I am wrong, but the mayor is a candidate and i think he had a right to speak... I thought it was a political forum

Since: May 13

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#320 May 21, 2013
Shame on You wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that the adminsration should remain silent, while lies are spewed-i thought you were for truth and honesty..
You are saying the police chief and fire chief should not have responded to the misinformation that a candidate was using for his own political agenda.
As a voter of ward sith I am glad that they spoke up-I respect them and the position that they hold...(also got a chance to speak with them one on one about issues)
I am proud of where I live-and to be truthful I have not seen a rat chase anyone or animal-
Correct me if I am wrong, but the mayor is a candidate and i think he had a right to speak... I thought it was a political forum
First off, much of the misinformation in the most recent election was started by many of those who were responding/ defending. Fortunately, many of us are more intelligent than you take us for. Although I have never been a Mike Weems supporter, much of what was purported to have been said or done by him was simply not true. Many of the rumors/ misinformation were started by some very close to the Mayor. This I know for a fact. Whether or not the Mayor was aware of their actions, I am unaware. Because of that, I cannot condemn Mayor Fillingame. I do agree with Bennis about wanting to hear more from the other candidates, but not being allowed to in this instance. Yes the Mayor was and is a candidate, but his administration is heavy handed at times... Or at least they can be. I too am proud of where I live. Please do not accuse me of not being so because I question the powers that be. That is our God given right as Americans. When people stop questioning, then we will truly be in trouble. God Bless the Bay!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pass Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Smooth Talker and User in Long Beach Aug 12 Qzvar 3
looking for old friends (Aug '16) Aug 12 OUR CHILDREN 6
News His church in Mississippi welcomes LGBTQ people... Jul '17 TomInElPaso 5
Thinking of moving (Dec '16) Jun '17 For what it is worth 5
News This postcard from 1941 was made for busy (or l... Jun '17 not much shrimp 1
News Old Coast recipes are treasures, indeed Jun '17 not much shrimp 1
News Ita s fresh vegetables time on the Coast Jun '17 not much shrimp 1

Pass Christian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pass Christian Mortgages