First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tax Paying Voter

Mountain Home, AR

#1 Aug 1, 2014
I am so very pleased to hear Waveland Fire Chief, Mike Smith, is running for Mayor of Waveland. I had heard of only 3 candidates and was none too happy with the choices. I must say I am very surprised a young 1st term Councilman from ward 4 would give up his council seat to make a bid for Mayor. I feel he has no chance at all of becoming our next Mayor and he could have been more effective had he held on to his council seat. Of the 2 other candidates, 1 is a self serving city employee who is not fit to run our city since he, as Waveland's recovery manager, is one of the reasons we are in limbo with our Pier( he, along with Digital Engineering, was supposed to be watching the contractor to assure the Pier was up to FEMA specs). The other candidate I am completely unaware of anything he has done to move the city of Waveland forward. I have never seen him at the regular council meetings and have never heard his name associated with any of the recovery of Waveland. I feel we are very fortunate to have a man of Mike Smith's caliber seeking to run our city. No matter what anyone thinks of Mayor Garcia, he has done an exceptional job in four years, bringing us from the edge of bankruptcy with a $1,000,000.00 deficit to a reserve of $2,000,000.00. I feel our city is back on a positive course and now we need more development and industry to create more job opportunities and a stronger tax base. I feel Mike Smith is more than capable of leading our city into the next phase of recovery. I look forward to hearing all of the candidate's plan for our city and moving us into the next stage of recovery. I propose an open forum of all the candidates so the voters of Waveland can meet them and ask questions regarding issues important to them and hopefully get straight answers to those questions.
Another Taxpayer

La Porte, TX

#2 Aug 2, 2014
I agree that Mayor Garcia has done an exceptional job. The city had many problems; too much debt, not enough population after Katrina to support the number of city employees, an undisciplined police department with multiple lawsuits, other lawsuits against the city, etc. In all of these cases, Mayor Garcia has gotten the best outcome for the city that could be expected. I can only imagine the personal stress Mr. Garcia must have been under many times during the last four years. Our Mayor has earned the right to serve 4 more years, 4 years that should be much less stressful than the first 4, although undoubtedly there will always be challenges. I am disappointed that Mayor Garcia has decided to not run for a second term, and wish him the best in his future endeavors.
Yet Another Taxpayer

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#3 Aug 3, 2014
Unfortunately, we now have a water bill that is $85 per family. I wish there was a way we could just spend money smarter instead of taxing the families in Waveland. Crying poor mouth gets old. Paying a grand each year for water is painful. And you can't deduct it on your taxes, if you somehow were hoping for that. That was the political move. Mileage rates are a big topic, so this one snuck in the back end.

I'm not blaming Garcia. He just didn't really do anything financially for the people. He's a good guy at heart, but he just didn't have the education it seems to run a city.
jasmine

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#4 Aug 3, 2014
I think we should give credit to the mayor and the board of alderman for pulling our great city back to where it is today!! I remember the alderman gave their pay up for a couple of months.
Another Taxpayer

La Porte, TX

#5 Aug 3, 2014
Yet Another Taxpayer wrote:
Unfortunately, we now have a water bill that is $85 per family. I wish there was a way we could just spend money smarter instead of taxing the families in Waveland. Crying poor mouth gets old. Paying a grand each year for water is painful. And you can't deduct it on your taxes, if you somehow were hoping for that. That was the political move. Mileage rates are a big topic, so this one snuck in the back end.
I'm not blaming Garcia. He just didn't really do anything financially for the people. He's a good guy at heart, but he just didn't have the education it seems to run a city.
Mayor Garcia has done an awesome job. Give the man credit for the terrific job he has done. He is leaving the city with a $2,000,000.00 emergency fund; he came to the city when it was in great financial distress and there was talk of removing the city charter. There was no money to pay the police and firemen. Mayor Garcia took action and fixed the problems. I don’t understand what you were expecting of the Mayor that he did not deliver. I agree that $85 a month for water is high, but electricity, cable, phone, etc. are all high as well. Long Beach charges $75 a month for water. Bay St. Louis is cheap at $40 a month, but Bay St. Louis has a hard time paying the bills on time and has virtually no emergency fund. As for education, I have worked for people with college degrees who were very good at their jobs and some who were not. I have also worked for a few high school graduates that were promoted based upon merit, not formal education, and they were practical, down to earth, and knew how to get things done, just like Mayor Garcia.
jasmine

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#6 Aug 3, 2014
you must not ever go to the board meetings!!! because you
dont seem to know what all has been accomplished in the city of Waveland!!! waveland was condemned for everything they have done. oh everybody wanted to move from here and go to bay st. Louis, well BSL is in worse shape than waveland was. curious to see what they are going to do with their water bills now
Taxpayer too

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#7 Aug 4, 2014
If you attend the meetings you would see that the spike in the water bill is not for water....It is for sewage and waste water that was passed on from the County Water and Sewer. I blame them and Alderwoman Stahler (whom is Waveland's voice on that board) for this; had she been as loud about Waveland paying the largest portion of the sewer bill as she was about her Katrina museum, maybe something would have been done..
Wait for it

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#8 Aug 5, 2014
The $2,000,000 that everyone seems to love having in the bank isn't doing anyone much good when no services have been provided. Streets were not paved. Ditches were not maintained. Right of way was not cut. Projects were not completed. And the list can go on and on. The police department still is housed in a mobile home that was passed down to them after the fire department got two new facilities. There is space in city hall that is used as storage that could at least provide a little better condition for the police, as well as there is a HUGE "training room" on top of the massive central fire station on Hwy 90 that could house the police department as well. Wait until the state and federal government start to de-obligate funding for projects and the city is on the hook for projects not complete, such as the police department on McLaurin that sits and as an eyesore and will have to be torn down, and the Garfield Ladner Pier that was built below required elevations and other projects that money was given to the city but nothing was gained. It will be painful when what is rumored comes to pass in the not so distant future and the money has to be paid back. But hey! We have a beautiful City Hall and 2 Fire Stations. Just have to watch falling into craters on the roads and you never have to worry about traffic getting to Coleman Ave. No one wants to build there nor do they want to visit it. Pains to repay from what wasn't rebuilt is coming. And the only other thing that could make it better is if Lana Noonan from the Alliance For Good Government runs for mayor. She sticks her nose into a lot of places. Now is her chance to run for mayor and put her ideas to work. She's got my vote. Wait for it.
reminder

Gulfport, MS

#9 Aug 6, 2014
Another Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Mayor Garcia has done an awesome job. Give the man credit for the terrific job he has done. He is leaving the city with a $2,000,000.00 emergency fund; he came to the city when it was in great financial distress and there was talk of removing the city charter. There was no money to pay the police and firemen. Mayor Garcia took action and fixed the problems. I don’t understand what you were expecting of the Mayor that he did not deliver. I agree that $85 a month for water is high, but electricity, cable, phone, etc. are all high as well. Long Beach charges $75 a month for water. Bay St. Louis is cheap at $40 a month, but Bay St. Louis has a hard time paying the bills on time and has virtually no emergency fund. As for education, I have worked for people with college degrees who were very good at their jobs and some who were not. I have also worked for a few high school graduates that were promoted based upon merit, not formal education, and they were practical, down to earth, and knew how to get things done, just like Mayor Garcia.
He did not know how to amend the budget-laid blame on Longo for his short comings after he was in office for almost a year..
laid off people who lost homes-
left unfinished fema projects-who will pay for that
brags on his reserve fund-while everyone is having to buy new tires, wheel alignments-and do not forget the lawsuits on the employees on the people he laid off-
Another Taxpayer

La Porte, TX

#10 Aug 6, 2014
Nothing can be done without money to pay people to do it. City workers are being hired back, repaving is being done. The Mayor made tough decisions and did what he had to do. The new police station walls were not being built to the agreed upon FEMA standards by the contractor, so the city filed a lawsuit against the contractor and construction was shut down. What was the city supposed to do? There was an article in the paper recently that suggested a remedy has been put forth to FEMA, and the city is waiting on FEMA’s reply. The police dept. has had to operate out of a temporary location for too long, and maybe the city can do better by them. The Garfield Ladner pier was repaired after Katrina and opened under the previous administration. It was not until after Hurricane Isaac that it was discovered that the pier was not rebuilt to FEMA specifications, so how can you blame Mayor Garcia for that? Coleman Ave. was not exactly a thriving downtown area prior to Katrina. There were some businesses on Coleman, but until the population comes back and over half of the lots south of Central Ave. are not vacant, there is no reason for businesses to come back. Mayor Garcia inherited a city that could not pay its bills, and had too many employees for the population. It is unfortunate that the previous administration left it up to the new administration to fix the problems. The Mayor had no choice but to make adjustments to increase revenue and lay people off; I know he took no pleasure in it. What would you have done if you had a business that had no work for its employees, and the only way to keep them on the payroll was to go deeper in debt? Every city on the coast needs an emergency fund, because unfortunately, it will be needed. The tough decisions have hurt some good people and no one likes that.
Waveland Resident

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#11 Aug 6, 2014
Tax Paying Voter wrote:
I am so very pleased to hear Waveland Fire Chief, Mike Smith, is running for Mayor of Waveland. I had heard of only 3 candidates and was none too happy with the choices. I must say I am very surprised a young 1st term Councilman from ward 4 would give up his council seat to make a bid for Mayor. I feel he has no chance at all of becoming our next Mayor and he could have been more effective had he held on to his council seat. Of the 2 other candidates, 1 is a self serving city employee who is not fit to run our city since he, as Waveland's recovery manager, is one of the reasons we are in limbo with our Pier( he, along with Digital Engineering, was supposed to be watching the contractor to assure the Pier was up to FEMA specs). The other candidate I am completely unaware of anything he has done to move the city of Waveland forward. I have never seen him at the regular council meetings and have never heard his name associated with any of the recovery of Waveland. I feel we are very fortunate to have a man of Mike Smith's caliber seeking to run our city. No matter what anyone thinks of Mayor Garcia, he has done an exceptional job in four years, bringing us from the edge of bankruptcy with a $1,000,000.00 deficit to a reserve of $2,000,000.00. I feel our city is back on a positive course and now we need more development and industry to create more job opportunities and a stronger tax base. I feel Mike Smith is more than capable of leading our city into the next phase of recovery. I look forward to hearing all of the candidate's plan for our city and moving us into the next stage of recovery. I propose an open forum of all the candidates so the voters of Waveland can meet them and ask questions regarding issues important to them and hopefully get straight answers to those questions.
Apparently you really don't know who "the other candidate" is at all since he has attended nearly all of the meetings in the last year. I must agree I do totally agree with you on your opinions of the young 1st term alderman and the self serving city employee! Even some of your points about Chief Smith are right on, but maybe you should hear the "other" candidates ideas and plans before you make your mind up not to mention any others who may still come out of the woodworks!
Not Tuned In

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#12 Aug 8, 2014
Who is this self serving city employee?
Waveland Resident

Bartlesville, OK

#13 Aug 12, 2014
Apparently there is more information about the pier than the public is being told. Seems that the contractor offered to make the pier right with regards to elevation if the City would drop the lawsuit, but our Illustrious Mayor would not. So now we are on our 3rd summer of no Pier and why? All I can say is Good Riddance David Garcia.

Sadly if Mike Smith wins I have a feeling he will be a puppet on string with Garcia controlling the strings.

To Not Tuned in, just call City Hall and ask who the Recovery Manager is and you will get your answer.
Another Waveland Resident

Slidell, LA

#14 Aug 13, 2014
First it was turles, now the pier was not built to the correct FEMA standards?

What engineering firm was used to design the pier to code? Who acted as the project and construction management team to assure that the construction was built to the required standards?
Why are we paying engineering fees now and for what?

Some of these same questions could be asked of the police station debacle.
Wavelandian

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#15 Sep 4, 2014
Looks like most of the city is running for something. Any thoughts?
Wave bye bye Bay

Houston, TX

#16 Sep 4, 2014
Would David Garcia please entertain the thought of running for Mayor of Bay St. Louis?? I'll GIVE him my house.
Moving out

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#17 Sep 5, 2014
Sounds like one of those #€^} a%#. From the alliance for good govt. boy those three are the dumbest people walking around they must of been drinking too much koolaide
Wave bye bye Bay wrote:
Would David Garcia please entertain the thought of running for Mayor of Bay St. Louis?? I'll GIVE him my house.
Wave bye bye Bay

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#18 Sep 6, 2014
Moving out wrote:
Sounds like one of those #€^} a%#. From the alliance for good govt. boy those three are the dumbest people walking around they must of been drinking too much koolaide<quoted text>
Between utility hikes and property taxes increase, I'm paying an average of about $3600.00 a year. I'm retired and I will have to save 2 months of retirement alone just to pay water and taxes! The admin of Bay St. Louis needs to trim back HOURS... Not necessarily personnel if they had a half of frigging brains. I still say Garcia should come clean up Bay St. Louis' MESS!!!! The council and mayor of the bay are a bunch of joke. All they do is bicker and spend recklessly. So, my offer stands. Garcia, please, please, PLEASE run for mayor of BSL!
Just a thought

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#19 Sep 6, 2014
Maybe this Santo Saucier character can sell his HUGE signs after he loses and donate the proceeds to the Bay.
Wavelandian

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#20 Sep 27, 2014
Amazingly, a little over a month from elections and streets are paved, the police station is supposedly going to be worked on again, and plenty of smiling faces making grandiose promises. I say see though the BS and vote for the one you think will do the best job and not because he's your uncle's brother's cousin. I think the whole boards should step down and make way for newer, fresher ideas. Unfortunately, egos and paychecks prevail and reelection is sought. I'm not pushing for any particular candidate(s), I have made my decision, out with the old, in with the new. Come on Nov. 4.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pass Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking lawn care service provider. Jul 19 calebregan 1
News Two local men murdered Jul 19 YourBrother 1
Diamondhead POA is stealing people's right to vote Jul 8 Pay4urowngolf 1
Over 10,000 FEMA trailers (full-size) in Hope. ... (Feb '06) Jun 28 Bruce 124
Looking for George & Nikki Landry Jun 28 C E Lowe 2
News Bay cited for public records delay (Jul '15) Jun 24 BTPFTP 4
News Suspect in shootout with deputies facing new fe... Jun '16 nicole 1

Pass Christian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance