Auditor: Bay St. Louis' funding reser...

Auditor: Bay St. Louis' funding reserves dwindling

There are 21 comments on the Sunherald.com story from Jul 8, 2014, titled Auditor: Bay St. Louis' funding reserves dwindling. In it, Sunherald.com reports that:

JENNIFER LENAIN/SPECIAL TO THE SUN HERALD CPA Mike Guel addresses the Bay St. Louis City Council during its meeting Tuesday, July 9, 2014.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sunherald.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jasmine

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#1 Jul 8, 2014
this is so sad!!!!!! how in the world did this happen??????? I wonder if bsl is going to catch hell like waveland did. I see a lot of residents from bsl still dogging out waveland
Robert

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#2 Jul 9, 2014
jasmine wrote:
this is so sad!!!!!! how in the world did this happen??????? I wonder if bsl is going to catch hell like waveland did. I see a lot of residents from bsl still dogging out waveland
Is this the same auditor who said BSL was in great shape just before the election? We elected a big phoney.
Thomas

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#3 Jul 9, 2014
I can not figure this out the audit has not been released yet. I hear the council has held up the utility rates just so the audit says something about it. And if we are in dire straights like lonnie the loonie says and we have to lay off people to make it to the end of the year, why oh tell me why did they all approve a pay hike for the halftime police people. doing my research it seems our reserve police people will be some of the highest paid on the coast 15 an hour. Oh I bet all the grass cutters are mad about that.The cry from council we are doomed we need to cut but you spend and spend really do not understand this. Guess it is time for me to start going back to the meetings and voice my option. Anyway good luck to the bay we hope you do make it, its really tough all over, it might work if they could get together and stop playing games. God Bless.
Norm

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#4 Jul 9, 2014
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>Is this the same auditor who said BSL was in great shape just before the election? We elected a big phoney.
Its no only Les, but Taylor and all of the long serving council people who kept giving Les a blank check. The new council members have been trying to slow things down but the rubber stamps still hang together.. We will remember..
jasmine

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#5 Jul 9, 2014
if they are as broke as they are saying how can they make payroll for there employees??? and pay their bill??? looks like bankrupt!!
Molly

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#6 Jul 10, 2014
jasmine wrote:
if they are as broke as they are saying how can they make payroll for there employees??? and pay their bill??? looks like bankrupt!!
Les has spent all of BSL money and reserves to bring tourists to Main street merchants.. Now he wants the locals who he has done nothing for except cut services, to pick up the tab.. What gall.,
Molly

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#7 Jul 10, 2014
Les has spent all of BSL money and reserves to bring tourists to the Main Street merchants. Now he wants the Locals who he has done nothing for , except cut services and police manpower, to pick up the tab. What gall.
Olliver

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#8 Jul 10, 2014
Thomas wrote:
I can not figure this out the audit has not been released yet. I hear the council has held up the utility rates just so the audit says something about it. And if we are in dire straights like lonnie the loonie says and we have to lay off people to make it to the end of the year, why oh tell me why did they all approve a pay hike for the halftime police people. doing my research it seems our reserve police people will be some of the highest paid on the coast 15 an hour. Oh I bet all the grass cutters are mad about that.The cry from council we are doomed we need to cut but you spend and spend really do not understand this. Guess it is time for me to start going back to the meetings and voice my option. Anyway good luck to the bay we hope you do make it, its really tough all over, it might work if they could get together and stop playing games. God Bless.
Want to save money? Clip Rafferty,s tail.
lol

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#9 Jul 11, 2014
How is it possible that BSL is struggling financially? When Les ran for re-election, he assured the voters that BSL was in Great Financial shape!! The Coffers are full and over flowing!! There was plenty of money to pay Mr. Rafferty HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars (probably much more) to cover up a LIE and use every dirty trick in the book to Discredit and Damage the reputation s and careers of 2 longtime, loyal and dedicated City employees. Maybe Mr. Daugherty could float Les a loan. He might want to build another Harbor or do something nice for "Old Town!"
lol

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#10 Jul 11, 2014
The name is Rafferty not Daugherty!
Council WHO

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#11 Jul 11, 2014
Someone tell me this falgot person is not really a councilman in the city. I am amazed how he speaks for the rest council. only problem he has no idea what he is saying. I am extremely pissed at myself, because I know he is a councilman, because he is mine and I voted for him. I cannot believe his lack of well of anything he tells us everything is the mayors fault and he will fix it. The only thing he knows according to him is everyone they are close personnel friends. You are an embarrassment to this city, and I will work hard next election to change that. And before anyone says anything yes the city has a lot of problems and need to be fixed, but to make the comments like he has is disrespectful to the rest of the councilmembers. I just wonder if they are going to take this sitting down or step up and do what they are suppose to. Guess what he
lol wrote:
How is it possible that BSL is struggling financially? When Les ran for re-election, he assured the voters that BSL was in Great Financial shape!! The Coffers are full and over flowing!! There was plenty of money to pay Mr. Rafferty HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars (probably much more) to cover up a LIE and use every dirty trick in the book to Discredit and Damage the reputation s and careers of 2 longtime, loyal and dedicated City employees. Maybe Mr. Daugherty could float Les a loan. He might want to build another Harbor or do something nice for "Old Town!"
Melvin

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#12 Jul 11, 2014
Council WHO wrote:
Someone tell me this falgot person is not really a councilman in the city. I am amazed how he speaks for the rest council. only problem he has no idea what he is saying. I am extremely pissed at myself, because I know he is a councilman, because he is mine and I voted for him. I cannot believe his lack of well of anything he tells us everything is the mayors fault and he will fix it. The only thing he knows according to him is everyone they are close personnel friends. You are an embarrassment to this city, and I will work hard next election to change that. And before anyone says anything yes the city has a lot of problems and need to be fixed, but to make the comments like he has is disrespectful to the rest of the councilmembers. I just wonder if they are going to take this sitting down or step up and do what they are suppose to. Guess what he <quoted text>
The council dosen,'t deserve any respect. Their past action or non action helped cause the problems.
BillyNoGoat

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#13 Jul 15, 2014
Council WHO wrote:
Someone tell me this falgot person is not really a councilman in the city. I am amazed how he speaks for the rest council. only problem he has no idea what he is saying. I am extremely pissed at myself, because I know he is a councilman, because he is mine and I voted for him. I cannot believe his lack of well of anything he tells us everything is the mayors fault and he will fix it. The only thing he knows according to him is everyone they are close personnel friends. You are an embarrassment to this city, and I will work hard next election to change that. And before anyone says anything yes the city has a lot of problems and need to be fixed, but to make the comments like he has is disrespectful to the rest of the councilmembers. I just wonder if they are going to take this sitting down or step up and do what they are suppose to. Guess what he <quoted text>
Favre and Falgout are the ones who brought finances to light. Mr. Falgout and Mr. Favre has told us (my wife and I live in 6) since day one that Les' figures was bloated. I attend mtgs and community mtgs and Mr. Falgout has accomplished many items in a Ward that has been neglected for 8 years since annexation. He is no supporter of Les, he has said it to Les and he does represent the best: Ward 6! Boudin, Falgout and Favre or BFF as Les' Legion are calling them, are standing up for city and annexation! It's about time!
Ward6Willie

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#14 Jul 15, 2014
Council WHO wrote:
He's been in office 11 months and him, Mr. Mike and Mr. Joey are only ones with "mountain oysters " to stand up to Leslie and his numbers. The four "Lesvoters" are getting ear fills from their citizens. Lonnie has done four out of five things we (neighbors) have asked with Les promising the fifth when with Lonnie in his car . Never done as usual!!! Get your election slams in order cause 2017 is around the corner. We'll be looking for ya!
Billie goat

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#15 Jul 16, 2014
Willie are you serious or just well you know. Yes I agree with you Mike has done a lot and is very smart and will get a lot of things done. Joey well as long as he is dealing in trash he is happy, oh wait I mean slinging it. as far as LF I have worked with him and I also live in he best ward 6 not because of him it is because of the residents out here that make t that way. all LF does is say he knows everyone and has talked tpo them, until you ask were they are and why has noting been done. Simply he is full of it a loud mouth nothing and you can bet your bottom dollar because I am going to spend my last to run against him next time. That is if he makes it that far I hear pretell that some people have turned the tide on him and have contacted his bestie friend in the ethics division.
Ward6Willie wrote:
<quoted text> He's been in office 11 months and him, Mr. Mike and Mr. Joey are only ones with "mountain oysters " to stand up to Leslie and his numbers. The four "Lesvoters" are getting ear fills from their citizens. Lonnie has done four out of five things we (neighbors) have asked with Les promising the fifth when with Lonnie in his car . Never done as usual!!! Get your election slams in order cause 2017 is around the corner. We'll be looking for ya!
jasmine

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#16 Jul 16, 2014
how did the council not know the city was broke. shouldn't they make sure all the bills on the docket are being paid? and each time they vote on something shouldn't they know if they are budgeted for it before they voted yes on everything.
Ward6Willie

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#17 Jul 16, 2014
Billie goat wrote:
Willie are you serious or just well you know. Yes I agree with you Mike has done a lot and is very smart and will get a lot of things done. Joey well as long as he is dealing in trash he is happy, oh wait I mean slinging it. as far as LF I have worked with him and I also live in he best ward 6 not because of him it is because of the residents out here that make t that way. all LF does is say he knows everyone and has talked tpo them, until you ask were they are and why has noting been done. Simply he is full of it a loud mouth nothing and you can bet your bottom dollar because I am going to spend my last to run against him next time. That is if he makes it that far I hear pretell that some people have turned the tide on him and have contacted his bestie friend in the ethics division. <quoted text>
Sounds like you better start saving your nickels goat, you'll need it! Get Tommy K to help ya! He's a winner or is that whiner like you! Speak with Mike Favre get his opinion on LF, but that's right you're the mash goat not good goat! We got him elected, he's doing great job and we'll help him again.
weigandwonder

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#18 Jul 20, 2014
Lonnie is a LIAR, too stupid to turn off his phone during City Council meetings, so that everyone can hear Libby Garcia putting words in his mouth; Les will tell you whatever you want to hear, and Mike Favre is a slow-witted idiot who has to wait for his brother to text him, IN THE MEETINGS, before he can ask a halfway decent question. Joey, in fact, should not even BE on the council, as well as F&F, for they want NO Good to come to BSL. Wendy needs to get a handle on Robert's Rules of Order, so there are no more 11 pm meetings, where everything is hashed and rehashed. Jeff the "preacher", also needs to stop his self-serving agenda, and Bobby needs to "GET A CLUE".Come on, people, get beyond your small-minded opinions, get over the GOOD OLD BOY syndrome, and TRY to work together to better the Bay. BTW, the city is doing all of its work on a skeleton crew, with part timers shouldering most of the burden. Check the public works full time crew. They sit around playing cards, on the clock ,when it rains. They have no respect for their boss, and we have it on good authority that maintenance on all of the equipment is non-existent. That's what some of those clown-fest meetings should address, not the same old fingerprinting, getting us NOWHERE.
John

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#19 Jul 26, 2014
The citizens of Bay Saint Louis are so foolish and some of our council even worse than that.The fact is cities cash reserve has been dwindling since 2000.By 2009,when Les took office,,the cash reserve was around 100,000, down from 3,000,000 in 2000.thats understandable with all the cost shareing(matching funds required for Katrina recovery projects)but plenty of that money was spent up before Katrina.Its all a matter of record.The next big misconception is Les was covering something up.I have heard Les at numerious council meetings say that the city would come in on budget.Never heard him say we are rolling in the money.He has always been cautiously optimistic. Heck the city council has gotten copy of a city audit every year,on time.Do some of the council need help understanding them.Its all a matter of record.
Ward6Willie

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#20 Jul 28, 2014
You need to go get a Sept . 2009 final audit on record at City Hall & Council. Les was left with, when he was sworn in in July 2009 :$3 mil in cash gen'l fund unobliquated,$4 mil cash dedicated funds from diff. agencies and & $245,000 in utility fund reserve. Check following year: Les spent it all! This info was given to me Sunday by a very dear friend and loyal past Les supporter. No witch hunt or glee here sir, facts supported by numbers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pass Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Smooth Talker and User in Long Beach Aug 12 Qzvar 3
looking for old friends (Aug '16) Aug 12 OUR CHILDREN 6
News His church in Mississippi welcomes LGBTQ people... Jul '17 TomInElPaso 5
Thinking of moving (Dec '16) Jun '17 For what it is worth 5
News This postcard from 1941 was made for busy (or l... Jun '17 not much shrimp 1
News Old Coast recipes are treasures, indeed Jun '17 not much shrimp 1
News Ita s fresh vegetables time on the Coast Jun '17 not much shrimp 1

Pass Christian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pass Christian Mortgages