10-year-old dies in Bay shooting

10-year-old dies in Bay shooting

There are 104 comments on the Sunherald.com story from Jul 4, 2011, titled 10-year-old dies in Bay shooting. In it, Sunherald.com reports that:

A 10-year-old boy died Sunday in Bay St. Louis after what appears to be an accidental shooting at a home on Hancock Street on Sunday evening.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sunherald.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Angry

United States

#1 Jul 4, 2011
The home of the grandparents are Rita Watson and Don Watson. 2 seasoned officers of the law. Let me tell you how cold Rita is. She knocks on the door of the little boy's mom's house. As coldly as she could she said that the little boy shot himself by accident and if she wanted to, she can go view his body at the funeral home. With that, she turned and left. The investigators and the coroner had already processed the scene. Here's the slap in the face: the funeral home was closed. Those sonofab!tches waited 3 and a half hours to notify the mother. AND they won't return the family's phone calls ,.whom they have been trying to get more information on what happened.

I hope like hell the Bay PD stepped out of this investigation and let another county or state police take over. Can we say negligent homicide?
Youdontknow

Valdosta, GA

#2 Jul 5, 2011
She loves Gavin and her family. They are devastated by this tragedy.
Angry

United States

#3 Jul 5, 2011
Didn't say she didn't love the little boy. How she handled it was digusting. Give the family anwers.
Sorry

Gulfport, MS

#4 Jul 5, 2011
My sincere condolences to Gavin's entire family! I know them all and have never seen so much pain in my life. They are all so destroyed that they are numb. Please everyone pray for this family. They are ALL good people and need our support. Grief is a powerful thing. It displayes in many ways. My prayers are for all of you! Take comfort in knowing that beautiful Gavin is with the Lord - his perfect little angel.
Broken Hearted

Victoria, MN

#5 Jul 5, 2011
This is a vey sad incident. If the 3 1/2 hour delay in telling the parents is truly corect, I can understand your anger but everyone handles stress differently.
Negligent Homicide....Highly Unlikely! This was a tragic accident, pure and simple.
I know both famlies involved and I can assure you, no ammount of money, Lawyers or Private Investigators will change the outcome.
Bay P.D. will conduct a complete investigation, Cheif Denardo will not play favorites or hide anything.
Prayers and Strength goes out to both famlies.
So Sad

Clinton, IA

#6 Jul 5, 2011
Angry, you are so right!! The Storey family should have been notified sooner. Also, I do know that the Storey's wanted answers that night, and no one would answer call.
Sorry

Gulfport, MS

#7 Jul 5, 2011
You can't blame anyone but the coroner for not notifying the Storeys sooner. Everyone else was tied up in the investigation. It is the duty of the coroner to notify the families - it always has been. I would be interested to hear her reason for the delay.
Tragic

Gulfport, MS

#8 Jul 5, 2011
Maybe they wanted the child to be in a different "state" when his parents saw him, instead of the way he would have been seen at the time of his death? Who would want their last memory of their child to be at the scene of the accident?? It takes time I'm sure to process a scene like that, and I would hope that no parent would have to be exposed to such a sight. Everyone here with their speculations should shut the hell up. A young child has died accidentally and tragically. Period. NO one would have wanted that to happen and I'm sure NO one would want parents, grandparents or anyone else to suffer more than they already are. All of the "should have", "I would have", "They could have", he didn't do this or she didn't do that and on and on needs to stop. Tragedy strikes without warning, even for the most careful of people. It could happen to any of us. Listen to yourselves for just a minute and then shut the hell up about it. Try to do something nice for someone instead of second guessing and critisizing people who are already devastated. What the hell is wrong with people these days????
Angry

United States

#9 Jul 5, 2011
Whoa, now. What the hell do you know about what people want? I guarantee you if someone deliberately waited nearly 4 hours to notify me that something's happened to my child, I will go ballistic. No matter what! I've worked as a victim"s advocate and let me tell you: They want to know as soon as possible. I don't doubt Rita loved her grandson. That is not doubt in my mind. Her delivery of the news, which from what I understand was what she wanted to do, and avoidance of the family's phone calls were very inappropriate.
Saddened

United States

#10 Jul 5, 2011
Angry wrote:
Whoa, now. What the hell do you know about what people want? I guarantee you if someone deliberately waited nearly 4 hours to notify me that something's happened to my child, I will go ballistic. No matter what! I've worked as a victim"s advocate and let me tell you: They want to know as soon as possible. I don't doubt Rita loved her grandson. That is not doubt in my mind. Her delivery of the news, which from what I understand was what she wanted to do, and avoidance of the family's phone calls were very inappropriate.
I agree with you. I lost my son when he was just a baby and they came about 30 minutes later. All I could think about was what was I doing in those 30 minutes. Was I laughing? Cracking jokes? Eating? Surfing the net? All the while my son was deceased. It still haunts me, but time is healing for me and I hope it does for the family, as well.
anti guns

United States

#11 Jul 6, 2011
Why was there loaded guns in a cops house with 2 children left alone. Sorry there is not an excuse for that!!!
Steve

Gulfport, MS

#12 Jul 6, 2011
anti guns wrote:
Why was there loaded guns in a cops house with 2 children left alone. Sorry there is not an excuse for that!!!
GREAT!! Here we go with the bleeding heart, tree hugging, liberal agenda.
I'm a Cop and I have several loaded guns in my house. Granted, they are secured and my children have been raised with firearms, as I was.
Don't try and bring your political trash on this site of morning!!
stirthepot

United States

#13 Jul 6, 2011
Such vitriol is inappropriate on the day that this little boy is to be buried. Angry, I don't know if you are a family member, or someone with an agenda..but in your first post you give the notification time at 3 and a half hours...then in your latest post you have added another half hour. If you post again later today will you reach the 4 and a half/5 hour mark? That differential tells me that you are not interested in regurgitating facts so much as you are interested in regurgitating inflammatory statements. I doubt that you are a family member...and I think that you have no right to carry on this hateful tirade. Please show some respect for the family..and by family, I mean ALL of this little boy's family...parents, grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. This child was deeply loved by ALL of his family, and he deeply loved ALL of his family as well. This is an inconsolable tragedy, and your spewing is disrespectful to all concerned. You have made your point (more than once), so give it a rest.
anti guns

United States

#14 Jul 6, 2011
Oh Iam sorry I didn't mention that. Your right. OF COURSE THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN LOCKED UP ITS COMMON SENSE. BUY IF THEY COULDN'T LOCK THEM UP THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAD THEM!!
Peace

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#15 Jul 6, 2011
I'm heart-broken for all involved. Peace to everyone.
anti guns

United States

#16 Jul 6, 2011
HEy Steve say you son goes to a friends house and the dad has loaded unlocked up guns and leaves your son and his son there to go somewhere and your son accidently shoots himself who you gonna blame your dead son or the irresponsible adult male with the LOADED UNLOCKED UP GUN!!!!
Mom

Chalmette, LA

#17 Jul 6, 2011
It never ceases to amaze me how ugly and hateful some people can be. Angry..if all you have done is heard, stop for a minute and think about what you know. If the boy's mom reads this, do you think that will help her pain. How about the old saying...If you have nothing nice to say.

Hates guns...the gun was in a nightstand..the boys went digging. They didnt leave these out for kids to play with. Are you serious?

My thoughts and prayers are with the child and his family, that they may find the strenght to survive this tragedy.
anti guns

United States

#18 Jul 6, 2011
If the gun wasnt locked up in what you call a safe box or gun cabinet. Then sorry to say they did leave it out for them. There is not an excuse for this that boy should not be dead.
Steve

Gulfport, MS

#19 Jul 6, 2011
anti guns wrote:
HEy Steve say you son goes to a friends house and the dad has loaded unlocked up guns and leaves your son and his son there to go somewhere and your son accidently shoots himself who you gonna blame your dead son or the irresponsible adult male with the LOADED UNLOCKED UP GUN!!!!
That's the difference between a responsible gun owner and sniveling pansy like you!
My sons were taught almost from birth about guns. They could field strip an AK-47 and re-assemble it by the time they were 8! They know and respect gun. EVERYONE should....not just cry and whimper at the sight of one.
Boys...all boys, are curious of such things....even yours! Knowledge is power and it the parents, or grandparents know that guns are in the home....cure the curiosity with knowledge and respect.
Now...go put on your PETA shirt and smoke more dope and keep your political agenda to yourself!
anti guns

United States

#20 Jul 6, 2011
Just FYI to "mom" sounds like you may have guns in the night stand and just expect kids not to go "digging" so might wanna swing by academy sports there is a pistol cabinet with lock and key for about 80 bucks. I will be more than happy to give you the money if it means a child can be saved. Seriously lady?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pass Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking lawn care service provider. Jul 19 calebregan 1
News Two local men murdered Jul 19 YourBrother 1
Diamondhead POA is stealing people's right to vote Jul 8 Pay4urowngolf 1
Over 10,000 FEMA trailers (full-size) in Hope. ... (Feb '06) Jun 28 Bruce 124
Looking for George & Nikki Landry Jun 28 C E Lowe 2
News Bay cited for public records delay (Jul '15) Jun '16 BTPFTP 4
News Suspect in shootout with deputies facing new fe... Jun '16 nicole 1

Pass Christian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance