First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Fosters Segregation

Arlington, VA

#63 Nov 15, 2011
For many years, the United States has been a society that seeks to make everyone equal, gated communities like Gibson Island only foster segregation. Citizens of private communities forget that they are also citizens of a wider community, one that can't solve its problems with a gate.
fuckyou

Stafford, VA

#64 Mar 21, 2012
gibbson island can blow me n the ppl on it
Doug Terry

United States

#65 May 2, 2012
Here is part of the problem with the "private" Gibson Island: the shoreline of the Bay is public. Yet, one can make a de facto private beach by not letting anyone get to the water. Gibson Island people do not own the sky, the water, nor the land up to the high tide mark.

I suspect the idea of a private island is an old concept that just has never been revisited or reconsidered. Why is it necessary to live behind a closed, guarded gate? One of the main reasons is to not allow those who would seek access to the Bay to have it. Bay Ridge, just south of Annapolis, is open, but there are no parking signs everywhere. In other words, by tradition and habit, those living there want the views and the Bay to themselves. This strikes me as partly a legacy from the times when racism was an accepted part of American life.

A US Post Office should not be located in a private zone where one has to be treated like a suspected criminal to get access. We will see if that PO is closed along with thousands of others scheduled to be shutdown.

As for the whole idea of exclusivity, that is a primary goal for many Americans who become rich, to wall themselves off from the world, partly just to prove they can do it. As a result, they miss out on many things, like knowing neighbors who are different from them and see the world around them. They can have it. I don't want it.
Patricia

Pasadena, MD

#66 Aug 8, 2012
Only the new people are middle class
Gernia

Pasadena, MD

#67 Aug 23, 2012
I know someone named Tyler Davis.
lulzabutt

Cheltenham, MD

#68 Oct 8, 2012
Gernia wrote:
I know someone named Tyler Davis.
Who cares?
EMS

Pasadena, MD

#69 Oct 20, 2012
Have been on the Island several times for parties. I recall a friend of mine telling me that he was permitted access to the island when he needed to get to the Gibson Island post office for a particular stamp. That is not to say you aren't heavily monitored, because you are, especially if you an outsider. They want you in and out as quick as possible.
Lenin

Cary, NC

#70 Feb 6, 2013
Inquiring minds wrote:
just tell the guard you want to go to the post office. When denied access file complaint with post master general. that will cause a lot of problems for the island
March on Gibson Island's 1% with OWS!
pragmaticprogres sive

Frederick, MD

#71 Mar 10, 2013
I have lived in maryland my entire life and never even knew this place existed inthe form of a gated community. On my travels from frederick to hoopers island i have noticed the signage on the highway but there is nothing to indicate that it is private. Yesterday on a whim my husband suggested we drive there. Im now fascinated with the audacity of this uber exclusive self baricading preppy handbook society that must surely reside there. It's both cool and obnoxious that it exists. Of course now I feel compelled to see it someday....
Dan

Brooklyn, NY

#72 Apr 21, 2013
From what I understand, this is a really racist place. An associate of mine worked for a rental place. One day, he brought something over to somebody along with a black co worker. The customer told him "dont bring that n%@#%r back here" upon completion of the job. So, yeah, they really DO try to live in the 20s.
Nearby resident

Pasadena, MD

#73 Jun 28, 2013
People there seem very nice. Many are very well educated and hardworking in professional positions. They pay county taxes, but, I heard they have very high corporation fees to maintain their roads and trash pickup, etc. everyone in the area enjoys their 4th of July fireworks display on the Magothy River.
island girl

Stevensville, MD

#74 Mar 19, 2014
Inquiring minds wrote:
just tell the guard you want to go to the post office. When denied access file complaint with post master general. that will cause a lot of problems for the island
why would someone lie to get in a place they don't belong? it's private property. where is the argument? do you really want someone snooping around your house?

“Hmmm....”

Since: Feb 14

Ecstasy

#75 Mar 21, 2014
I used to live in Cape St Claire. 1972-80 It was private then but we used to sail over to it. No one ever said anything to us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who wants to snapchat Dec 14 Davy boy 1
Snyder's Willow Grove poised to return to Arund... Nov '14 Hoho ho 2
defining a diabetes cure (Apr '09) Nov '14 Langi 3
Debate: Abortion Debate - Severna Park, MD (Mar '12) Oct '14 mem 2
barbeque sauce (Jun '12) Oct '14 Diana 15
Pizza Delivery Oct '14 bad meat 2
Brooklyn Park residents get educated on gang ac... (Oct '09) Sep '14 pico 9
Pasadena Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web