Fosters Segregation

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2011

For many years, the United States has been a society that seeks to make everyone equal, gated communities like Gibson Island only foster segregation. Citizens of private communities forget that they are also citizens of a wider community, one that can't solve its problems with a gate.
fuckyou

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2012

gibbson island can blow me n the ppl on it
Doug Terry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Here is part of the problem with the "private" Gibson Island: the shoreline of the Bay is public. Yet, one can make a de facto private beach by not letting anyone get to the water. Gibson Island people do not own the sky, the water, nor the land up to the high tide mark.

I suspect the idea of a private island is an old concept that just has never been revisited or reconsidered. Why is it necessary to live behind a closed, guarded gate? One of the main reasons is to not allow those who would seek access to the Bay to have it. Bay Ridge, just south of Annapolis, is open, but there are no parking signs everywhere. In other words, by tradition and habit, those living there want the views and the Bay to themselves. This strikes me as partly a legacy from the times when racism was an accepted part of American life.

A US Post Office should not be located in a private zone where one has to be treated like a suspected criminal to get access. We will see if that PO is closed along with thousands of others scheduled to be shutdown.

As for the whole idea of exclusivity, that is a primary goal for many Americans who become rich, to wall themselves off from the world, partly just to prove they can do it. As a result, they miss out on many things, like knowing neighbors who are different from them and see the world around them. They can have it. I don't want it.
Patricia

Pasadena, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2012

Only the new people are middle class
Gernia

Pasadena, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

I know someone named Tyler Davis.
lulzabutt

Brandywine, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Gernia wrote:
I know someone named Tyler Davis.
Who cares?
EMS

Pasadena, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2012

Have been on the Island several times for parties. I recall a friend of mine telling me that he was permitted access to the island when he needed to get to the Gibson Island post office for a particular stamp. That is not to say you aren't heavily monitored, because you are, especially if you an outsider. They want you in and out as quick as possible.
Lenin

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Inquiring minds wrote:
just tell the guard you want to go to the post office. When denied access file complaint with post master general. that will cause a lot of problems for the island
March on Gibson Island's 1% with OWS!
pragmaticprogres sive

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

I have lived in maryland my entire life and never even knew this place existed inthe form of a gated community. On my travels from frederick to hoopers island i have noticed the signage on the highway but there is nothing to indicate that it is private. Yesterday on a whim my husband suggested we drive there. Im now fascinated with the audacity of this uber exclusive self baricading preppy handbook society that must surely reside there. It's both cool and obnoxious that it exists. Of course now I feel compelled to see it someday....
Dan

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

From what I understand, this is a really racist place. An associate of mine worked for a rental place. One day, he brought something over to somebody along with a black co worker. The customer told him "dont bring that n%@#%r back here" upon completion of the job. So, yeah, they really DO try to live in the 20s.
Nearby resident

Pasadena, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

People there seem very nice. Many are very well educated and hardworking in professional positions. They pay county taxes, but, I heard they have very high corporation fees to maintain their roads and trash pickup, etc. everyone in the area enjoys their 4th of July fireworks display on the Magothy River.
island girl

Chester, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Mar 19

Inquiring minds wrote:
just tell the guard you want to go to the post office. When denied access file complaint with post master general. that will cause a lot of problems for the island
why would someone lie to get in a place they don't belong? it's private property. where is the argument? do you really want someone snooping around your house?

“Hmmm....”

Since: Feb 14

Ecstasy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Mar 21

I used to live in Cape St Claire. 1972-80 It was private then but we used to sail over to it. No one ever said anything to us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 73 of73
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pasadena Discussions

Search the Pasadena Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Stuck in the 80's Thu Confused 3
Debate: Marijuana - Glen Burnie, MD (Aug '10) Apr 14 Sneek Blee 23
MD Who do you support for Governor in Maryland in ... (Oct '10) Apr 12 fyi 185
barbeque sauce (Jun '12) Apr 9 mary 9
Review: JP Small Engine Repair Mar 26 Mad 1
mariano diaz Dec '13 lisa 1
Homeview Contractors (Mar '11) Dec '13 KButler 21
•••
•••