Dollar Thrifty Accepts New $1.43 Billion Offer From Hertz

Full story: News on 6 Tulsa

Dollar Thrifty has accepted a new bid of about $1.43 billion from Hertz, which is battling Avis for the rental car company.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Sep 30, 2010
realist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

will the last company to leave tulsa, please turn off the light? Oh wait, we already did that. And I thought right to work was going to bring all these new high paying jobs to Oklahoma.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

CHA-CHING.........Executives said to be looking at Mansion blueprints.
Ambrosia918

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Ugggg
traska

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

My son was hired there about 6 months ago. Will this mean he moves back under my roof?
slimjim

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

We have been overtaken by greed and there will be a cut back.
izmo

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

Say goodbye to those jobs. A lot of the time these decisions have nothing to do with local taxes or right to work. It usually is the CEO going "I don't want to live in Tulsa." or "Florida really sounds nice." I've seen this happen many times.
Alternatively, I've seen other corporations setup shop here like Fleming where the CEO had family in Tulsa. That was the sole factor in the decision making process.
realist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

izmo wrote:
Say goodbye to those jobs. A lot of the time these decisions have nothing to do with local taxes or right to work. It usually is the CEO going "I don't want to live in Tulsa." or "Florida really sounds nice." I've seen this happen many times.
Alternatively, I've seen other corporations setup shop here like Fleming where the CEO had family in Tulsa. That was the sole factor in the decision making process.
You are absolutely right and we knew that all along. My comment was sarcasm because Frank Keating sold right to work as the solution to all the economic problems in Oklahoma. Ole Gene Stipe tried to pass a bill funding 8 laning I-35 from Texas into Oklahoma to help with the traffic for all the companies that were just waiting to get Right to work passed so they could open up shop here. All right to work did was DEPRESS wages of the people of Oklahoma...and we did get some highly coveted "call center" jobs.
Companies do not want to move here...why would a New Jersey company want to move here even though our taxes are lower ect? Because no one wants to live in a state that is a reactionary right wing nut place where instead of making the place a better place to live, the powers that be spend all their time woman hating and gay bashing. Everytime Sally Kern opens her mouth or Inhofe shows up on C-Span, we lose a few more potential jobs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

realist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right and we knew that all along. My comment was sarcasm because Frank Keating sold right to work as the solution to all the economic problems in Oklahoma. Ole Gene Stipe tried to pass a bill funding 8 laning I-35 from Texas into Oklahoma to help with the traffic for all the companies that were just waiting to get Right to work passed so they could open up shop here. All right to work did was DEPRESS wages of the people of Oklahoma...and we did get some highly coveted "call center" jobs.
Companies do not want to move here...why would a New Jersey company want to move here even though our taxes are lower ect? Because no one wants to live in a state that is a reactionary right wing nut place where instead of making the place a better place to live, the powers that be spend all their time woman hating and gay bashing. Everytime Sally Kern opens her mouth or Inhofe shows up on C-Span, we lose a few more potential jobs.
hmmmmmmmmm and yet Vanguard another rental company moved here from Florida, because of labor, taxes and the central location. If you want to spout crap,......don't forget the tollet paper.
realist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Judged:

Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>hmmmmmmmmm and yet Vanguard another rental company moved here from Florida, because of labor, taxes and the central location. If you want to spout crap,......don't forget the tollet paper.
run by Kathy Taylors husband and quickly sold to enterprise...was never a long term proposition...how many people are over there now? They were here, what, a year or two?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

realist wrote:
<quoted text>
run by Kathy Taylors husband and quickly sold to enterprise...was never a long term proposition...how many people are over there now? They were here, what, a year or two?
Nice of Kathy and her husband to sell us out huh.

“I am not a man”

Since: Mar 09

Tulsa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>hmmmmmmmmm and yet Vanguard another rental company moved here from Florida, because of labor, taxes and the central location. If you want to spout crap,......don't forget the tollet paper.
Vanguard moved here for reasons beyond those you mentioned. It also had a little something to do with where Bill Lobeck lives-Tulsa. People in the industry never believed it was a long term thing for Alamo/National to stay in Tulsa. Knew he would sell it off, which he did.

“Organized ignorance, eh?”

Since: Apr 09

Hollywood, Yugoslavia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Not in it for the money wrote:
<quoted text>
Vanguard moved here for reasons beyond those you mentioned. It also had a little something to do with where Bill Lobeck lives-Tulsa. People in the industry never believed it was a long term thing for Alamo/National to stay in Tulsa. Knew he would sell it off, which he did.
Hey you! I've been thinking about you lately when I see these news stories, wondering what your take on the whole deal was. Good to see that you are at least still kicking!

“I am not a man”

Tulsa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Invest a Gate wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey you! I've been thinking about you lately when I see these news stories, wondering what your take on the whole deal was. Good to see that you are at least still kicking!
My take is this is driven by corporate greed. The Compnay that is profitable, has bounced back from economic hardships on many occasions, has a better business model than its' competitors is being canibalizied. Doesn't make sense, business wise. If the Company whose stock is 4-5 times the value of the "acquirer" and then takes on that business model, one that is not profitable, where is the logic?
Anyway, I ramble. How have you been?

“Organized ignorance, eh?”

Since: Apr 09

Hollywood, Yugoslavia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

<quoted text>
Anyway, I ramble. How have you been?
Not much different. Still running this way and that way all the time. Hope all this turmoil at work is not causing you too much stress!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

<quoted text>
Well at least he and Kathy were consistant, they sold out the people in Florida to come here and sell out the people of Tulsa.

“I am not a man”

Tulsa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Invest a Gate wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much different. Still running this way and that way all the time. Hope all this turmoil at work is not causing you too much stress!
Fortunately, my home life gives me balance.

“I am not a man”

Tulsa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Well at least he and Kathy were consistant, they sold out the people in Florida to come here and sell out the people of Tulsa.
Very consistent. Second time he sold a car rental in Tulsa. Thrifty being the first.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

<quoted text>
Very consistent. Second time he sold a car rental in Tulsa. Thrifty being the first.
Yep
just wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

No job is "safe" these days. I pray the DTG jobs stay here but that is unlikely. I am just trying to think positive. Corporate greed = sin.
Restored2x

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2010

Hey Gate! Last time I saw you,(well, I apologize)- anyways, for all - TulsaNow has a forum that is interesting reading on this takeover - www.tulsanow.org

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Parsippany News Video

•••
Parsippany Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Parsippany Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••