NJ college reverse illegal immigrant ...

NJ college reverse illegal immigrant tuition rule

There are 22 comments on the www.ctpost.com story from Apr 21, 2011, titled NJ college reverse illegal immigrant tuition rule. In it, www.ctpost.com reports that:

Illegal immigrant students will no longer be eligible for in-county tuition rates at one New Jersey college.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.ctpost.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“starting to wake up”

Since: Apr 09

brookhaven ny

#1 Apr 21, 2011
yippy
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#4 Apr 21, 2011
Those mental midgets must have realized giving one ILLEGAL ALIEN in-county or in-state tuition rates means they must give the same rates to all students in or out of state.
Fraternity Row

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Apr 21, 2011
Just ONE college? I guess that's a start. It doesn't really stop them from going to another college down the road.
Maggie

Saint George, UT

#6 Apr 21, 2011
Keep it up NJ and I may have to move back.Joking,of course. I will be dead and gone before you can clean that state up ,but it is a beginning. Love your Gov though.
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#8 Apr 21, 2011
Fraternity Row wrote:
Just ONE college? I guess that's a start. It doesn't really stop them from going to another college down the road.
True. But how many colleges can operate with all students paying in state rates? Most colleges depend on out of state rates which are much higher.

Federal law states any college that gives in-state rates to ILLEGAL ALIENS must give the same rate to all students whether they are in or out of state residents:

Federal law passed in 1996 prohibits illegal aliens from receiving in-state tuition rates at public institutions of higher education. Specifically, Section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (Title 8, Chapter 14, Sec. 1623(a)) states: "an alien who is not lawfully present in the United States shall not be eligible on the basis of residence within a State (or a political subdivision) for any post-secondary education benefit unless a citizen or national of the United States is eligible for such a benefit (in no less an amount, duration, and scope) without regard to whether the citizen or national is such a resident."

Since: Apr 10

Houston, TX

#9 Apr 21, 2011
"Supporters, including many illegal immigrant students, say those who are brought to the United States as children, are educated in local school systems and graduate from U.S. high schools are faced with a dead-end after their senior year, regardless of how hard they work. They say getting a college education and entering the workforce would make them less of a burden on taxpayers."

How about returning to the country that you are a citizen of? Your parents screwed you!

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/NJ-college...

Houston, TX

#10 Apr 21, 2011
Pando wrote:
Those mental midgets must have realized giving one ILLEGAL ALIEN in-county or in-state tuition rates means they must give the same rates to all students in or out of state.
Why give a illegal a $6,000.00 discount? Pay up.

Houston, TX

#11 Apr 21, 2011
Fraternity Row wrote:
Then people start noticing that the lifeboat is getting full and they start looking at the passengers and figuring out who belongs and who don't. More illegals means less seats for US citizens.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#13 Apr 22, 2011
if they are illegal, they shouldn't even be here in america. right?

why are the feds not deporting them?

it's the LAW!

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#14 Apr 22, 2011
The DREAM Act's astronomical costs

DREAM Act advocates estimate that approximately 65,000 * DREAMers graduate
from high school or obtain their high school equivalency. Under the Act,
DREAMers up to the age of 35 would be able to apply for benefits under the
Act. For the eighteen year span between eighteen year old and 35 year old
DREAMers, approximately 1.17 million illegal aliens would be eligible for
benefits under the Act during the first year alone with an estimated 65,000
every year thereafter. Approximately 455,000 DREAMers would be under the
age of 24 and would qualify for federal financial aid as dependent students
allowing each of them to borrow up to $5500/year. The additional 715,000
DREAMers would qualify as independent students allowing them to borrow up to
$9500/year in federal student loans each. Under this formula, federal
student loans for DREAMers in dependent status would be approximately
$2,502,500,000 while independent DREAMers would receive a combined total of
approximately $6,792,500,000 during the first year.

At the beginning of the second year of the DREAM Act being in effect, an
additional 65,000 DREAMers would be eligible for federal loans of up to
$5500 and approximately 65,000 DREAMers would've turned 24 years of age and
would be eligible to borrow up to $9500/year. The costs to the U.S. taxpayer
of subsidizing the tuition of the approximately 1.23 million illegal aliens
who would benefit from the DREAM Act over the first two years of its
enactment would be $19,207,500,000.

http://www.examiner.com/immigration-in-nation...

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#15 Apr 22, 2011
As it should be...

Since: Jun 08

Woodbridge, VA

#16 Apr 22, 2011
According to Delegate Neal Parrot in MD, that state will be forced to subside tuition for illegals at over $17,000 per student (WMAL radio).

Now, how much is NJ subsidizing? Is this level of giving to illegals sustainable? No.

Does not NJ already have one of the highest national tax rates and are they not losing residents who can no longer afford state taxes? This is what it looks like from this and other reports I have heard: http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/%E2%80...

If all NJ schools followed this lead, how much could be saved and could taxes be lowered?

Montclair State University instate tuition is about $9,600 and out of state is about $17,600 (this was in 2009) and posted on the Americans for Legal Immigration site.

This break is paid for by taxes, tuition hikes, etc. What could NJ do if this was repealed state-wide?

Woodbridge, VA

#17 Apr 22, 2011
Well, spring break...

Here are a few things pertaining to just how bad it is in NJ:

http://americasright.com/...

http://www.njit.edu/financialaid/costs/reside... (How NJ determines residency for tuition)

I am still trying to find an estimate of how much it will cost NJ if this persists but there is a lot of stuff to wade through.
Free is free

Santa Fe, NM

#18 Apr 22, 2011
I believe that's called "making the situation right".

Illegals shouldn't even *be* here, but to give them taxpayer-subsidized resident tuition rates because they are here illegally flies in the face of all that's just and decent.

Let's hope other states wake up and see the inherent injustice of providing subsidized tuition to illegals.
Mona

Seattle, WA

#19 Apr 22, 2011
At what point do these Brilliant children comfront their parents who put them in this situation? They blame the system, racist, everyone except the one's who brought them here!

It is ridiculous (sp?) to educate an illegal alien beyond high school because of the very limited employment prospects. It is illegal to hire them. to give them all green cards as the Dream Act suggested would be anti American, because dumping at least 12 million unemployed would create more of a problem for us citizens. Bottom line, if I were an illegal alien who had received an American education, I would go back to my native country with my advance skills and make something of my life. Don't tell me you don't speak the language, yes you do, your parents never stopped speaking it! They never learned English! Don't tell me you don't know anyone there, neither did you parents when they came over to mooch welfare!

Centers for Immigration Studies April report: 71% of ILLEGAL ALIEN HISPANICS ARE ON WELFARE, COMPARED TO 39% US CITIZENS!!! cis.org
spud

Detroit, MI

#21 Apr 23, 2011
This should be the first thing all colleges and universities do to close their funding gaps. Government cash has created an education bubble that is about to burst. It's a shame our government is too stupid to see things like this coming.

Woodbridge, VA

#22 Apr 23, 2011
Mona wrote:
At what point do these Brilliant children comfront their parents who put them in this situation? They blame the system, racist, everyone except the one's who brought them here!
It is ridiculous (sp?) to educate an illegal alien beyond high school because of the very limited employment prospects. It is illegal to hire them. to give them all green cards as the Dream Act suggested would be anti American, because dumping at least 12 million unemployed would create more of a problem for us citizens. Bottom line, if I were an illegal alien who had received an American education, I would go back to my native country with my advance skills and make something of my life. Don't tell me you don't speak the language, yes you do, your parents never stopped speaking it! They never learned English! Don't tell me you don't know anyone there, neither did you parents when they came over to mooch welfare!
Centers for Immigration Studies April report: 71% of ILLEGAL ALIEN HISPANICS ARE ON WELFARE, COMPARED TO 39% US CITIZENS!!! cis.org
They will never hold their parents responsible because we have a whole culture built on it is all someone else's fault. It is never Daddy's fault that he knocked over a gas station. It is the police's fault for catching him. It is the school's fault because he dropped out at 16 to sell drugs instead. It is the teacher's fault for giving him too much homework he did not like. It is his parent's fault because they were too strict and would not let him hand with his friends so he had to sneak out. Then the stupid gas station owner hit the silent alarm instead of just handing over the money first so this is why Daddy got in trouble. Daddy was fine, just trying to get money because he could not get a good job because he had no education.

Why should the illegally here kids blame their parents. Of course we are the ones to blame. Yes, the US was too soft on the issue and gave encouragement through loopholes in policies, an amesty in 1986, etc. But they also knew that not coming here through the proper channels was illegals and they could face legal action if caught. But the parents are not at fault because they chose to break the law.

Somehow we need to get back to teaching children who is accountable for what and that people will be accountable for their actions.

And the only reason we have to educate children here illegally in grades K-12 is another loophole from 1984.

If we end the incentives and such... Also if we end instate tuition can we lower tuitin costs for the other students? There are many bright students who college or grad school is a dream because they do not qualify for aid, grants, etc and loans are getting harder to get. This may be the difference between that child legally here to go to college or not.

“The Hearse is on the Way”

Since: Apr 11

The Artist Formerly Known As..

#23 Apr 30, 2011
At least with all these freebies the illegals are getting people are waking up to see the problem they are here in this country
Anonymous

Boise, ID

#24 Apr 30, 2011
Genie Janie

Bloomington, IN

#25 Jul 9, 2011
Good for them. It's about time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parsippany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Watercolors 11 hr Jack Kelly 1
The Great Wazu, Parsippany,NJ (Jan '13) Sun G Hawthorne 4
Review: Flowers By Rana (Apr '11) Jul '16 Marcus 6
O"Dowd's Dairy Milk Trucks circa 1944 (Jun '07) Jul '16 Bigb23 3
News Stocks close the day lower May '16 BIG PHARMA 1
Con Game (Jun '10) May '16 Tony Price 77 7
Beware of Powder Mill Towing and Auto repair (Jul '15) May '16 Tony Price 77 5

Parsippany Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance