Teacher jailed on child abuse charge

Teacher jailed on child abuse charge

There are 64 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Mar 10, 2008, titled Teacher jailed on child abuse charge. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Bradenton, Florida The Manatee County Sheriff's Office says a teacher who twisted a teenager's wrist in class and then ignored his pain has been charged with child abuse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Oh - My

Dunnellon, FL

#1 Mar 10, 2008
After we hear just what a fine young man this is, we will find out that he is just like 9 out of 10 of these little disrespectful brats.
becca

Tampa, FL

#2 Mar 10, 2008
I don't know the teacher or the student. HOWEVER, I do know Harlee, and subbed there ONCE........only once.

Since I've plenty of experience with middle-school behavioral problems, I know of what I speak. Harlee has a pretty rough group of kids. I'm thinking this is just a tad overblown, and the student is probably gloating over this big stink when he should be eating humble pie. CONTENT OF CHARACTER should always be considered before seeking revenge. Hope someone sits this kid down and has a talk with him..........probably had worse treatment from his baby sister.
Gregg

Auburndale, FL

#3 Mar 10, 2008
This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Here the teacher should have gotten a pay raise and a Medal, but instead gets arrested?. What a waste of tax payer's money. We live in very strange world when what has always been right is now wrong, and what has always been wrong now is right...this Country is getting crazier by the day!
Scott at USF

Tampa, FL

#4 Mar 10, 2008
Don't worry. The kid will probably end up in prison, shot by cops, or shot by some other hoodlum. It will work out in the end.
POPO

Largo, FL

#5 Mar 10, 2008
The little brat probably deserved it. Thats the problem, parents don't want to take responsibility when it comes to raising their brats, but they are the first ones to complain when their little angels get reprimended. What different would have made if the kid's parents twisted their own kid's arm. Parents need to do the job and stop making excused for their kids
POPO

Largo, FL

#6 Mar 10, 2008
Scott at USF wrote:
Don't worry. The kid will probably end up in prison, shot by cops, or shot by some other hoodlum. It will work out in the end.
We can only hope
Pasco Guy

Brooksville, FL

#7 Mar 11, 2008
Gregg wrote:
This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Here the teacher should have gotten a pay raise and a Medal, but instead gets arrested?. What a waste of tax payer's money. We live in very strange world when what has always been right is now wrong, and what has always been wrong now is right...this Country is getting crazier by the day!
Gregg, you bring up a good point here. Everything is geting to be opposite of what it should be.

It is "written", in the end times, people will make what is wrong, right, and what has always been wrong, right. They will confuse the world's people... and calling themselves "wise", they became as "fools".

So be it!
Holly

Hernando, FL

#8 Mar 11, 2008
Just another example of how kids do not have to respect grown-up. I feel sorry for the teacher. He was trying to teach respect and follow the rules. this kid does not believe he has to follow the rules.
candy

Zephyrhills, FL

#11 Mar 11, 2008
Bo, you have lost your dam mine. You are very lucky, that you were locked up. Because, had that been my child! I just can put it out on the net like that, but just say {you've better know the dance}.
The Judge

Saint Petersburg, FL

#13 Mar 11, 2008
Candy sounds like part of the problem.
Boo

Tampa, FL

#14 Mar 11, 2008
candy wrote:
Bo, you have lost your dam mine. You are very lucky, that you were locked up. Because, had that been my child! I just can put it out on the net like that, but just say {you've better know the dance}.
Ok it's not BO, and you are probably the one who has childred who do not know what displine is. Its parents like you who make the new generation children the way they are. I say bring back corporal punishment in the schools. A good ole fashion pattling is what these kids need.
Boo

Tampa, FL

#15 Mar 11, 2008
The Judge wrote:
Candy sounds like part of the problem.
Yes she does
Boo

Tampa, FL

#16 Mar 11, 2008
Steven Tamayo wrote:
its funny because if it were a WHITE child you all would be up in arms
What are you talking about. Everyone is up in arms. WHo cares what color the kid is. Or did you mean. White teacher black child. Who cares.
Boo

Tampa, FL

#17 Mar 11, 2008
candy wrote:
Bo, you have lost your dam mine. You are very lucky, that you were locked up. Because, had that been my child! I just can put it out on the net like that, but just say {you've better know the dance}.
Coming up in a cuban home, having your ear pulled or beaten with a pan or switch was a normal thing and guess what? I don't have a criminal record, I went to college, and I'm very successful. Oh and I'm not mental screwed up.
Diane in Valrico

Clermont, FL

#18 Mar 11, 2008
We have taken away any form of effective authority from the teachers. When I was a child in school they could paddle you and I assure you there was minimal problems with the students acting out.

Today a lot of students get away with massive disrespects upon the teachers and the puny threat of suspension or expulsion is looked on as a vacation by the students, our educational system has denigrated to the point of being ineffective. This is evidenced by the lower reading and math skills of today's youth.

The people hurt by the actions of students who cannot abide by class room rules are the good students in these classes.

The teachers are hard pressed to maintain any kind of control over classes. With the law-suit happy public who see this type of incident as "hitting the lottery". If I had shown the disrespect for the teacher's authority that this student had done, I would have also "gotten it" when I got home too.
KmW

Safety Harbor, FL

#19 Mar 11, 2008
I had this teacher 30 yrs ago... he was a hard-xxx then; but how can teachers do their job when these kids don't care, and look at you and do what they want....
Race is irrelevant; teachers have to have some way to maintain order and charging him with a crime only fuels the fire for these punk kids...
I don't worry about this being my kid, because they wouldn't dare direspect a teacher in such a way....
Kay

Holiday, FL

#20 Mar 11, 2008
You're so right. Look at the news. I remember my principal had a paddle with holes for those who really misbehaved. You know he almost never had to use it. It was just the thought getting it used on you that inclined to make you behave.(this was in the 1950's in my elementary school in southern Indiana. Not that I think all kids need corporal punishment but lets face it the teacher could have just had the child thown out of school. Then he can be on the streets with real criminals. Then so goes the road to prison etc.
Pasco Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Gregg, you bring up a good point here. Everything is geting to be opposite of what it should be.
It is "written", in the end times, people will make what is wrong, right, and what has always been wrong, right. They will confuse the world's people... and calling themselves "wise", they became as "fools".
So be it!
anonymous

Orlando, FL

#21 Mar 11, 2008
Steven Tamayo wrote:
its funny because if it were a WHITE child you all would be up in arms
I do not recall any statements on whether the child was white or black. What is your point! The teacher is black and everyone is standing behind him.
KmW

Safety Harbor, FL

#22 Mar 11, 2008
Steven Tamayo wrote:
its funny because if it were a WHITE child you all would be up in arms
I don't recall the news reports mentioning the child's race..... and it really doesn't matter.
KmW

Safety Harbor, FL

#23 Mar 11, 2008
Boo wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming up in a cuban home, having your ear pulled or beaten with a pan or switch was a normal thing and guess what? I don't have a criminal record, I went to college, and I'm very successful. Oh and I'm not mental screwed up.
If paddling is so bad, why then are we still a functioning society, most people born befor 1980 were paddled.... Its not about the paddling, the paddling is only a consequence a child can understand... kids today do not understand consequences..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parrish Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WTF is wrong with Robin Adkins? 23 hr Blahblah547 1
News 3 Tampa Starbucks Among Those To Be Closed (Jul '08) Sep 15 Yeah MEG RYAN 49
Hurricane Irma impact in Bradenton-Sarasota Sep 10 Irma in Bradenton 1
Jesse "Buster" Goforth, Wife Phyllis Sister Edith (Dec '09) Aug 30 Jennie Goforth Bunce 2
News Sunday Favorites: The Slow and Wobbly (Mar '15) Aug 29 indict they sayanim 9
Kay Hine is "Murdered" not "Missing" in 1972. (Aug '08) Aug 26 The Guilty Project 89
Who is the woman yelling at Lucas Shamblin? Aug '17 Don't 2

Parrish Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Parrish Mortgages